PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 7.1 (Apple TV Support) and Quicktime 7.1.5

Pages : [1] 2

celebi23
Mar 5, 2007, 03:23 PM
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes71formac.html

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes71forwindows.html

About iTunes 7.1
iTunes is the world’s best way to organize and enjoy your personal digital music and video collection with your Mac. iTunes is also the easiest way to sync music, videos, and more with your iPod.

With iTunes, easily create a digital music and video collection by importing your personal music CDs or downloading your favorite songs and videos from the iTunes Store. Create your own playlists, perfect for any mood or occasion. Burn playlists to CDs and play them on your home stereo, or sync iPod with iTunes and enjoy your collection in your car or on the go.

What’s New in this Version
Using iTunes 7.1, you can now enjoy your favorite iTunes movies, TV shows, music, and more from the comfort of your living room with Apple TV. iTunes 7.1 also supports a new full screen Cover Flow and improved sorting options to let you decide how iTunes should sort your favorite artists, albums, and songs.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime715formac.html

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime715forwindows.html

About QuickTime 7.1.5
QuickTime 7.1.5 delivers numerous bug fixes and addresses critical security issues. This update is recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users
QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit www.apple.com/quicktime to purchase a QuickTime 7 Pro key.

davidjearly
Mar 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
NIce find!

Excellent, no more error ~48 iPod Video/iTunes issues (hopefully)!

David

psychofreak
Mar 5, 2007, 03:26 PM
Damn...it would be cool if my 'book could handle CoverFlow smoothly even without fullscreen...

davidjearly
Mar 5, 2007, 03:27 PM
Is this Java update also new?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304586

Not seen it in my Software Update before.

EDIT: I see that it is not. Ooops.

Blue Velvet
Mar 5, 2007, 03:29 PM
Ah crap! iTunes broke my [insert name of carefully set-up app here]...

Nah, just kidding. Thought I'd get in first. :D
Downloaded, installed and ready to reboot.

balamw
Mar 5, 2007, 03:30 PM
There goes my theory on why the :apple:TV was delayed. :p

B

psychofreak
Mar 5, 2007, 03:36 PM
Now I have to spend hours looking for good quality album covers to satisfy this beautiful fullscreen CoverFlow...

Laslo Panaflex
Mar 5, 2007, 03:38 PM
Does it let you use coverflow while browsing an iPod in itunes?

mduser63
Mar 5, 2007, 03:40 PM
Now I have to spend hours looking for good quality album covers to satisfy this beautiful fullscreen CoverFlow...

You know that as of iTunes 7, iTunes will download artwork for you, right?

Blue Velvet
Mar 5, 2007, 03:41 PM
In Fullscreen Coverflow, is anyone else getting those diagonal thin black lines running from top-left corner to bottom-right across the album cover?

psychofreak
Mar 5, 2007, 03:44 PM
I have artwork for all my albums...and some (especially the ones that iTunes did not have, and I had to find from Google or elsewhere) look dreadful due to bad quality when they are looked at such a large scale...

psychofreak
Mar 5, 2007, 03:47 PM
There is also now an 'Apply sort field' option

nazmac21
Mar 5, 2007, 03:48 PM
Yes finally, now just bring on 10.4.9 and then I'll update.

Snappier Safari
Mar 5, 2007, 03:52 PM
:apple: TV

aafuss1
Mar 5, 2007, 03:56 PM
Does 7.1 include better Windows Vista support?

Full screen CoverFlow-I'll have to try that when I install v 7.1.

MacRumors
Mar 5, 2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple released software updates for iTunes and Quicktime today.

iTunes 7.1

Using iTunes 7.1, you can now enjoy your favorite iTunes movies, TV shows, music, and more from the comfort of your living room with Apple TV. iTunes 7.1 also supports a new full screen Cover Flow and improved sorting options to let you decide how iTunes should sort your favorite artists, albums, and songs. (Mac (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes71formac.html), Windows (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunes71forwindows.html))

Quicktime 7.1.5

QuickTime 7.1.5 delivers numerous bug fixes and addresses critical security issues. This update is recommended for all QuickTime 7 users. (Mac (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime715formac.html), Windows (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime715forwindows.html))

The Apple TV was delayed to a "mid March" ship date with the earliest web orders showing a March 20th shipping date.

jono_3
Mar 5, 2007, 03:58 PM
now the apple tvs just need to ship..:P

dr_lha
Mar 5, 2007, 03:59 PM
I have to say as nice as full screen coverflow is, its not very smooth on my MacBook Pro, despite the fact it should adequately be able to handle such a thing.

bigandy
Mar 5, 2007, 04:00 PM
ooh, maybe they're coming soon then!

i'd have thought that seeing as the updated iTunes & QT are here, there's nothing left to iron out... :)

russellelly
Mar 5, 2007, 04:00 PM
Software Update isn't finding anything yet - I take it it'll take a bit to feed through?

spicyapple
Mar 5, 2007, 04:01 PM
I figured fullscreen CoverFlow would become a feature. Thank goodness all my album artwork is 600 x 600 pixel and larger. :)

System volume overlays don't appear in fullscreen mode, though. Any word on an improved Sound Check algorithm?

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 04:02 PM
Got the updates downloading now. Will be installing them on at least two of my machines today.

Time for everyone to jump into the water. Watch out for the sharks. Let the complaints start rolling ;)

Aldyn
Mar 5, 2007, 04:02 PM
Software Update isn't finding anything yet - I take it it'll take a bit to feed through?

hmmm mine picked it up!

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 04:03 PM
Full screen coverflow is very nice :)

flyinmac

It's already in Software update on my PowerPC systems. OS 10.4.8.

So, I'm downloading it through Software Update now.

I'm going to download it once, and then install it on all my machines (using the Download Only option).

aricher
I'll be updating once I see if it's a bug-free update. Can't have my machines down in any capacity for too long.

nazmac21
Now just bring on 10.4.9 and I will update.

psychofreak

It came up in my Software Update about a minute before I posted originally...

CEAbiscuit
Mar 5, 2007, 04:07 PM
Hmm... today is Monday, update to iTunes includes appleTV... tomorrow is... Tuesday... Hmmm...

spicyapple
Mar 5, 2007, 04:07 PM
How do you use the new Sort fields? I am stumped.

Eidorian
Mar 5, 2007, 04:08 PM
Did they fix the corrupted fonts on iTunes?

celebi23
Mar 5, 2007, 04:09 PM
Umm, Macrumors? I had you beat:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3415201

I made the topic at 04:23 PM

BobbyDigital
Mar 5, 2007, 04:12 PM
oooo does this support multiple artist and genre tags? One genre tag just isn't enough. Also, if there were multiple artist tags, it would be alot easier to keep your library organized! this is a feature I've been wanting for a long time. keeping my fingers crossed as I DL.... :)

aprilfools
Mar 5, 2007, 04:12 PM
I did software update and chose download only. when it just downloads and does not install, where do the downloaded files go? I can't find them.

MacVault
Mar 5, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hmm... today is Monday, update to iTunes includes appleTV... tomorrow is... Tuesday... Hmmm...

My thoughts EXACTLY!

zigziggityzoo
Backup was updated too.

Backup 3.1.1 is highly recommended for all users of Backup 3. Significant areas addressed are:

Backup and restore with external drives
Memory management
Restore of bundled file types
For more information about Backup 3, visit the .Mac website at: http://www.mac.com

For Backup 3 support information, visit http://www.apple.com/support/dotmac/backup/

Peace
I did software update and chose download only. when it just downloads and does not install, where do the downloaded files go? I can't find them.

~/Library/Packages

ginner
Mar 5, 2007, 04:16 PM

Spotlight?

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 04:17 PM

They download into the "Packages" folder. Usually OS X opens this folder onto your desktop immediately after downloading has completed.

/Library/Packages

psychofreak
Mar 5, 2007, 04:17 PM
Did they fix the corrupted fonts on iTunes?

I don't know about that, but the blurry CoverFlow scroll bar is still an issue...

aprilfools
Mar 5, 2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks.

They download into the "Packages" folder. Usually OS X opens this folder onto your desktop immediately after downloading has completed.

/Library/Packages

celebi23
Mar 5, 2007, 04:22 PM
Macrumors, thanks for the fix :D

ฎ๎็hๅฎ?
Mar 5, 2007, 04:25 PM
I would like to see an enhancement to the sound check function. It would be so much better to set it so that the loudest note of a song is only 90dB or something to equal out all of the songs in my library. I am almost deafened occasionly by it

APPLENEWBIE
Mar 5, 2007, 04:27 PM
Can I assume that I won't need to re-purchase quicktime pro if I have QT 7.X?

Daveway
Mar 5, 2007, 04:27 PM
Has anyone noticed the "Skip while shuffling" option? I don't remember that one.

And yeah the new sorting thing has me stumped as well. :o

psychofreak
Mar 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
Has anyone noticed the "Skip while shuffling" option? I don't remember that one.
It was there before...

Applespider
Mar 5, 2007, 04:34 PM
Were the UK/Australia/Ireland/New Zealand Parental Controls for restricting movies there before?

Danksi
Mar 5, 2007, 04:36 PM
Any idea whether this addresses the occasional Video and Podcast sharing issue with iTunes?

(Would seem a key fix, in time for streaming to :apple:TV)

dylan
Mar 5, 2007, 04:36 PM
Were the UK/Australia/Ireland/New Zealand Parental Controls for restricting movies there before?

:eek: No!

Canada is there as well.

roland.g
Mar 5, 2007, 04:37 PM
Still missing a major feature I think is needed.

In the browser view I would like to see a checkbox to the left of every artist allowing me to check my favorite artists so that in iTunes and most importantly on my iPod, I can then go to a sub menu called Favorite Artists that lists only those 10 or 20 or whatever # instead of the 400+ artists in my library and my iPod.

I would similarly like to see the ability within each favorite artist to select a checkbox for each song that I want to included in a favorite artist mix so that for artists with 50-400+ songs I see within each artist's album menu on my iPod All, Mix, then each album so that I can listen to a mix of my favorite songs by that particular 'favorite artist'. I don't want to have to make a playlist for this since it is just one artist and playlists should be primarily for mixes of various artists. Nor do I want to shuffle through all that artist's songs when many of them may be studio versions and live repeats or album filler.

When you have 7300+ songs in your library and on your iPod, it would be nice to have these two filters for getting to the stuff you like best.

7.1 boasts improved sorting, I guess I just don't see what was improved about it. Last name, first name sorting? I do like the new full screen cover flow.

zap2
Come on Apple product tomorrow...or ship the :apple: TV....god I'd be all over that!

uv23
I got all excited when I saw "advanced sort options" but there doesn't appear to be anything useful. I sent a bug report to Apple a while ago begging to be able to sort by multiple fields. Primarily, so you can sort by artist then get albums in order of release rather than useless alphabetical order. Ah well.

zblaxberg
Mar 5, 2007, 04:41 PM

Yea but it sucks at doing it...I have all the info in and it's correct...same as the info on the itunes store yet when I go to download the artwork it won't find it

dylan
Mar 5, 2007, 04:42 PM

Check the "Get Info" window. It's also in the view options.

By default it omits "the". This way "The Beatles" appear with the 'b's rather than the 't's. You can specify a string

I got all excited when I saw "advanced sort options" but there doesn't appear to be anything useful. I sent a bug report to Apple a while ago begging to be able to sort by multiple fields. Primarily, so you can sort by artist then get albums in order of release rather than useless alphabetical order. Ah well.

Click the 'Album' header a few times.

wronski
Mar 5, 2007, 04:43 PM

Can't you do this by clicking on the Album button 3 times? "Album by Year."

mikeinternet
every itunes update i hope the "protools needs to be open before i can open itunes" problem gets sorted out. although i assume this is a protools issue.

fyi. it's protools 6.4 on OS 10.3.9

P.s. not that i have frontrow myself but wouldn't some kind of coverflow thing look nice in there?

spicyapple
Primarily, so you can sort by artist then get albums in order of release rather than useless alphabetical order. Ah well.

Sort Album by Year. It works for me. Make sure the ID3 fields are identical within each album and that you have the year entered as well.

ChrisA

But only if both

1) The album is available on the iTunes music store and,
2) you have an account on the iTune store

I have many albums that are not available on iTunes store. For those I've found many on Amazon or some other on-line retailer of physical CDs. Worst case is that I had to scan the CD insert.

Applespider
Mar 5, 2007, 04:44 PM
:eek: No!

Canada is there as well.

Oh good... let's hope that means we'll be getting something to watch on our :apple:TVs before iTunes 7.2 :p

Or are they just being mean and will make us enter a rating for any video we put into iTunes ourselves? :rolleyes:

tombarnes
Mar 5, 2007, 04:45 PM
I am loving the full screen coverflow, makes all that time I spend on getting HQ artwork worthwhile!

I can feel 10.4.9 coming!!! Woop! Tomorrow hopefully!

Hurrah for no more -48 error! (By the way, I saw an iPod in the Regents Street, London Apple Store with the -48 error on saturday! So it happens to the best of us!)

cepler
Mar 5, 2007, 04:46 PM
*Sigh* Still waiting for auto-transcoding options so I can get rid of all my AAC files and maintain a SINGLE library of ALE files that sync automatically to a specified AAC bitrate to my iPod. This simple feature would be very nice for those of us that maintain lossless libraries... *sigh*

rayzor
Mar 5, 2007, 04:49 PM
All my movies I've copied into iTunes from my DVD's are placed in alphabetical order, but I'd like to create them catagories, why can't this feature be added now that people are going to be be adding a lot of movies to watch on apple TV.

spicyapple
Mar 5, 2007, 04:49 PM
This simple feature would be very nice for those of us that maintain lossless libraries... *sigh*No FLAC support. Damn you, Apple! :mad:

whatever
Mar 5, 2007, 04:50 PM

Yes, I do. "skip while shuffling" has been around for awhile. It's useful for skipping videos and digital booklets.

I wish sort would allow provide us with secondary sorts. So that we could sort by artist and year.

roland.g
Mar 5, 2007, 04:52 PM
I think the Skip When Shuffling needs to be a viewable column check box. Who wants to get info every song they want to skip

roland.g
Mar 5, 2007, 04:52 PM
Very kewl photo today Spicy.

psychofreak
Mar 5, 2007, 04:53 PM
STILL...no TV shows or films for UK citizens...what are people gonna do with :apple: tvs?

uv23
Mar 5, 2007, 04:55 PM
Can't you do this by clicking on the Album button 3 times? "Album by Year."
:eek: Holy crap! How did you guys figure that out? I had no idea. It's a bloody miracle. Or I'm a bloody idiot. Thanks either way!

kitki83
Mar 5, 2007, 04:57 PM
Just wondering I have my iPod Nano, why doesnt Coverflow work for it? Music only on iPod.

Applespider
Mar 5, 2007, 04:58 PM
STILL...no TV shows or films for UK citizens...what are people gonna do with :apple: tvs?

Did you read my post above? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3415475&postcount=48) Looks at least slightly promising... the drop down greys out for TV shows though when you select UK.

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
The "sort" feature will come in very handy once you have your :apple: TV hooked up.Just watch!

roland.g
Mar 5, 2007, 05:00 PM
All my movies I've copied into iTunes from my DVD's are placed in alphabetical order, but I'd like to create them catagories, why can't this feature be added now that people are going to be be adding a lot of movies to watch on apple TV.

I have all my HB'd movies on my external in a movies folder separated by subfolder by Genre: Action, Comedy, Drama, Suspense, etc. I have aliases to those Genre folders in my Movies folder in my user directory so that when I use Front Row I get the Genre folders to browse through. That works great, I just don't know how that will work with :apple:tv since I won't be syncing but rather streaming my movies and they aren't loaded into iTunes. Also the downside of this system is that I don't get Artwork, Data, etc. as demo'ed in :apple:tv, I just get a black pic that as I scroll over each name starts playing the beginning on the movie, i.e. the Paramount, TriStar, Universal, etc. intro.

aafuss1
Mar 5, 2007, 05:00 PM
iTunes 7.1 appeared in the Windows version of Software Update for me.

eluk
Mar 5, 2007, 05:01 PM
In Fullscreen Coverflow, is anyone else getting those diagonal thin black lines running from top-left corner to bottom-right across the album cover?

No lines for me thankfully.

guzhogi
Downloaded & installed it. Only problem is adding videos. However, I'm running a pre-release of Leopard so that might be it.

irmongoose
What is this "sorting" balderdash?

irmongoose

roland.g
Mar 5, 2007, 05:03 PM
The "sort" feature will come in very handy once you have your :apple: TV hooked up.Just watch!

Could someone please explain how to use the new 'sort' feature(s).

SkyBell
Mar 5, 2007, 05:03 PM
Umm, Macrumors? I had you beat:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3415201

I made the topic at 04:23 PM

MR gets a lot of it's news from posts by members.

weldon
Mar 5, 2007, 05:05 PM
In the browser view I would like to see a checkbox to the left of every artist allowing me to check my favorite artists so that in iTunes and most importantly on my iPod, I can then go to a sub menu called Favorite Artists that lists only those 10 or 20 or whatever # instead of the 400+ artists in my library and my iPod.

I would similarly like to see the ability within each favorite artist to select a checkbox for each song that I want to included in a favorite artist mix
This isn't a half-bad idea. I would think a simple way to implement it would be to allow ratings on artists and albums as well as songs. In iTunes, you could just sort "artists by rating" somewhere to get all your five-star artists at the top. I'm not sure how to expose that functionality on the iPod though.

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks.

You're welcome :)

roland.g
Mar 5, 2007, 05:08 PM
This isn't a half-bad idea. I would think a simple way to implement it would be to allow ratings on artists and albums as well as songs. In iTunes, you could just sort "artists by rating" somewhere to get all your five-star artists at the top. I'm not sure how to expose that functionality on the iPod though.

Like I said, checkboxes in just the artist view or a Favorite Artists source in the source lists or something allowing you to select those artists. Then in the iPod you could get Playlists, Artists, Favorite Artists, Songs, Albums, Genres, Composers, etc and have it be something you can turn on and off in the Main Menu just like everything else.

TheAnswer
Mar 5, 2007, 05:11 PM

I've got them here too.:(

gregdig
Mar 5, 2007, 05:11 PM
Someone at digg.com noticed that in the new Parental tab of the Preferences, there's a Ratings dropdown menu showing Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and US.

They're guessing that this means iTunes movies will be coming soon to these countries?

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 05:13 PM
Can I assume that I won't need to re-purchase quicktime pro if I have QT 7.X?

You'll be fine. You shouldn't need to worry about purchasing a new QuickTime Pro key until 8.0.

/dev/toaster
Mar 5, 2007, 05:14 PM
I am rather frustrated with the current ship dates. I have really been looking forward to this device. On one hand I want Apple to release a stable product. On the other hand, I want them to ship the damn thing already.

agentkow
Mar 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
Could someone please explain how to use the new 'sort' feature(s).

Looks like I can set how iTunes finds my artists and songs, so like the aforementioned Beatles, I can just type "BEATLES" and it will go there, instead of having to type "THE BEATLES", which iTunes did before, but now you can adjust perosnally for not only artist names but songs names and more.

Example: I have the Supertones in my Library, but their official name is "The O.C. Supertone" but I would never bother to scroll to "THE O.C..." because I just call them "SUPERTONES". iTunes even seems to auto-suggest taking out the "THE" in most things, even song titles (it's greyed out on the right panels).

Now, you can see that when I sort by artist, "THE O.C..." appears in the "S" section of artists, despite it's name.

This is how I take it to work. It might be kind of confusing, but definitely interesting.

roland.g
Mar 5, 2007, 05:22 PM
Looks like I can set how iTunes finds my artists and songs, so like the aforementioned Beatles, I can just type "BEATLES" and it will go there, instead of having to type "THE BEATLES", which iTunes did before, but now you can adjust perosnally for not only artist names but songs names and more.

Gotcha I don't know that I have much use for that, but ok. Maybe like Peace said, it will mean more with :apple:tv. I'd still like to get the 'Skip when Shuffling' added to the view options, as it doesn't do me much good in the get info screen. If not a view column, how bout via right-click. And what is the Apple Sort Field right-click pop-up menu about?

Cult Follower
Mar 5, 2007, 05:25 PM
I am assuming that Apple will be shipping the Apple TVs soon after this realease. Maybe tomorrow!!

lazyrighteye
Mar 5, 2007, 05:32 PM

This is for songs purchased through the iTunes Store only, yes?

D47
Mar 5, 2007, 05:33 PM
What I would like to see is. While in the full screen cover flow mode an option similar to the browsing on the iPhone, with the track names on the flip side of the album cover. Sweet.

Object-X
Mar 5, 2007, 05:34 PM
now the apple tvs just need to ship..:P

You mention this, but I've been wondering about AppleTV vrs Mac mini. For $300 more you can plug a full blown computer into your HDTV. Why stream when you can have right there on the HD?

I was thinking just last week that a full screen cover flow would nice, especially with my mini hooked up to my HDTV. I've also been thinking we are probably going to see more full screen interfaces to various applications. Now, add that concept to marrying a mini to a HDTV and there is a compelling product. Better than AppleTV because it can do full 1080p, you can add movie recording devices like Elgato, and add hard drives too.

The problem with the mini now is no HDMI connector and no HD-DVD / Blu-Ray option. I think the clincher will be if Apple adds an HDMI connector to the next mini revision. And if current rumors about new dispays are correct then this is a given. If they do, I expect a lot of people will opt for a miniTV solution over the AppleTV device. For a few hundred more, you can get much more.

So, I don't think we've seen the end of the AppleTV strategy. I still think a meda mini is a very real possibility. Intel's next integrated graphics chips are going to have dramatically improved graphics support. And add to that beautiful full screen interfaces to some applicaitons like iTunes, iPhoto, and others (Safari?) that would enhance using a computer in your living room.

johnmcboston
Mar 5, 2007, 05:36 PM
Looks like I can set how iTunes finds my artists and songs

It's cute - but are we really goignto go through our huge libraries and set this data???

I was hoping they would add better podcast management, but nothing looks changed.

The new ipod check for updates date is annoying. I feel like I have to click something. Was better when I didn't care when it actually checked for updates...

iJawn108
Full screen coverflow finally! :D

balamw
This is for songs purchased through the iTunes Store only, yes?

No, it'll get artwork for anything you rip as well. Though it's database isn't always complete or correct.

B

SiliconAddict

The artwork that iTunes downloads is way to low res. Think about it a second. Screen resolutions and screen sizes keep increasing. I'm typically putting 700 x 700 artwork in my tracks manually. why? Simple. On my MBP the artwork is pretty large. On my 24" widescreen @ 1920 x 1200 it still pretty good. Imagine what the artwork is going to look like in 3-5+ years?

epardilla
This guy Glenn on here http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=870049&tstart=0

posted that his ship date changed to tomorrow----anyone else have the same thing?

He says in the post that the apple cust support person said it was on backorder, meaning they have shipped some of these but cannot keep up with the demand until mid march... annoying if true!

I want my I want my I want my :apple:tv!

weldon
Mar 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
Like I said, checkboxes in just the artist view or a Favorite Artists source in the source lists or something allowing you to select those artists. Then in the iPod you could get Playlists, Artists, Favorite Artists, Songs, Albums, Genres, Composers, etc and have it be something you can turn on and off in the Main Menu just like everything else.
Right, I just didn't like the idea of adding a new checkbox for "favorites" when extending the existing ratings method to artists and albums would accomplish the same thing.

eenu
Mar 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
This is no indication :apple: TV isn't delayed. 7.1 is more likely the release to solve Vista issues and at the same time they did :apple: TV functions

balamw
Mar 5, 2007, 05:41 PM
The artwork that iTunes downloads is way to low res. Think about it a second. Screen resolutions and screen sizes keep increasing. I'm typically putting 700 x 700 artwork in my tracks manually. why? Simple. On my MBP the artwork is pretty large. On my 24" widescreen @ 1920 x 1200 it still pretty good. Imagine what the artwork is going to look like in 3-5+ years?

iTMS artwork is typically 600x600 which means it's about 120 dpi for a typical CD. Some artwork is lower res 300x300 or 320x320, but most is already 600x600.

It's a bit of a fine balancing act, as you don't want your artwork to end up doubling the size of your songs, do you? Much of the 600x600 artwork from iTunes was already more than 1 MB, which adds a 33% overhead to many songs at 128 kbps.

B

djwazzy
Mar 5, 2007, 05:47 PM
iTunes 7.1 resolves most issues, but there a few outstanding for Vista users

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 05:47 PM

Control-click the 'Sort Headings' and you'll get a list ranging from Album, Bit Rate, Beats Per Minute, Genre, Sample Rate, Time, Year, et.al.

daneoni
Mar 5, 2007, 05:48 PM
I just had to update didn't i. Ugh!.

WHERE IS MY LIBRARY!!!!

CEAbiscuit
Mar 5, 2007, 05:49 PM
Downloading... real big and real slow. 20 minutes over broadband cable....

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 05:55 PM
I just had to update didn't i. Ugh!.

WHERE IS MY LIBRARY!!!!

If your iTunes Library is still on your HD, choose Add to Library (:apple: + O) from the file menu. Your library is usually found in the music folder. If not, try searching under "iTunes" and then re-import them...

ortuno2k
Mar 5, 2007, 06:00 PM
Got my updates (iTunes & Quicktime) a few minutes ago and I had no problems at all getting it. MBP was a little slow while rebooting and starting up, but other than no problem.
I REALLY like the way full screen coverflow looks; the buttons and all. I think Leopard is heading that way.
I likes it :D

AutumnSkyline
Mar 5, 2007, 06:00 PM
If your iTunes Library is still on your HD, choose Add to Library (:apple: + O) from the file menu. Your library is usually found in the music folder. If not, try searching under "iTunes" and then re-import them...

Im having the same problem, and I tried both, its not working :(

MacWarriorX
Mar 5, 2007, 06:02 PM
My library disappeared too after I tried to apply Aqua4iTunes to iTunes 7.1 (the update reverted back to the originally look, which is shockingly ugly).

I downloaded the DMG from apple's site and reinstalled iTunes (it does an "Upgrade" install) and all was right with the world. Guess we'll just have to wait for an update to Aqua4iTunes.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 06:02 PM
Got my updates (iTunes & Quicktime) a few minutes ago and I had no problems at all getting it. MBP was a little slow while rebooting and starting up, but other than no problem.
I REALLY like the way full screen cover looks; the buttons and all. I think Leopard is heading that way.
I likes it :D

Without a doubt:cool:

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 06:03 PM
My library disappeared too after I tried to apply Aqua4iTunes to iTunes 7.1 (the update reverted back to the originally look, which is shockingly ugly).

I downloaded the DMG from apple's site and reinstalled iTunes (it does an "Upgrade" install) and all was right with the world. Guess we'll just have to wait for an update to Aqua4iTunes.

I would definitely wait - Aqua4iTunes for 7.1 will likely be available by the end of the week.

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 06:04 PM
Downloaded & installed it. Only problem is adding videos. However, I'm running a pre-release of Leopard so that might be it.

Yep, that must be it. iTunes won't be compatible with Leopard until version 7.2 ;)

daneoni
Mar 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
Seems the library was there all along but the aqua interface hack is incompatible with the current version of iTunes. Looks like i'll be enduring this ugly interface afterall. Ugh!.

AutumnSkyline
Mar 5, 2007, 06:06 PM
Seems the library was there all along but the aqua interface hack is incompatible with the current version of iTunes. Looks like i'll be enduring this ugly interface afterall. Ugh!.

Aqua4itunes is the cause....grrrrrrrrrr

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 06:08 PM

Yes, those 3rd-party hacks can be unpredictable at times. Especially with new versions that come out after the hack. I try to avoid hacks whenever possible. It has to be something that really bothers me to get me to install a hack from someone else.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 06:08 PM
Aqua4itunes is the cause....grrrrrrrrrr

Just imagine the s**tload of e-mail Aqua4iTunes is receiving at this moment:eek:

FadeToBlack
Mar 5, 2007, 06:11 PM
Updated about an hour ago and everything's fine so far. The full screen Cover Flow works great for me. I don't usually use Cover Flow, though. I still use the classic list view. :cool:

zephead
Mar 5, 2007, 06:12 PM
Ahh, I was wondering about Aqua4iTunes compatibility as I was reading through this thread. I can't resist trying the new version though, so I'll backup the previous one and update :p.

weldon
Mar 5, 2007, 06:13 PM
Control-click the 'Sort Headings' and you'll get a list ranging from Album, Bit Rate, Beats Per Minute, Genre, Sample Rate, Time, Year, et.al.
That will change which columns appear in list view, but I think the new sorting options are available here...

http://www.dodd.org/images/sorting.png

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
Repair your permissions

I've installed both updates on a few machines so far, and no problems at all.

But, I did repair permissions both before and after the updates (as I do with all updates), and found that after installing the iTunes 7.1 update that Disk Utility did find some iTunes Frameworks and other items that needed to have their permissions corrected.

May no cause a problem. But, never hurts to repair your permissions anyway.

All is fine here. No complaints. :D

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
Yes, those 3rd-party hacks can be unpredictable at times. Especially with new versions that come out after the hack. I try to avoid hacks whenever possible. It has to be something that really bothers me to get me to install a hack from someone else.

Problem is, I love hacks - used to use Windowshade with the transparent windows, but, as it turns out, the APE manager slowed down the system's operations slightly. After uninstall, Tiger became much snappier. I'd rather have a clean & lean system than one that drags.....:cool:

EricNau
Mar 5, 2007, 06:19 PM
I'm really not fond of the new full-screen Cover Flow. It just doesn't look right IMO.

Besides, Apple should really improve their album artwork before implementing full-screen Cover Flow.

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 06:20 PM
Problem is, I love hacks - used to use Windowshade with the transparent windows, but, as it turns out, the APE manager slowed down the system's operations slightly. After uninstall, Tiger became much snappier. I'd rather have a clean & lean system than one that drags.....:cool:

I know what you mean. I'm the same way. But, I control myself in the interest of performance and stability. I could go crazy customizing. But, the head-aches it creates with every update just aren't worth it.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 06:20 PM
Repair your permissions

I've installed both updates on a few machines so far, and no problems at all.

But, I did repair permissions both before and after the updates (as I do with all updates), and found that after installing the iTunes 7.1 update that Disk Utility did find some iTunes Frameworks and other items that needed to have their permissions corrected.

May no cause a problem. But, never hurts to repair your permissions anyway.

All is fine here. No complaints. :D

It's a really good idea to Repair Permissions after each and every install, as installs tend to overwrite and/or alter UNIX system permissions. Macaroni is a great free-ware UNIX maintenance utility which can automate this process while running in the background :)

pdpfilms
Mar 5, 2007, 06:22 PM
This guy Glenn on here http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=870049&tstart=0

posted that his ship date changed to tomorrow----anyone else have the same thing?

He says in the post that the apple cust support person said it was on backorder, meaning they have shipped some of these but cannot keep up with the demand until mid march... annoying if true!

I want my I want my I want my :apple:tv!

No, still at March 20th for me.

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 06:27 PM
It's a really good idea to Repair Permissions after each and every install, as installs tend to overwrite and/or alter UNIX system permissions. Macaroni is a great free-ware UNIX maintenance utility which can automate this process while running in the background :)

Yes, repairing permissions is a good habit to get into. I find that whenever I've had someone complain of an issue right after an update, that repairing permissions usually fixes it.

celebi23
Mar 5, 2007, 06:29 PM
Ok, in the iTunes resources file, there's a new file called "iTunes.icxs". Not exactly sure what it is. It's located in iTunes/Contents/Resources

edit: Sorry about including the file in the post. Minor lapse of judgment.

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 06:35 PM
Ok, in the iTunes resources file, there's a new file called "iTunes.icxs". Not exactly sure what it is. It's located in iTunes/Contents/Resources

I've also included the file in this post

Exactly WHY did you include the file in your post ?

altaprod
Mar 5, 2007, 06:36 PM
Coverflow looks beautiful and actually responds MUCH smoother than before on my iBook.

Now what I want (within iTunes) is a way to archive my off-line videos and DVD's that I have. It would be so beautiful to search through my DVD collection with Coverflow. Now I use Delicious Library but it DOESN'T have Coverflow.

I wonder if there's a way to trick iTunes into believing there's a video file but it really just contains the DVD's artwork and movie details, i.e. director, actors, running time, etc.?

Thanks Apple for making me want more.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 06:36 PM
That will change which columns appear in list view, but I think the new sorting options are available here...

http://www.dodd.org/images/sorting.png

Yes, thanks Weldon - these new options almost seem like a MetaData implementation for more efficient sorting :p

kerio
Mar 5, 2007, 06:37 PM
It seems confirmed that AppleTV will support Gaming
"4309.161" = "Are you sure you want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be replaced with games from this iTunes library.";
"4309.162" = "Are you sure you do not want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be removed.";
"4309.163" = "Syncing games on “^1”…";
"4309.164" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because they cannot be played on this Apple TV.";
"4309.165" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library, including the game “^0”, were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because they cannot be played on this Apple TV.";
"4309.166" = "The game “^0” was not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because it cannot be played on this Apple TV.";
"4309.167" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because you are not authorized to play them on this computer.";
"4309.168" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library, including the game “^0”, were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because you are not authorized to play them on this computer.";
"4309.169" = "The game “^0” was not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because you are not authorized to play it on this computer.";
"4309.170" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because there is not enough free space on the Apple TV.";
"4309.171" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because the game is corrupt and could not be read.";
"4309.172" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because the game could not be found.";
"4309.173" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because an error occurred (^3).";
"4309.174" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because an error occurred. ";

lazyrighteye
Mar 5, 2007, 06:37 PM
Just DL'd & installed both iTunes & QT.
All seems well here - especially full creen cover flow. Wow. Me likey!
Makes me wonder about Core Animation and how slick things could get in a Leopard UI - tho none are reportedly seeing hints of anything remotely slick.

Still...

brianus
Mar 5, 2007, 06:38 PM
This update screwed up Party Shuffle. Before, if you set it to "Display 0 upcoming songs", it would stop playing at the end of the list. Now it when it reaches the end, it randomly chooses one extra song and keeps playing indefinitely. That's not what I want. Now I have to use a regular playlist, which would be fine except there is dedicated "Play Next in [playlist X]" option; that only exists for Party Shuffle. Jeez, do I have to go back to Winamp to get sane playback options now!?

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 06:38 PM
"4309.161" = "Are you sure you want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be replaced with games from this iTunes library.";
"4309.162" = "Are you sure you do not want to sync games? All existing games on the Apple TV “^1” will be removed.";
"4309.164" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because they cannot be played on this Apple TV.";
"4309.165" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library, including the game “^0”, were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because they cannot be played on this Apple TV.";
"4309.166" = "The game “^0” was not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because it cannot be played on this Apple TV.";
"4309.167" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because you are not authorized to play them on this computer.";
"4309.168" = "Some of the games in your iTunes library, including the game “^0”, were not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because you are not authorized to play them on this computer.";
"4309.169" = "The game “^0” was not copied to the Apple TV “^1” because you are not authorized to play it on this computer.";
"4309.170" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because there is not enough free space on the Apple TV.";
"4309.171" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because the game is corrupt and could not be read.";
"4309.172" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because the game could not be found.";
"4309.173" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because an error occurred (^3).";
"4309.174" = "iTunes could not sync the game “^1” to the Apple TV “^2” because an error occurred. ";

Now, THIS is huge!!! Bravo!

ryanide
Mar 5, 2007, 06:39 PM
Is this new? Where does it display the lyrics?

flyinmac
Mar 5, 2007, 06:40 PM
edit: Sorry about including the file in the post. Minor lapse of judgment.

No problem.

Thank you for the password, credit card, and account information for your iTunes store. I'll appreciate the free music, and think of you often :p

Just kidding, I have no idea what that file is either (haven't bothered to look yet).

But, definitely, don't ever post a file to the Internet if you don't know what it is. It could give someone more information than they have a right to. Credit Card numbers, and just about anything else.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 06:42 PM

The Lyrics tab was also in previous versions. You do need to type, or cut & paste them in yourself though. Wouldn't it be great if the Lyrics were displayed Karaoke style while playing in Front Row?

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 06:42 PM

This has been here for awhile. You can either put them in yourself or use a widget such as pearlyrics to add them for you.

Sorry I wasn't quick enough.

kerio
Mar 5, 2007, 06:45 PM

Thx :)

But I'd like to know how we could play them...maybe with the front row remote controller?

BobbyDigital
Mar 5, 2007, 06:46 PM
I'm bummed... no multiple artist or genre tags :(

I need an easier way to sort all my jazz music, Apple!!! It gets really frustrating when you have so many duets and trios... For example, I have:

"Duke Ellington"
"Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald"
"Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong"
"Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong"
"Ella Fitzgerald"
"Louis Armstrong"

Its so hard to remember which artist to look under... If Apple made it possible to have multiple artist tags, these songs could be found under any of the 3 artists names! It would make my library so much more organized.

I've submitted the idea to Apple, but who knows if they'll ever implement the feature.

:rolleyes:

butaro
Mar 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
I don't know about that, but the blurry CoverFlow scroll bar is still an issue...

As for as i know before i updated my scroll bar was clear. Now it is all blurry in normal mode but clear in full screen. I noticed it immediately and thought i was losing my eyesight....

AvSRoCkCO1067
Mar 5, 2007, 06:52 PM

There's no way to play them.

Plus, Apple explicitly says NO:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Scroll Down; read the fine print. Sorry guys.

synth3tik
Mar 5, 2007, 06:52 PM
After iTunes fails to find album art work (which happens) finding the images on google or elsewhere can be rather disappointing as far as quality is concerned.:(

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 06:55 PM
After iTunes fails to find album art work (which happens) finding the images on google or elsewhere can be rather disappointing as far as quality is concerned.:(

I know this sounds weird but walmart.com has the best album cover quality.:confused:

kerio
Mar 5, 2007, 06:59 PM
There's no way to play them.

Plus, Apple explicitly says NO:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Scroll Down; read the fine print. Sorry guys.

They're talking about iPod Games. Maybe we'll see AppleTV Games ;)

ortuno2k
Mar 5, 2007, 06:59 PM
I know this sounds weird but walmart.com has the best album cover quality.:confused:

Thanks! I didn't know this. I get my album art from the iTunes Store and amazon.com mostly, but sometimes it's difficult to find a good quality one. Another place to check.

ClaphamChris
Mar 5, 2007, 07:01 PM
Coverflow looks beautiful and actually responds MUCH smoother than before on my iBook.

Same here on my iMac (20" CD, 1.5GB RAM).

And, at this early stage, not eating anywhere near as much RAM. Run through all my albums in Coverflow - used to be a bit spiky and RAM usage would go to 750-800MB. Now smooth as butter and only(!) using 468MB. Still hefty, but an appreciated step in the right direction.

Chris

daneoni
Mar 5, 2007, 07:01 PM

Amazon isn't bad.

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 07:07 PM
Amazon isn't bad.

No it isn't that bad either, it is my second choice when walmart doesn't have what I'm looking for, but sometimes Amazon doesn't have full size artwork.

aafuss1
Mar 5, 2007, 07:09 PM
I noticed the addition of Aussie TV ratings for TV shows-as low as P (pre-school)-examples that could be offered:Hi-5, and as high as AV15+.

Even though we only have music videos and Pixar shorts.

I'm having no problems using CoverFlow in full-screen mode on my PC at all.

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 07:09 PM

And, at this early stage, not eating anywhere near as much RAM. Run through all my albums in Coverflow - used to be a bit spiky and RAM usage would go to 750-800MB. Now smooth as butter and only(!) using 468MB. Still hefty, but an appreciated step in the right direction.

Chris

Still using about 800mb on my system.:(

daneoni
Mar 5, 2007, 07:11 PM

459.44MB despite being in coverflow mode.

Repaired permissions?

matticus008
Mar 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
Its so hard to remember which artist to look under... If Apple made it possible to have multiple artist tags, these songs could be found under any of the 3 artists names! It would make my library so much more organized.
Smart playlist? Add all of your jazz artists to it or use the jazz genre tag. As for finding it in the list, having it under each artist would make the library even longer to scroll through, which seems like a waste of space and time. If you type "armstrong" into the search bar, it will automatically find all his solo work and also any duets, trios, quartets, and what have you.

BobbyDigital
Mar 5, 2007, 07:14 PM

Good find, Kerio!

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 07:16 PM

Repaired permissions?

Yeah when I repaired permissions it went back down and when I scroll again it goes back up to 800mb of use. No big deal considering I have 3gb of ram but still it drives me nutz using so much ram.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 07:19 PM

Is that 'Real Memory' or 'Virtual Memory' using 800mb? I can barely reach 54mb usage on an iMac c2d.

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 07:20 PM

Chris

Repaired permissions?

Are you guys talking about iTunes or OSX ? Virtual or real memory?

iTunes is only using 90 megs on my system.

failsafe1
Interesting that QT and iTunes are almost the same version. Wonder if they will turn into one piece of software? Doubt it but it is interesting to me.

BobbyDigital
Smart playlist? Add all of your jazz artists to it or use the jazz genre tag. As for finding it in the list, having it under each artist would make the library even longer to scroll through, which seems like a waste of space and time. If you type "armstrong" into the search bar, it will automatically find all his solo work and also any duets, trios, quartets, and what have you.

What you say is true, and I will definitely try using more smart playlists... but it seems like there should be a more elegant solution. I understand the library would be longer, but in my example... the artists I listed currently take up 6 separate artist fields, when they should only take up 3, with multiple artist tags. I'd be willing to trade a longer library list in order to find what songs I want under each artist's name.

ClaphamChris
Mar 5, 2007, 07:21 PM
Yeah when I repaired permissions it went back down and when I scroll again it goes back up to 800mb of use. No big deal considering I have 3gb of ram but still it drives me nutz using so much ram.

I've repaired permissions, had another spin through in full screen Coverflow and it's sitting there now with Coverflow in-window and RAM usage down to 293MB now.

Clearly something's different in how iTunes is handling the cover art - hope you find the same experience somehow! Agree with you completely. Love iTunes, but hell, 800MB of RAM to play a bit of music is a heck of a lot.

mopar003
But only if both

1) The album is available on the iTunes music store and,
2) you have an account on the iTune store

I have many albums that are not available on iTunes store. For those I've found many on Amazon or some other on-line retailer of physical CDs. Worst case is that I had to scan the CD insert.

Or you can go to www.allcdcovers.com. Nice high quality for printing, fits great for iTunes as well. Needs to use Firefox though.

matticus008
If you've got the RAM, then it's going to use it. Isn't that the point of having 3GB? The only problem is if iTunes doesn't give it up when something else has a higher priority.

ClaphamChris
Mar 5, 2007, 07:23 PM

iTunes, real memory. Was using up to 1.7GB of virtual memory previously.

Now idling along with Ray Charles at 293MB real RAM, 537MB VM.

Makes me happy anyhow!

And matticus 008 - see what you're saying. But looks to me like iTunes is requesting less resource while doing a better job. That's all I mean. Used to frustrate me to watch the beachball as I tried to slip back into Word while a 'pretty MP3 player' wsa sucking 800MB of RAM. Looks like it may be a much better compromise now.

matticus008
Mar 5, 2007, 07:27 PM
What you say is true, and I will definitely try using more smart playlists... but it seems like there should be a more elegant solution. I understand the library would be longer, but in my example... the artists I listed currently take up 6 separate artist fields, when they should only take up 3, with multiple artist tags. I'd be willing to trade a longer library list in order to find what songs I want under each artist's name.
Hmm. You could always do this manually if that's really what you want. It would be tedious, though.

Copy the songs to your desktop and then drag them back into iTunes. Rename the new copies to a different artist, and then delete the copied files. It'll put that little "!" not found icon in front of them, and just update the location to the original file. Now you have two entries, one labeled for each artist, pointing to the same file.

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 07:27 PM
iTunes, real memory. Was using up to 1.7GB of virtual memory previously.

Now idling along with Ray Charles at 293MB real RAM, 537MB VM.

Makes me happy anyhow!

GAWD..no wonder..I looked at your profile to see what puter you're using.

R U using the Pismo?

Or an Intel machine ?

daneoni
Mar 5, 2007, 07:28 PM

I was talking iTunes virtual, real ram is half that give or take

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 07:28 PM

It says inactive memory so I'm not sure is that virtual? Wired-254mb, Active-125mb, Inactive-834mb, Free-1.81gb

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 07:31 PM
If you've got the RAM, then it's going to use it. Isn't that the point of having 3GB? The only problem is if iTunes doesn't give it up when something else has a higher priority.

Yeah, but 800mb? I've got 2G RAM, and still using only 54mb....

mopar003
Mar 5, 2007, 07:31 PM
I have yet to see coverFlow work on my mac! Figured this might ahve fixed whatever problem I have, but no. Anyone have any ideas why CoverFlow will not work? All files have artwork, but all I get is black. Help!

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 07:32 PM
GAWD..no wonder..I looked at your profile to see what puter you're using.

R U using the Pismo?

Or an Intel machine ?

That would explain it....

daneoni
Mar 5, 2007, 07:33 PM
I have yet to see coverFlow work on my mac! Figured this might ahve fixed whatever problem I have, but no. Anyone have any ideas why CoverFlow will not work? All files have artwork, but all I get is black. Help!

Does your video card support Core Image?

matticus008
Mar 5, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, but 800mb? I've got 2G RAM, and still using only 54mb....
Are you running in Cover Flow and scrolling through a library of several thousand songs? Each album cover is somewhere around 700KB-1MB, so if you have a few hundred albums or more, it's going to eat a good chunk of RAM if there's free RAM available to it.

iTunes stays relatively small if you stay out of CoverFlow mode (73MB for me).

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 07:39 PM
Are you running in Cover Flow and scrolling through a library of several thousand songs? Each album cover is somewhere around 700KB-1MB, so if you have a few hundred albums or more, it's going to eat a good chunk of RAM if there's free RAM available to it.

iTunes stays relatively small if you stay out of CoverFlow mode (73MB for me).

I have 1932 albums if that makes a difference.:eek:

ClaphamChris
Mar 5, 2007, 07:39 PM
That would explain it....

Oops - my profile brought the memories flooding back! Hadn't updated it, sorry. Intel iMac, not my lovely former G3 iBook.

Like I say, just looks like more bang for less RAM, which has gotta be a good thing!

ppnkg
Mar 5, 2007, 07:41 PM
downloaded, installed, everything looks ok. Maybe 10.4.9 is coming tomorrow then?

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 07:46 PM
I have 1932 albums if that makes a difference.:eek:

I've got 9,472, yet still, only 54-67mb get used while scrolling Coverflow in full screen mode, and Visualizer as well :rolleyes:

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 07:48 PM
I've got 9,472, yet still, only 54-67mb get used while scrolling Coverflow in full screen mode, and Visualizer as well :rolleyes:

You have 9,472 albums or songs and are they full albums?

mopar003
Mar 5, 2007, 07:48 PM
Thx :)

But I'd like to know how we could play them...maybe with the front row remote controller?

Maybe thats what the USB in the back might be for, a new game controller?!!

mopar003
Mar 5, 2007, 07:56 PM
Good catch. I have multiple monitors, and the monitor which iTunes sits is an older 128 rage. If I start the coverFlow on the monitor with the Radeon 9800, and then drag it over to the other, it works fine. It must start and render on the 9800 monitor. Thanks for that!

Does your video card support Core Image?

blybug
Mar 5, 2007, 08:04 PM
OK, how about Coverflow in Front Row? Whizzing through with the remote would be mighty fun...and doesn't it feel like it belongs there even moreso than in iTunes???

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 08:07 PM
You have 9,472 albums or songs and are they full albums?

Sorry, I meant songs.....I've got about 2,032 full albums, artwork for almost all of them, 500 or so incomplete albums, and the rest are singles.......

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 08:08 PM
OK, how about Coverflow in Front Row? Whizzing through with the remote would be mighty fun...and doesn't it feel like it belongs there even moreso than in iTunes???

Yeah I was thinking it would be cool on my tv too with the tv. Front row doesn't really interest me though.

izzle22
Mar 5, 2007, 08:12 PM
Sorry, I meant songs.....I've got about 2,032 full albums, artwork for almost all of them, 500 or so incomplete albums, and the rest are singles.......

Ahhh I've got 25,000 songs about 100gb.

Peel
Mar 5, 2007, 08:21 PM
I just noticed in the Help menu that there's a item called "Apple TV Help". When you select this a window pops up with three choices:

How to use your Apple TV
Complete instructions for all features
Open Manuals:

User's Guide
Safety Information
Software License Agreement

I was really excited to see these, until I realized that all three link to the same website http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/

iJawn108
Mar 5, 2007, 08:26 PM

get more ram

iMikeT
Mar 5, 2007, 08:35 PM
This update took longer than I expected.

chuckles:)
Mar 5, 2007, 08:43 PM
I think the most ecxiting developement is the addition of international parental settings for video under preferances. the fact that there are international video settings means there will probably soon be international video. :) bout time too.

e.m.
Mar 5, 2007, 08:55 PM
Just downloaded the Quicktime and iTunes update.

I just noticed that both iTunes and Quictime says it was created on 8/31/05 after the new update.

I just checked my clone drive from last week, and both iTunes and Quicktime (the previous versions) also says it was created on 8/31/05.

Just thought it was a little weird....

chopdog
Mar 5, 2007, 08:55 PM
Go take a look. Surprised it hasn't already been mentioned, but you can now export in Apple TV format in Quicktime. Playing with it now to see what it does.

keyepitts
Mar 5, 2007, 08:59 PM
Looks like Visualizer has had some improvements also.

dmglover
Just updated iTunes and Quicktime. I must be crazy, but where is the option for remote speakers using my Airport Express, ie AirTunes. It seems to be gone!!!!

Peace
Go take a look. Surprised it hasn't already been mentioned, but you can now export in Apple TV format in Quicktime. Playing with it now to see what it does.

Exports it in m4v extension.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
I think the most ecxiting developement is the addition of international parental settings for video under preferances. the fact that there are international video settings means there will probably soon be international video. :) bout time too.

Very exciting - now we'll be able to control and decide what our parents can or cannot watch! ..... :)
I love the tiers of ratings for R movies in New Zealand:

R13
R15
R16
R18
R

Now, that must require quite the grading criteria :D

BLACK MAC
Mar 5, 2007, 09:03 PM
Darn, I was hopping that iTunes 7.1 would let you copy you DVDs so you can use it with :apple: tv. If they expect you to buy the movies from iTunes, then count me out! Why should I buy an additonal copy of a movie that I already own? :confused:

chopdog
Mar 5, 2007, 09:04 PM
Did an export with Cinematize to DV, and then re-encoded Bjork Human Behaviour video. In the past, I have used Handbrake at 2,000 Kbps rate. Apple TV export is better quality because it's exporting - in this export - to around 3,300 Kbps. It looks much better - but of course, now not compatible with ipods, of course.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 09:07 PM

This will provide one way to convert DVDs and TS_folders into Apple TV format. :p

nazmac21
Mar 5, 2007, 09:09 PM
Just downloaded the Quicktime and iTunes update.

I just noticed that both iTunes and Quictime says it was created on 8/31/05 after the new update.

I just checked my clone drive from last week, and both iTunes and Quicktime (the previous versions) also says it was created on 8/31/05.

Just thought it was a little weird....

With that rate Apple might be working on Mac OS 11.

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 09:10 PM
Tell you what.Quicktime now exports HD into :apple: TV format ( m4v ) a LOT faster than it used to.

unfortunately it also strips 5.1 audio down to stereo

TheManOfSilver
Mar 5, 2007, 09:13 PM
So, if I don't have :apple: TV ... is there a big rush to update (besides a irrational need to try full-screen coverflow that is ;) )?

nazmac21
Mar 5, 2007, 09:16 PM
So, if I don't have :apple: TV ... is there a big rush to update (besides a irrational need to try full-screen coverflow that is ;) )?

There might be some bug fixes and if you are going to update, wait until Mac OS 10.4.9.

BLACK MAC
Mar 5, 2007, 09:24 PM
How do I convert a DVD from Quicktime to :apple: tv format? What do I need to do?

e.m.
Mar 5, 2007, 09:26 PM
With that rate Apple might be working on Mac OS 11.

http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

Does everyone elses' say it was created 8/31/05?

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 09:28 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

Does everyone elses' say it was created 8/31/05?

My iTunes says July 28th 2006

Eaon
Mar 5, 2007, 09:29 PM

Well, yes, if you want the security fixes that come along with the fancy coverflow.

http://labs.idefense.com/intelligence/vulnerabilities/display.php?id=486

GoCubsGo
Mar 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
Does 7.1 include better Windows Vista support?

LMFAO for some reason this just seemed funny.

kcmac
Mar 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but on my rev A G4 12" PB, cover flow works much smoother and faster. This is on the regular size and when using the scroll slider. Full screen is cool, but wow. I have some low rez covers....ugh. need to find better ones.

kcmac
Mar 5, 2007, 09:33 PM
4/26/03

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 09:35 PM
4/26/03

That's downright weird. :confused:

CoreWeb
Mar 5, 2007, 09:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that the reason for this is that the date you are looking at belongs to the folder QuickTime, not the actual updated files. On Mac, all programs (except unix programs) are actually stored in folders. QuickTime and iTunes are folders which you can actually open by control-clicking (right clicking) them and selecting "View Package Contents". Very smart organization, if you think about it.

So the date is probably the date that the first iTunes or QuickTime was installed on your computer.

DMann
Mar 5, 2007, 09:43 PM
How do I convert a DVD from Quicktime to :apple: tv format? What do I need to do?

First, use MacTheRipper to extract Video_TS Folder out of copy protection. Next, use either Handbrake or Cinematize to convert Video_TS to Quicktime file. Next, open QTfile using Quicktime 7.1.5 and export under setting Export: 'Movie to Apple TV.' That oughta do it.

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that the reason for this is that the date you are looking at belongs to the folder QuickTime, not the actual updated files. On Mac, all programs (except unix programs) are actually stored in folders. QuickTime and iTunes are folders which you can actually open by control-clicking (right clicking) them and selecting "View Package Contents". Very smart organization, if you think about it.

So the date is probably the date that the first iTunes or QuickTime was installed on your computer.

Yup.Didn't think about that..

It's actually Feb 16th.

BLACK MAC
Mar 5, 2007, 09:56 PM
First, use MacTheRipper to extract Video_TS Folder out of copy protection. Next, use either Handbrake or Cinematize to convert Video_TS to Quicktime file. Next, open QTfile using Quicktime 7.1.5 and export under setting Export: 'Movie to Apple TV.' That oughta do it.

So I need QT Pro right?

Porchland
Mar 5, 2007, 09:56 PM
Click the 'Album' header a few times.

That is very handy.

* Album
* Album by Artist
* Album by Year

Nice.

e.m.
Mar 5, 2007, 09:57 PM

I see. Thanks for clearing this up.

I was getting a little worried (about what? I don't know because everything is working :) ) because the last security update didn't install right on my system, and when i tried to fix it, i messed things up really bad.. but that's off topic.

CoreWeb
Mar 5, 2007, 10:06 PM
Yup.Didn't think about that..

It's actually Feb 16th.

I made a slight mistake, actually, it's "Show Package Contents". :eek:

Yeah, that structure is really quite something... the plain UNIX-y program is stored in a folder named MacOS, usually. Firefox actually has several UNIX-y programs in there. (I am calling them UNIX-y because they aren't technically UNIX programs - they were compiled for Mac OS X - but they aren't Mac "Applications" either). A .plist file (a variant of XML I believe) decides what executable inside the MacOS folder is run when the "Application" is started. Meanwhile, resources have their own folders. Much better, in my opinion, than Windows, which in 99% of programs requires that hundreds or more files be installed everywhere. (A few programs do use some built-in resources... keyword some) On Mac any data associated with a program is either in preferences, caches, or the program itself.

lseven
Mar 5, 2007, 10:17 PM
I think adding this feature would junk up the interface. What you want can already be accomplished without too much trouble. You can just create a smart playlist with Any of Artists equal to each of your Favorite Artists.

Favorite songs by favorite artists requires attention to each track anyway, so dragging your favorites to a single playlist wouldn't take much extra time than checking a box. Also, you would only have to look at the Favorite Artists playlist to get the songs for the Favorite Songs By Favorite Artists list. And with the ability to sort by Date Added, you would only have to go through the entire list once.

Also, since Apple is kind enough to provide programmable interfaces, one could write a script or program to do exactly what you want.

I feel good that Apple doesn't add features like yours, that while useful, junk up the interface if you add too many features.

That said, I really like your idea, and will be creating a Favorite Artists smart playlist like I mentioned. That will really come in handy, and I hadn't thought of it before!

Still missing a major feature I think is needed.

In the browser view I would like to see a checkbox to the left of every artist allowing me to check my favorite artists so that in iTunes and most importantly on my iPod,

I would similarly like to see the ability within each favorite artist to select a checkbox for each song that I want to included in a favorite artist mix so that for artists with 50-400+ songs I see within each artist's album menu on my iPod All, Mix,

jasonpoon
Mar 5, 2007, 10:18 PM
My PowerBook G4 runs hot after installing iTunes 7.1
the iStat Pro shows the CPU is around 55?, before it's just around 28?
anyone got the same problem?

Peace
Mar 5, 2007, 10:21 PM

I know some Macbook owners that would be envious of that temp :)

CoreWeb
Mar 5, 2007, 10:23 PM

Just a shot in the dark, here... I don't know why the CPU usage may have gone up, but it is possible that the GPU may be being utilised more than before while using coverflow? I believe that the GPU can actually get hotter than the CPU can. (When I run a game or 3D program, the fan go off much louder than I can ever make them go by using CPU power.)

Maybe Apple is also using memory to their advantage as well, so they might be spending more time processing coverflow and less time loading the album art from disk (used to cause a stuttering effect, if I remember correctly, which I may not - but now there is only that stuttering at the beginning while it is loading all the pictures and then everything works fine.)

Not sure if any of this is an explanation, I might be completely off-base, but maybe I'm on the right track.

Unrelated: there are two UI problems that I see in iTunes. First, the new expand to full screen button in CoverFlow doesn't look anti-aliased properly. And doesn't Apple know that rounded-corners (at least with corners as rounded as that button's) are going out of style? They mostly un-rounded the iTunes window's corners, yet this button looks very very round. Second, ever since iTunes 7 came out, the scroll bars have irritated me. They have always looked "off" by about one pixel on the side away from the content (right or bottom.) This is apparently simply a line on the right of the scrollbar, but it annoys me greatly. Though, I know that if I was looking at Windows XP, I would pass it off as a "minor" UI issue. There is not even slight anti-aliasing on WINDOW CORNERS in XP, and they are therefore extremely ugly. Though I believe they fixed this in Vista.

By the way, you do mean % of CPU when you say 28 and 55, not temperature, correct?

kuebby
Mar 5, 2007, 10:37 PM
By the way, you do mean % of CPU when you say 28 and 55, not temperature, correct?

I'm not sure I thought he meant degrees Celsius since Fahrenheit wouldn't work obviously) and for % cpu that's too much if one is just running iTunes.

But yes, Macbook owners would be jealous of that, after a couple hours of use, not even tough use, just internet surfing w/ airport on 135 degress fahrenheit is normal.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Mar 5, 2007, 10:45 PM
I think the full screen cover flow is fantastic.

I love the new buttons (in full screen cover flow) as well, and I hope they are a sign of what's to come in Leopard!

CoreWeb
Mar 5, 2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure I thought he meant degrees Celsius since Fahrenheit wouldn't work obviously) and for % cpu that's too much if one is just running iTunes.

But yes, Macbook owners would be jealous of that, after a couple hours of use, not even tough use, just internet surfing w/ airport on 135 degress fahrenheit is normal.

Not necessarily too much. This would not need to be CPU idling, but while coverflow is doing stuff. But then again, I just realized, how would one access iStat Nano while CoverFlow is doing stuff?

But still, may the CPU temperature in iStat be affected by the GPU temperature?

CoreWeb
Mar 5, 2007, 10:47 PM
I think the full screen cover flow is fantastic.

I love the new buttons (in full screen cover flow) as well, and I hope they are a sign of what's to come in Leopard!

I don't mind the button style (the colors), I just mind what looks like a "rough edge" around the button in coverflow, and how rounded the corners are. Looks too bubble-y. The rewind and fast forward and play buttons look alright, though.

jasonpoon
Mar 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
Sorry, I meant degree celcius in my post~
So any PowerBook or other MacBook/MacBook Pro owners got the same problem? Or is this just some exceptional case?
Maybe that's common in MB/MBP, but running iTunes push the temp from 28 to 55!?

Lixivial
Mar 5, 2007, 10:53 PM
Ahhhh...

They finally fixed/added VoiceOver support for iTunes. For the few versions I tested before this, the VO utility would state "Unknown" as window, and it'd not let the VO utility to drill into the iTunes interface. It's nice to see them finally consider their disabled users again...

Sad about iTunes4Aqua, but it should be a simple fix for them to update their resource file. Happy about fullscreen CoverFlow, but I don't like how it dominates both monitors -- the original standalone CoverFlow still worked better...

mickhyperion
Mar 5, 2007, 11:37 PM
The new sort function is very handy for re-alphabetizing artists by their last name instead of their first name without having to have artists listed as "Lennon, John" to get them in that order. Now "John Lennon" can appear as such in the L's instead of the J's. The only trouble is the sort fields are only available when viewing an individual item and not multiple items, so to change all of the artists over would mean going through them one song at a time.

m2uk
Mar 5, 2007, 11:39 PM
Shame cover flow still doesn't work over a network (i.e. I store my music on another Mac on my LAN). I can see the small picture when connecting but no cover flow :(

vkxonline
Mar 5, 2007, 11:46 PM
Shame cover flow still doesn't work over a network (i.e. I store my music on another Mac on my LAN). I can see the small picture when connecting but no cover flow :(

My coverflow works over the network. What HD are your library files on?

Lixivial
Mar 5, 2007, 11:48 PM

Yeah, I can only assume you're referring to the Bonjour-enabled library sharing. This is why I use an iTunes library file that is stored on a network share, and map the drive. If I'm on the road, I use my iPod -- so with iTunes 7's handy library switching, I can switch quite easily.

I never use iTunes' built-in sharing feature, as it limits in so many ways.

m2uk
Mar 5, 2007, 11:49 PM
My main music library sits on an old G4 running 10.3.9 (wonder if that can be the answer?) and I use Itunes sharing to access it.

pdpfilms
Mar 5, 2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I can only assume you're referring to the Bonjour-enabled library sharing. This is why I use an iTunes library file that is stored on a network share, and map the drive. If I'm on the road, I use my iPod -- so with iTunes 7's handy library switching, I can switch quite easily.

I never use iTunes' built-in sharing feature, as it limits in so many ways.

Can you elaborate?

slb
Mar 5, 2007, 11:52 PM

I thought this myth had been dispelled.

mikeyrogers
Mar 6, 2007, 12:06 AM
What I would like to see is. While in the full screen cover flow mode an option similar to the browsing on the iPhone, with the track names on the flip side of the album cover. Sweet.

I tried doing this myself. Beyond me why you can't do that. Now you have to exit full screen mode just to go to a specific track when listening to albums. Seems silly that they left that funcionality out.

Kingsly
Mar 6, 2007, 12:09 AM
What I want is a fullscreen coverflow that DOES NOT black out my main screen. That way I can have an external monitor on coverflow and continue working on my main...

pdpfilms
Mar 6, 2007, 12:11 AM
What I want is a fullscreen coverflow that DOES NOT black out my main screen. That way I can have an external monitor on coverflow and continue working on my main...

Ditto- if quicktime can do it, why couldn't iTunes?

Lixivial
Can you elaborate?

Sure, off the top of my head with iTunes' sharing I lose: Remote creation of playlists, all of iTunes 7's views -- Album view, CoverFlow view -- burning from the shared library, and I guess that's about all I can think of. About the only advantage the built-in sharing has is simplicity (particularly Windows and OS X cross-platform) and centralized play counts/up-to-date track info. But using a shared iTunes Library file via aliases/symbolic links (http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/sharedlib.php) achieves much the same effect. When I'm away from my network, I switch libraries which has everything pointed to my iPod.

I run in a mostly pure OS X environment, meaning that all the machines that are going to be playing media off the remote share are mainly OS X machines. For Windows machines, of course, the sync of library files isn't nearly as cohesive as it has to have its own Library file due to path inconsistencies. But, to me, the benefits of a shared volume -- particularly the fact that the files aren't hidden behind iTunes -- outweigh the negatives. Personally, I like to have each client retain its rich capabilities. It also allows for the one Linux machine I have to have direct access to the same tagged MP3s that iTunes has, even though Linux doesn't officially have iTunes support.

Of course, this may all change if I jump into the whole AppleTV thing, but I don't foresee that happening for awhile.

TheAnswer

get more ram

I've got them too...really odd. On the album art in fullscreen coverflow, two in the album reflection, and even in the rew, play, ffwd and revert to regular coverflow buttons.

I'm on a Dual G4 with 1.25GB of RAM, so I doubt that is the problem.

Is nobody besides Blue Velvet and myself seeing this?

nagromme
Mar 6, 2007, 12:26 AM
I thought this myth had been dispelled.

Yes. Repairing Permissions may once have been worth doing every time, but now it's unnecessary. On the other hand, it's also harmless, if anyone's obsessive about doing it :)

The full scoop:
http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/secrets/repairpermissions/index.php?pf=1

I've got them too...really odd. On the album art in fullscreen coverflow, two in the album reflection, and even in the rew, play, ffwd and revert to regular coverflow buttons.

I'm on a Dual G4 with 1.25GB of RAM, so I doubt that is the problem.

Is nobody besides Blue Velvet and myself seeing this?

I haven't updated yet, but diagonal lines sounds to me like an OpenGL issue, maybe with certain boards/drivers. Video boards deal with triangles, so it makes sense to have each square album divided into two polygons diagonally. But there shouldn't be a seam visible!

balamw
Mar 6, 2007, 12:34 AM
I haven't updated yet, but diagonal lines sounds to me like an OpenGL issue, maybe with certain boards/drivers.
You're probably right, I had visible seams on one of my Windows boxes with 7.0, but they went away when I updated my video card and drivers.

Full Screen Coverflow seems quite nice and smooth even on the iBook. I have yet to upgrade the iMac or the Dell where my main library lives.

B

Tymmz
Mar 6, 2007, 12:36 AM
coverflow seems way snappier on my PB.

ortuno2k
Mar 6, 2007, 12:44 AM
After spending some more time with the new coverflow, I've found out a few likes/dislikes.

It scrolls SOOO smoothly on my MBP!!! I have over 7400 items in my library, the majority has album art, with exception of maybe 5-7 albums (out of 500+)
The buttons, the graphics look great. I like the black on black with the white (or silver?) outline.
I like the simplicity of it, but would like about 2 or 3 more things to be included. See below.
EDIT: Has anyone tried scrolling sideways with two fingers? coooool!

Dislikes:

No status bar on the current song (playing time), just the name of the artist, album, song. I guess I can live with this.
No way of selecting the album you're viewing with a quick click, like the arrow on the regular iTunes interface that quickly takes you to the item you're playing. This would be nice to have in case you start wandering around (and you will) and would like to quickly get back to the album you're playing. You'd have to wait a few seconds (about 10-15) for it to automatically reset back to the item you're playing.
I'd also really like to be able to browse the albums with the Apple Remote - right now can only change volume and track.
Nothing else for now...

I really like this!!! :D :D :D
Oh man, this is just iTunes, I wonder what's in store with Leopard?

DMann
Mar 6, 2007, 12:45 AM
So I need QT Pro right?

Come to think of it............... yes you do ;)

Peel
Mar 6, 2007, 12:55 AM
The new sort function is very handy for re-alphabetizing artists by their last name instead of their first name without having to have artists listed as "Lennon, John" to get them in that order. Now "John Lennon" can appear as such in the L's instead of the J's. The only trouble is the sort fields are only available when viewing an individual item and not multiple items, so to change all of the artists over would mean going through them one song at a time.

I just tried it out, and changing the sorting for one song for an artist changed all the songs for that album.

Oops, I was wrong. It only appeared that way because I was viewing album by artist, so it sorted the album by the sort order for the first track. once I changed the criteria to sort by artist I have all the tracks sorted by the first name except the first track, which is now sorted by the last name *sigh*

Project
Mar 6, 2007, 01:33 AM
You dont need to do the sort thing individually. Sort one artist how you would like on a single track, then right click that track

Apply Sort field > Same Artist

lazyrighteye
Mar 6, 2007, 01:46 AM
Missed the last 100 or so posts. Forgive any reposting(s).

For posterity: Earlier, I read that some users were experiencing weird screen draws with full screen cover flow. Once home, I updated my wife's G3 iBook 500 (latest OS) and noticed something interesting... iTunes could only draw album art that was purchased through the iTunes Store. Any other art I pilfered (via Amazon, say) would not display.

Huh.

Sure, that 'Book's long in the tooth and full screen cover flow troubles were completely expected. Still, interesting the only art that would display was from iTunes Store purchases.

Anyone know the specs on images sizes (file type, res, etc.) that Apple uses or where iTunes Store album art is stored so I can look myself?

Thanks,
Scott

* Oh, FWIW, my work Mac (last dual PowerMac before Intel switch, latest OS) LOVES full screen Cover Flow.

killmoms
Mar 6, 2007, 02:00 AM
Does this fullscreen CoverFlow restrict the maximum texture size for an album cover? I ask because I have some album covers that are super-detailed when you just look at them (some that are almost 1200 x 1200 even), and yet in fullscreen CoverFlow they look pretty crap. Any way to fix this?

mickhyperion
Mar 6, 2007, 02:10 AM
You dont need to do the sort thing individually. Sort one artist how you would like on a single track, then right click that track

Apply Sort field > Same Artist
Great, that does the trick. Thanks.

No more artists sorted by first name! Hooray!

cheunghy
Mar 6, 2007, 02:17 AM
Note the 'Mark as Not New' (instead of 'Mark as Played') option in the Podcasts Directory.

Oh, is this actually new though... :confused:

Evangelion
Mar 6, 2007, 02:18 AM
I'll be updating once I see if it's a bug-free update. Can't have my machines down in any capacity for too long.

If your machines are critical production-machines, why are you running iTunes on them?

SPinc33
Mar 6, 2007, 02:38 AM
i can't believe no one's pointed out how much snappier Safari seems now after the iTunes update...

i believe the delay :apple: tvs are shipping later because the warehouses are already full of Powerbook G5s.

Yep. that's all i can contribute today.

alpharuin
Mar 6, 2007, 02:43 AM
I may be missing out on something, but...

Is there a way to may it so that when you double click on an album in coverflow it selects only that album in the list below? Or alternatively, have it only play the album you double-clicked on and not have it keep playing other songs in the library.

:confused:

Macciee
Mar 6, 2007, 02:44 AM
You mention this, but I've been wondering about AppleTV vrs Mac mini. For $300 more you can plug a full blown computer into your HDTV. Why stream when you can have right there on the HD?

I was thinking just last week that a full screen cover flow would nice, especially with my mini hooked up to my HDTV. I've also been thinking we are probably going to see more full screen interfaces to various applications. Now, add that concept to marrying a mini to a HDTV and there is a compelling product. Better than AppleTV because it can do full 1080p, you can add movie recording devices like Elgato, and add hard drives too.

The problem with the mini now is no HDMI connector and no HD-DVD / Blu-Ray option. I think the clincher will be if Apple adds an HDMI connector to the next mini revision. And if current rumors about new dispays are correct then this is a given. If they do, I expect a lot of people will opt for a miniTV solution over the AppleTV device. For a few hundred more, you can get much more.

So, I don't think we've seen the end of the AppleTV strategy. I still think a meda mini is a very real possibility. Intel's next integrated graphics chips are going to have dramatically improved graphics support. And add to that beautiful full screen interfaces to some applicaitons like iTunes, iPhoto, and others (Safari?) that would enhance using a computer in your living room.

I am sorta doinh this since june when I got my macbook with the remote, I just put an alias for my HDD with all my movies (in Cat. by the by) and use DVI+ DVI to HDMI connnector (10 dollars) and a otical cable to my surround sound system the picture is fantastic & also have hooked up my elgato eyetv system and the mix is unbeatible, for my needs that is...