Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
I'm planning to get into Cocoa programming in the near future. Would I be better off holding out for Leopard and Obj-C 2.0 before getting into the thick of things? Also, what do you think the odds of Kochan's book getting an update are?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
All the new features are optional. If you are not an experienced or confident programmer I'd wait. Garbage collection takes all the worry and danger of memory management out of your hands. For each loops are syntactic sugar. Properties are shorthand.

Basically it'll save you writing a lot of code and if you use gc might make your code less likely to crash.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
The new stuff won't stop anything you learn now from being useful. Maybe the Obj-C 2.0 stuff will be a better way of doing it but learning the 'old' stuff wouldn't be a waste of time.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm planning to get into Cocoa programming in the near future. Would I be better off holding out for Leopard and Obj-C 2.0 before getting into the thick of things? Also, what do you think the odds of Kochan's book getting an update are?

You've got plenty of things to learn that won't change. There is no point in waiting. You will be more productive with Objective C 2.0 compared to 1.0, but you will be much much much more productive using 1.0 compared to waiting for a newer version.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005

That way of thinking is wrong, in my humble opinion. Learning old features never hurts. Besides, it may get a while to programmers to write a decent book explaining all the new features of Obj-C in detail. My suggestion is to learn Obj-C now, and when Leopard is released, visit the ADC reference Library and see all the new features.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
The nice thing about learning ObjC1 first, then learning the new 2 features is that you'll be all happy about them instead of "eh, ok, that's how it works".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.