Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bomadian

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
After being letdown by the performace of a dedicated analog to digital converter i'm now looking for a good dv camcorder that allows analog to digital passthrough from vcr to mac, ideally with s-video input. Basically, the dac-200 i have been using doesnt like poor quality video tapes and drops frames like nobodys business, plus the audio levels are far too quiet (my tubeyou videos are quieter than everyone elses !). I never had this problem when I used to use my old canon dv camcorder for the same process but that never had s-video input.

Any cheap s-video capable ones out there ?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
Possibly the best converter on the market for moving analog footage onto your Mac is the Canopus ADVC-300. What sets it apart form the others is it's built-in Time Base Corrector - an essential item in stabilizing the playback signal from analog footage. Even if you use a camcorder to convert the footage, it's advisable to add a TBC between the playback device and whatever you choose to use to convert the signal from analog to digital.

As for the audio level issue; the only thing that would help boost (or otherwise control) the audio signal prior to digital conversion would be adding an audio mixer in-line between the playback device and the DV device.

-DH

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Last Post With Link To Detail Of Canopus ADVC-300

Possibly the best converter on the market for moving analog footage onto your Mac is the Canopus ADVC-300. What sets it apart form the others is it's built-in Time Base Corrector - an essential item in stabilizing the playback signal from analog footage. Even if you use a camcorder to convert the footage, it's advisable to add a TBC between the playback device and whatever you choose to use to convert the signal from analog to digital.

As for the audio level issue; the only thing that would help boost (or otherwise control) the audio signal prior to digital conversion would be adding an audio mixer in-line between the playback device and the DV device.
Good call. There's a link to the details up in your post quote now. ;)

Posts without links are like love without sex. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.