PDA

View Full Version : Apple and Google Working on More "New Things"

MacRumors
Mar 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Marketwatch reports (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/googleapple-working-more-new-things/story.aspx?guid=%7BCB371615%2D9828%2D4D12%2D8040%2DB64CDBB47560%7D) on comments made by Google's CEO Eric Schmidt Monday afternoon at a technology conference.

When asked about Apple and Google possibly working on a tablet-style computer, Schmidt stated that Apple and Google are "doing more and more things together. We have similar goals, similar competitors".

Schmidt current is a member of Apple's board of directors and spoke at the Macworld San Francisco Expo during the iPhone announcement.

dante@sisna.com
Mar 5, 2007, 05:27 PM
"Similar Competitors"

Sounds like a Microsoft Busting strategy.

Obviously Google Office is an alternative to MS Office for Apple.

Zwhaler
Mar 5, 2007, 05:27 PM
Id love to see Apple make a tablet, but I first want a 12 MBP.

mgargan1
Mar 5, 2007, 05:30 PM
googlebook next tuesday?

okay, i know i know... bad joke.

iJawn108
Mar 5, 2007, 05:37 PM
I'm thinking a google+apple .mac

MCCFR
Mar 5, 2007, 05:39 PM
Or, to put it another way, my enemy's enemy is my friend.

J Radical
Mar 5, 2007, 05:39 PM
Vague-tastic

I'd like to see google collaborate with apple in making their online wares work seemlessly with mac. Stuff like google maps integration with address book and more iphone esc stuff.

If .mac was shifted to google servers/services I'd be a happy chap. .mac is outrageously priced!

MS Office 07 is a product which is miles ahead of the open source alternatives, MS did a great job with it. If google wants to challenge an industry leading product in this area it would be best off collaborating with the open source movement, but thats a discussion that has little to do with the mac platform.

ksgant
Mar 5, 2007, 05:40 PM
I'd be happy with a google-toolbar for Safari...but a combination of google and .mac would be interesting too, though I don't see that happening.

Frisco
Mar 5, 2007, 05:54 PM
Vague-tastic
MS Office 07 is a product which is miles ahead of the open source alternatives, MS did a great job with it. If google wants to challenge an industry leading product in this area it would be best off collaborating with the open source movement, but thats a discussion that has little to do with the mac platform.

Office 2007 is a confusing piece of software. Very few companies will be upgrading (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/23/microsoft_office_2007_uptake/) any time soon.

Rocketman
Mar 5, 2007, 06:10 PM
If .mac was shifted to google servers/services I'd be a happy chap. .mac is outrageously priced!

Google and AOL both have tried to offer net storage services. It ould be fairly easy to make it smarter using an interface like .mac.

One of the main reasons Microsoft became successful was developing a network of installers, certified reps, bulk install contracts. It was viral.

Google and Apple couuld work toward that.

Rocketman

mikeinternet
Mar 5, 2007, 06:13 PM
let google take over the dotmac stuff. i get just about 3 gigs free with gmail.

and gDisk works cool. but it'd be great to have the same .mac integration for free.

mikeinternet
Mar 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
I'm thinking a google+apple .mac

oops. i don't know how i missed that you beat me to it. but yea, i 2nd that.

J Radical
Mar 5, 2007, 06:17 PM
Office 2007 is a confusing piece of software. Very few companies will be upgrading (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/23/microsoft_office_2007_uptake/) any time soon.

If anything that speaks more of the success of the current office UI. MS monopolized what people expect from an office productivity suite in the same way they did with an operating system.

To say 2007 is confusing is ironic coming from an apple fan. Office 2007 is revolutionary, changing a product so radically took a lot of guts on the part of MS, and the results speak for themselves: reviewers have hailed it as a paradigm shift in how such software should work.

MS is a victim of it's size and user base. Office is an expensive piece of kit and the current incarnation suits most people just fine (much as is the case with vista) Apple has a different demographic and much smaller base and so has been able to move it's software along quickly.

This is totally off topic, my initial post was just addressing the notion of 'google office' being some kind of apple alternative. I use NeoOffice and like it, if money were no object I'd buy MS Office as its a better product.

The good news for open source is that file formats should become standardized in future allowing seamless interoperability between users. The bad news is that the development of open office is a much bigger undertaking than say that of developing a web browser (mozilla), and it's therefore difficult to envisage Open Office ever being better than the offering of a multi billion dollar monopoly.

Don't forget, an office suite is much more than a word processor.

lazyrighteye
Mar 5, 2007, 06:20 PM
I made similar comments a few weeks back, but I think Google may play a big role in Leopard's supposed "secret features."

Based on nothing but my own observations, I wonder if Google's online slew of office-type apps will make their way into the Apple stable?
Possible these could be Finder-based?

And others suggesting a Google + .Mac Voltron makes me grin.
Currently, .Mac is a joke in the bang for buck department, IMHO.

Westside guy
Mar 5, 2007, 06:26 PM
I made similar comments a few weeks back, but I think Google may play a big role in Leopard's supposed "secret features."

Yes, I'm hoping for voice/video iChat compatibility with Google Talk.

dante@sisna.com
Mar 5, 2007, 06:26 PM
If anything that speaks more of the success of the current office UI. MS monopolized what people expect from an office productivity suite in the same way they did with an operating system.

To say 2007 is confusing is ironic coming from an apple fan. Office 2007 is revolutionary, changing a product so radically took a lot of guts on the part of MS, and the results speak for themselves: reviewers have hailed it as a paradigm shift in how such software should work.

MS is a victim of it's size and user base. Office is an expensive piece of kit and the current incarnation suits most people just fine (much as is the case with vista) Apple has a different demographic and much smaller base and so has been able to move it's software along quickly.

This is totally off topic, my initial post was just addressing the notion of 'google office' being some kind of apple alternative. I use NeoOffice and like it, if money were no object I'd buy MS Office as its a better product.

The good news for open source is that file formats should become standardized in future allowing seamless interoperability between users. The bad news is that the development of open office is a much bigger undertaking than say that of developing a web browser (mozilla), and it's therefore difficult to envisage Open Office ever being better than the offering of a multi billion dollar monopoly.

The majority of Mac and PC users use only a fraction of the features in an Office Suite: it will be fairly easy for open source alternatives to enter and compete with a comprehensive, but reduced feature set that the majority of office users will need.

economist
Mar 5, 2007, 06:27 PM
Apple TV + user created content (i.e. YouTube) could be a good play for Apple to go after the young market.

Apple is all about consuming your media as and when you want... this would play in very nicely... It could be the video equiv. of what apple has going for podcasting.

Just a conjecture.:o

J Radical
Mar 5, 2007, 06:41 PM
The majority of Mac and PC users use only a fraction of the features in an Office Suite: it will be fairly easy for open source alternatives to enter and compete with a comprehensive, but reduced feature set that the majority of office users will need.

You're absolutely right. The problem is that if people use it at work they'll want to use it at home. The other issue is that of students/children who will use MS office in school and from time to time will have to use the more sophisticated features of the software.

MS office is as pervasive as windows or google or the ipod, it's almost cultural in how far it has penetrated peoples mindsets.

The 'problem' now is that MS has come up with a deceptively simple and highly intuitive UI that powers what is an extremely advanced piece of software. Sound familiar?

iWork will hopefully move in the direction you've outlined and will please 20% of the 5% of people who use macs. The cultural change in this arena will have to take place in the PC/linux world. Which is perhaps where google will step in.

Rocketman
Mar 5, 2007, 06:41 PM

As Apple's iWork evolves it is quite possible some of the features, file formats and methodologies will translate. One thing that made Microsoft large was overtly copying its competitors. It seems turnabout is fair play.

So long as the code is unique, why not make sure there is a compatibility of features, hooks, and file formats? One of the key features of Microsoft Office is strong add-on and third party support. If all of those 3rd party apps work under a form of virtualization (like attorney pleading forms in the word processor for example), the number of switchers will increase.

Initially all that matters is the "trend is your friend".

Rocketman

I still say a used PMG5 is the fastest available device at the lowest cost for CS3 or 2 even if my in-topic posts were deleted. Pros have to wait till late spring for CS3. Pull the trigger on a PMG5. I said so.

psychofreak
Mar 5, 2007, 06:49 PM
I don't like the office ribbon system. It is great for some people, especially inexperienced people, who can now find what they want to do, without searching through menus...BUT, on a small laptop screen, the ribbon takes a LOT of screen real estate...

EagerDragon
Mar 5, 2007, 06:58 PM
"Similar Competitors"

Sounds like a Microsoft Busting strategy.

Obviously Google Office is an alternative to MS Office for Apple.

I have not tried any of the Google Office pieces, do they store and or sent the document to Google (web form based or web services based)?

If they do, that will limit its use since sensitive data is not allowed to leave most corporations. Then again I never used any of the Google products.

mrthieme
Mar 5, 2007, 07:15 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, I understand the Google/.mac subject, I get the Google video/:apple: tv connection, but what would Google have to do with Apple developing a tablet?

MacAodh
Mar 5, 2007, 07:22 PM
Id love to see Apple make a tablet, but I first want a 12 MBP.

Here here, 13inch just ain't small enough to carry around day to day

Cybix
Mar 5, 2007, 07:24 PM
get over the whole tablet thing, honestly, it's 90's style and completely washed up already.

pfft.

Di9it8
Mar 5, 2007, 07:27 PM
What about Picasa??;)

bleachthru
Mar 5, 2007, 07:41 PM
I am going to be quite upset if .mac and gmail do some sort of merger, as I would hate to have to start paying for a service that should stay free.

SMM
Mar 5, 2007, 07:42 PM

Office obtained its' lofty position by being offered for peanuts and driving its competitors out of business. Each product was inferior to something offered by someone else. The UI was a direct result of being part of the same company making the OS. However, every revision required a trained investigator to locate where something had been moved to, or renamed, and then moved to. As for the apps:

Word - Good product
Excel - Yuk! Worst resource hog ever designed. More memory leaks than the Whitehouse.
Access - Just OK. Works for small workgroups.
Powerpoint - decent, but not exceptional.
Outlook - Took a long time to get the app working right. Too much overhead, but OK app.

Hardly the stellar product you view it as.

mac-er
Mar 5, 2007, 07:42 PM
I really don't see it too farfetched to see Apple and Google merge....probably after Jobs steps down.

I hope Apple will let .mac be hosted on Google's servers. Make .mac free.

MattInOz
Mar 5, 2007, 07:50 PM
Vague-tastic

Remember gMail and assuming any other services they offer are paid for by adversiting. The revenue coming from Google being able to offer a better level of targeting based on them indexing your information and connections between that information.

dotmac services are what you pay to not have those services sponsered by advertising.

Sure it's not like Google is selling your data to anyone and dotmac could be a better deal, but the price differential comes from a different business model and who the company is beholden to in generating to revenue.

Me i'd rather pay even thou Google promiss to "do no evil", if only because it means the service provider is working for me.

Coleco
Mar 5, 2007, 07:58 PM
The real reason Apple TV has been delayed is to ensure proper integration with You Tube and Google Video.
Apple knows iTunes current content isn't enough of a compelling package.
Wouldn't surprise me to see some basic iPod style game capability built in.

parrotheadmjb
Mar 5, 2007, 08:03 PM

Office 2007 is the most advanced and user friendly office software available wether it be free or payed for. It has a simple and easy feel to it, I have already upgraded to it and will settle for nothing lesser.

weldon
Mar 5, 2007, 08:18 PM
I'd love to see tighter integration between Apple's desktop apps and Google's online apps. For example, Apple should just buy Spanning Sync and implement seamless 2-way syncing between Calendar, Google Contacts & Address Book, email, etc. There should also be a plug-in for iWeb to work with Google Pages, a plug-in for Pages (and Numbers?) to open and edit Google Docs & Spreadsheets, and so forth.

Apple does desktop apps beautifully, but .Mac can't hold a candle to Google Apps. Apple should convert .Mac accounts into Google Apps Premier accounts and focus on creating a plug-in architecture for their desktop apps that would allow them to interoperate with online apps and storage.

mikeinternet
Mar 5, 2007, 08:48 PM
I am going to be quite upset if .mac and gmail do some sort of merger, as I would hate to have to start paying for a service that should stay free.

who's to say this wouldn't be free?

mikeinternet
Mar 5, 2007, 08:54 PM
What about Picasa??;)

you can already get the iphoto add-on that lets you drop stuff to your google photos using picasa. but, maybe they can make this work better and let you upload to the entire near 3gigs you get with gmail. instead of the 250MB you get now.

TheManOfSilver
Mar 5, 2007, 09:05 PM
I think there are a lot of great possibilities that could come from increasing cooperation between Google and Apple. Items like .Mac and iChat partnerships are definitely major possibilities that could mean an expanded set of free or low-cost services for every Mac user.

I've written a post on my blog about it (http://themanofsilver.blogspot.com/2007/03/google-and-apple-getting-cozy.html) (you can check out the link, I didn't want to clutter the board with a huge post).

This is going to be an interesting year ;)

mrkramer
Mar 5, 2007, 09:21 PM

That would make me mad too if they charge for it. If they don't charge then it would be good.

TC2COOL
Mar 5, 2007, 09:23 PM
Do we call this new company partnership Appogle or Goopple?

Goopple to me sounds silly, while Appogle has a certain ring to it...

Yeah, Appogle it is...

darwen
Mar 5, 2007, 09:37 PM
Re: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/22/apple-focusing-on-existing-hardware-lines/

macridah
Mar 5, 2007, 09:41 PM
Since Google and Apple are partners, I would expect the docs and page creator would work with safari when they are released.

decksnap
Mar 5, 2007, 09:43 PM
For example, Apple should just buy Spanning Sync and implement seamless 2-way syncing between Calendar, Google Contacts & Address Book, email, etc.

A little off topic- do you use Spanning Sync and does it work well? I'm looking into a solution for our office calendars.

Digital Skunk
Mar 5, 2007, 09:43 PM
I don't think .Mac would ever be free unless Apple did use Google's servers, and they agreed to keep everyone's login names and websites/homepages. There is no way I am going to give that feature up.

It would be a great world if Google and Apple merged or at least made some great products.

matthewHUB
Mar 5, 2007, 10:08 PM
Here here, 13inch just ain't small enough to carry around day to day

Some of us make do perfectly fine...

dongmin
Mar 5, 2007, 10:24 PM
Yes, I'm hoping for voice/video iChat compatibility with Google Talk.

YES!!!

I second that. I would actually start using this iChat thingy.

Arcady
Mar 5, 2007, 10:26 PM
I don't like the office ribbon system. It is great for some people, especially inexperienced people, who can now find what they want to do, without searching through menus...BUT, on a small laptop screen, the ribbon takes a LOT of screen real estate...

It doesn't really matter for Mac users, since Microsoft already said that Office 2008 for Mac will not include the ribbon interface.

GregA
Mar 5, 2007, 11:01 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, I understand the Google/.mac subject, I get the Google video/:apple: tv connection, but what would Google have to do with Apple developing a tablet?(damn... lost my whole post)

Good question.
I wonder who actually ASKED Google about an Apple-Google tablet?

Just thinking about Google's products and needs, merged with Apple's products and needs, is a good exercise in creative thinking.

... Apple: Future iPhone, historic Newton, laptop design history, OSX, iPod
+ Pages, iTunes, iPhoto, iCal (some new Groupware??), Safari...
... Google: Search directories, gmail, google office, maps, calendar, photos,
+ Wireless service in some US cities
(what have I missed that may be significant?)

Still, it's not even a rumour. It's a question someone asked Google, which Google did not answer.

Rhema
Mar 5, 2007, 11:24 PM
I think this will be really really great.

I am real interested in have the iWork suite and Google office apps being integrated together. I think this would give a great advantage over microsoft office. Imagine being at your computer, and you update your calender with some new appointments and it syncs automatically to google calender, and then you go and have a meeting and some of those appointments get changed and so you just log into google apps on someone else's computer, because for whatever reason you dont have yours, and it updates the appointments on there..and then when you get back to your computer..iCal prompts you to resync your calender, and all the new changes are there automatically.

Thats just one example, but I really think it could be great. I'm intereted in using .mac, but I really dont need it that bad to have to pay for it, but if it was integrated with my google mail account and I could get it for free and have the 3gig of space that I have with google. I'd do it for sure.

I dont think there is any reason this wouldn't be good for both companies and for consumers alike

SheriffParker
Mar 5, 2007, 11:52 PM
Yes. I love it when Apple plays bedfellows with the gods of the internet.

theheadguy
Mar 6, 2007, 12:04 AM
does google have a rumor site?

thewhitehart
Mar 6, 2007, 12:28 AM
Is it just me, or maybe they should start by making gmail work properly in Safari? Don't tell me that neither of their engineers have noticed that gmail's edit message tool bar doesn't work in Safari, and neither does the drop down menu in the right hand corner of an open email? Oh, and I forgot having to click in the window with the mouse before using keyboard shortcuts in gmail.

Take these rumors with a grain of salt.

sam10685
Mar 6, 2007, 12:39 AM

Based on nothing but my own observations, I wonder if Google's online slew of office-type apps will make their way into the Apple stable?
Possible these could be Finder-based?

And others suggesting a Google + .Mac Voltron makes me grin.
Currently, .Mac is a joke in the bang for buck department, IMHO.

i think your right.

itsme92
Mar 6, 2007, 12:59 AM

Yeah, most people don't use a fraction of Microsoft Office's features, but everybody uses a different set of features, so it'll be hard for a 'lite' software alternative to gain much ground. Look at Microsoft Works.

Open Source won't ever take over the office software market because people come home from work and school and want to be able to work on their documents seamlessly, without any hassles.

And, if you ask me, the price for Office for home and student users is quite reasonable at $150. It's not like home users buy Office Professional for $700 or something, all they need are the basics: Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

mac 2005
Mar 6, 2007, 01:02 AM

A very, very interesting observation. Back in the day, Jobs was so afraid of IBM--Big Blue--that he gave away the store, so to speak, to Gates and Microsoft. Does history repeat itself? I hope not.

mac 2005
Mar 6, 2007, 01:06 AM
i think you're right.

Totally off topic, but you may want to add context to your signature quote. The punchline hinges on people understanding that said tuna sandwich is priced at an airport vs. a store where it would retail for far less. ;)

iancapable
Mar 6, 2007, 03:56 AM

what are you on about?

JMax1
Mar 6, 2007, 04:41 AM
Apple TV + user created content (i.e. YouTube) could be a good play for Apple to go after the young market.

Apple is all about consuming your media as and when you want... this would play in very nicely... It could be the video equiv. of what apple has going for podcasting.

Just a conjecture.:o

with the speed of today's fads, I just don't know how much longer you TUbe will be around and as popular as it is today. Something else will come around to take it's place. And probably sooner than later.

belovedmonster
Mar 6, 2007, 05:37 AM
Open Source won't ever take over the office software market because people come home from work and school and want to be able to work on their documents seamlessly, without any hassles.

But aren't schools and large corporations beginning to adopt Open Office? There seems to be a flaw in your argument here. In 5 years time a large number of schools and work places will use Open Office.

Also, Open Office and Open Source software is all about pushing forward the adoption of open standards for files, so if anything, people who want seamless integration across all computers are more likely to go towards Open Source in the future.

mrkramer
Mar 6, 2007, 08:27 AM
does google have a rumor site?

No but you could start one.

Steve.s
Mar 6, 2007, 08:29 AM
It doesn't really matter for Mac users, since Microsoft already said that Office 2008 for Mac will not include the ribbon interface.
Here are some screens of the new Office 2008 http://www.tuaw.com/photos/office-2008-for-the-mac-screenshots/
Almost thought I was looking at iWork. Personally I don't think it's a good thing that they don't share the exact same ui, means that I need to learn two separate office suites from work and home.

AppleMan101
Mar 6, 2007, 11:51 AM
well i think it's because apple are about to purchase the moon, and google will photograph it.

they'll call it google moon... and it will look like this (http://moon.google.com). Zoom in all the way, just for 5h!ts and giggles.

Sabon
Mar 6, 2007, 12:50 PM
Imagine being at your computer, and you update your calender with some new appointments and it syncs automatically to google calender, and then you go and have a meeting and some of those appointments get changed and so you just log into google apps on someone else's computer, because for whatever reason you dont have yours, and it updates the appointments on there..and then when you get back to your computer..iCal prompts you to resync your calender, and all the new changes are there automatically.

OR how about have it automatically send the updates to the calendar in your iPhone (as well as .mac and iCal) but also tell you on the iphone the appointment has been updated. Think iCan and iChat working together or something.

kevinoneill
Mar 6, 2007, 12:56 PM

you can hide it... or "minimize" it rather

mdriftmeyer
Mar 6, 2007, 12:56 PM
You're absolutely right. The problem is that if people use it at work they'll want to use it at home. The other issue is that of students/children who will use MS office in school and from time to time will have to use the more sophisticated features of the software.

MS office is as pervasive as windows or google or the ipod, it's almost cultural in how far it has penetrated peoples mindsets.

The 'problem' now is that MS has come up with a deceptively simple and highly intuitive UI that powers what is an extremely advanced piece of software. Sound familiar?

iWork will hopefully move in the direction you've outlined and will please 20% of the 5% of people who use macs. The cultural change in this arena will have to take place in the PC/linux world. Which is perhaps where google will step in.

Please elaborate on these "more sophisticated" features that will be needed from time to time.

J Radical
Mar 6, 2007, 05:07 PM
Please elaborate on these "more sophisticated" features that will be needed from time to time.

Example: decent spreadsheet application with scientific functions. I've talked about this before but people seem to hate MS so much that they won't even entertain the notion that their product is miles better than anything apple have come up with. :(

Chef Medeski
Mar 6, 2007, 07:38 PM
get over the whole tablet thing, honestly, it's 90's style and completely washed up already.

pfft.

Anyways with new technologies, Tablet is more relevant than ever. There has been a crescendo in technological advance and innovative software. The whole computer industry has slowed down on innovation. I mean honestly everything new is just a rehashed, new version of something old. Innovation is on the horizon, multi-touch, smaller, lighter systems will allow greater flexibility than ever before. And while right now seen as a niche, or small market. Tablets will soon grow. Mark my words, developing a Tablet now, where they exist but not well is a ripe moment to enter a field that seems dieing but really is merely waiting for a bit better products since people already love the wow factor they just need more reasons to rationally justify a purchase. You give 'em a couple and lets see how quickly those will last on a shelf.

SLiM620
Mar 7, 2007, 06:13 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, I understand the Google/.mac subject, I get the Google video/:apple: tv connection, but what would Google have to do with Apple developing a tablet?

A tablet that was part Gps and intergrated google maps and google earth

kinda like iono.... the iPhone+GPS....that would be wayyy cool but im proly just dreamin :apple:

macintologist
Mar 7, 2007, 07:30 PM
I think Apple is going to somehow integrate .Mac with Google. I think that is one of the big things coming up. Then you can integrate iCal and iPhoto with Google services somehow.

GregA
Mar 7, 2007, 10:35 PM
I think Apple is going to somehow integrate .Mac with Google. I think that is one of the big things coming up. Then you can integrate iCal and iPhoto with Google services somehow.

It would seem that Apple isn't much focussed on the online services side of thing. Partnering with Google could allow Apple to focus on their strengths while Google focusses on their own. I can't see any downside, really.

bored911
Mar 7, 2007, 10:41 PM
probably just iPhone stuff. though google apps coming standard on leopard would be cool

GregA
Mar 7, 2007, 10:47 PM
google apps coming standard on leopard would be cool
Why?

mdriftmeyer
Mar 8, 2007, 01:35 AM
Example: decent spreadsheet application with scientific functions. I've talked about this before but people seem to hate MS so much that they won't even entertain the notion that their product is miles better than anything apple have come up with. :(

So what you want is a Library of Pre-built Numerical Analysis Function Sets that can do a lot of the work for you, say perhaps when you're data storing output points along a series of sensors that record flow rates or heat transfer or what have you?

I'd like to see MathCad port to OS X myself.