Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gernb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2002
Just bought a DVR-A05

Read through a few thread on this site and others and haven't been able to draw a solid conclusion.

I'm running 10.2.6 on a dual 500

I know the drive has to go in the top slot and be set to master

Do I have to flash it with a new firmware for the mac or can it just go in as is? If it needs to be flashed...how do I do that?

I want to use this with iDVD

Huge thanks in advance for any tips you can provide

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't need to be flashed. I installed my A05 into my dual 1.25 and it was recognized on startup. I've burned several dvds on iDVD and also several data DVD. Everything works fine for me.

gernb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2002
cool...that's kind of what i guessed but i hadn't seen that said definitively anywhere...

here's hoping for no kernel panics...

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't need to be flashed. I installed my A05 into my dual 1.25 and it was recognized on startup. I've burned several dvds on iDVD and also several data DVD. Everything works fine for me.

Was this as a secondary drive?

i have a DVD/DCRW combo and was thinking about the DVD-R option in addition to the combo drive. Do i have to get rid of the combo drive? Thanks

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
Yeah, it's a secondary drive. Superdrive on top, combo on the bottom. The new MDD powermacs have the second door built in already. And both work great. I use the combo for burning CD since it's actually faster than the superdrive.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by DreaminDirector
Yeah, it's a secondary drive. Superdrive on top, combo on the bottom. The new MDD powermacs have the second door built in already. And both work great. I use the combo for burning CD since it's actually faster than the superdrive.

Great! thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.