PDA

View Full Version : Help! How do I convert my AAV files to MP3 formatt

Billdog VII
Mar 9, 2007, 10:49 AM
Hi all

I am trying to convert the songs on my itunes to MP3 format so I can burn 10 albums onto a disc. I can this do this fine, but I then have the song showing twice in itunes, once as MP3 format & the other in it's normal state.

There must be a way that I can convert & replace the original song & just leave the MP3 format one.

Has anyone got any ideas?

I am running an imac on 10.4.8 (what ever that means!!)

Thanks

oh, yes I'm a bit of a technophobe, so answers in plain english please!!!:)

dshootist
Mar 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
If you create folders for the albums you are going to be putting on this disc, you can drag the MP3 files directly from iTunes into those folders. Once they've been organized in the correct "Album" folder, delete the MP3 file from your iTunes Library. Make sure they play off of the CD you've just created first.

Patronus
Mar 9, 2007, 11:49 AM
You really do not want to do this. Converting from a compressed format (AAC) to another compressed format (MP3) means that you are compressing an already compressed file. Expect to be disappointed with the sound quality.

Why not just burn discs directly from AAC in iTunes? I note that you want 10copies and that iTunes only gives you 7, but if you change the makeup of the album even by one song it will re-set the 7 burn limitation (i.e., burn 7, add or delete a song from the burn list and burn up to 7 more if you want).

Anonymous Freak
Mar 9, 2007, 12:31 PM
I think what the OP is asking is to fit more songs on a CD-R. And if he is asking specifically for MP3, I'm guessing it's to play the disc back on one of the CD-based MP3 players, which probably doesn't support AAC. (And since he has already figured out how to convert to MP3, and has successfully done so, he is not trying to use iTunes-Store purchased songs, either, since they wouldn't convert to MP3.)

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to do it without having the duplicates.

Billdog VII
Mar 10, 2007, 02:32 AM
The last person correct correctly. I've just got a new car & the CD player in it will play CD-R in MP3 format, so I wanted to cut down on the amount of discs I have in the car

But it appears there is no easy way of doing it

Thanks everyone for your help

akkiwi
Mar 22, 2007, 06:14 PM
The last person correct correctly. I've just got a new car & the CD player in it will play CD-R in MP3 format, so I wanted to cut down on the amount of discs I have in the car

Yeah theres an easy way... forget CDs and buy and Ipod!!! Quick easy and you vary you playlist so you dont get board..... also DL audiobooks for LONG trips!!
Cheers
Akkiwi:D

Billdog VII
Mar 25, 2007, 04:46 AM
Thanks for that but I do have an 80gig generation 5 ipod!

Buckingham
Jun 8, 2007, 10:14 AM
I have an iMac with latest iTunes. For the first time I bought
music in the iTunes Store. I want to put this purchased music on a CD so I can listen on my home high fidelity system. I have a Sony DVD and Philips DVD. It seems I cannot burn the purchased music in any format readable by the DVD players. Its classical music so quality is important. I set the preferences in iTunes
the first time for Audio CD....it wouldn't burn the purchased
music...then I selected DataCD/DVD and the next CD would not play the purchased music but turned it into mpeg 4.
so I have a $10 album I cannot play.
What did I do wrong? Thankshttp://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif

gauchogolfer
Jun 8, 2007, 10:19 AM
I have an iMac with latest iTunes. For the first time I bought
music in the iTunes Store. I want to put this purchased music on a CD so I can listen on my home high fidelity system. I have a Sony DVD and Philips DVD. It seems I cannot burn the purchased music in any format readable by the DVD players.

If you chose Audio CD as your burning destination for the playlist, it should play in virtually every CD/DVD player out there. What kind of disk are you using?

gnasher729
Jun 8, 2007, 11:43 AM

The easiest way seems to be this (if you have enough hard disk space): Convert everything in sight to MP3. Most likely you'll do that overnight :rolleyes:

Burn all the MP3 CDs you want. Do _not_ under any circumstances add any music to your library while you do this. Command-J, turn on "Date Added" in your view options. Sort your library on "Date Added" and all the MP3 files will be the newest, so you can delete them all. Maybe you want to burn them to DVDs first for backup.

Note: "Burn MP3 CDs" will also burn MP3 DVDs with around 1000 songs on each DVD, and most DVD players will play them without any problems.