Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikpmort

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
windows was acting screwey, aka it wouldn't start up even in safe mode. So i'm like ok, i'll do a fresh install, update to the latest version of boot camp etc. well after i restored the disk to a single volume and went to repartition (becasue i needed more space in windows) boot camp said that it could not partition the disk. It said to use disk utility to repair the disk... i "repaired it" and tried again to no use... i tried to install windows anyway and partition it through the startup process but when it says to push c to make a partition it doesn't work. the letter c does not work. da! so this is where i'm stuck and unless i get it particioned i can't reinstall windows. and help would be great

Erik

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
windows was acting screwey, aka it wouldn't start up even in safe mode. So i'm like ok, i'll do a fresh install, update to the latest version of boot camp etc. well after i restored the disk to a single volume and went to repartition (becasue i needed more space in windows) boot camp said that it could not partition the disk. It said to use disk utility to repair the disk... i "repaired it" and tried again to no use... i tried to install windows anyway and partition it through the startup process but when it says to push c to make a partition it doesn't work. the letter c does not work. da! so this is where i'm stuck and unless i get it particioned i can't reinstall windows. and help would be great

Erik
You don't push C to select partition C. Instead, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate partition in the Windows installer, once you've created the partition in Boot Camp assistant (trying to create the partition in Windows installer won't work, as you've noticed).

To repair your startup disk, you must boot from the Mac OS X installer DVD (or CD) and choose Run Disk Utility from the menu instead of installing Mac OS X.

erikpmort

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
did you know you can also run the disk utility from the system preferances instead of bothering with the cd? well when i booted from the cd it fixed the problem so it must be more effective in some way :confused: anyway it worked and repaired the disk. thanks another success!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
did you know you can also run the disk utility from the system preferances instead of bothering with the cd? well when i booted from the cd it fixed the problem so it must be more effective in some way :confused: anyway it worked and repaired the disk. thanks another success!
Yes, you can do that... but if your startup disk needs repairs, you can't repair it while booted from it. Hence why I suggested using the CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.