PDA

View Full Version : Second video card, please help!

digiculture
Mar 11, 2002, 05:54 AM
Hello.

I use my mac to record music and as some of you may know that takes up a lot of screen space. I would like to have a second monitor but I'm pretty low on cash so here's my question:

Are there any low cost (cheap) video cards with 8MB or 16MB memory (possibly PC versions?) that I can use. I have a Powermac G4 450 tower, (AGP graphics version) running OS 9.2.2 and OSX 10.1.3. I have the 16MB ATI Rage128 card that came with the machine and would like to add a PCI card. I've heard of using a PC to 'flash' a card to make it a MAC version, does anyone know about that?

3rdpath
Mar 11, 2002, 09:56 AM
a while back www.xlr8yourmac.com had a link to a low cost ( $ 35.00) card that was discountinued. the reviews of the card were great-keep in mind this was an older card and older comparisons. anyway, i picked one up and it works great and i now have almost enough room for my tracks, plug-ins, edits and QT video to be up simultaneously. don't know if its still available but thats a good site to search. sorry i don't remember the maker of my card-it didn't come with any literature or documents...good luck.

buffsldr
Mar 12, 2002, 12:29 AM
Please follow up here if you find a good solution for this. I am interested as well. I have checked e-bay. ATI actually carries some older pci cards for about 100

kiwi_the_iwik
Mar 12, 2002, 08:34 AM
I know that www.xlr8yourmac.com has many links on "flashing" graphics cards made for PC's to make them work on your Mac, which opens up a vast new avenue for card sources. Try going to a local 2nd-hand computer store, or go online at a "computer wrecker"-style place, which may be able to supply you with a very cheap PCI graphics card which would fit the bill nicely.

I recently went to one store in West London that had 2nd-hand PC PCI graphics cards for as little as 35 - and they were less than a year old!

Bear in mind though, that flashing can possibly screw up the processor on the graphics card...

blakespot
Mar 12, 2002, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure how flashable PC cards in general are (I know you can do it with certain Voodoo cards and certain nVidia cards, probably others as well), but I have a DP G4 800 w/ GeForce 3 (AGP) and picked up a used Rage 128 Orion (16MB) PCI on eBay for $105. It's quite popular as it's an ideal second-monitor card for the new Mac towers.

Do not get any ATI card older than a Rage 128. OS X does not support hardware acceleration on previous ATI boards under OS X (though they will work, just slowly).

blakespot

buffsldr
Mar 12, 2002, 09:06 AM
Thank you, Blakespot... It sounds like e-bay is the best option. Does it have to be an ATI 128 card made exclusively for macs?