Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
Just looking for some constructive feedback if you guys dont mind. I know the setting is a little funky, but hey, thinkin outside the box.

Attachments

• DSC_0040 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_0040 - Version 2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0163 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_0163 - Version 2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0095 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_0095 - Version 2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0177 - Version 2.jpg
    DSC_0177 - Version 2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0252 - Version 4.jpg
    DSC_0252 - Version 4.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 78

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Just looking for some constructive feedback if you guys dont mind. I know the setting is a little funky, but hey, thinkin outside the box.

wow, everything is very dramatic and I like the B&W values. I'm not quite sure what is trying to be expressed by the people's expressions and the setting that they're in. anyway, these are good images.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I think the images are really nice, but like wmmk, I'm thrown off by the expressions versus setting - seems like you're just taking modeling photos to take 'em (which is fine).. but there's no real message or "feeling" to 'em.

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
I like all of them except the first and last.. the just seem to.... I think fake

But I LOVE the second one... It reminds me of those deep moments where i personally question reality (but then i snap out of that and go play more video games :p)

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
the one with the mirror is quite good. perhaps a bit too sharp? a lesser DOF and focusing on the mirror image would work quite well...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
AS a whole it seems that you and your buddies got together and took a bunch of silly photos. However, they somehow work. I would keep a more shallow DOF because otherwise they look more like snap shots than anything else. What was your lighting setup for these?

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
AS a whole it seems that you and your buddies got together and took a bunch of silly photos. However, they somehow work. I would keep a more shallow DOF because otherwise they look more like snap shots than anything else. What was your lighting setup for these?

this whole gig is an unofficial modeling shoot. There is really no expressed theme or feeling intended to get across. The overall theme of the shoot was "gender-blending, but we got all kinds of emotion out of it. I basically just used the on camera flash and whatever other light i had to work with. I have a new flash module for this year so well see what i can do as far as creative lighting. More advise on depth of Field is appreciated.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
this whole gig is an unofficial modeling shoot. There is really no expressed theme or feeling intended to get across. The overall theme of the shoot was "gender-blending, but we got all kinds of emotion out of it. I basically just used the on camera flash and whatever other light i had to work with. I have a new flash module for this year so well see what i can do as far as creative lighting. More advise on depth of Field is appreciated.

You seem to be good at the technical aspects of photography. You need to work at being expressive. Beginners think about manual controls and composition as they shoot. Intermediates think about perfect exposure and lighting. Experienced photographers think about making a statement of some sort. The greats just shoot.:) You sort of seem to be between the second and third, but closer to the third.

I hope I got that point across well.:eek:

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
Thanks

You seem to be good at the technical aspects of photography. You need to work at being expressive. Beginners think about manual controls and composition as they shoot. Intermediates think about perfect exposure and lighting. Experienced photographers think about making a statement of some sort. The greats just shoot.:) You sort of seem to be between the second and third, but closer to the third.

I hope I got that point across well.:eek:

I will most definately take that as a compliment as i would still consider myself an amature photographer with a fairly good for composition and ambient lighting conditions. as my arsenal of equipment grows i will be able to create more interesting lighting in my shoots (especially modeling). Any other details that i should concern myself with?

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
First, if you want comments, please number your pics.

Second, all the shots in the toilet cabinet have shadows on the wall which arent great IMHO.

The best shot (fashion wise) is the girl on the counter.

If you want to do a lot of B&W, go buy a few art book and notice how they play with the contrast. This is mainly done by playing with the levels and RGB channels and gives a lot of impacts to the shots.

Finally, try to shoot from different height. It will help to make your pics more interesting and unusual.

Good work and keep it up, seems like you have a lot of people willing to get shot and thats a great training ground!

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Reminds me of a drug deal going down in the ladies room. Very expressive! I'm not sure these are any good in a model's portfolio, other than the female.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.