Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Im and making it the web site called OneTechGalaxy and I need a logo, I am a horrible and makeing Logos whenever I try and make one it comes up horrible. Can any of you help me? The website is a place where technology lovers can watch videos, read blogs, chat in the forums and other stuff. I'd love to have a really cool logo.

Thanks

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Hate to make to fine a point of this, but if you want a cool professional logo, then you need to hire a professional. Start with the design/art/graphics department of your local college or university for referrals.

It doesn't need to be professional, I was looking at the the others make me a logo threads and there were some really cool ones.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I just wanted to warn you that in a little while a bunch of angry designers bombarding you with things like "We don't work for free" will begin posting. :)

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
First off, a lot of the best logos are the simplest ones...so don't try to do anything too complex. Another tip would be to make your logo in a vector based drawing program like Adobe Illustrator. Since Illustrator is $$, you might try out Inkscape if you don't have Illustrator and can't afford it.

Instead of asking someone to create it for you, give it another go yourself and then come back here for critiques on how you can improve it...designers are often much more willing to suggest how to improve the design of something you did yourself than to come up with a creation and give it away.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
First off, a lot of the best logos are the simplest ones...so don't try to do anything too complex. Another tip would be to make your logo in a vector based drawing program like Adobe Illustrator. Since Illustrator is $$, you might try out Inkscape if you don't have Illustrator and can't afford it.

Instead of asking someone to create it for you, give it another go yourself and then come back here for critiques on how you can improve it...designer's are often much more willing to suggest how to improve the design of something you did yourself than to come up with a creation and give it away.

I am downloading Inkscape now, is it easy to use?

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
i do not understand. you want a logo, but you do not want to pay for it? what exactly are you offering for compensation to the designer then?

I wasent looking for a professional designer I was looking for someone has some free time and would like to help. I'll try and make my own.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
Remember the angry designers you were warned about? Here's your first one. I'll be kind.

"Hey I've spent too much money painting the outside of my house, do you think you could paint the inside of my house for free?"

"um, no."

"Well why not? I mean, you know how to paint well, and I don't. So can't you just do it as a favor? It can't possibly take that much time. C'mon."

"....no."

Yeah, seems a little ridiculous doesn't it?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I am downloading Inkscape now, is it easy to use?

I have Illustrator, so I haven't used Inkscape myself...just seen it recommended here as a low cost alternative to Illustrator. I'm guessing, like Illustrator it is probably fairly easy to do simple things and the more complex drawing you wish to do, the harder it is to nail down. It looks like it may have built-in tutorials....the basic tutorial is online here.

BTW, I can't recall if Inkscape requires X11 to be installed or not. If it does, Apple provides it on the OS X install discs.

Edit...just found additional online tutorials listed here.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I am fairly sure that if you check any local schools or universities that there would be someone that would love to design you a logo. When they have to present their projects in class they can say "...and it is being used right now by so and so for their website".

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I am fairly sure that if you check any local schools or universities that there would be someone that would love to design you a logo. When they have to present their projects in class they can say "...and it is being used right now by so and so for their website".

It's also a good portfolio piece, which is compensation enough for many design students (since their portfolio is so critical after graduation).

That could be time consuming, however, as you'd have to contact the school, find out who to talk to, have that faculty member email or contact students they think might be interested, then that student would have to find time to work on it... you get the idea.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
I have Illustrator, so I haven't used Inkscape myself...just seen it recommended here as a low cost alternative to Illustrator. I'm guessing, like Illustrator it is probably fairly easy to do simple things and the more complex drawing you wish to do, the harder it is to nail down. It looks like it may have built-in tutorials....the basic tutorial is online here.

BTW, I can't recall if Inkscape requires X11 to be installed or not. If it does, Apple provides it on the OS X install discs.

Edit...just found additional online tutorials listed here.

yes it does require the X11 for OS X install. Just thought you should know. I like inkscape and find it better suits the illusrations i do, Plus it doesn't crash as much as illustrator when dealing with heaving vector art. AND ITS FREE!:D

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
i do not understand. you want a logo, but you do not want to pay for it? what exactly are you offering for compensation to the designer then?

I'm sorry, but your attitude in this thread is completely uncalled for. There are a dozen polite ways of letting this guy know that you don't do work for free, the least of which is just not replying.

There actually are people out there who don't mind throwing together a quick logo for free, and there are plenty who do. It was already stated at least once in the thread before you chimed in that if he was looking for quality work, he should spend money on it.

Sorry for the rant. I agree with what you're saying, but you just plumb ticked me off with your attitude.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
well then, i suppose you had better get used to being ticked off, because i could care less how my comment made you feel. my question was sincere, justified, and asked in a respectful and polite tone. if you have a problem with that i suggest you learn to use the "ignore" feature of this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.