Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a patent application revealed yesterday (#20070054616), Apple reveals that it is working on making configuring wireless networks, especially ones with devices with limited input/output capability, more simple.

The system describes using RFID tags in networking equipment that would communicate basic configuration settings when the devices got close to one another. The devices would then be able to establish a rudimentary network based on that information and be able to automatically finish setting up a more complex and secure wireless network.

Apple's innovative use of RFID appears to be aiming to simplify the setup of wireless devices (especially ones with limited user interfaces) while simultaneously promoting the use of secured wireless networks.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That's an interesting idea on how to get the devices to recognize each other before you even have to set it up. I still love my extensive user interfaces though. Please don't get rid of them.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I'm really liking this idea. Anything to stop my parents phoning up for a detailed step-by-step from me each week when they managae, again, to factory reset their router :rolleyes:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm really liking this idea. Anything to stop my parents phoning up for a detailed step-by-step from me each week when they managae, again, to factory reset their router :rolleyes:
Have them backup their settings once they're set up. I also find it quite odd that they can unintentionally hold down the reset button for that long.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Delay in the article

FYI: Sorry for the delay in the article. I happen to work with RFID and was working to get an expert interview (a PhD MIT grad), but I wasn't able to get it before now, so I decided to run the story anyways with just my insights (see the extended part of the story).

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Have them backup their settings once they're set up. I also find it quite odd that they can unintentionally hold down the reset button for that long.

oh, i do, every time :rolleyes:

they seem to have some magical inability to keep anything set up correctly.

last time something went horribly wrong they flew me down to (near london) from scotland for the weekend, specifically to fix it. you should have seen the look on my dad's face when, within seconds of turning up, i'm saying "you really need to have the router plugged in to the phone socket..."

:rolleyes:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
oh, i do, every time :rolleyes:

they seem to have some magical inability to keep anything set up correctly.

last time something went horribly wrong they flew me down to (near london) from scotland for the weekend, specifically to fix it. you should have seen the look on my dad's face when, within seconds of turning up, i'm saying "you really need to have the router plugged in to the phone socket..."

:rolleyes:
Once you have the router settings backed up it shouldn't be a problem to just restore them. Keep the file yourself in case they lose it too. The only pain left is to restore it from that configuration file.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
FYI: Sorry for the delay in the article. I happen to work with RFID and was working to get an expert interview (a PhD MIT grad), but I wasn't able to get it before now, so I decided to run the story anyways with just my insights (see the extended part of the story).
Thanks. Maybe you can explain why they're using a second signaling channel to do this rather than negotiating over the primary network channel? Is this purely a security-through-proximity technique?

Is this a passive backscatter RFID, or a full blown second RF channel?

I'll admit I haven't actually looked at the patent yet, but I'm hoping to coax you into sharing more of your insights...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Could be for connecting iPods... sort of like what the Zune can do.

and/or for connecting iPhones though everything we've heard says that the iPhone won't utilize it's Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to sync any data, but will just use a charging cradle/dock which really doesn't make much sense.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yeah!

Yeah... do that and put it in my 12" MacBook Pro... or MacBook or something that is tiny and small so I can buy it for my girlfriend who is getting the most and then some out of her 12" PowerBook.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
and/or for connecting iPhones though everything we've heard says that the iPhone won't utilize it's Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to sync any data, but will just use a charging cradle/dock which really doesn't make much sense.
Most likely not for connecting the iPhone to the Mac-- both have extensive UI capability. I'm thinking this is for connecting mice or keyboards-- something that doesn't have an interface to enter a password.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Sweet. This reminds me how you pair a Mac with a specific Apple remote right now. Just get very close to the Mac with the remote and hold the menu and rewind button, boom, remote is paired. You could just do the same with RFID: put your iPhone on top of your airport base station or a Mac sharing the Ethernet connection over Airport (love that feature by the way) and the devices are paired (maybe use a button to confirm, else it might get messy in a place where everything is close together, i.e. an office).

I wouldn't have thought about using RFID to initiate a more complex wireless communtication, I really like the idea.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Sweet. This reminds me how you pair a Mac with a specific Apple remote right now. Just get very close to the Mac with the remote and hold the menu and rewind button, boom, remote is paired. You could just do the same with RFID: put your iPhone on top of your airport base station or a Mac sharing the Ethernet connection over Airport (love that feature by the way) and the devices are paired (maybe use a button to confirm, else it might get messy in a place where everything is close together, i.e. an office).

I wouldn't have thought about using RFID to initiate a more complex wireless communtication, I really like the idea.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
If it makes the 'Dark Art' of setting up a wireless network any easier, it get's my vote.

(You can't rely on your younger brother to set it up for you forever! ;) )

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Thanks. Maybe you can explain why they're using a second signaling channel to do this rather than negotiating over the primary network channel? Is this purely a security-through-proximity technique?

Is this a passive backscatter RFID, or a full blown second RF channel?

I'll admit I haven't actually looked at the patent yet, but I'm hoping to coax you into sharing more of your insights...

Apple didn't talk much about the exact implementation of their RFID system. They didn't even mention which frequency they'd be using (LF, HF, UHF (EPC Gen2?)). Its most definitely would be a passive system though.

Basically, the RFID tag is being used to store basic network information. I'm assuming SSID. If they are smart, they may also store a public key.

Then, the RFID portion is done, and the devices will connect using wireless to communicate the rest of their settings. This is why I said it would be good of Apple to have included a public key in the RFID tag. this would enable the devices to talk relatively securely even over an unencrypted channel to exchange WPA keys. Then, the full wireless security framework would be set up.

The biggest problem I see in the proposed solution by Apple is that an attacker in close proximity could get the connecting device to look at the attacker's RFID instead of the intended device. This would basically make the user's device connect automatically to the attacker's device. Oops! However, this would require an attacker in relative close proximity, and if they are further away than the user's connecting device, then they would need a higher gain output to try to trick the device. Its just one of the security implications Apple would need to work to prevent from happening in the field.

Sandfleaz

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Apple sure seems to have a lot going on these days ....sounds like lots of fun gadgets coming down the pike. Of course it's all a conspiracy to keep me broke! (it's working)

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Could this be a magic connection for all the upcoming stuff? Connect the phone to the iTV and easily get the iTV to the computer? Could this make the iPhone into a universal remote and on and on?

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I'm sure Apple could make it easier but how much easier could it already be? Communicating with my COMPUSA (no-name) router is a breeze. Took me like 1 minute to set up (if that) and with my work's router. Every time I open up my MBP, it auto-detects and logs on. *shrugs*?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
There is very little value in this. The same can be done via the wireless or bluetooth with the exception that you have to power the device.

We already have way too many RFID tags in the environment. Your shoes, your clothes, your belt, your computer, your passport, your credit card, your gas pass, etc. These devices are not secured and can be read from a distance. People can track you and your habits.

Just because you dont see the tags, does not mean they are not there. I highly suggest you fry them if you do not need them. See this http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2006/01/weapons_the_rfi.html

BTW I am a securuty consultant, I highly sugest you start zapping them if you do not need them.

For the ones you must carry like the credit cards you may want to use something like this, but I have not tested them so not sure how effective they are: http://www.rpi-polymath.com/ducttape/RFIDWallet.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.