PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 Indigo- Questions with much needed answers.

kildraik
Mar 12, 2007, 12:37 AM
I'm getting ready to pick up a nice 366MHz Indigo clamshell G3 (Firewire) locally for $30: the only catch is that the battery holds no charge (he has the charger though, so it works).

Now, the battery is no problem... it's the RAM I want to upgrade. Aside from it's 64mb Built in, he has a 128 pc66 stick in it. Otherworld Computing is offering a 512 mb stick but at the speed of PC100. It says it works in all iBook G3 models, including all clamshells. (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/100SO512328L/)

Will PC100 ram work in a PC66 slot? Everything is identical except that speed... Will the computer just only be able to run at 66mhz out of the 100mhz that is available?

Also, with upgraded RAM, will this be able to run any OS X version, and if it can, what can it run?

Thank you!

Will

BoA*
Mar 12, 2007, 03:31 AM
I think (don't quote me) it can run up to Panther, not sure on tiger. I have the dual USB one running 10.2 or is it .3? Anyways...

I think the ram will work, I'm having a charger problem like you so I was looking for legacy chargers... Good machine though, I actually envy you because I've always wanted the coloriBooks! :P

JonBoy470
Mar 12, 2007, 06:37 AM
PC100 RAM will work fine in a PC66 computer like the clamshell iBook. Panther requires a built-in USB equipped G3 or better Mac. Tiger requires built-in Firewire and a G3. Apple does not officially sanction any of the various processor upgrade cards on the market.

Spock
Mar 12, 2007, 08:22 AM
PC100 RAM will work fine in a PC66 computer like the clamshell iBook. Panther requires a built-in USB equipped G3 or better Mac. Tiger requires built-in Firewire and a G3. Apple does not officially sanction any of the various processor upgrade cards on the market.

The Indigo iBook has built in Firewire, I have Tiger running on this same machine. It runs smooth, but not good for much more than iTunes and web surfing.You will also need a way to install Tiger on the machine as it lacks a DVD Rom, I used Target disk mode and another Mac.