Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i'm building a website for iweb (launch is still ways away), and i have a few questions on some of the elements of the site.

first off, i want to have a form for certain people to fill out that would be sent to my site, like the form you see in blog comments (not quite), but after they send it, it would go into my email address. i heard this was difficult to do in iweb. any solutions?

second, is there a problem in inserting links in the site? (if this doesn't work, my site is kaput).

third, i want people to view my site now (the skeleton is complete) without putting it online. how do you do that?

thanks. i'll give you an update soon on the site.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
second, is there a problem in inserting links in the site? (if this doesn't work, my site is kaput).

third, i want people to view my site now (the skeleton is complete) without putting it online. how do you do that?

2. i don't think so, why would there be? you may not have the control over everything (like link color, etc) but i don't see why you couldn't put links in... or do you mean text that is a link, but the text is different from the actual address? as in this?

3. you want people in your house at your computer to be able to view it, or people over the internet....? if you mean the former, i don't know of a specific way but i would think that showing them in iweb, or if there is a "preview" page option...? if you mean the latter, well... how would anyone see it online if it's not... online?

Onebutton

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2006
hey furcal!

there are plenty of sites that have iweb customization tips and help. i like this one for starting out with iweb:
http://web.mac.com/will.englefield/iWeb/WillG4PB/Home.html

to answer your questions:
1) http://web.mac.com/will.englefield/iWeb/WillG4PB/Forms.html
2) http://web.mac.com/will.englefield/iWeb/WillG4PB/Hyperlinks.html
3) to preview your site on your computer without putting it on the internet- select file->publish to folder. publish your site to a folder on your desktop and then you can click that folder and preview it from there.

iweb is a great program. good luck! have fun.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i made the code for my form on my site. but i still have one question about that. how do i make it that when they press send, they don't have to do anything else, instead of what it is currently, which is launching their mail?

<H3>Please complete the form below if you would like to add your entry to
(site name). Allow 3-5 days for a response, as I review each site personally for quality control.</H3>
<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="mailto:(my email)?subject=addatllink" ENCTYPE="text/plain">
<BR>
<B>Name (site username is okay):</B>
<BR><INPUT NAME="name" size="40"><BR>
<P>
<B>E-mail address (this is for contact purposes only):
<BR><INPUT NAME="email" size="50"><BR>
<P>
<B>Name of Site:</B>
<BR>INPUT NAME="site" size="75"><BR>
<P>
<B>Site URL:</B>
<BR><INPUT NAME="url" size="150"><BR>
<P>
<B>Site Description (25 words or less)</B>
<BR><TEXTAREA NAME="describe" ROWS=6 COLS=60></TEXTAREA>
<P>
<B>Clicking "Send" will launch your mail application</B>
<BR>
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE=submit VALUE="Send">
<INPUT TYPE=reset VALUE="Reset Form">
<BR>
<P>
</CENTER>
</FORM>

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
i how do i make it that when they press send, they don't have to do anything else, instead of what it is currently, which is launching their mail?

You need a program called Formmail, or Sendmail installed on the server of your web host, and then you need to create a cgi script to make use of it. Not sure if iWeb has a built in function for formmail. Just search google on FormMail and SendMail, there will be a lot of info out there.

It really depends on who you are using to host your site and what they offer.

Good Luck,

Brian

whiteclw

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2007
iWeb Forms - Try www.wufoo.com

I had the same question and then found this form creation site:

www.wufoo.com

They allow you to create forms and embed them into your iWeb site using its HTML widget.

Take a look at my site: www.vancouverskibus.com

Find the enrollment form page or the subscribe page. There are forms on each page. After completing the form you hit the SUBMIT button. They send you and email of the forms data and build a table of it, too. The person submitting the data stays on the same page where you have the HTML widget.

Good luck

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I recommend mycontactform.com it is a really good service. A free and a paying option. you choose the level of service you need and if you are willing to have their ad on your site. I pay not to have ads.

musicmasteroz

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
Australia :)
Thanks for your help guys :)

Sendmail works well for me for this

People don't like their mail app opening up and having to click "send mail" after they have clicked submit/send on your website.

I know its just 1 step less - but makes a real difference in keeping it easy for the customers :)

Always good to have the reset button too - as detailed above...

thanks again

omm :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.