PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with my powerbook?

apattee
Mar 8, 2007, 06:23 PM
i'm running a 1.67 powerbook with 1.5 gb or ram and 120 gb hard drive. it's the latest rev. anyway, whenever i have my external harddrive hooked up, everything is choppy. i have to double click a lot of stuff because it doesn't register. my mouse pointer is sort of studdering. anyway, it's hooked up by firewire if it matters.

edit: just unhooked the external and everything is still really sluggish and choppy. it's still not accepting everytime i click, causing me to click more then once because it's not registering. i replaced batteries and made sure the mouse settings were correct. i also repaired permissions and did all that stuff. any advice?

nazmac21
Mar 8, 2007, 06:36 PM
Could be failing harddrive and try to reset the PMU. Also update to Mac OS 10.4.9 (when released). Mac OS 10.4.9 should fix a lot of problems.

yellow
Mar 8, 2007, 06:37 PM
For the moment, stop using the wireless mouse. Use the trackpad and see if the problem persists. If so, follow the standard troubleshooting steps outlined here:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showpost.php?p=299268&postcount=4

mad jew
Mar 8, 2007, 06:41 PM
Also, use Disk Utility to verify (and possibly repair) both drives. :)

apattee
Mar 8, 2007, 07:46 PM
i ran the extended test off of the osx install disk and though everything passed, when i restarted my computer everything is back to normal. thanks everyone!