Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hey everyone!
I have been working hard with a few other mac-using photographers/geeks to get a Qt HDR app working on OS X. Being a total idiot, my efforts never got anywhere, but one guy finally got a universal binary running, and its only dependency is Qt (exiv2, libjpeg, fftw3, openexr, and ilmbase libraries are built in). Anyway, it runs very smoothly and more tone mapping operators available than photomatix, but unfortunately does not automatically align images.

I'm wondering how one would go about either aligning images in photoshop or finding an automatic program to do that.
I'd really appreciate any help!

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Try using the Photomerge function in Photoshop.

File - Automate - Photomerge.

Some cropping may take place though.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
You can do this also in iPhoto, by selecting the picture and then go to adjust and then play around with the straighten slide bar. this probably is quicker than photoshop. I think this is only the latest version of iPhoto though, but could be wrong.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
I personaly merge the all the pictures together in PS. Then I take that one big picture (some times you have to split it in two) into Photostitch from Canon and let it do the rest.

Its very easy, straight forward, and free (well if you have PS and a Canon camera).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey everyone!
I have been working hard with a few other mac-using photographers/geeks to get a Qt HDR app working on OS X. Being a total idiot, my efforts never got anywhere, but one guy finally got a universal binary running, and its only dependency is Qt (exiv2, libjpeg, fftw3, openexr, and ilmbase libraries are built in). Anyway, it runs very smoothly and more tone mapping operators available than photomatix, but unfortunately does not automatically align images.

I'm wondering how one would go about either aligning images in photoshop or finding an automatic program to do that.
I'd really appreciate any help!

Sliding the images around in PS is a quick and dirty option. But using only translation and rotation of align images only works if the lens has zero distortion. If there is any distortion or if the camera moved between shots then you have to "warp" the image together. In a typical image file the "image scale" is spatially variant and linear transforms can't product perfect result.

[edit] here is a better introduction : http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/stitching_seamless_panoramas_with_hugin

Here is a good place to start http://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.