PDA

View Full Version : Will a new HD quiet my TiBook?

SuperCompu2
Mar 7, 2007, 06:15 PM
The IBM Travelstar 20GB HD in my TiBook is awfully noisy, and even my Clamshell iBook puts it to shame noise-wise (I'm aware they have the same type of HD, but the surrounding of the HD is much better)

If I were to get a new 5400 or 7200 RPM HD for it, would the noise level be reduced? I know its the HD making all the noise, and I'd like to have a quieter mobile experience. During English class, the only thing you can hear when the class calms down is the whine of the damn hard drive, and it drives me nuts. My old thinkpad was much quieter, and the iBook too. I realize as well that the thickness of the computer plays into the noise too. I just want the thing to shut up once in a while.

All input appreciated, Thanks.

nickster9224
Mar 7, 2007, 06:24 PM
Do you know for sure that it is the HD making the noises?

mad jew
Mar 7, 2007, 06:38 PM
Typically, hard drives get louder as they get older. Grime and dust accumulates near the moving parts and the lubricants become more viscous. A new hard drive will probably be quieter than the old one, but not necessarily by much. :)

SuperCompu2
Mar 7, 2007, 07:00 PM
Do you know for sure that it is the HD making the noises?

I'm positive it's the hard drive itself. The fan is virtually silent, and the optical drive never has anything inside it.

atari1356
Mar 7, 2007, 09:33 PM
If you have the same 20GB IBM Travelstar I had in my Pismo PowerBook, then yes... a new hard drive will be MUCH quieter than the annoying whine of the one you have.

The newer Hitachi/IBM models are virtually silent and very reliable... I'd just stay away from Toshiba models (based only on my own bad experience of a Toshiba drive dying on me).

atari1356
Mar 7, 2007, 09:41 PM
Here are a couple of good options:

Western Digital 80Gb (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144379) (if you're on a budget) - $60.99

Hitachi 160Gb (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146200) (if you can spend a bit more) - $119.99