Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
My iBook used to come up with an alert that it was using reserve power, and then automatically go to sleep, so I could wake it as soon as I plugged it in.

Now, there is no warning, if it gets to 0% it turns off, NOT sleeps but turns completely off without shutting down.

This means any unsaved work is lost etc, its not at all good.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? (I have Tiger, iBook 1.44Ghz, 1.25 RAM)

Many thanks

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
It's probably a dead battery. Mine was doing the same thing. It would just go to sleep with no warning. I replaced the battery and the problem disappeared.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
It's probably a dead battery. Mine was doing the same thing. It would just go to sleep with no warning. I replaced the battery and the problem disappeared.

But my battery lasts 2 - 3 hours unplugged still. Coconut Battery states that my capacity is 2390mAh compared to 4400mAh originally. It still has 54% capacity.

Are you sure I need to buy a new battery?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 51

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
But my battery lasts 2 - 3 hours unplugged still. Coconut Battery states that my capacity is 2390mAh compared to 4400mAh originally. It still has 54% capacity.

Are you sure I need to buy a new battery?

It's probably a recalled battery so call Apple and they would give you a new battery free.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
It's probably a recalled battery so call Apple and they would give you a new battery free.

Well, this is what I get from the Apple website:
The affected batteries were sold worldwide from October 2003 through August 2006 for use with the following notebook computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4.

As my iBook is 14", I guess mine is not recalled? Am I correct?

I just wonder why no message comes up warning me, and it doesn't go to sleep, just turns off? Is this meant to happen?

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
Well, this is what I get from the Apple website:

As my iBook is 14", I guess mine is not recalled? Am I correct?

I just wonder why no message comes up warning me, and it doesn't go to sleep, just turns off? Is this meant to happen?

So your iBook is a G3? You should update your software (software update) and repair permissions.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
The same thing is happening intermittently (but often) on two friends' MacBooks. So I would appreciate any insights, too.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
So your iBook is a G3? You should update your software (software update) and repair permissions.

No, sorry should have put all this in the original post.

iBook G4 14" 1.44Ghz, 1.25GB Ram, OS 10.4.8, all updates installed, just repaired permissions.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
No, sorry should have put all this in the original post.

iBook G4 14" 1.44Ghz, 1.25GB Ram, OS 10.4.8, all updates installed, just repaired permissions.

Then I have nothing else to say but call Apple. I am sure the battery recall affected the 14" iBook G4 so you should get a new battery from Apple.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
Then I have nothing else to say but call Apple. I am sure the battery recall affected the 14" iBook G4 so you should get a new battery from Apple.

I tried entering my details on the Apple Exchange Program website, but this is what they said:

This computer serial number is not eligible for the Battery Exchange Program.

The battery entered is not impacted and is not a part of this exchange program. Please verify the battery and serial number were entered correctly and that your serial model and battery model match (Example: iBook serial to iBook battery)

So I am sure this battery is not recalled.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
I tried entering my details on the Apple Exchange Program website, but this is what they said:

So I am sure this battery is not recalled.

How long did you have your 14" iBook G4? Do you have any 3rd party software or utilities installed? You should also put in the OS X disc and restart. Hold c and wait. Later click on Disc Utility option (when you see it) and click Repair Disc. After that restart. See if that helps.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
How long did you have your 14" iBook G4? Do you have any 3rd party software or utilities installed? You should also put in the OS X disc and restart. Hold c and wait. Later click on Disc Utility option (when you see it) and click Repair Disc. After that restart. See if that helps.

I have had it 21 months (nearly 2 years). lots of 3rd party software installed, but no new software since it started playing up.

I will try repair permissions from the disk though I doubt it will help. I was just wondering if there was a setting somewhere that determines the amount of reserve power etc. I guess I will just have to wait and see if it ever happens again.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
I have had it 21 months (nearly 2 years). lots of 3rd party software installed, but no new software since it started playing up.

I will try repair permissions from the disk though I doubt it will help. I was just wondering if there was a setting somewhere that determines the amount of reserve power etc. I guess I will just have to wait and see if it ever happens again.

Do you have Coconut Battery? If so, delete it.

jtuchelt

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2007
I would recommend resetting the PMU-Follow these steps:
1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

If that doesn't solve the issue try Resetting the PRAM-Follow these steps:
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

After trying those steps if you still have problems, it could be a hardware issue.

nazmac21

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Digital World
really, why??!! does it cause problems? I thought it doesnt run unless you open it, how can it do anything if it isnt open?

I thought heard somewhere on MacRumors that Coconut Battery messes up the battery. Also put your 14" iBook G4 on Better Battery Life battery option.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
UK
I thought heard somewhere on MacRumors that Coconut Battery messes up the battery. Also put your 14" iBook G4 on Better Battery Life battery option.

But my battery life isn't poor. When the battery level eventually (after many hours) reaches zero, the thing turns off without warning and does not sleep. This is the issue, not length of battery life.

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
Is your battery a Apple battery?
I read that is one way to spot a fake is to run it down and if it doesn't go to sleep and it just shuts off it isn't genuine Apple.

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
Is your battery a Apple battery?
I read that is one way to spot a fake is to run it down and if it doesn't go to sleep and it just shuts off it isn't genuine Apple.

Holy crap. This thread has some of the worst replies EVER in it!

He said it used to sleep when battery was dead, but now it's not. According to you, this means his battery was once genuine, but now isn't. Batteries aren't like backslidden Christians for crying out loud!

^figured it'd be a good sig. please don't let this start a religious debate, it totally isn't for that. it's called a joke.

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
Holy crap. This thread has some of the worst replies EVER in it!

He said it used to sleep when battery was dead, but now it's not. According to you, this means his battery was once genuine, but now isn't. Batteries aren't like backslidden Christians for crying out loud!

Sorry, Drama Queen!!!
I'll go crawl back under my rock!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I would recommend resetting the PMU-Follow these steps:
1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

If that doesn't solve the issue try Resetting the PRAM-Follow these steps:
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

After trying those steps if you still have problems, it could be a hardware issue.

That's excellent advice. In addition to this, I'd calibrate the battery. Do this after the PMU and/or PRAM reset for best effect. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.