Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you do your Paid work on ?

• G5 or Intel

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • G4 or earlier

Votes: 69 63.3%
  • other

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
Just wondering who is still doing paid work of any kind (print, web, code) on a G4 or slower machine?

(besides me, print work on G4)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I voted G4 mainly because that's what I'm working on right this minute at home as I write... a dual 1.42 with 2gb of RAM on which I'm drawing diagrams which illustrate social networking in Illustrator CS1 for a 40pg 2-colour publication which I'm working on in Quark 6.5 on Tiger.

My main work machine in the office/studio is a dual 2.5 G5 with 2.5gb RAM, but I work flexible hours and can work from home if I want, which I often do, including at 1am on a Sunday morning. :rolleyes:

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I'm on my G4 mini w/ 1Gb ram, listening to radio on iTunes while recording with radiolover, using lightroom, pse4, iPhoto, and bridge, while mail and iCal are open and, of course, Safari. I must admit that my workflow has improved dramatically since installing desktop manager... I can't wait for Leopard!:)

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
Most of my work isnt paid, Mainly homework however i get comissioned occasionally. I use a macbook (Wish it was pro) for photoshop and some 3d work.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
i do all my work on my pb, but before this i used a powermac G3 to do ALOT of video editing which was awful needless to say but i was able to use a dual 1 gig quicksilver for my larger projects. i love that machine and the design of the case

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
My main machine is an MBP, but I do a lot of on-site freelance on spare G4s. My back-up desktop is a G4, and the only reason it gathers dust is because it's in the basement. Banished by the new baby.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
My Powerbook is perfectly fine for all my paid work, email etc.

I also edit films and make dvds on it as part of my job. (dvds of workshops, people signing etc).

iMovie HD and iDVD are fine on it, tho processing scene transitions, effects, and encoding for high-quality DVDs take a while.

It's still a lovely machine and does almost everything I want.

The main problems are mechanical

- Firewire port is burn-out, am using a PC card for firewire, but it won't work with Target mode, which is a pain for backups (until Leopard comes out.)

- the internal cable to the LCD is wearing through inside the hinge - blacking out the bottom 2 inches of the screen. I've already had it replaced once - cost £150, and it is wearing through again. My PB is now almost non-portable, as I try to close the lid as little as possible.

- the DVD burner is becoming unreliable with modern media

- often it won't wake from sleep caused by low battery (even if fully recharged).

Am waiting for santa rosa to come out before jumping to a Macbook. (that's my excuse anyway).

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I do all my work on G4s or G3s from my home. I run a small computer reselling business and my main unit is the Dual G4 Gig-E in my sig. My Powerbook comes with me to school, and I do all my essays, powerpoints, etc. on that. My next upgrade is going to be to an Aluminum G4 powerbook at some point, when I get enough money to buy one.

G4s are not dead in any respect (other than maybe intense graphics) in the business world.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
I only have an iBook G4. I do mostly volunteer work, but some of it is paid. I do photoshop, html, and even some 3-D modeling all on my iBook.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I'm using a MacBook (Intel) as my main workhorse now (mostly web programming), but I did use an iBook G4@800MHz until May last year (and for a week just before Christmas when the MacBook needed service), and would probably still use that if the hard disk hadn't started to act up on me (ironically it still works, but since I didn't have any backup machines I couldn't take that chance as I depend on it for work, so I got the MacBook). Apart from a bit lack in (internal) hard drive space, the iBook was (and is) more than powerful enough for my use with its maxed out 640 MB RAM...

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
At work we still use an Apple //e every day to run music learning software. The machine is oldern than me, and it stilll works flawlessly. Some of the floppy disks have seen better days, though.

Most kids ask if it's a microwave and why the screen is only green and black.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I use a 15" 1.5GHz G4 Powerbook (well, try to - the trackpad sensor has broken so I'm getting the intermittent sleep issue) as my computer, and my dad who's a professional photographer with a Canon 1DS uses a dual 867MHz MDD G4, although it looks like that's going to be upgraded soon when he buys a new camera...

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
PB 17" 1.33
A lot of Keynote & Powerpoint work.
Some videos.
Some website work.

In the corporate world - both Australia and UK.

As with many people (high-end graphics & video notwithstanding) the processor speed is not as important to me as the thinking process and the ability to get stuff done effortlessly and seamlessly.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Like others, I wasn't super sure how to vote. I do most of my clinical computer-based work at the moment on computers the hospital owns, which are Windows PCs and Windows Server thin clients of various vintages. I do most of my research work on my iBook G4. I use my iMac G5 almost purely for leisure activities.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
1 - 17" PB 1.33 G4 2 GB RAM
2 - 1.42 Dual G4 2 GB RAM - one at office, one at home.

Tons of print and video work. All machines are still workhorses.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
up until this past november, i used a 1GHZ TiBook for everything (InDesign, Illustrator, FCP,. After Effects, FontLab), now i use the MBP in my signature, and i have access to a G5 at the office i work at.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
video transfers, photo slideshows, audio transfer on a g4 mdd dually 1.25 w/2 GB RAM and plenty of HD space.

loud, but a great machine :)

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I guess it depends on how you define 'paid work'. We use a G4 400mhz tower as our office computer at work. We just stepped out of the dark ages and went from OS 9 to tiger and from 26k dial-up to 3.0mb dsl 4 months ago, and it's like a new machine! (maybe someone should start up an OS 9 in use thread:D ). I can't believe how well tiger works with the second slowest G4 out there! I only get the beach ball when rapidly switching from app to app. And that's with only 640mb ram!

It's used for office type things like internet but sometimes I fireup Quark 4, photo elements 2, freehand 9, and use the old scanner. But there is talk of a used dual G5 for video editing:) .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.