PDA

View Full Version : Placed my order

Considering
Jun 5, 2003, 07:59 AM
For the 1ghz 15" powerbook. Being an MCSE for the last 4 years, I am somewhat nervous. But after everyone's advice, and seeing that overall, mac users seem to be having a good experiance, I went ahead and ordered it up.

I'll post updates on my experience when I recieve it.

So excited! :D

patrick0brien
Jun 5, 2003, 03:50 PM
-Considering

Ok then, here you go!

Let us know when you get it in!

And we'll be here to help you through the transition!

Remember, you'll tend to overthink the GUI operations. On a Mac, doing something is simpler than you're likely used to.

For example, did you know there is no Uninstaller in OS X?

Because you don't need one :D

shadowfax
Jun 5, 2003, 05:18 PM
one thing that IS NOT intuitive on OS X: to change your computer name, you have to go into the "sharing" menu under networking in the system preferences. this was about the only thinf in OS X that really threw me off at first. i had to post the question in an MR thread, and i think übergeek or someone told me.

just for a heads up. and an assurance that if you ever need anything, this is one of the fastest ways to get help. there are a ton of people that visit this place daily, even hourly. i spend hours here each day hanging out and discussing stuff, and helping people out when i can.

Stelliform
Jun 5, 2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Considering
For the 1ghz 15" powerbook. Being an MCSE for the last 4 years, I am somewhat nervous. But after everyone's advice, and seeing that overall, mac users seem to be having a good experiance, I went ahead and ordered it up.

I'll post updates on my experience when I recieve it.

So excited! :D

I hate to be a dark cloud here, but shouldn't you wait until the updates to the 15" (Although I have that laptop, (what I switched to myself in November.) It is a great machine! It is hands down the best laptop I have ever owned. And the biggest problem is that when I work on other stuff for work, Like the two new Dell C-800's I just setup for a client, I can't get excited over them since my Laptop is so much better. :) )

Anyway, I just don't want you to get frustrated when a better cheaper model comes out in less than a month. I waited for the update on the TiBooks when I bought mine and that was excruciating. I can see that you would want to hurry and get one. Just expect to see refurb models for hundreds less than you are paying in a bit over a month.

Considering
Jun 6, 2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Stelliform
Just expect to see refurb models for hundreds less than you are paying in a bit over a month.

Yeah, I figured this would be the case. However, I didn't do too badly on the price, since my college has an account or whatnot with Apple. So I got a few hundred off the top, and an education loan type of thing.

There are a few more excuses for why I didn't wait...the job I am at now I will soon be leaving, and there goes my T1 connection. Since I live out in the boondocks, all I have is dialup. Bleh. Be nice to get updates and downloads here before I leave...

Originally posted by Shadowfax
one thing that IS NOT intuitive on OS X: to change your computer name

Yeah, I figured this out the hard way with my loaner iMac I borrowed from the company to at least get the "feel" for how the mac worked. But half the fun of switching will be learning the ins and outs of the new OS. :D

As for the offers of help, I'm very thankful...if there is one thing I have noticed every switcher mention, it's the strong sense of community that mac users have. I have to agree, and I think beyond any hardware or software feature they may offer, that sense alone is worth the switch.

I didn't know about the uninstaller...but I suspected that it did not. :) Everything is just too clean to need a built-in program to wipe away all the mess of DLLs and registry entries that a windows program creates all over your drive.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and advice, I will let ya know when I get it in (prolly monday)

Considering
Jun 10, 2003, 08:39 AM
It came!

Won't make this a book long post, but I am typing on my new mac. I've had it for a day now, got it connected to my network, all my files copied over, etc. It is a beautiful machine...excellent workmanship. Like the glowing apple or the sleep light...very cool.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know, I'm sure I'll be posting some questions soon enough! :D

solvs
Jun 10, 2003, 09:29 AM
Don't regret your purchase for one moment. Even after the new ones come out. You got a new model now for a really good price. The next ones won't be out for awhile, and we don't know how much they will cost, or what they will have inside. You're going to be very happy with your purchase for a long time.

Might I suggest, though, buying AppleCare. You can buy it anytime with in the next year. Otherwise you only get 1 year hardware and 90 days tech support. Not that I expect it to fail on you, but being able to call them if you have a question helps. Besides, HDDs and RAM can go out.

Not to worry, if you don't have any problems within 3 months, you probably won't.

springscansing
Jun 10, 2003, 09:47 AM
Apple is nice on tech support. I called them up for a 7600 which never had applecare on it and they were very helpful. Great company!

Stelliform
Jun 11, 2003, 07:14 AM
I agree with solvs, you have the last model TiBook. I am sure it will hold its resale value well, and it is a nice machine. :) I do enjoy the heck out of mine. :D

(I also agree on the Apple care. I haven't bought mine yet, but my old Imac with Applecare just gave up the ghost. Repair price if I didn't have applecare would have been $1100! I would have had to buy a new computer. Now I am sure that my experience isn't typical, but I sure am glad I got applecare. :))