PDA

View Full Version : Mac the ripper

acearchie
Mar 12, 2007, 02:28 AM
I am a boarder at school and my school firewall blocks the downloads of .zip files!!!! Does anyone know a way around this???
Thanks!

Markleshark
Mar 12, 2007, 03:47 AM
Fraid we wont be able to help with bypassing security systems...

This thread will no doubt be heading to the wasteland. Sorry.

annk
Mar 12, 2007, 01:18 PM
I am a boarder at school and my school firewall blocks the downloads of .zip files!!!! Does anyone know a way around this???
Thanks!

Like the previous poster said, we won't help you to circumvent your school's IT-policy. But why not ask them yourself? Find out exactly what they want to block and why, and let them know your needs. As long as you're not trying to do anything illegal, they just might be willing to help you find a way to do what you want.

Work within the system. ;)

acearchie
Mar 12, 2007, 01:27 PM
Ive taken both your points on board and have decided to live with it until we get internet in our rooms which pretty close as they have already got building works on my boarding house!

I have another small question if the school uses "Lightspeed system content filtering (total traffic control v6)" will I be able to open things like msn and connect?

(btw I have no previous knowledge of lightspeed...)

Thanks!

annk
Mar 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
Ive taken both your points on board and have decided to live with it until we get internet in our rooms which pretty close as they have already got building works on my boarding house!

I have another small question if the school uses "Lightspeed system content filtering (total traffic control v6)" will I be able to open things like msn and connect?

(btw I have no previous knowledge of lightspeed...)

Thanks!

I don't know anything about it either, but I googled it and found some info. A lot of it was too technical for me, but I got the impression that it's up to the person configuring the system to decide what can and can't get through.

Here's (http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=6166) an article about version 6. I understand completely that schools have a need to enforce their IT policies, and as long as people break them, software like this will be necessary. But it did occur to me that the information they can collect could easily be abused. They can even see key words used in searches...:eek:

Someone who's more technically savvy will probably respond to this, too. :o