Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romain

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2001
With this new laptop on he market, Apple better deliver a Killer upgrade if they want to remaine number one in the portable market!!!

1.7 Ghz screams
64 MB graphic card!!

Jesus, it's a killer, even if it's too heavy.

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
these posts are getting old. I'm getting tired of pointing out just why apple is just fine with their portable strategy. Think twice. Type once.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
Thinkpad

Maybe just once I can read a few posts without feeling like somebodys father. Friggin Kids.

Romain just posted his opinion, and repetitive as it is; he had a valid point. Apple clains to be the leader in potables but IBM has consistantly developed fantastic hardware. Flame me all you want; but Thinkpads are fantastic laptops and at these specs (1.7mhz / over a gig of DDR ram / combo drive...) apple is clearly no longer king of the hill.

As an IT Consultant I use both computers, and I love macs but what sets me off are the fanatics that scream at whine at apple all day long on these rumor sites to make their computers 300mhz faster and flame each other for voicing their opinions. The Powerbooks will be updated whenever they get around to it... Apple wants to make great hardware/software/electronics; but like every company in the world has roadblocks to overcome (ie: motorola; lazy workers; bottomline).

Meanwhile IBM can concentrate on just building hardware in their upstate NY sweatshops paying highschool kids min wage to make their products. They don't have to worry about their bottom line because they know that their several business partnerships guarantee that they will sell/lease enough of their new laptops to cover their expences.

Bottomline.... If you want a powerbook buy one.

If you want a thinkpad buy one.

Just dont jump up someones butt when they start a thread you dont agree with.

Catch ya later.

Romain

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2001
Look People.
It's all very well to be pro Apple, no matter what, but one as to be real.
Apple is in constent threat of loosing there market shares, and the only
way they wouldn't, is by creating great, stable, (stalish maybe), but most
of all powerfull computer.
Now, up untill now the powerbook was the best out there. and for us
miltimedia road warior, it was no brainer that we would by it.
Now Ibm as release a demon of speed, and apple is at the stage of rumors
for a speed increase.
See what I mean? Apple as to keep up with what the multimedia industry
wants if they want to sale to them.
All I care about is raw power.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Thinkpad

Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
Maybe just once I can read a few posts without feeling like somebodys father. Friggin Kids.

Romain just posted his opinion, and repetitive as it is; he had a valid point. Apple clains to be the leader in potables but IBM has consistantly developed fantastic hardware. Flame me all you want; but Thinkpads are fantastic laptops and at these specs (1.7mhz / over a gig of DDR ram / combo drive...) apple is clearly no longer king of the hill.

As an IT Consultant I use both computers, and I love macs but what sets me off are the fanatics that scream at whine at apple all day long on these rumor sites to make their computers 300mhz faster and flame each other for voicing their opinions. The Powerbooks will be updated whenever they get around to it... Apple wants to make great hardware/software/electronics; but like every company in the world has roadblocks to overcome (ie: motorola; lazy workers; bottomline).

Meanwhile IBM can concentrate on just building hardware in their upstate NY sweatshops paying highschool kids min wage to make their products. They don't have to worry about their bottom line because they know that their several business partnerships guarantee that they will sell/lease enough of their new laptops to cover their expences.

Bottomline.... If you want a powerbook buy one.

If you want a thinkpad buy one.

Just dont jump up someones butt when they start a thread you dont agree with.

Catch ya later.

In the past, IBM has consistently lagged behind when it came to what they put into their laptops. Most notably, was the video card they used. Until VERY recently, they used the Savage series (been dead to desktops for some time now, and rightfully so). Only now are they moving to ATI cards.

They hold a MAX of 1GB of RAM... not more... Just like PowerBook G4's do.

I an in the IT/IS division at work and have seen both the Apple laptops, and IBM products here. Corporate purchases T2x series laptops from IBM, and whatever is the latest PowerBook from Apple. Dollar for dollar, you get a better product from Apple then IBM could ever produce.

Never mind the fact that IBM is no longer making desktop hardware, just servers now. They are farming out EVERYTHING except servers to other plants/makers, and slapping the IBM logo on them.

If you want a stable laptop, get an Apple, if you want a stinkpad (as they are commonly called within the company), then get an IBM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.