PDA

View Full Version : No love for G5 users with faulty machines

decksnap
Mar 4, 2007, 01:33 PM
I'm still trying to find solutions to the Powermac G5 random shutdown issue. What's bugging me is I really feel this is a 'recallable' situation, just reading about so many others with the same issue. However, the problem doesn't typically kick in for users until about a year out, and those of us without Applecare are stuck. Is there any way to get my voice heard without paying apple for the privilege of doing so?

I know they've had issues left, right and center with the power supplies for G5 machines- and they currently have a power supply extension program for both the iMac G5 as well as the Powermac G5, though just outside of my serial number range. How does one go about 'raising a stink' on this situation, so to speak. I buy enough Apple hardware to keep Steve Jobs in turtlenecks for life. I just can't rationalize paying for this repair when I know they've got faulty hardware on this one. I'm hoping they will expand the repair program.

Zwhaler
Mar 4, 2007, 02:38 PM
I would just find out much it costs to repair and just pay for it. Unless it is absurd, which then you should complain.

GFLPraxis
Mar 4, 2007, 03:03 PM
And that's why I tell everyone to buy AppleCare.

zap2
Mar 4, 2007, 03:43 PM
my iMac G5 is have a similar problem(random shut downs when it goes to sleep, won't wake up after it went to sleep and sometimes when it goes to sleep the fans go full blast and won't turn off....its weird. Apple's all ready fix it for a similar problem, the replaced the logic board, then the power supply(if memory serves that what it was) and I had that problem that lots of Rev A G5 iMac has, something leaking inside.

I got AppleCare after I sent it in the first time, and its truely been worth it.

As for the solution to your problem, I've tried resetting PRAM, Reinstall Tiger, and eveything else I could come up with..no luck.

risc
Mar 4, 2007, 04:45 PM
my iMac G5 ... won't wake up after it went to sleep and sometimes when it goes to sleep the fans go full blast and won't turn off ...

My GF had the same issue with her Rev A iMac G5 recently. Lucky we had AppleCare. They had to replace the logic board & the power supply here too.

walindour
Mar 5, 2007, 10:14 PM
I have to agree that Applecare is essential.

I have a G5 Dual 2.0 that had it's logic board replaced about a year and a half ago. Just recently I started experiencing similar issues as everyone else - not shutting down, kernel panics, a bad Firewire 800 port. So after battling a while with the machine, I packed it to an Apple Store in Seattle where they took it in for repair. They completed the initial repair by replacing the logic board (again) but it still "kernel panic'd" like crazy while still at the Apple Store. So they opened a new repair - replaced the processors, logic board again, replaced ram - and never got it to work correctly. The tech working on it said they were ready to wash their hands of the machine they were "writing a novel about".

They are replacing my machine with a new 2.66 MacPro. Applecare saved me. :D

Kevin
sharpphotography.com