PDA

View Full Version : Another driving distraction: Thank SameLane

nateDEEZY
Mar 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
A company called SameLane has developed proprietary software that, if embraced by the general public, is sure to help cause highway havoc and increase the number of accidents and deaths on the highway.

Think of the opportunities SameLane presents. A stalker can breathe heavy while ogling a sexy Nissan driver up ahead. A sports fan can rag a rival while bobbing and weaving through traffic—plus he get to pump up his blood pressure, too. If you’re scoping for a hook-up, that guy in the pink VW cabrio looks mighty cute…ring his chimes!

Click link (http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/CW/20070312/BLOG02/70309010) for entire article + press release.

I can't imagine the type of people that would buy into this "social networking." It's bad enough that half the people I see talking on there cell's always manage to slow down 15~20mph slower than the speed limit.

jayb2000
Mar 12, 2007, 11:28 AM
New and Improved Road Rage!
Now you can actually yell at another driver instead of just flipping them off and honking the horn!

:rolleyes:

mrkramer
Mar 12, 2007, 11:35 AM
Yay now I can tell the slow drivers in front of me to move over.:rolleyes: This will be even better once we get driving while talking on a cell phone banned next year.:rolleyes:

comictimes
Mar 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
great time for this to come about, just as more and more states are banning cell phone usage while driving...

thedude110
Mar 12, 2007, 02:36 PM
Until the cars are doing the driving for us, yes, a profoundly bad idea.

Also a profoundly bad idea because it's easy to imagine how the perception of security and distance that makes road rage so possible will feed into a whole new mode of harassment and abuse.

Apple Hobo
Mar 12, 2007, 07:50 PM
Fortunately, this sounds dumb enough to not become popular. MySpace at 80 MPH...w00t for that. :rolleyes: Also, it seems like you will have to register your plate into their network in order to participate in these idiotic techno high jinks. You wouldn't want just any anonymous scumbag to call you up and say, "hey, baby, you can't see me, but I'm beating-off to you! ::moans:: ::swerves car::"

Yay now I can tell the slow drivers in front of me to move over.:rolleyes:

That would be great, but ninguna persona en esta área habla inglés. :D

Poseidon
Mar 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
I can't imagine the type of people that would buy into this "social networking." It's bad enough that half the people I see talking on there cell's always manage to slow down 15~20mph slower than the speed limit.

It's no so much that they drive slowly but rather drive distractedly. Holding that phone up to their face and running their yap seems to prevent most folks from being able to look around or pay attention to what the heck they're doing.

I'm not completely adverse to folks calling while on the road but at the very least a hands-free set-up (like required by law in Chicago) should be mandated.

MarkCollette
Mar 16, 2007, 02:06 PM
I just want an electronic billboard on the back of my car, so when I finally pass the person doing 40 km/h, I can flash some message to them. Nothing rude, just:

SLOW TRAFFIC USE RIGHT LANE --->
THAT MEANS YOU --->

Poseidon
Mar 16, 2007, 03:20 PM
Many years ago a buddy of mine owed a crappy Camero that he decided needed to have a PA system.

Anyway, if someone did something really stupid on the road, my buddy would sometimes offer driving "hints" or "advice." To his credit those occasions were few and far between but I've always wanted something like this for my current car.

Of course, knowing how bad things can be on the road (road rage incidents galore, folks carrying handguns and other weapons) maybe it's a good thing I don't have something like this!

killr_b
Mar 17, 2007, 04:54 PM
Yay now I can tell the slow drivers in front of me to move over.:rolleyes:

I agree. But a sign that says "Slower traffic keep right" would be faster, cheaper and put the law on our side. :D

This will be even better once we get driving while talking on a cell phone banned next year.:rolleyes:

No, you just need a hands-free ear piece. ;)