PDA

View Full Version : Can my 1.8Ghz G5 Pull Through?

TantalizedMind
Mar 8, 2007, 06:00 PM
Hey everyone.

Though I love buying new stuff (and that Blackbook is so damn sexy) I just want to stick with my Single 1.8Ghz G5. I get soo fed up with the problems I face when I'm surfing the web.... which is ALL I DO!

My G5 has 1GB of memory and 160HDD and am still running 10.3.9. All I do is surf the web; so I don't want to buy a new Mac. Is it 10.3.9 that sucks... or what? I am faced with A SURPLUS of "Safari Unexpectedly Quit" signs and MYSPACE never loads right and hardly ever loads photos on myspace pages.

If it's 10.3.9 thats messing my Mac up, I'll get 10.5 the day it comes out and 1GB more of memory. Otherwise I'll get a Blackbook... but I just rather not spend that money.

Thanks guys.
-TantalizedMind

diamond3
Mar 8, 2007, 06:06 PM
you might want to try using Firefox. See if that is a temporary fix.

Fearless Leader
Mar 8, 2007, 06:06 PM
I have a dual 1.8 G5 tower with 2 gigs of ram, In many cases this is faster than my MBP 2.0ghz. I'm running 10.4.x (x=uptodate). Of course the extra processor really helps, so try a reinstall of osx if safari is just being a female dog <slight euphemism> :cool: and if that don't work get yourself a nice MB.

Dont stop using the G5 though, I use mine for giant renders and downloads that take ungodly amounts of time. And I threw in two 500gb drives and got me a nice server.

trainguy77
Mar 8, 2007, 06:08 PM
That machine should way more then fine for surfing the net. Have you tried repairing permissions? A clean install would fix it for sure. But it may be as simple as repairing permissions. You don't even have to wait for 10.5 to reinstall 10.3.

mrkramer
Mar 8, 2007, 06:10 PM
It is not your computer, try using firefox MYSPACE doesn't always seem to work well with Safari. OTherwise try repairing permisions. if none of those work, you could try reinstalling 10.3

trogdor!
Mar 8, 2007, 06:13 PM
I am still truckin by on a Quicksilver g4 933. Myspace is just a crappy pos website to begin with, so it will crash anything. Nothing good can come from a bunch of ugly pages with thousands of transparent overlays and what blah blah blah are you surveys. Myspace - the number 1 browser crashing website.

Anyways, I have a gig of memory in mine and its slow at times, but it gets by until I can get a new mac pro. My recommendation is just wait till 10.5 is released and upgrade. Also, you might want to just redo your entire system and reinstall 10.3 until then. Also, RAM for that machine is rather cheap so that would prob solve most of your problems. Running firefox and safari on my system will use all avalible ram if left open for a long time.

Eidorian
Mar 8, 2007, 06:20 PM
I am faced with A SURPLUS of "Safari Unexpectedly Quit" signs and MYSPACE never loads right and hardly ever loads photos on myspace pages.I think the problem that you have is MySpace.

Fearless Leader
Mar 8, 2007, 06:22 PM
I think the problem that you have is MySpace.

crap. missed a spot to bad mouth my space.

Osarkon
Mar 8, 2007, 06:45 PM
Apparently MySpace is running on a windows based server, so....;)

smokeyrabbit
Mar 9, 2007, 10:03 AM
I have a single 1.6 GHz G5 (Rev A) but it has 2 GB. It runs Tiger faster than Panther did. In my office it is a server as well as a workstation, and has no problems. I have no plans to replace this machine until the motherboard deteriorates and crumbles apart.

Hey everyone.

Though I love buying new stuff (and that Blackbook is so damn sexy) I just want to stick with my Single 1.8Ghz G5. I get soo fed up with the problems I face when I'm surfing the web.... which is ALL I DO!

My G5 has 1GB of memory and 160HDD and am still running 10.3.9. All I do is surf the web; so I don't want to buy a new Mac. Is it 10.3.9 that sucks... or what? I am faced with A SURPLUS of "Safari Unexpectedly Quit" signs and MYSPACE never loads right and hardly ever loads photos on myspace pages.

If it's 10.3.9 thats messing my Mac up, I'll get 10.5 the day it comes out and 1GB more of memory. Otherwise I'll get a Blackbook... but I just rather not spend that money.

Thanks guys.
-TantalizedMind

daze
Mar 9, 2007, 10:22 AM
Hey everyone.

Thanks guys.
-TantalizedMind
You can try Firefox, as many others have suggested, or even Camino. However, I've gotten great results with the latest nightly build of Safari called Webkit (http://webkit.org).

alec
Mar 9, 2007, 11:22 AM
I had the same problems on my old G4 -- lots of Safari crashes, and not just on MySpace... ESPN, CNN, etc. as well. FireFox helps, give it a try.

synth3tik
Mar 9, 2007, 05:13 PM
Myspace is on a virtual server which is why it sucks, $35 Million a month in revenue and they can't get their own server.

A 1.8G G5 is more then enough to surf the web. A few things you might want to do

1 Use firefox. Its a lot more reliable then safari.

2 Open disk utility and repair disk permissions.

3 If you still have issues you might want to do a clean install.

Grenadier
Mar 11, 2007, 05:40 AM
I used to have this issue with 10.1

Upgrading to Tiger solved the issue

Shadow
Mar 11, 2007, 07:27 AM
Myspace is on a virtual server which is why it sucks, $35 Million a month in revenue and they can't get their own server.

Whats your source on this?

TantalizedMind
Mar 11, 2007, 11:41 AM
Upgrading to Tiger solved the issue

Well it's not worth buying Tiger now with Leopard coming out in the next few months. I'll do a clean install and wait for Leopard.

Though saving all my files on CD's take forever! And waste a lot of CD's! It takes me 5 CD's just to get my iTunes Music on there.

I guess I should get an external HDD for this kind of stuff?

Spanky Deluxe
Mar 11, 2007, 02:11 PM
Well it's not worth buying Tiger now with Leopard coming out in the next few months. I'll do a clean install and wait for Leopard.

Though saving all my files on CD's take forever! And waste a lot of CD's! It takes me 5 CD's just to get my iTunes Music on there.

I guess I should get an external HDD for this kind of stuff?

An external HD would be a wise investment!! I couldn't find the power chord for mine yesterday when I wanted to give my girlfriend about 7GB of data. Ended up having to use up two DVD-Rs. Probably the first time I've used the DVD burning option on this Mac!!

Just a thought, but maybe you might want to consider switching to a new iMac when Leopard comes out. Just a guesstimate but the sale of your machine + a copy of leopard + the extra GB of RAM you mentioned getting would probably put you into a decent iMac price range. Bear in mind the new Intel iMacs support an extra screen too in case you want to keep your current one. I know it'd be hard to part but maybe this is the time to do it?

TantalizedMind
Mar 13, 2007, 12:51 AM
I really don't know what to say. I clean installed everything and what not. I'm using FireFox now and it is generally a bit faster than Safari was. But myspace is STILL horibble. And I don't care what you say about it.

My 6 year old P.O.S Compaq laptop loads myspace without any problems. I'm sad to say it, but if 10.5 doesn't fix it.. I'll probably going to build my own computer from scratch and use Windows.

iBenzin
Mar 13, 2007, 12:59 AM
I really don't know what to say. I clean installed everything and what not. I'm using FireFox now and it is generally a bit faster than Safari was. But myspace is STILL horibble. And I don't care what you say about it.

My 6 year old P.O.S Compaq laptop loads myspace without any problems. I'm sad to say it, but if 10.5 doesn't fix it.. I'll probably going to build my own computer from scratch and use Windows.

Go right ahead.

TantalizedMind
Mar 13, 2007, 01:07 AM
Go right ahead.

I've used Macs since the early 90's. The OS itself is the best, and some of the best programs. But the two things I love (gaming, and surfing the web) aren't Apple's strong-points.

sushi
Mar 13, 2007, 01:13 AM
Hey everyone.

Some comments:

- A PM G5 is a nice computer. Heck I still use a PM G4/933.

- To get your computer running smooth, try repairing permissions and repairing the boot disk.

- Leopard is almost out. In the interim, if you really need a better running system, get Tiger (10.4). Tiger will run better than Panther (10.3).

- Be sure that you have a good install on your current G5. You could always backup and reinstall everything along with the updates.

- MySpace may just be the problem. Try Firefox.

While a PM based upon a G5 may seem outdated with the new Intel Macs, it still should work fine -- especially for web browsing. Try some or all of the above to see if things get better.

Hope this helps.

bartelby
Mar 13, 2007, 01:15 AM
... But myspace is STILL horrible.
... I'll probably going to build my own computer from scratch and use Windows.

Yes, MySpace IS horrible!!

Building a PC won't fix that!:rolleyes:

trogdor!
Mar 13, 2007, 02:26 AM
But myspace is STILL horibble. And I don't care what you say about it.

Umm, when 99 percent of the people responding say myspace is a horrible website in all aspects, it is most likely true. Ask any web designer what they think of myspace, ask any tech what they think of myspace. Nothing crashes my browser more often then myspace. I think many would agree. When you say you dont care what we say, well why did you ask in the first place? You asked and we all gave you advice.

Eidorian
Mar 13, 2007, 02:31 AM
I really don't know what to say. I clean installed everything and what not. I'm using FireFox now and it is generally a bit faster than Safari was. But myspace is STILL horibble. And I don't care what you say about it.What we mean is not that MySpace is horrible, it's just that the CODE (crappy CSS, embedded objects, audio, and video) is so HORRIBLE most browsers choke on it.

CaptainHaddock
Mar 13, 2007, 02:58 AM
- A PM G5 is a nice computer.

Agreed. Even the iMac G4 I just sold was a terrific computer, and the G5 Power Mac is much nicer.

- To get your computer running smooth, try repairing permissions and repairing the boot disk.

I don't think that'll do anything. Might as well sacrifice a chicken. :rolleyes:

n the interim, if you really need a better running system, get Tiger (10.4). Tiger will run better than Panther (10.3).

Agreed, running Tiger will make a world of difference, and I think you'll also be running a later version of Safari.

- MySpace may just be the problem. Try Firefox.

Firefox is slow and bloated. Try Camino! It uses the same rendering engine.

Additionally, an extra gig of RAM will make that machine smoke. :)

eXan
Mar 13, 2007, 04:34 AM
an extra gig of RAM will make that machine smoke. :)

For web browsing? No.

macg4
Mar 13, 2007, 11:27 AM
well this is a good topic, actually was something similar to what i was gonna post. i am also currently using a single 1.8ghz G5/1.5gb ram/300gb hd and i have been using onyx to repair permissions and to clean up everything. i run it about once a week and it does make a difference. im holding on to my g5 for a while longer, i havent felt the need to upgrade to anything else right now. the g5 does everything i need it to do, so im happy w/ it

FadeToBlack
Mar 13, 2007, 11:37 AM
I think you should just go ahead and upgrade to Tiger. It's definitely well worth the upgrade. Yeah, Leopard will be out soon, (June, I'm guessing) but I really think it's worth it for you to go ahead and upgrade. You'll most likely see quite the speed boost, as well.

Look around online and see what kind of deals you can find on it.

ee99ee
Mar 13, 2007, 03:59 PM
Apparently MySpace is running on a windows based server, so....;)

Yes, they do run IIS 6.0 on Windows Server 2003... but that has nothing to do with instability of the client browser.... nothing at all.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=myspace.com

Hardly. Try a large load balanced cluster. That's what they really run...

:)

-Chris

sushi
Mar 13, 2007, 08:30 PM
What we mean is not that MySpace is horrible, it's just that the CODE (crappy CSS, embedded objects, audio, and video) is so HORRIBLE most browsers choke on it.
Exactly!

Bad site design results in non enjoyable use such as places like MySpace.com.

On a side note, I wonder if tar and feathering of bad web designers is possible? ;)

markiv810
Mar 16, 2007, 06:42 AM
Getting Leopard would be nice, your machine is far better than what I got, and I am planning to purchase Leopard when it releases. An extra gig of ram is not going to cost a lot, might help in case you play HD video on your computer (trailers and movies).

princealfie
Mar 16, 2007, 10:22 AM
Why would anyone buy a Mac Pro or Powermac just to browse MySpace?

sushi
Mar 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
Why would anyone buy a Mac Pro or Powermac just to browse MySpace?
Because they can! ;)

Cheese
Mar 18, 2007, 06:26 PM
Time for my rambling opinion here; Nothing is wrong with your computer, or your ram allocation, or your processor, or your OS, or your browser. It seems to me that whenever someone is having trouble with a web page, (or a "web community" such as MySpaces, ebays, yootoobs, etc...) they always take the blame on themselves or their equipment. While there are plenty of problems that we bring on ourselves, it is not always the case. When everyone is having problems with MySpace, wouldn't it seem logically true that the problem lies more with MySpace than with it's users? What if all mac users quit using myspace overnight? I'll bet a larger percent of Mac users have been to MySpace than peecee useers. Write to the administrators (of Myspaces) and complain about compatibility issues. Contact technical help desk to let them know that there is a problem. Let them know that macusers are not willing to accept the discrimination. (Tell us why we should be punished for using a mac?) It is not the fault of Apple, or the users of Apple products that anyone else does not step up to the technical plate and make their systems cross platform compatible. Apple has done more to accomodate the Windoze world than M$ has done for themselves. Programmers have become lazy because hardware is so much more advanced, and is becoming more intuitive, so programs don't have to do as much as they once did. ...BUT, I am rambling here.
BOTTOM LINE = You are good, your mac is beautiful. The others only put you down because they are jealous.

Lycanthrope
Mar 18, 2007, 06:43 PM
I also stopped using Safari - seemed to cause a lot of performance issues. However I never liked the look and feel of Firefox so ended up with this Mozilla spawned app called Flock - www.flock.com - which is both performant and pleasing on the eye.