PDA

View Full Version : New Wireless Router

cbrain
Mar 9, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hi.

I am looking to get a new router as I have just about had it with my current one.

I need it to support my iMac, an 802.11 b/g Belkin USB adapter, my PSP, my Xbox 360 with wireless netowrking and my Dad's IBM laptop.

My IT teacher suggests I should get an airport but I heard there is allot of incompatibilities. Would an airport work? Or should I get the Linksys I've been looking at?

Thanks.

rogersmj
Mar 9, 2007, 03:39 PM
Save money and hassle, get a Linksys WRT54G. Easy to setup, works with everything I've ever thrown at it (about a dozen different PCs, two Macs, two Xboxes, innumerable laptops via wireless visitors, a TiVo, and a gigabit switch). In my opinion there's no reason to pay for a gussied-up Apple-glorified router unless there's something specific on it that you want (some people seem really fascinated by the USB port on the new APX; setup a file server or NAS, I say).

cbrain
Mar 9, 2007, 04:27 PM
Hi.

Turns out that was the Linksys I was going to get! I'll probably go to PCWorld in the morning and buy one.

My reason for wanting to get a new router is that my Belkin keeps crashing and as a result requires a restart.

Thanks!