PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G3 Lombard, SOS

halo14
Mar 9, 2007, 11:23 AM
I have just replaced the hard drive on my Powerbook G3 Lombard, it is now running OS 9.1 and I am trying to install OS 10.3.
I have successfully installed OS 10.3, scanned for updates, and ran it perfectly.

My problem is that every time I shut it down completely, when I bring up the OS 10.3, I always get a prohibitory sign (circle with a slash through)
I have looked to update firmware, but it states that this model does not need updated firmware.

I have also tried installing OS 10.3 about 100 times and always end up with the same resultÖIím about to give up, so I could really use some help. Thanks.

AmbitiousLemon
Mar 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
Sounds like something corrupted in OF. I'd zap PRAM, reset OF, etc.

halo14
Mar 9, 2007, 05:14 PM
Sounds like something corrupted in OF. I'd zap PRAM, reset OF, etc.

Let me try this. Thanks.

halo14
Mar 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
Tried PRAM. Any other suggestions?

dpaanlka
Mar 14, 2007, 01:31 PM
What sort of third-party RAM do you have installed in there, if any?

macg4
Mar 14, 2007, 02:07 PM
yes the lombard is very picky on memory, trust me. i used to have one. i could install lets say a 256mb or 128mb dimm and then power it up, use it for a few minutes then it would freeze. turns out it only plays nice with pc100 dimms and not 133

yadmonkey
Mar 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
System Preferences->Startup Disk. Is one selected?

nazmac21
Mar 14, 2007, 04:05 PM
Upgrade the RAM and give it a G4(now it would run Leopard). I heard that PowerBook G3 processors are upgradeable.

RGunner
Mar 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
you have a Lombard, which has USB ports... correct?

Need to make sure you dont have a Wallstreet (which only supports up to 10.2.x)

dpaanlka
Mar 14, 2007, 05:18 PM
Upgrade the RAM and give it a G4(now it would run Leopard). I heard that PowerBook G3 processors are upgradeable.

Yes, the PowerBook G3 processors are upgradeable, however it takes more than simply upgrading the processor to be able to run unsupported OS. You have to use that hack utility - the process of which is a little complex.

you have a Lombard, which has USB ports... correct?

Need to make sure you dont have a Wallstreet (which only supports up to 10.2.x)

Also very important. Wallstreets have colored Apple logo below screen. Lombards have white Apple logo instead, a translucent brown keyboard, are thinner, and have and USB ports instead of ADB. Pismos (the only ones to support Tiger officially) have everything the Lombard does, plus FireWire instead of SCSI.

nazmac21
Mar 14, 2007, 05:26 PM
This is something I want to know.
Since PowerBook G3 processors are upgradeable, would you be able to put a G5 or Core 2 Duo in it?

Luigi239
Mar 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
This is something I want to know.
Since PowerBook G3 processors are upgradeable, would you be able to put a G5 or Core 2 Duo in it?

Well, a G5 I believe would make your batery life go down to zero. They didn't have G5 Powerbooks for this reason. Also why they switched to Intel. You couldn't put a Core 2 Duo because...

a) Core Duo's use a completely logic board the the PowerPc processors.
b) You can't buy an Intel Version of Mac OS. The only disk versions of it are the ones that come with new Apple hardware.
c) Not sure why you would want to... You probably have very little memory, and you would be better off just buying a new machine.

dpaanlka
Mar 14, 2007, 05:46 PM
Well, a G5 I believe would make your batery life go down to zero. They didn't have G5 Powerbooks for this reason. Also why they switched to Intel. You couldn't put a Core 2 Duo because...

a) Core Duo's use a completely logic board the the PowerPc processors.
b) You can't buy an Intel Version of Mac OS. The only disk versions of it are the ones that come with new Apple hardware.
c) Not sure why you would want to... You probably have very little memory, and you would be better off just buying a new machine.

And...

d) No. The processor itself isn't upgradeable, the daughtercard it sits on is. This means you have to buy processor upgrades from third parties like Sonnet. Nobody has made a G5 daughtercard for this, or any other Mac for that matter. An Intel upgrade would be impossible.

nagromme
Mar 14, 2007, 07:42 PM
I have 10.3 on my Lombard. I fyou have 2 RAM modules, try with just one, then the other, and see if one is bad.

halo14
Mar 15, 2007, 10:29 AM
Actually it was running OS X perfectly, but I switched out the hard drive to an 80G Fujitsu, installed OS 9 and trying to get it back to OS 10.3.
It now has its original RAM installed, I canít remember if it has 2 modules, but if it does Iíll start by checking each one. Then I should try the upgraded RAM.
What I donít understand is why it runs perfect after the install but not after the reboot.
BTW, it is a Lombard; bronze keyboard, two USB ports, white logo.