PDA

View Full Version : iTMS receives 8.6 rating from CNET

KershMan
Jun 4, 2003, 05:43 PM
CNET gives a decent review of iTMS at http://www.cnet.com/software/0-3227898-1204-21220230.html?

Freg3000
Jun 4, 2003, 05:53 PM
And at the time I checked, the user rating was 92%. The negative responses were rather mundane, all basically saying that they were overcharged for their purchases or that there is no Windows version.

zarathustra
Jun 4, 2003, 05:54 PM
I love reading the "Don't Recommend" notes from various people. Most of them never even tried it and the ones that have, list issues that I just don't get - "it gives me an m4p files that I can't burn to a CD." What? You select playlist, hit burn, voilą, audio CD. I don't get what could be that hard...

MrMacMan
Jun 4, 2003, 06:09 PM
Yeah.

'I wasted my money cause they told me I need a CD Burner to burn songs!'

'What the hell is that?' :eek:

billyboy
Jun 4, 2003, 06:14 PM
Strange that the majority of the minority thumbs down came from Windows users who either havent even used it or say it is limited because it started with 200,000 songs and is Mac only. I guess they have a point except that they overlook the fact that it is coming out for Windows later in the year and every week the selection is growing.

I just watched my PC mate's painful attempts to find some music on his computer. If iTunes and iTMS isnt on his computer by the end of the year Apple have seriously mucked up on the marketing.

Ugg
Jun 4, 2003, 06:31 PM
The review I liked the most was:

Sure, it's probably 'morally correct', but if a Windows user can use Kazaa Lite (no ads, no spyware) to download a high quality MP3 file in under 5 seconds, why would they want to spend $1 and three minutes on this app? ITunes Music Store will be short-lived and is just another way for uneducated users to waste their money.

Man, he is in his own little world! and knows little or nothing about the service.

zarathustra
Jun 4, 2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Ugg
The review I liked the most was:

Sure, it's probably 'morally correct', but if a Windows user can use Kazaa Lite (no ads, no spyware) to download a high quality MP3 file in under 5 seconds, why would they want to spend $1 and three minutes on this app? ITunes Music Store will be short-lived and is just another way for uneducated users to waste their money.

Man, he is in his own little world! and knows little or nothing about the service.

It's about give a little - take a little. Apple makes a product I like - I buy - they have money to develop something else. I like music - I buy from artists I like - they can buy more beer and pot to come up with great songs (heh, overgeneralizing here a bit - it was only Mozart that smoked out). Microsuck had to force itself to become a monopoly through lies, deception and rip-off. they were the Kazaa of OS development by letting others do the research and development, and then they offered something good enough for the sheep. People gobble it up and expect everything to be free. OK, too much drinky-drinky or me tonite. ;)

MorganX
Jun 4, 2003, 10:55 PM
iTMS is a 10.

The Pinnacle of software design and integration.

trebblekicked
Jun 5, 2003, 02:14 AM
LOL. 2 of the negative responses (http://www.cnet.com/software/0-3227898-1218-21220230.html?pn=1&lb=2&ob=0&tag=st.sw.3227898.top.21220230-1) were actually positives that clicked on the wrong button! the "one button mouse" guy obviously had no prexisting pc bias.;) then again, i didn't read the positive remarks, and i'm sure none of those people had a pre-existing mac bias ;)

<EDIT> i also like comment #2 from "a smart guy", who flat-out says he never used the service, but aparently felt compelled to give it a negative rating anyway.

yzedf
Jun 5, 2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by billyboy
Strange that the majority of the minority thumbs down came from Windows users who either havent even used it or say it is limited because it started with 200,000 songs and is Mac only. I guess they have a point except that they overlook the fact that it is coming out for Windows later in the year and every week the selection is growing.

I just watched my PC mate's painful attempts to find some music on his computer. If iTunes and iTMS isnt on his computer by the end of the year Apple have seriously mucked up on the marketing.

200,000 songs is not that many. Serious collectors have that many (I read in another thread - Starbucks wifi - about someone who owned 15,000 cd's).

Mac only is dumb. OS X only is dumb. iTunes 4 is not dumb... I guess. Read today that 1% of home computers meet the requirements set forth by Apple, and only about 1/2 of those have a broadband internet connection. :o Seems to be obvious by the significant drop-off in number of songs sold...?

There are many alternatives for your PC mate... KaZaa for one. MP3.com for another. There is more out there for PC than there is for Mac. It is just a matter of personal exposure (like anything else).

jxyama
Jun 5, 2003, 04:41 PM
the negative responses w/o usage reminded me of a funny incident during my grad school.

we had a "paper meeting" to evaluate the quality of one of our important papers to be published.

in the meeting, one of the "big wigs" and a "senior" member of the collaboration uttered this:

"I didn't read the paper, but I don't care and I don't like it. I don't like how grad students did most of the actual research for this paper. I don't trust them."

:D

BaghdadBob
Jun 6, 2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by yzedf
200,000 songs is not that many. Serious collectors have that many (I read in another thread - Starbucks wifi - about someone who owned 15,000 cd's).

Mac only is dumb. OS X only is dumb. iTunes 4 is not dumb... I guess. Read today that 1% of home computers meet the requirements set forth by Apple, and only about 1/2 of those have a broadband internet connection. :o Seems to be obvious by the significant drop-off in number of songs sold...?

There are many alternatives for your PC mate... KaZaa for one. MP3.com for another. There is more out there for PC than there is for Mac. It is just a matter of personal exposure (like anything else).

OK, I don't usually pick posts apart, but I haven't had much time to post lateley and I'm tired of yelling at the news...

A: Serious collectors are not representative of a profitable market share, they, and that, is irrelevant. And 15,000 CDs equals what, 175-200k-ish songs? Also, Apple has no intentions of just hanging out around 200,000 songs.

B: HELLO, Apple does not have an agreement for a Windows version yet from all of the Big 5. And Apple is not going to go and release it to Classic, much like...oh, all their new software.

C: KaaZaa is STEALING. S-T-E-A-L-I-N-G. I wish people would keep the damned music thief services off the table here. They don't apply. Stealing is always 100% cheaper than any commercial venture, so the lines are pretty easy to draw.

D: MP3.com, being legal, is not as good as iTMS by most measures, quite clearly.

Maybe I missed the point of your post? It seemed unwarrantedly negative.

I, personally, as I have said since the launch, am a big fan of iTMS, and have purchased about 60 songs from it. I fully agree that it has a ways to go as far as song selection and of course user base, but I also strongly believe that it was a very strong early offering which is above most of the reproach which has been aimed at it considring the time frame.