PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 401(ok)


jiker
Jun 5, 2003, 09:51 AM
We all know iTunes 4.0.1 has taken away Internet sharing. However, the good news comes from the creator of iCommune, Jim Speth (as told to boingboing.net):

Well, I whipped up a crappy little application called 401(ok) that combines a few hacks to restore internet-wide sharing to iTunes 4.0.1. I know I really liked the ability to access *my* music from anywhere, and I didn't like that the 4.0.1 update removed that feature. Steve giveth, and Steve taketh away. You can download it here (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/icommune/401ok-0.1.sit?download) . I made it as quickly as I could, and it could use a lot of improvement. I'll make it better if people think the basic functionality is worthwhile.

There you go.

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 5, 2003, 10:03 AM
I read the readme, it its seems way hacky, and the fact that both the server and the client have to be running 4.0.1 and 401 ok make it to complicated for me to spend my time on. I am waiting for a better release.

Cleaver name though 401 ok.

maradong
Jun 5, 2003, 10:05 AM
i think it has already been posted.

btw as long as their are no other users which you don t know, listening to your music, i don t think there is a problem, but if there are, that s illegal. i know that nobody cares about, but it is Illegal. - period.

melchior
Jun 6, 2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by maradong
i think it has already been posted.

btw as long as their are no other users which you don t know, listening to your music, i don t think there is a problem, but if there are, that s illegal. i know that nobody cares about, but it is Illegal. - period.

so is letting people that you do know listen(download?)

rainman::|:|
Jun 6, 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by maradong
i think it has already been posted.

btw as long as their are no other users which you don t know, listening to your music, i don t think there is a problem, but if there are, that s illegal. i know that nobody cares about, but it is Illegal. - period.

no one mentioned sharing music here. Just accessing it from another location. Give it up, the moral high ground is fine when it's relevant to the discussion... otherwise it's preachy.

when you go buy a set of steak knives, the clerk does not say "by the way, if you're planning on stabbing someone with these, that's Illegal"... so there's really no point to bringing it up every time iTunes streaming is discussed.

:rolleyes:
pnw

rainman::|:|
Jun 6, 2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by melchior
so is letting people that you do know listen(download?)

Not quite. It's certainly not illegal to lend a CD, nor is it illegal to listen to a CD with friends-- which is essentially what's happening here-- the friend is just in another place. iTunes streaming is and was perfectly legal.

pnw

DeusOmnis
Jun 6, 2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Not quite. It's certainly not illegal to lend a CD, nor is it illegal to listen to a CD with friends-- which is essentially what's happening here-- the friend is just in another place. iTunes streaming is and was perfectly legal.

pnw



However, playing music on the radio without paying the proper fees is not. I think this is closer to that than the cd lending idea.

I, however, do not care about the steaming. The music industry can go screw itself - they charge too much. (Now i'm definately off topic)

thekaiser
Jun 7, 2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
However, playing music on the radio without paying the proper fees is not. I think this is closer to that than the cd lending idea.

I, however, do not care about the steaming. The music industry can go screw itself - they charge too much. (Now i'm definately off topic)

You are right in saying that playing music on the radio is not legal if it is in a commercial environment. For instance, the local mall cannot play a particular radio station without proper licensing. However, when it comes to personal use there is no limit. Anyone can play the radio at their house or someone elses house. Therefore, iTunes should be the same way if it is being used privately not commercially.

bennetsaysargh
Jun 7, 2003, 09:35 PM
i kinda wish the person didn't have to be running 401ok, but still.

i never, and i promise never, used the iTunes streaming for music downloading oir stealing. it was just one of those things that you had to listen to it in real time, convert it to a smaller format, do this, do that, and then you can have a song, when you could find another app, but that app has one thing wrong with it, and so on. also, too many apps for it.

daytona63
Jun 9, 2003, 11:21 PM
I really don't know if this is related, but after running iTunes 401(ok), I started having problems with FTP access on my 'puter. I can log onto my computer from another via FTP, but when I type 'ls' in Terminal, or when I try to download a file off my computer, eventually I get this message: "
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||49954|)
200 EPRT command successful.

421 Service not available, remote server timed out. Connection closed"

Any ideas? Coincidence?