PDA

View Full Version : 12" PowerBook G4 will not recognize HD

ddTaylor
Mar 11, 2007, 08:34 PM
I have a 12" PowerBook G4 that stopped recognizing the factory hard-drive some time back. I have a G4 iBook so I was not in a hurry to look into it. I removed the old hard-drive and replaced it with a Scorpio drive of 60GB. It still fails to recognize the hard-drive. If I run the Apple Care diagnostics it hangs at the start-up while 'scanning for volume' or something like that. It hangs for 15-minutes or more and never moves past. The CD-RW drive is fine as I can boot the machine into the OSX installer up to the point where it asks for a destination...at which point nothing is selectable. It is a 867MHz G4 PowerBook with 768MG RAM. This is a fantastic notebook and I would hate to see it remain in this state. Does anyone have any ideas? I replaced the IDE cable and hard-drive with all new Mac OEM parts (except the HD) and reset the PRAM or PMU or what ever it is called...with no results.

Anyone? Please?

Thank you in advance...Darren

Reflow
Mar 11, 2007, 08:41 PM
I have a 12" PowerBook G4 that stopped recognizing the factory hard-drive some time back. I have a G4 iBook so I was not in a hurry to look into it. I removed the old hard-drive and replaced it with a Scorpio drive of 60GB. It still fails to recognize the hard-drive. If I run the Apple Care diagnostics it hangs at the start-up while 'scanning for volume' or something like that. It hangs for 15-minutes or more and never moves past. The CD-RW drive is fine as I can boot the machine into the OSX installer up to the point where it asks for a destination...at which point nothing is selectable. It is a 867MHz G4 PowerBook with 768MG RAM. This is a fantastic notebook and I would hate to see it remain in this state. Does anyone have any ideas? I replaced the IDE cable and hard-drive with all new Mac OEM parts (except the HD) and reset the PRAM or PMU or what ever it is called...with no results.

Anyone? Please?

Thank you in advance...Darren

Did you fomat the drive first?

ddTaylor
Mar 11, 2007, 08:45 PM
Uhhh...no. How is that done with only the Apple Care disk and only the 1st disk on the PowerBook restore?

Thanks...Darren

Reflow
Mar 11, 2007, 08:49 PM
Uhhh...no. How is that done with only the Apple Care disk and only the 1st disk on the PowerBook restore?

Thanks...Darren

The CD-RW drive is fine as I can boot the machine into the OSX installer up to the point

If you get to this point to got to disk utility before you install the OS

ricksbrain
Mar 11, 2007, 09:16 PM
Disk Utility will allow you to reformat the drive (HFS+ Journaled, I think is recommended). After you do this, you can install the OS using the restore disk.

Good computer. Good fortune.

ddTaylor
Mar 12, 2007, 09:52 PM
Well...that did the trick. Did I mention I feel inadequate for not knowing that? :)

Thanks for all the help.

Darren