Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
I'll be getting a new PC soon and I was wondering if it is possible to have both my PowerBook and my PC connected to my apple 20" display so that I could switch between the two computers.

Thanks in advance.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
You'd need a DVI switch as least. A KVM switch (which switches signals for keyboard, video, and mouse) would be better. Then you could have one set of peripherals on your desk for both computers and could just switch between them.

EDIT: It really depends on whether or not you run your PowerBook in lid-closed mode at the moment though. If you use it open w/ the screen, every time you switch to the other display (at least with a cheap KVM switch), the Mac will think it has been unplugged and switch everything over to the PowerBook's screen. Actually, a PowerBook complicates this a bit. I've only ever done it with a Dell display that had a VGA input too. So I put the PowerBook (in lid-closed) on the DVI in, and the PC on the VGA in. When I switched that, the monitor was never disconnected so I never had problems. Not sure if the cheaper KVM switches are the same. You might need to do some research on them.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is one of the main reasons I usually recommend that people don't buy Apple displays: their lack of inputs. Almost any other 20" monitor on the market today has at least two inputs -- VGA and DVI -- that you can switch between. The Dells have four. Apples have only one.

A good KVM switch is an option. Or you could sell the ACD and buy a different monitor.

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Thanks a lot for the very fast replys.

It seems I'm going to have to buy a KVM switch. Could anyone recomment me a decent one?

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Thanks a lot for the very fast replys.

It seems I'm going to have to buy a KVM switch. Could anyone recomment me a decent one?

Like the other poster suggested, stay away from the cheap ones (and there is a lot of cheaply made stuff out there). Also, there is still a lot of old technology on the market; VGA/PS-2. You probably want DVI/USB. Prepare to spend $150/up for something decent. As an alternative, you could go with a DVI switch and a second USB switch. I did this for awhile, before I found a good combination switch. I have had good luck with Gefen ex*tend*it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.