PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Battery Fire

MacRumors
Mar 12, 2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple's laptop batteries are once again feeling heat after one MacBook owner's laptop caught fire (http://mactalk.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=28926), apparently stemming from the battery.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/03/12/macbook_batt_fire_300.jpg

As I was running I saw a fire. At first I thought that the lamp had fallen and set fire to the curtain. As I got closer I realised it was my mac book .... burning! I picked it up and blew on it and swung it around to put the flames out. The book shelf it was sitting on was burnt and there were a couple of magazines that were on fire too.

According to the user, the laptop was charging at the time but not in use (asleep with lid shut). Last summer, multiple PC vendors (develop Li-Ion battery standards ("http://www.macrumors.com/2006/08/24/apple-recalls-1-8-million-batteries/>including Apple[/url]) issued massive battery recalls due to defective Sony-made batteries. The recalls prompted Apple, Dell, and Lenovo to hold a summit to [url="http://www.macrumors.com/2006/08/23/apple-dell-lenovo-to-develop-battery-standards/).

Apple has historically used Li-Ion batteries in its iBook and PowerBook laptops, but has opted for Lithium Polymer batteries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer) (Li-Poly) in its MacBook and MacBook Pro computers. One of the supposed advantages of Li-Poly batteries is reduced combustibility.

While the incident is certainly disturbing, it is unknown how widespread the issue is. Currently, there are no safety recalls affecting the MacBook or MacBook Pro, and Apple has yet to respond to the incident.

Jesus
Mar 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
Oh no, here we go again. It can't be sony again, it would be ludicrous. It would be great if the mavbook user, or for that matter, Apple could find out who manufactured those cells. I hope no one was hurt.

shabbasuraj
Mar 12, 2007, 01:17 PM
YAY lawsuits!!!!!

e12a
Mar 12, 2007, 01:19 PM
you know Apple's gonna send PR reps like mad to his service..

i see a brand new C2D Macbook Pro for him...maybe more.

acearchie
Mar 12, 2007, 01:19 PM
yikes! Luxcky he wasnt using it at the time!!!!

p.s how do these things happen??? Do they just go pop or does it happen gradually?

!

Mar 12, 2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry, but ONE case of battery fire published on the Net means nothing to me. The recall is completed and Apple has dealt with the problem in the most transparent manner.

This is simply irrelevant in statistical terms...problems will always occur, but to say that one case of fire means a "return of the haunted batteries" is just silly...move along, citizens...:rolleyes:

epicwelshman
Who voted this positive? Batteries that caught fire... oh yay, time for partying. Stupid.

xli_ne
man that looks nasty

ppnkg
Mar 12, 2007, 01:21 PM
now that's scary. I'm sorry for the guy's macbook and furniture. Let's see how apple is going to respond to this.

By the way, I always leave my hp laptop connected to the charger and mains. Is that a bad practice? Or are we dealing here with a problem which is specific to these batteries?

Darkroom
Mar 12, 2007, 01:21 PM
RIP little MacBook

4God
Mar 12, 2007, 01:22 PM
Sorry, but ONE case of battery fire published on the Net means nothing to me. The recall is completed and Apple has dealt with the problem in the most transparent manner.

This is simply irrelevant in statistical terms...problems will always occur, but to say that one case of fire means a "return of the haunted batteries" is just silly...move along, citizens...:rolleyes:

Would you still say that if it were your Macbook? :rolleyes:

psychofreak
Mar 12, 2007, 01:22 PM
I don't know why people hate recalls; my dad's vaio lasts 30 minutes on a charge, and he was really irritated when he found it wasn't on the recall list...

aricher
Mar 12, 2007, 01:23 PM
The recent photos below are from a co-worker's MacBook Pro. His was asleep on a desk - he said he heard a loud "pop" and the found this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/362715385_a3c9ccd35c.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/362715380_1b95ff1674.jpg

He took it into the Apple Store and they replaced it right away.

bm9703a
Mar 12, 2007, 01:25 PM
Look at where it started burning... by the connector between the battery and the logic board. This is an electrical fire, but it is NOT an exploding battery. Something caused a short circuit at the connection, possibly even user error. Don't rush to sensationalist judgement over these pictures.

andiwm2003
Mar 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
imagine that happens on an airplane over the atlantic. my guess in a few month we won't be allowed to use any laptop in flight anymore.

also makes me nervous knowing that my notebook is sitting at home alone plugged to the outlet..........

xli_ne
Mar 12, 2007, 01:31 PM
Look at where it started burning... by the connector between the battery and the logic board. This is an electrical fire, but it is NOT an exploding battery. Something caused a short circuit at the connection, possibly even user error. Don't rush to sensationalist judgement over these pictures.

O NOES don't blame our dear Apple. God forbid.

richdun
Mar 12, 2007, 01:31 PM
As I got closer I realised it was my mac book .... burning! I picked it up and blew on it and swung it around to put the flames out.

:eek: Not quite a Darwin award, but not the brightest LED in the bundle.

nagromme
Mar 12, 2007, 01:35 PM
O NOES don't blame our dear Apple. God forbid.

And NEVER discuss for a moment the possibility that the fire was caused by a different component ;)

anim8or
Mar 12, 2007, 01:36 PM
The recent photos below are from a co-worker's MacBook Pro. His was asleep on a desk - he said he heard a loud "pop" and the found this:

Any chance you could ask if he has ever noticed a black mark on his macbook pro between the battery and the battery release buttons, right where his has popped!

Iv noticed a few times that i get this black sort of charcoal mark that wipes clean in that area and first thot it ws my carry case rubbing off against the hot battery... i have since stopped using the carry case and the mark is still appearing!!!

I cannot afford to have anything happen to my laptop or send it for repair/replacement as it has all of my degree work on it.

Also did the was the battery replaced or the whole macbook pro???

rockthecasbah
Mar 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
It sucks that happened, but i think this is just an isolated incident. A shame that it happened but very unlikely to recall. Things go wrong but it doesn't mean its the manufacturer's fault or the fault of the actual equipment. It may be just as bm9703a stated, an electrical fire or something to that effect :o

mi5moav
Mar 12, 2007, 01:40 PM
if you shorted the stock then this may be a positve vote...WEEHOO. Especially if you own Dell or HP stock...there is never a single point of view.

anoopmj
Mar 12, 2007, 01:41 PM
:eek:

this is really scary... i have to admit i do get a little worried every time the fan comes on!!

iSee
Mar 12, 2007, 01:42 PM
I suddenly noticed mine looked like that a few weeks ago, although I didn't notice when it happened. Apple replaced it (the battery that is--it was the only thing affected). It makes you think, though. That basically should never happen.

Bob Knob
Mar 12, 2007, 01:42 PM
This wasn't some fire that just happened out of the blue... According to his story he had been having power/battery issues for three weeks. If your car had been having the power go on and off you would have taken it to the shop and you would not have been using it.
He didn't even have a good battery in his smoke detector.
The article doesn't say if this was a new battery or one that was on the recall list.

Bob Knob
Mar 12, 2007, 01:48 PM
Any chance you could ask if he has ever noticed a black mark on his macbook pro between the battery and the battery release buttons, right where his has popped!

Iv noticed a few times that i get this black sort of charcoal mark that wipes clean in that area and first thot it ws my carry case rubbing off against the hot battery... i have since stopped using the carry case and the mark is still appearing!!!

I cannot afford to have anything happen to my laptop or send it for repair/replacement as it has all of my degree work on it.

Let me make sure I get this right... You have clear signs of electrical arcing and you can't afford to lose all your data... so you aren't going to send it in for repair because you can't be without it? You've got to be kidding.

iSee
Mar 12, 2007, 01:51 PM

I had the same problem and I inspected the battery well and battery very closely. I didn't see a black mark like the one you describe (nor any kind of black mark or anything else out of whack.)

I only needed the battery replaced. The battery itself kind of "popped" but all the expansion was downward, away from the rest of the computer.

Now that the battery is replaced, my computer is behaving normally (even before the battery popped, it had been shutting off when the battery power when below ~10%).

FYI to all - check Apple's web site for battery recalls that may affect your MBP. My battery was actually under a recall, but I didn't know about it until after it popped. Link: http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/. Certain models of iBooks, PowerBooks and and MBPs are under a battery recall.

SkyBell

Well, for one, it's a Macbook, not a Macbook Pro. :rolleyes:

And yes, after a Fire like that, there's pretty much no way it could be prepared.

DaLurker
Wow... wonder what Apple PR's going to offer him :) At least he'll get some good gear out of this. I wouldn't use a Macbook again after an incident like this if it happened to me personally.

iSee
Mar 12, 2007, 01:56 PM
As I got closer I realised it was my mac book .... burning! I picked it up and blew on it and swung it around to put the flames out.

That's not fair. It's true that fanning a fire will cause it to burn more intensely--at a certain level. But, of course, it is possible to entirely blow out a small flame. Whether swinging it around and blowing on it would intensify the flame or blow it out is a judgement call which, apparently, the OP made correctly.

BigPrince
My must meet requirements would be:
A BETTER Replacement Computer
Some Apple Software

My Dream requirements would be:
WWDC Ticket w/air and hotel
30 inch cinema display
Meeting with Steve Jobs
GOOD Discounts on all future Apple Products
iPhone with service.
tickets to all Future Macworlds.

SkyBell
Wow... wonder what Apple PR's going to offer him :) At least he'll get some good gear out of this. I wouldn't use a Macbook again after an incident like this if it happened to me personally.

Well, maybe, but you've got to remember this was a very rare incident. Its not a common occurrence. The chances of this happening are less then 1 in a million, so I wouldn't be worried.

iSee
Mar 12, 2007, 02:01 PM
Well, for one, it's a Macbook, not a Macbook Pro. :rolleyes:

And yes, after a Fire like that, there's pretty much no way it could be prepared.

I think anima8tor was referring to aricher's MBP pictures, not the OP's burned MB--at least that's what I assumed in my response to his post... :)
---
Edit: Oops, it's not the "OP's burned MB"--it's the burned MB from the story that started this thread.

Mar 12, 2007, 02:01 PM
Would you still say that if it were your Macbook? :rolleyes:

Sure. I would go to Apple and get a new one...and not pretend that it happens to every MB out there.

wincc
Mar 12, 2007, 02:13 PM
imagine that happens on an airplane over the atlantic. my guess in a few month we won't be allowed to use any laptop in flight anymore.

also makes me nervous knowing that my notebook is sitting at home alone plugged to the outlet..........

I went with British Airways from London to Sydney a month ago and the crew told us that Dell and Apple notebooks were not allowed to be used....:o

john7jr
Mar 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/03/12/macbook_batt_fire.jpg

Call me skeptical, but:

A) That's not the battery. It's next to the battery. I've seen the explosion photos and they don't generally explode in that direction. I could be wrong, but based on the picture, and not seeing the actual laptop, I'd say it's not necessarily battery related.

B) The magazine sitting next to it appears scorched too on the edge, as if the MacBook may have been sitting on the magazine when it caught fire. Potentially, if the machine got hot enough the magazine may have been the source of the flame. Perhaps the machine was closed, but crashed instead of sleeping, and then seriously overheated.

It's still concerning, but not as concerning as sensationalistic journalism riding the recall battery backlash.

iTwitch
Mar 12, 2007, 02:15 PM

Never a bucket of sand around when you need one. :)

Jonacco
Mar 12, 2007, 02:19 PM
This wasn't some fire that just happened out of the blue... According to his story he had been having power/battery issues for three weeks. If your car had been having the power go on and off you would have taken it to the shop and you would not have been using it.
He didn't even have a good battery in his smoke detector.
The article doesn't say if this was a new battery or one that was on the recall list.

Regardless of battery problems or not, a fire is a very extreme case and not the usual outcome of computer related issues such as this. I just hope some mainstream news source doesn't pick this up or it could mean bad news for Apple. Nobody likes to see a flaming laptop - and given the rare circumstance, people (most consumers) are reckoned to be scared off from this sort of event.

notjustjay
Mar 12, 2007, 02:20 PM
B) The magazine sitting next to it appears scorched too on the edge, as if the MacBook may have been sitting on the magazine when it caught fire. Potentially, if the machine got hot enough the magazine may have been the source of the flame. Perhaps the machine was closed, but crashed instead of sleeping, and then seriously overheated.

What temperature do you need to have for a magazine to spontaneously catch fire?

That would have to be one serious overheat.

SuperCompu2
Mar 12, 2007, 02:21 PM

No MacBook batteries are featured on the Recall List. Only those of PowerBook G4s and Maybe iBooks I think.

Either way, these things make you worry about laptops spontaneously bursting into flames; especially the older models in your homes you may take for granted to sit quietly and charge all day. I'd personally be really nervous if a new product were to catch fire, with all the strict requirements needed to pass safety tests.

But I do agree strongly with the theory above. The magazine may have started the fire after a sleeping overheat (becoming more and more common with MacBooks, just read a post not 20 minutes ago) and thus lead to the power leads or some other flammable part of the underside.

ortuno2k
Mar 12, 2007, 02:22 PM
It doesn't really scare me, but it does concern me that I leave my MBP plugged in at home all the time.

aricher
Mar 12, 2007, 02:22 PM

No scorch marks, just the battery was replaced and his MBP has been fine ever since - about a month now. If your MBP is showing black scorch marks I would recommend getting it looked at ASAP!

J.Stunnaz
Mar 12, 2007, 02:23 PM
it could be a bad battery, or some short circuit, or that the person probably didnt take good care of their mac, since by the pic that person's house looks like trash.

longofest
Mar 12, 2007, 02:23 PM

There are no recalls for MacBook batteries. There is one non-safety related recall for MacBook Pro batteries (https://support.apple.com/macbookpro15/batteryexchange/), and of course there is a big recall (https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/) for iBook and PowerBook batteries that DOES have to do with safety, but not for the MacBook.

Li-Poly batteries were supposed to prevent/reduce the risk of just this type of scenario.

Link to see all Apple's active recalls: http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

john7jr
Mar 12, 2007, 02:24 PM
What temperature do you need to have for a magazine to spontaneously catch fire?

I also grabbed one of our MacBooks here for comparison. I was trying to remain objective, but that really is the battery, I had forgotten they are longer than the previous iBook batteries.

I also read his post those pictures came from. It sounds like the battery controller chip was shorting out or a cell was dying. Either way, he had clear evidence that it was damaged and continued to use it until it burnt his bookshelf up.

So I'm more inclined to say it really is a battery defect which should be looked into, but also a stupid user who deserves to be smacked for letting it happen.

anim8or
Mar 12, 2007, 02:26 PM
Let me make sure I get this right... You have clear signs of electrical arcing and you can't afford to lose all your data... so you aren't going to send it in for repair because you can't be without it? You've got to be kidding.

So what, you suggest i send it away and be without my entire years work for an animation degree, due in 8 weeks, and hope my tutors just say oh well here's a top mark, or any mark at all, anyway.

Perhaps you need to read a little harder before replying.

I can back up but cannot give up a day never mind potential weeks without a computer to work on!!!

Are YOU kidding!!!!!!

longofest
Mar 12, 2007, 02:27 PM
it could be a bad battery, or some short circuit, or that the person probably didnt take good care of their mac, since by the pic that person's house looks like trash.

How would you suggest that the person better take care of his Mac to prevent the thing from exploding when it is not even being used?

You aren't the only one to have insinuated user error, but come on folks... Could he have heeded the warning signs a bit earlier? Yes. But then again, hindsight is 20/20 and there seems to be a bunch of Monday-morning quarterbacking going on as to what HE should have done to prevent his laptop from catching fire. :(

Assuming he didn't subject the machine to extreme conditions (hot/cold or other tampering), which at this moment considering past history of batteries I have no reason to believe he did, the laptop's battery catching fire can't be blamed on the user. No ifs, ands, or buts.

alansky
Mar 12, 2007, 02:29 PM
"I cannot afford to have anything happen to my laptop or send it for repair/replacement as it has all of my degree work on it."

Uh... You do backup your files, don't you???

longofest
Mar 12, 2007, 02:32 PM

Fahrenheit 451 ;)

anim8or
Mar 12, 2007, 02:33 PM
I think anima8tor was referring to aricher's MBP pictures, not the OP's burned MB--at least that's what I assumed in my response to his post... :)
---
Edit: Oops, it's not the "OP's burned MB"--it's the burned MB from the story that started this thread.

iSee

You are correct i was referring to the other pics.

I have checked the apple site to see if my battery is a recall battery and its not.

I received my macbook pro the day before they released the C2D ones, a month o two after the big battery recall and a long time after the initial macbook pro battery recall.

pacohaas
Mar 12, 2007, 02:33 PM
I can back up but cannot give up a day never mind potential weeks without a computer to work on!!!
If you're working on something that sensitive, i wouldn't be doing it on a laptop. You need to be working on a desktop that has a RAID mirror set up in case of hard-drive failure and much more user-serviceable/replaceable parts in case of other error. Seems kinda stupid to spend all that time and effort working on a machine with so many potential failure points and few easy fixes.

nateDEEZY
Mar 12, 2007, 02:34 PM
Who voted this positive? Batteries that caught fire... oh yay, time for partying. Stupid.

Probably the same people who vote negative on good rumors..

juanm
Mar 12, 2007, 02:35 PM

Farenheit 451 maybe? :D

Juan

EDIT: Ach, too late!

daneoni
Mar 12, 2007, 02:35 PM
This is certainly disturbing, considering i leave my MBP plugged in 95% of the time. I don't think i would ever forgive myself, if my house were to burn down thanx to faulty manufacturing of a notebook, powerbricks (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=418593574&size=m) or magsafes (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=113019035&size=m&context=set-72057594082940769)

tehdee
Mar 12, 2007, 02:40 PM
Fahrenheit 451 ;)

ha. you beat me to it.

i wonder if the op's mb was running in mac os x or win xp/vista at the time. was the computer actually ASLEEP, or running with the lid closed?

Lancetx
Mar 12, 2007, 02:40 PM
Just this one incident doesn't mean that all MB batteries are potentially unsafe as freak accidents do occur. Let's at least give Apple the opportunity to investigate what happened in this case before jumping to any hasty conclusions.

twoodcc
Mar 12, 2007, 02:41 PM
i hope this doesn't affect my macbook pro

Clive At Five
Mar 12, 2007, 02:43 PM
Some Apple Software

30 inch cinema display
Meeting with Steve Jobs
iPhone with service.

That's it?

How about instead of meeting Steve Jobs, you get to battle him to the death over the CEO position?

-Clive

anim8or
Mar 12, 2007, 02:46 PM
If you're working on something that sensitive, i wouldn't be doing it on a laptop. You need to be working on a desktop that has a RAID mirror set up in case of hard-drive failure and much more user-serviceable/replaceable parts in case of other error. Seems kinda stupid to spend all that time and effort working on a machine with so many potential failure points and few easy fixes.

What do you suggest? That i buy a desktop and lugg it with me everywhere.

I bought a professional portable computer as i need to work both in college and at home, and anywhere else i may need to.

What an inane suggestion that it is me who is foolish for using a portable for important work.... hmmm what a dummy i am!!!!!!!

As i said earlier i backup regularly in case of such problems. What i asked is if anyone else had such a problem with any solutions.

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 02:48 PM
now that's scary. I'm sorry for the guy's macbook and furniture. Let's see how apple is going to respond to this.

By the way, I always leave my hp laptop connected to the charger and mains. Is that a bad practice? Or are we dealing here with a problem which is specific to these batteries?

Ideally we'd all turn things off at the plug to save energy...

Evangelion
Mar 12, 2007, 02:49 PM

Question: Were your thoughts/comments like that when we heard of the "Exploding Dell-battery"? Did you say back then that "OK, let's just relax, this is statistically irrelevant. Move along"? For some reason I don't think so. What I think that happened is that you said/thought "More proof that PeeCees suck!" or something like that.

Am I right, or am I right?

SiliconAddict
Mar 12, 2007, 02:49 PM
Two things that should be noted and should scare people. First off the system was asleep as was the users of the system. This more then anything else scares the crap out of me. While this may be an isolated incident even the possibility of my laptop catching fire when I'm either asleep or away gives me the :eek: 's. And while someone else did point out that this is probably an isolated incident the simple fact is this kinda crap shouldn't happen period. System failures sure. System burnouts where a capacitor blows on the system board. Fine. Fires? Not so fine. :(
I think its amazing we havn't run across a story where someone's house has burned down because of a laptop....any laptop. Granted in such an instance it would take time to determine the cause of a house fire, but still. I'm hoping Leopard has the hibernate function readily accessible. The more I hear about this the more I want my system totally turned off when I'm out of the house.

GulGnu
Mar 12, 2007, 02:50 PM

It's outside, the couch is used for his dog, hence the look. (He explained that in the linked thread, pre-emptively ;) )

jnorcr
Mar 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
I have found, on two occassions, that when I close the lid to my MBP (entering sleep mode), without disabling the bluetooth mouse first, slip it into the computer's sleeve ... then turn off the mouse, my clumsy manipulation of which seems (in hindsight) to wake the computer and leave it on, but closed in the sleeve, causes it to heat up to the point where it is honestly dangerous to touch.

I can see how an MBP could end up catching fire in such a case.

:apple:

EagerDragon
Mar 12, 2007, 03:00 PM

Better get a thumb drive or external disk and backup your work, sounds like your baby is about to fry, besides allways good to have a backup even if it is not.

gugy
Mar 12, 2007, 03:02 PM
I smell some cooked eggs! :eek: :D

hayesk
Mar 12, 2007, 03:06 PM

No, it's not bad practice. No more than leaving any electrical device plugged in.

hesdeadjim
Mar 12, 2007, 03:08 PM
So what, you suggest i send it away and be without my entire years work for an animation degree, due in 8 weeks, and hope my tutors just say oh well here's a top mark, or any mark at all, anyway.

Are YOU kidding!!!!!!

To be fair, you could borrow or rent a computer for a week or so as it's being repaired. I'm not saying you should but no reason to get upset.

I have a backup computer around when I'm working on something of that magnitude, just in case.

tuartboy
Anyone notice that these all seem to happen while the new intel macs are sleeping?

I have heard multiple times that people are not getting their new macs to sleep (esp. the 17" MBP) and sometimes pull them out of their bag and they are almost too hot to touch. The new mac laptops intake air through the keyboard (i think so. my PB does) and if the lid is closed it can cause ventilation problems.

Maybe there is a correlation between the 2 issues.

hayesk
Some Apple Software

30 inch cinema display
Meeting with Steve Jobs
iPhone with service.

That'd be nice, but assuming it was a defect, Apple owes him a new MacBook, and maybe enough to cover what was destroyed - nothing more.

Though unlikely, there's the possibility that a foreign object got into the battery bay in the MacBook and caused the short. We don't know what happened yet, although my money is on a short inside the battery casing.

ChrisA
Mar 12, 2007, 03:10 PM

In use or turned off, plugged into AC or not. It does not matter much. The energy is stored inside the battery and if something shorts the battery it will get hot and possibly catch fire. I know of a case where a DSLR camera turned off and stored in a bag started a closet on fire.

If you want to see what I'm talking about try this experiment: Remove the battery from your car. Place it on the ground. Place a screwdriver across the terminals. Notice that now you now longer have a screwdriver. See... not plugged in, not in use, battery was not defective. Same can happen to a notebook battery even if the notebook is unplugged and not in use. All you need to something to cause a short.

How many notebook computers has Apple sold? I assume "millions". If so then I'd expect to see several "one in a million" freak accidents and this may be just one of those.

iW00t
Mar 12, 2007, 03:10 PM

Come back to me again when the "second one" leads to a fire in the middle of the night and results in a lost home and 3 dead children.

The liability payout for that will be more than what Apple makes in a quarter...

anim8or
Mar 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
Just off the phone with apple.

they are sending me a new battery asap and sounded very concerned.

In saying this they could not confirm if it was indeed the battery that was causing the marks and have said that should any marks reappear with the new battery then further investigation would be required.

Credit to the support team for a very quick response.

hayesk
Mar 12, 2007, 03:11 PM
Two things that should be noted and should scare people. First off the system was asleep as was the users of the system. This more then anything else scares the crap out of me. While this may be an isolated incident even the possibility of my laptop catching fire when I'm either asleep or away gives me the :eek: 's.

Then you should unplug your fridge, stove, microwave, ... heck, you should turn off all the power to your house every time you leave. There's a chance that this could happen to any electrical device.

And while someone else did point out that this is probably an isolated incident the simple fact is this kinda crap shouldn't happen period. System failures sure.

Car accidents should never happen, stuff should never break, kids shouldn't get cancer.

I think its amazing we havn't run across a story where someone's house has burned down because of a laptop....any laptop. Granted in such an instance it would take time to determine the cause of a house fire, but still. I'm hoping Leopard has the hibernate function readily accessible. The more I hear about this the more I want my system totally turned off when I'm out of the house.

Don't forget to turn off every other electrical device you own.

pacohaas
Mar 12, 2007, 03:14 PM
What do you suggest? That i buy a desktop and lugg it with me everywhere.

I bought a professional portable computer as i need to work both in college and at home, and anywhere else i may need to.
I suppose you're right, and I would probably do the same in your situation working on an animation degree, but I might have gotten a MB for the portable stuff and an imac or Mac Pro for home/serious animation work since heat issues while rendering video will affect a laptop more than a desktop. Or even just a cheap PC at home to use as an extra backup/documenting station so even if your mac laptop dies, you can use your regular backups to at least work on your documentation while it's being repaired/replaced.

I can certainly understand your frustration with an expensive piece of machinery that now has you worried, but as many posters have said so far, this is an isolated incident, get your "black marks" checked out at an apple store and get a new battery if it still concerns you and you should be fine. School is stressful enough, no need to create more by wondering "what if".

lwmcanada
Mar 12, 2007, 03:15 PM
check this out: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXSnW1ZTCSg

shamino
Mar 12, 2007, 03:15 PM
There is no standard meaning of what a positive vote means.

Some interpret it as "I approve of what the article is describing" or "this is good news".

Some (myself included) interpret it as "you should read this article," regardless of whether the news is good or bad.

I vote "approve" or "disapprove" based on whether or not I consider it a waste of time to follow its links (to the original source or to the discussion pages.)

zblaxberg
Mar 12, 2007, 03:18 PM
you know Apple's gonna send PR reps like mad to his service..

i see a brand new C2D Macbook Pro for him...maybe more.

no way! get this man an iphone stat!

pacohaas
Mar 12, 2007, 03:20 PM

Sounds good! You could also run it plugged in with the battery removed to see if that makes the black marks stay away.

kcroy
Hmmmmmmm. Suspicious. I am waiting to read more.

shoobe01
I took a co-worker's brand new macbook pro out of his bag to look at it and burned myself so badly it was visible (and hurt) for several days. No medical treatment needed, but how hot could it have gotten? This bug where they don't sleep is stupid. Even if they are not starting fires, how good can that be for the hardware?

In statistics and paranoia news, yipes, a bunch of you need to calm down. Houses burn down all the time for all sorts of reasons, and now how many of you are going to leave your computers off and unplugged when unattended from ONE sensationalized event. Which did not even destroy the structure?

Schneier has a good essay on this:
http://www.schneier.com/essay-155.html

Bullet point 1 of his standard list is what I am referring to mostly here:
People exaggerate spectacular but rare risks and downplay common risks.

caccamolle
Mar 12, 2007, 03:24 PM
this is so obvious !!!!

It is only a matter of time before the same thing happens to my MBP.

It's just pathetic how hot it gets.

Man, Apple products starting with the PM G4, have truly sucked big time in terms of quality control at least compared to what Apple had gotten us used to and I doubt those like me who've been purchasing Apple products since the Apple II can disagree.

It just sux. Nonetheless I continue to purchase Apple and Apple only !!!!!

shamino
Mar 12, 2007, 03:26 PM

Are YOU kidding!!!!!!
If your work is that important, then you're completely insane to not make backups.

Your hard drive will fail. Maybe not tomorrow, but it will fail. And when it does, it will take all of your work with it, whether or not you have the time to make a backup. Ditto for what will happen when your battery catches fire.

It doesn't take all that much time to insert a blank CD (or DVD, if your project is large) and burn your work to it. You can even let it do this while you are eating or sleeping if you have no spare time (or are you going to claim that you don't eat or sleep?)

caccamolle
Mar 12, 2007, 03:26 PM

of only one you have just heard, but you have no idea whether there are more.

ZeeG
Mar 12, 2007, 03:30 PM
Does MacBook (or MacBook Pro) still use Sony battery?

floatingspirit
Mar 12, 2007, 03:33 PM

Let's call Gil Grissom. Either he'll know or maybe he can get the lab on it :)

MonksMac
Mar 12, 2007, 03:34 PM
Let's call Gil Grissom. Either he'll know or maybe he can get the lab on it :)
Well he does use a PB G4...

caccamolle
Mar 12, 2007, 03:35 PM
by the way as I far I can tell the heat of the MPB is not necessarily linked to the battery.

If I unplug the battery and run it with the electrical plug, it gets just as hot, and I mean hot.

It is indeed worrysome.

anim8or
Mar 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
If your work is that important, then you're completely insane to not make backups.

Your hard drive will fail. Maybe not tomorrow, but it will fail. And when it does, it will take all of your work with it, whether or not you have the time to make a backup. Ditto for what will happen when your battery catches fire.

It doesn't take all that much time to insert a blank CD (or DVD, if your project is large) and burn your work to it. You can even let it do this while you are eating or sleeping if you have no spare time (or are you going to claim that you don't eat or sleep?)

I DO backup, almost everyday!!!!! What i meant by the statement that you quote from me is that backups are useless if one has no computer to work on them, so if i were to send my laptop for repair then i would have a back up but nothing to work on!

Jeez!

daneoni
Mar 12, 2007, 03:40 PM
I DO backup, almost everyday!!!!! What i meant by the statement that you quote from me is that backups are useless if one has no computer to work on them, so if i were to send my laptop for repair then i would have a back up but nothing to work on!

Jeez!

Deep breathes now, in.....and.....out....

brianbobcat
Mar 12, 2007, 03:40 PM

This EXACT thing happened to my 17" MBP's battery to the point that I was wondering how you got a hold of my pictures. The genius I went to quickly called for a battery replacement, but since there were none in stock needed to order it. I ended up needing to wait almost a week for a replacement, and even at that needed to call applecare to ask where the replacement was. Eventually the very helpful applecare lady called the manager of my local retail store and had them swap out my ever-enlarging-despite-not-plugged-in-to-any-power battery for a regular retail one. Now to be fair, I did leave my laptop in the car once or twice last summer, but that was 6 months before I battery went all expando on me.

-Brian

hyperpasta
Mar 12, 2007, 03:43 PM

BACK UP!

willybNL
Mar 12, 2007, 03:44 PM
I wonder if this was a machine that previously had the RSS (random shutdown syndrom).... and how heavely it was used, what week, what exact type... etc.

(for both the fire as the poped here).

parrothead
Mar 12, 2007, 03:47 PM
How do we know that the guy didn't just take a blowtorch to the thing because he wanted a new computer?

SeaFox
Mar 12, 2007, 03:50 PM
As I was running I saw a fire. At first I thought that the lamp had fallen and set fire to the curtain.
This first sentence really doesn't make any sense. Did he run because he saw a fire? "As I was running..." implies his running was unrelated to the events with the computer, like he just runs laps in his house and noticed his Macbook burning on the shelf as he passed it. Thinking the curtains were on fire would make sense if you were outside your house and saw a fire at the window.

This is what a hard disk backup strategy is for. You also might consider keeping your documents on a flash drive so you can use them on any computer should yours become incapacitated (no pun intended).

Look at where it started burning... by the connector between the battery and the logic board. This is an electrical fire, but it is NOT an exploding battery. Something caused a short circuit at the connection, possibly even user error. Don't rush to sensationalist judgment over these pictures.
How does user error cause a fire inside the machine's case, short of him dumping his coffee in the laptop?

Fahrenheit 451 ;)
It might be different for magazines. They have to keep some pretty hot stories on newsstands. :D

brianbobcat
Mar 12, 2007, 03:51 PM
Anyone notice that these all seem to happen while the new intel macs are sleeping?

I have heard multiple times that people are not getting their new macs to sleep (esp. the 17" MBP) and sometimes pull them out of their bag and they are almost too hot to touch. The new mac laptops intake air through the keyboard (i think so. my PB does) and if the lid is closed it can cause ventilation problems.

Maybe there is a correlation between the 2 issues.

This is ALWAYS happening to me, and I have gotten no answer as to why it happens or how to stop it. I know it happens for 3 reasons; my optical drive makes a wicked noise upon waking from sleep, I'm always connected to iChat so provided we're somewhere near wifi, it tries or sometimes has connected and logged on, and on one occasion I had music start to play. I've also found that movement makes it happen. Try this: close your lid let it sleep all the way so the sleep light starts pulsing, then flip your computer via all three axis. One time I was watching a music video and instead of pausing the video, I simply closed the lid and let it pause itself. I made sure my lappy was actually asleep before I put it in it's sleeve, but then upon walking up some stairs, the video resumed playing and I could really just stop and open up my comp to pause it and re-sleep it. I've also had my computer be in sleep upon entering my sleeve, then shut down when I go to take it out, my guess is that it turned on in the sleeve, began to overheat, and shut down prematurely.

Anyone else have similar symptoms?

-Brian

Str8edgepunker
Mar 12, 2007, 03:52 PM
Eeek, That picture is just darned scary. :eek:

/Full backup done on saturday.

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 03:52 PM
No, it's not bad practice. No more than leaving any electrical device plugged in.

I recommend turning things off to save energy. Might also stop things from burning down (besides rainforests).

notjustjay
Mar 12, 2007, 03:56 PM
Farenheit 451 maybe? :D

Yeesh. Sorry I asked :rolleyes:

(Still, that would be one ridiculously serious overheat. You could bake a cake with less heat than that!)

Jay (who apparently needs to read more :D)

BuzWeaver
Mar 12, 2007, 04:01 PM
Fire bad.

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 04:02 PM
This is ALWAYS happening to me, and I have gotten no answer as to why it happens or how to stop it. I know it happens for 3 reasons; my optical drive makes a wicked noise upon waking from sleep, I'm always connected to iChat so provided we're somewhere near wifi, it tries or sometimes has connected and logged on, and on one occasion I had music start to play. I've also found that movement makes it happen. Try this: close your lid let it sleep all the way so the sleep light starts pulsing, then flip your computer via all three axis. One time I was watching a music video and instead of pausing the video, I simply closed the lid and let it pause itself. I made sure my lappy was actually asleep before I put it in it's sleeve, but then upon walking up some stairs, the video resumed playing and I could really just stop and open up my comp to pause it and re-sleep it. I've also had my computer be in sleep upon entering my sleeve, then shut down when I go to take it out, my guess is that it turned on in the sleeve, began to overheat, and shut down prematurely.

Anyone else have similar symptoms?

-Brian

No, but this is worrying. Do you use external KB or mouse?

stewford
Mar 12, 2007, 04:08 PM
I had been using the MacBook while being a passanger in a car, once I had completed my work I decided to shut the computer down. I didn't realise at the time but I closed the lid part way through the shut down process and placed the laptop back in its bag. On arrival to my meeting I pulled the laptop out of the bag which was at finger burning temp, it seemed to be locked in a state of running everything at full speed. It took a further 10 minutes to cool down enough to restart.

anim8or
Mar 12, 2007, 04:15 PM
BACK UP!

Does anyone read these forums or do they just skim over them....

I'll say it again for the hard-of-inteliigence.

I DO BACK UP ALMOST EVERYDAY, DONT HAVE TIME TO BE WITHOUT COMPUTER AS HAVE TO HAND IN FINISHED FILM IN 8 WEEKS FOR ANIMATION DEGREE!!!

as for the comment on what i study!

I study animation, anyone out there with experience of video editing (never mind hi res animation editing compiling etc) will know how storage intensive such a medium is. I back up always, i have a 400GB external that goes everywhere with me and one at home for backing up!!!!

Lets get back to the point, who cares about my backing up process etc.

POINT: I asked if anyone had a similar issue as me, if so what did they do.
The marks could have been caused by carry case, but since i have stopped using it and then came across the popping battery (NOT the one on fire) i was concerned.

Have since contacted apple they are sending me a new battery and asked me to dispose of the old... yes not send it back but dispose of it! Obviously they are concerned enough to find out the cause without the need for sending the whole portable in for repair ot tests. Hopefully the battery was the problem and my concerns will be left unfulfilled.

Butthead
Mar 12, 2007, 04:18 PM
From everything I've read about them, Li-Polys are every bit if not more dangerous than Li-Ion, due to physical battery construction differences. That, and Li-Poly have greater energy density; hence potential for greater release of energy (fire potential).

For the Adm here and everyone else that claim Li-Poly were supposedly better than Li-Ion as far as danger from potential fires, maybe you should read up on their 1st consumer uses in RC planes & heli at this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/batteries-and-chargers-129/?

Potential dangers of Li-Poly are well known, even if Apple or other manufacturers are not forthright about that at present (a few lawsuits later and that may change ;) ).

daneoni
Mar 12, 2007, 04:20 PM
This first sentence really doesn't make any sense. Did he run because he saw a fire? "As I was running..." implies his running was unrelated to the events with the computer, like he just runs laps in his house and noticed his Macbook burning on the shelf as he passed it. Thinking the curtains were on fire would make sense if you were outside your house and saw a fire at the window.

I think he was running towards his gf to see why she was screaming? and when you're just waking up the brain/vision takes time to become fully alert/functional.

These are my theories/interpretations.

iquitelikemacs
Mar 12, 2007, 04:26 PM
Did you see the state of that guys sofa and floor? I'm not surprised his laptop caught fire, it was probably full of cheese.

SeaFox
Mar 12, 2007, 04:27 PM
Jeez!

:rolleyes:
I have heard of people being given "loaner" machines by Apple while theirs are away being repaired. Given the severity of the damage from a battery-related issue, they night just give you a brand new laptop instead.

In which case you would be able to restore your work and continue working.

Cameront9
Mar 12, 2007, 04:27 PM

I would guess Farenheit 451, the temperature at which paper burns. (Thanks to Ray Bradbury for helping me always remember that!)

However, their may have been some perfume sample or some chemical in the plastic-like cover of the magazine that could have ignited.

Still, I would seriously doubt the magazine was the source of the flame...

swingerofbirch
Mar 12, 2007, 04:31 PM
When controversy arises I am the first to sound the alarms that it is no time to be an Apple apologist. I often say that we Apple enthusiast's must hold Apple's feet to the fire if Apple is to remain glorious. But in this serious situation, the fire metaphor seems glib. Therefore I implore us to hold Apple to task and ask it to take a good, hard look in the mirror. I know this doesn't sound as urgent as holding Apple's feet to the fire, but given the circumstances, I think it's more apropos.

PDE
Mar 12, 2007, 04:41 PM

Well, statistically relevant or not, I'm sure it was quite relevant to this user and could have killed him and his family. I think that's very serious and needs to be taken very very seriously.

SiliconAddict
Mar 12, 2007, 04:42 PM
Then you should unplug your fridge, stove, microwave, ... heck, you should turn off all the power to your house every time you leave. There's a chance that this could happen to any electrical device.

:rolleyes: the difference being that none of those components have batteries in them. I'm sorry but there is more evidence in the last year of faulty batteries then a rash of fridge, stove, microwaves buring down people's homes.

Car accidents should never happen, stuff should never break, kids shouldn't get cancer.

Yah well I've also never heard of a car battery causing your car to explode either.

Don't forget to turn off every other electrical device you own.

Whatever fanboi. The simple fact is that 90% of the hardware in one's house is time tested and proven. The same can not be said of Apple's hardware.

does anyone know if Apple's hardware is UL tested?

SeaFox
Mar 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
I think he was running towards his gf to see why she was screaming? and when you're just waking up the brain/vision takes time to become fully alert/functional.
Ah, I hadn't seen that part. He says that the battery was bulged and smoking, concluding this means it was a battery issue. But if an electrical connection close to the battery caught fire, the heat may have caused a perfectly fine battery to rupture as well.

SiliconAddict
Mar 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
Does anyone read these forums or do they just skim over them....

I'll say it again for the hard-of-inteliigence.

I DO BACK UP ALMOST EVERYDAY, DONT HAVE TIME TO BE WITHOUT COMPUTER AS HAVE TO HAND IN FINISHED FILM IN 8 WEEKS FOR ANIMATION DEGREE!!!

as for the comment on what i study!

I study animation, anyone out there with experience of video editing (never mind hi res animation editing compiling etc) will know how storage intensive such a medium is. I back up always, i have a 400GB external that goes everywhere with me and one at home for backing up!!!!

Lets get back to the point, who cares about my backing up process etc.

POINT: I asked if anyone had a similar issue as me, if so what did they do.
The marks could have been caused by carry case, but since i have stopped using it and then came across the popping battery (NOT the one on fire) i was concerned.

Have since contacted apple they are sending me a new battery and asked me to dispose of the old... yes not send it back but dispose of it! Obviously they are concerned enough to find out the cause without the need for sending the whole portable in for repair ot tests. Hopefully the battery was the problem and my concerns will be left unfulfilled.

Ignore them. These are the same twits who told me I was full of it what my MBP had to go in for repairs 5 sep times, and I was without it for a total of about 3 weeks. But hey. I can be without my computer. No big deal. Never mind I have to take a vacation day every time my computer does go in for repairs because I simply CAN NOT work without the thing....which is why I stopped using my MBP for work and went back to my trusty as a rock Thinkpad T40.
Ignore the fanbois. They are people who don't know the concept of a job critical system.

Rot'nApple
Mar 12, 2007, 04:52 PM
Some Apple Software

30 inch cinema display
Meeting with Steve Jobs
iPhone with service.

Apple might reward someone all that is on your "Dream Requirments" for laptop fire compensation if that MacBook had burned down his house!

Hey did you hear the re-release of that hit single by that group 'The MacBooks' called "Burning down the house"?!:p

Rot'nApple
Mar 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
Some Apple Software

30 inch cinema display
Meeting with Steve Jobs
iPhone with service.

Apple might reward someone all that is on your "Dream Requirments" for laptop fire compensation if that MacBook had burned down his house!

Hey did you hear the re-release of that hit single by that group 'The MacBooks' called "Burning down the house"?!:D

brianbobcat
Mar 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
No, but this is worrying. Do you use external KB or mouse?

Nope always just the MBP's KB. Occasionally I will use either my external display, not in lid closed operation though, and my bluetooth mighty mouse, but everytime I've had this happen the bluetooth's been off since I've been running it off battery and thus want to save the battery and don't even bring my mice out of the house.

Wifi on the other hand I believe is always on. Any other suggestions?

-Brian

Rot'nApple
Mar 12, 2007, 04:54 PM
Some Apple Software

30 inch cinema display
Meeting with Steve Jobs
iPhone with service.

Apple might reward someone all that is on your "Dream Requirments" for laptop fire compensation if that MacBook had burned down the house!:eek:

Hey did you hear the re-release of that hit single by that group 'The MacBooks' called "Burning down the house"?!:D

cal6n
Mar 12, 2007, 04:56 PM

Wrong.

The connector on a macbook's at the other ends.

iJawn108
Mar 12, 2007, 04:58 PM

:eek: Not quite a Darwin award, but not the brightest LED in the bundle.that one made me really LOL

He doesn't mention which model of MacBook from what I could see. Was it a C2D. I hope this doesn't show up more accross the line. Who knows it could even be fake.

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 05:00 PM

Jeez!

But your other sigs have said you have a wealth of other computers. It is why I keep my iMac. If the MacBook dies, at least I have something from which to work.

lietsche
Mar 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
This EXACT thing happened to my 17" MBP's battery to the point that I was wondering how you got a hold of my pictures. The genius I went to quickly called for a battery replacement, but since there were none in stock needed to order it. I ended up needing to wait almost a week for a replacement, and even at that needed to call applecare to ask where the replacement was. Eventually the very helpful applecare lady called the manager of my local retail store and had them swap out my ever-enlarging-despite-not-plugged-in-to-any-power battery for a regular retail one. Now to be fair, I did leave my laptop in the car once or twice last summer, but that was 6 months before I battery went all expando on me.

-Brian

this happened to me today, same thing, MBP 17"
the computer does not seem to be affected.

the battery suddenly had a battery life of 5-10 min two weeks ago, but as for working purposes I had no time to change it. I should have taken it out, but this I know only now...

so folks, if your battery life suddenly is gone, take it out immediately.

going to the store tomorrow.

hesdeadjim
Mar 12, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ignore them. These are the same twits who told me I was full of it what my MBP had to go in for repairs 5 sep times, and I was without it for a total of about 3 weeks. But hey. I can be without my computer. No big deal. Never mind I have to take a vacation day every time my computer does go in for repairs because I simply CAN NOT work without the thing....which is why I stopped using my MBP for work and went back to my trusty as a rock Thinkpad T40.
Ignore the fanbois. They are people who don't know the concept of a job critical system.

What was ultimately wrong with the MBP? Just wanted to know.

I remember when my PB had to go in for 2 weeks to get it's Logic Board replaced. I would have been extremely upset because I usually need the PB for my job but fortunately I was in a lull.

From that point forward, I always have a backup solution just in case. Right now, I have an old iMac that would suffice although it would decrease my productivity. I also have looked at getting loaners as a solution. If you talk to Apple and are willing to get the Procare (a minor investment in my eyes if it's critical), they will generally give you a loaner. Also, other companies will rent out Macs.

And the original poster wasn't very clear that he was backing up in his first post and most don't read all the posts (me included).

bilbo--baggins
Mar 12, 2007, 05:10 PM
Looks like we all need to check our smoke detectors are in good working order...

Perhaps the next MacBook revision could come with a built in sprinkler?

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 05:18 PM
Looks like we all need to check our smoke detectors are in good working order...

Perhaps the next MacBook revision could come with a built in sprinkler?

Or maybe we could pull some CO2 from the air and have a canister inside the macbook incase the damn computer caught fire...

mashinhead
Mar 12, 2007, 05:32 PM

so weird, when i went to buy mine there was another guy there who brought his in for the exact same problem. I was standing right next to him so i saw it real close. The battery did the same thing and warped like that.

SiliconAddict
Mar 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
What was ultimately wrong with the MBP? Just wanted to know.

I remember when my PB had to go in for 2 weeks to get it's Logic Board replaced. I would have been extremely upset because I usually need the PB for my job but fortunately I was in a lull.

From that point forward, I always have a backup solution just in case. Right now, I have an old iMac that would suffice although it would decrease my productivity. I also have looked at getting loaners as a solution. If you talk to Apple and are willing to get the Procare (a minor investment in my eyes if it's critical), they will generally give you a loaner. Also, other companies will rent out Macs.

And the original poster wasn't very clear that he was backing up in his first post and most don't read all the posts (me included).

They never told me. In the end the replaced the entire system the 5th time because of a screw. When it went into depot for the 4th time someone was a little too enthusastic about tightening the screw and torqed it to the point that when you try and unscrew it, it just sits and spins. The threads were toast. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but I wanted to upgrade the hard drive to my Seagate 160GB. Took it into the Apple store again, and spoke with the store manager. He took it into the back, after 20 minutes he came out and said after looking at the log of all the issues I've had they would replace it outright. Since then *knock on wood* no problems at all. If you want to know all the issues I had:

-Battery expanding....replaced

-Battery just died a week after getting it replaced.....replaced

-System crashed occasionally and would not go to sleep...replaced system board. (About 9 days, even though they had the part onsite.)

-System would wake by simply shaking the unit...same shaking you get while walking with the laptop in the bag....replaced system board (about 7 days)

-Got it back....same behavior before I even left the store....replaced system board and sensor. (About 4 days)

-Bad screw....replaced system.

All told I didn't have my system for about 3 weeks total in all of this. thankfully the batteries were a walk in replacement. the other stuff....gah. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy first gen Apple anything. And even when the come out with a rev B version I will wait a few weeks.

So far though the current system, see below, has been flawless.

MacGuffin
Mar 12, 2007, 05:47 PM
While the incident is certainly disturbing, it is unknown how widespread the issue is.

One thing's for sure: it's hardly an isolated incident. Appledefects.com has reported frequently and impartially on this issue for many months.

With most of the Apple press being less than critical in their keenness to promote and ooh and aah, we are unlikely to know the scale of the problem from them. And that's a pretty sad comment on the Apple press.

hesdeadjim
Mar 12, 2007, 05:47 PM
They never told me. In the end the replaced the entire system the 5th time because of a screw. When it went into depot for the 4th time someone was a little too enthusastic about tightening the screw and torqed it to the point that when you try and unscrew it, it just sits and spins. The threads were toast. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but I wanted to upgrade the hard drive to my Seagate 160GB. Took it into the Apple store again, and spoke with the store manager. He took it into the back, after 20 minutes he came out and said after looking at the log of all the issues I've had they would replace it outright. Since then *knock on wood* no problems at all. If you want to know all the issues I had:

All told I didn't have my system for about 3 weeks total in all of this. thankfully the batteries were a walk in replacement. the other stuff....gah. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy first gen Apple anything. And even when the come out with a rev B version I will wait a few weeks.

So far though the current system, see below, has been flawless.

Well that sucks. Yeah, my PB had a slew of problems that finally was determined to be the Logic Board. It worked great after that for a year and a half and then I had some weird problems that seemed to be fixed with reloading Tiger. I gave it to my brother recently and it seems to be having similar Logic Board problems again. I've had no problems with my 1st gen MB and very little with my old iMac (minor things). *Knock on wood*

Glad it has worked out so far knock on wood again. Sounds like minus the screw, you got a bad machine. I was hesitant to get a 1st gen MB given how critical it is but I had to upgrade my system so I bit the bullet.

nate13
Mar 12, 2007, 05:50 PM
someone may have already have said this, but the popping battery thing is simply a safety feature, found on all batteries. Sometimes your AAs will pop, so they dont explode and cause serious harm. There is just an abundance/ improper handling of the gasses made by the chemical reaction (how batteries store electricity). Although it is rare, it will happen, most likely because we drive technology at such a rate that sometimes these lapses happen, but its what you pay for being on the cutting edge.

cosmichobo
Well, maybe, but you've got to remember this was a very rare incident. Its not a common occurrence. The chances of this happening are less then 1 in a million, so I wouldn't be worried.

When my eMac started crashing in Jan06, no one believed it was more than just an oddity. By Feb06 hundreds were reporting the problem. By June06 Apple issued a Repair Program.

May be the tip of the iceburg... May be nothing... I followed the guy's posts over on Mactalk.com.au from when he first reported it happening. I know if nothing else, it needs a thorough investigation. The battery was not on the recall list. He stated that clearly.

brianbobcat
System would wake by simply shaking the unit...same shaking you get while walking with the laptop in the bag....replaced system board (about 7 days)

I'm intrigued as my system also wakes if I closed the lid and flip it in my hands. What did you really need to say or do besides show the geniuses the problem? Why exactly was the logic board replaced, as in what component on it was causing the problems?

Thanks,
-Brian

CardboardCanary
Mar 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
The battery on my MacBook Pro 17" (single core) started bulging a couple of weeks ago. By going to Apple's online store and reading reviews for the battery I have, I found out that other people who have owned their MacBook Pros for a similar time period have begun having the bulging problem as well. I'm not sure if there's a difference between "bulging" and "popping." Unlike the photos another user posted in this thread, the metal backing on my battery has stayed on, but it has a huge bulge right in the middle of it. The battery has grown more and more unreliable since the bulging began, and now the battery indicator in the menubar simply displays an "X", as if the battery is totally worthless. Fortunately I have AppleCare, and they're supposedly mailing me a new one. In case no one else has posted this yet, you can see all of the other people having this problem by looking at the reviews at the link below:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E099&nplm=MA458G%2FA

brianbobcat
Mar 12, 2007, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure if there's a difference between "bulging" and "popping." Unlike the photos another user posted in this thread, the metal backing on my battery has stayed on, but it has a huge bulge right in the middle of it.

The reason why your metal backing hasn't come off yet is because the bulge is in the middle. Mine and other's batteries happened along the edge, thus the metal backing easily popped up. You mention that you still have the battery in, TAKE IT OUT! There's obviously some fault within the battery, and by keeping it plugged in, you're sending more juice into it. I took mine out and set it on my desk as soon as I saw the bulge. Over the course of the next several days, the bulge increased to bout triple or quadruple the size, and that was without being forced with power. By leaving it in your laptop, I think you are setting yourself up for a possible fire.

-Brian

synth3tik
Mar 12, 2007, 06:39 PM
I am not all to familiar with the innards of the MacBook, but that does seem to be an cause by an electrical short and not a battery explosion.

CardboardCanary
Mar 12, 2007, 06:42 PM
The reason why your metal backing hasn't come off yet is because the bulge is in the middle. Mine and other's batteries happened along the edge, thus the metal backing easily popped up. You mention that you still have the battery in, TAKE IT OUT! There's obviously some fault within the battery, and by keeping it plugged in, you're sending more juice into it. I took mine out and set it on my desk as soon as I saw the bulge. Over the course of the next several days, the bulge increased to bout triple or quadruple the size, and that was without being forced with power. By leaving it in your laptop, I think you are setting yourself up for a possible fire.

-Brian

Yeah, I suppose that would probably be a wise thing to do...heh, heh. Hopefully Apple isn't just replacing the defective batteries with the same models again. I hope they or Sony have made some updates to the new one they're mailing me so that this doesn't happen again.

Legolamb
Mar 12, 2007, 07:06 PM
I am not all to familiar with the innards of the MacBook, but that does seem to be an cause by an electrical short and not a battery explosion.

Are you not reading about the bulging, exploding, batteries? My power cord on my Titanium was too hot to touch (replaced it) but this is clearly something else.

I've learnt from you guys that allowing the machine to sleep rather than shutting down is preferable for a number of reasons. Apple seems to suggest this themselves. So the question is given this instance - one that is statistically small and anecdotal...until it happens to you - should I go back to shutting down and recharging?

CJD2112
Mar 12, 2007, 08:31 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple's laptop batteries are once again feeling heat after one MacBook owner's laptop caught fire (http://mactalk.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=28926), apparently stemming from the battery.

According to the user, the laptop was charging at the time but not in use (asleep with lid shut). Last summer, multiple PC vendors (develop Li-Ion battery standards ("http://www.macrumors.com/2006/08/24/apple-recalls-1-8-million-batteries/>including Apple[/url]) issued massive battery recalls due to defective Sony-made batteries. The recalls prompted Apple, Dell, and Lenovo to hold a summit to [url="http://www.macrumors.com/2006/08/23/apple-dell-lenovo-to-develop-battery-standards/).

Forget the Mac Book, did any one else notice the nasty couch and crack house like linoleum floor? Where does this person live? lol :p

thejadedmonkey
Mar 12, 2007, 09:21 PM
The battery has grown more and more unreliable since the bulging began, and now the battery indicator in the menubar simply displays an "X", as if the battery is totally worthless.
</SNIP>
I have a brand new macbook pro, and at one point the battery displayed an X... should I be worried?

Corran Horn
Mar 12, 2007, 09:26 PM
Forget the Mac Book, did any one else notice the nasty couch and crack house like linoleum floor? Where does this person live? lol :p

RANT/
Before making comments about the couch and floor, perhaps one should actually go and read the ENTIRE posting by the original poster, NOT the abbreviated MacRumors version...

for you lazy people here's (http://mactalk.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=28926) the link again
/RANT

SeaFox
Mar 12, 2007, 09:35 PM
Before making comments about the couch and floor, perhaps one should actually go and read the ENTIRE posting by the original poster, NOT the abbreviated MacRumors version...

So he has linoleum installed on his porch?

Snide
Mar 12, 2007, 09:44 PM
So he has linoleum installed on his porch?

Yeah really....

Let's get to the bottom of this!

SeaFox
Mar 12, 2007, 09:52 PM
Yeah really....
Let's get to the bottom of this!

I don't care that much. :rolleyes: I just think it must look super tacky if this really is an outdoor porch. Maybe an enclosed (window/screened in) one it night work.

CJD2112
Mar 12, 2007, 09:52 PM
RANT/

for you lazy people here's (http://mactalk.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=28926) the link again
/RANT

Simmer down, fruit cake, it was a JOKE. :D

SeaFox
Mar 12, 2007, 10:09 PM
Simmer down, fruit cake, it was a JOKE. :D

When he gets his new Macbook, Apple can have these guys (http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech//joyimages/502.gif) deliver it. :D ;)

chimerical
Mar 12, 2007, 10:37 PM
I picked it up and blew on it and swung it around to put the flames out.

How do we properly put a fire out anyway? (Does this count as an electrical fire? Chemical?) I figured that choking the fire with a rug would be more appropriate and effective.

MrCrowbar
Mar 12, 2007, 10:40 PM
I have a brand new macbook pro, and at one point the battery displayed an X... should I be worried?

that X means you don't have a battery installed. Try removing th battery and putting it it again. If it still says "x" and everything goes off if you pull out the power plug, either the battery is dead or you got some other problem.

I got my Macbook battery replaced too this week. it's from the first bulk of gen 1 black Macbooks. only 80 cycles and under 30% battery, power was gone, and above 90%, the battery switched between draining and charging every 2 seconds. NOw they gave me a new one.

NAG
Mar 13, 2007, 12:46 AM
that X means you don't have a battery installed. Try removing th battery and putting it it again. If it still says "x" and everything goes off if you pull out the power plug, either the battery is dead or you got some other problem.

I got my Macbook battery replaced too this week. it's from the first bulk of gen 1 black Macbooks. only 80 cycles and under 30% battery, power was gone, and above 90%, the battery switched between draining and charging every 2 seconds. NOw they gave me a new one.
Yeah my macbook battery just up and died this week too. If you read the Apple macbook battery support forum every other thread is about the battery dying and having to be replaced. Either they all suck or Apple's latest firmware update messed up all our batteries.

Willis
Mar 13, 2007, 02:10 AM
Update: Apples service has been fantastic. They are replacing the laptop with a aluminium case macbook pro and will probably compensate for property damage where appropriate. Someone is coming to my house tonight to collect the damaged unit. That way they can quickly assess what has happend and take appropriate action. To initiate a recall, they first need to know what caused the incident.

I have to say, I am really please with the way this issue has been dealt with. Kudos to the Australian Apple team, they have made me feel like a properly cared for customer - a rare thing for big corporations these days.

Well hes getting a good deal out of Apple to be honest. Also, He said he bought his MB at the end of June 2006. So it will be a Core Duo.

My C2D MB has displayed an X once or twice when I wake it from sleep but it usually changes itself after 10 seconds or so.

Either way, I do feel concerned with this... amazing what one thing can do.

808switcher
Mar 13, 2007, 02:29 AM
I'm doing my cisco class on a MBP in windoze-Course CD only has .exe's,

I clicked on the battery gauge details:

It shows Sony LION ASMB012. So either windoze just don't knoze or my late model MBP 15" Core 2 Duo has a LION.

I will post screenshot if someone can tell me key combo for such.

Evangelion
Mar 13, 2007, 02:35 AM
Well hes getting a good deal out of Apple to be honest.

Yeah, for almost burning his house down, they are giving him a better-specced laptop. You know, that sounds like a really good deal...

biturbomunkie
Mar 13, 2007, 02:36 AM
this is scary... i charge my laptop every night on the nightstand... right next to my head... :eek:

Bob Knob
Mar 13, 2007, 03:01 AM

In saying this they could not confirm if it was indeed the battery that was causing the marks and have said that should any marks reappear with the new battery then further investigation would be required.

Credit to the support team for a very quick response.

Before putting in the new battery unplug your computer, use a good quality contact cleaner to clean the battery contact points on the computer. Do not spay the cleaner onto the contacts, spray it onto a q-tip. Do not do this to the contacts on the battery. Make sure everything is completely dry before powering up or putting the battery in. If you don't have contact cleaner you can use a high percentage rubbing alcohol, do not use Hydrogen Peroxide.

oilster
Mar 13, 2007, 05:05 AM
in general: degree work without backup is outright crazy...
external hard drives are not that expensive anymore

anim8or
Mar 13, 2007, 05:25 AM
in general: degree work without backup is outright crazy...
external hard drives are not that expensive anymore

Yawn....

Read on and you will see that i do back up, after everyday almost. I am not stupid you know!

This thread is for macbook fire and related issues... lets get back to the point already!

anim8or
Mar 13, 2007, 05:32 AM
But your other sigs have said you have a wealth of other computers. It is why I keep my iMac. If the MacBook dies, at least I have something from which to work.

The other computers are what i have owned not what i do own.....

The imac is no longer in my possesion and the ibook now belongs to my girlfriend... not that it could handle any of the work i am doing anyway hence the reason i upgraded!

Not everyone can afford to have multiple computers, especially students in their final year of college.

PS for all of those waiting to have a go too... i have applecare, do look after my laptop (its my pride and joy), im not a PC switcher, this is not my first mac, i love apple and am not just having a go at them and do backup regularly......

ground15
Mar 13, 2007, 06:16 AM
I had the same problem with the battery of my MacBookPro 17" bought in May 2006, the battery health was from the beggining on never 100% (displayed by iStatPro) and suddenly it began to decrese rapidly in January until one day i found my laptop mas not standing flat on the desk, I turned it and saw a 1cm higher curvature on the battery as if it was going to explode, took the battery out and called Apple.

They picked up the battery and sent my a replacement battery in 2 days.... They asked me iof I wanted to have my laptop checked also (but I said no) since it works ok and with the replacement battery I have 100% health.

What I must say is that during the period from MAY 2006 to JANUARY 2007 , I did had some unexpected SHUT-OFFs from my computer while using only battery power. (I thought it was because a bug in the system) but I know now it was the battery. So if you are experiencing this! Talk to Apple and force them to switch your battery too.

Christian

Apple has historically used Li-Ion batteries in its iBook and PowerBook laptops, but has opted for Lithium Polymer batteries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer) (Li-Poly) in its MacBook and MacBook Pro computers. One of the supposed advantages of Li-Poly batteries is reduced combustibility.

While the incident is certainly disturbing, it is unknown how widespread the issue is. Currently, there are no safety recalls affecting the MacBook or MacBook Pro, and Apple has yet to respond to the incident.

aswitcher
Mar 13, 2007, 06:33 AM

Thats the dogs couch outside on his verandah. I guess he didn't want to put the charred MacBook inside the house for obvious reasons.

I hear he was to get a MacBook Pro as a replacement tonight directly from Apple as well as consideration for the damage done. Good to see Apple Australia stepping up quickly to this sort of thing.

hayesk
Mar 13, 2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah, for almost burning his house down, they are giving him a better-specced laptop. You know, that sounds like a really good deal...

The key word there is almost. No, they don't owe more than what it damaged. They owe him a laptop equivalent to what he had and compensation for his bookshelf and a few magazines.

When did society start to believe that a small inconvenience means that party responsible should set you up for life? I blame TV-advertising lawyers: "You slipped in the mall and had a sore ankle for a week? That mall should PAY! PAY! PAY!"

stagi
Mar 13, 2007, 10:04 AM

I just went to power up my macbook pro this morning and noticed it was a little lopsided on the desk, turned it over and the battery is warped similar to this image but not as severe. Looks like I will be heading over to the apple store today to see what they can do :mad:

morespce54
Mar 13, 2007, 10:16 AM
yikes! Luxcky he wasnt using it at the time!!!!

p.s how do these things happen??? Do they just go pop or does it happen gradually?

!

yes. even if it's only happens once in a while, it's still scary...
I'm leaving my book on the "sleep mode" all day long at home... when I'm at work... I think I'll change that habit... :confused:

shamino
Mar 13, 2007, 11:00 AM
And nobody at your entire university has a computer? There is no computer anywhere at the school that you could transfer your documents to, in order to keep working?

This smells very fishy to me. If it's true, then you're obviously using software that nobody else at the school supports. Perhaps you love your Mac so much that you're refusing to use the university-standard software (which may be PC or UNIX-based), which, while possibly enjoyable, leaves you wide open to your current situation - where a failure of your personal computer can destroy your ability to graduate.

Or perhaps there are other computers, and you just don't want to use them, because that would mean working from a studio instead of from home?
Have since contacted apple they are sending me a new battery and asked me to dispose of the old...
So when you first wrote that you were refusing to deal with your problem, out of fear of losing the computer, you in fact hadn't actually bothered to find out if you would end up losing it at all.

And the grand answer is that Apple is going to fix your problem without making you return it at all.
I'm sorry but there is more evidence in the last year of faulty batteries then a rash of fridge, stove, microwaves buring down people's homes.
Well, more incidents that get reported on MacRumors.

Every year, there are plenty of house fires caused by toasters, space heaters, and other electric appliances. But they don't make headline news unless the manufacturer issues a recall.
The brand/model doesn't matter. If something is actually critical, then you need to have a backup for it. This means hardware as well as software. If you don't have a standby system available, then you're going to be royally screwed when it breaks. It doesn't matter if you're talking about a multinational bank or the laptop containing your PhD thesis, the principle is the same either way.

In this case, we're talking about a Mac laptop. IBM systems also fail. So do Sun servers and industrial mainframes. Eventually, even your Thinkpad will fail.

andrewface
Mar 13, 2007, 11:38 AM

exactly...
ps dont leave you macbook on your couch

Leoff
Mar 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
Are you not reading about the bulging, exploding, batteries? My power cord on my Titanium was too hot to touch (replaced it) but this is clearly something else.

Are YOU not reading that he was talking about a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro or earlier PowerBook?

scrambledwonder
Mar 13, 2007, 12:44 PM

Call me skeptical, but:

A) That's not the battery. It's next to the battery. I've seen the explosion photos and they don't generally explode in that direction. I could be wrong, but based on the picture, and not seeing the actual laptop, I'd say it's not necessarily battery related.

It's still concerning, but not as concerning as sensationalistic journalism riding the recall battery backlash.

Yes, this is highly suspect. And nobody seemed to notice that, from those pictures, it appears that the Macbook owner lives in total frat-boy squalor. Could it be that this dude had a gummy bear or something lodged near the power connector? Perhaps some beer spilled into a vent? I mean, look a the floor of the kitchen (or wherever it is) and the stained and nasty couch cushions that the Macbook is sitting on. I can't believe nobody even called any of this into question. Electronic equipment does not like filth.

fisty
Mar 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
i have a rev A macbook pro....so far had to change battery 2 times

i noticed the building up of the battery and increase of a little bumb

changed for free, while the battery was like that, i just took it away and run my macbook pro only from power duply....

magsafe got really on my nerves during that time lol

mrowl
Mar 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
Yes, this is highly suspect. And nobody seemed to notice that, from those pictures, it appears that the Macbook owner lives in total frat-boy squalor. Could it be that this dude had a gummy bear or something lodged near the power connector? Perhaps some beer spilled into a vent? I mean, look a the floor of the kitchen (or wherever it is) and the stained and nasty couch cushions that the Macbook is sitting on. I can't believe nobody even called any of this into question. Electronic equipment does not like filth.

isn't it cool when you don't read the whole story?

morespce54
Mar 13, 2007, 01:54 PM
The other computers are what i have owned not what i do own.....

The imac is no longer in my possesion and the ibook now belongs to my girlfriend... not that it could handle any of the work i am doing anyway hence the reason i upgraded!

Not everyone can afford to have multiple computers, especially students in their final year of college.

PS for all of those waiting to have a go too... i have applecare, do look after my laptop (its my pride and joy), im not a PC switcher, this is not my first mac, i love apple and am not just having a go at them and do backup regularly......

okay... but do you backup regularly? ;) :D
(Enough alredy)

Avenger23
Mar 13, 2007, 01:55 PM
This makes me wonder after reading the initial thread, if Apple truly has solved the problems with the batteries in the laptops from their vendors. I'm on my 4th battery now in my MBP (I've had it less than 1 year). The first one just quit working and taking a charge. The second battery Apple sent me wound up being on the battery recall sheet when they finally admitted that there were problems with the laptop batteries. My third battery did the same thing as the very first one. Hopefully, I won't have an issue further on down the road.

Mar 13, 2007, 01:59 PM
Question: Were your thoughts/comments like that when we heard of the "Exploding Dell-battery"? Did you say back then that "OK, let's just relax, this is statistically irrelevant. Move along"? For some reason I don't think so. What I think that happened is that you said/thought "More proof that PeeCees suck!" or something like that.

Am I right, or am I right?

No, I am just saying that one case of fire cannot be misinterpreted as a widespread problem. Apple did the recall, period. I am sorry for the guy, and I am sure he will get a new machine...but to say that this is a new recall case is ridiculous so far.

The Dell was, as in the previous Apple case, a general problem identified in a batch of batteries...all concerned companies acknowledged it, end of story.

And yep, PCs suck big time...you know it...even more so with Vista now.

Mar 13, 2007, 02:05 PM
Come back to me again when the "second one" leads to a fire in the middle of the night and results in a lost home and 3 dead children.

The liability payout for that will be more than what Apple makes in a quarter...

Again, I am not talking about individual rights or Apple's liability...so let's not get emotional, please. Of course he must go after the hardware maker and ask for whatever he is entitled to...I am just saying that one case does not equal many.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 13, 2007, 02:09 PM

Call me skeptical, but:

This theory sounds valid at first until you inspect the photo again. The only place where the macbook is destroyed is along the front edge. Even during prolonged use the front of a macbook almost never gets very warm. If you don't rest your palms on it all day it can stay rather cool. If the macbook somehow ignited a magazine, which I can tell you now is very improbable under normal circumstances, it would have to be around the vent area where the bottom case can get very hot under heavy load and prolonged usage.

I'd say this was a case of a bad battery, but nothing to really get bent out of shape over since this is still a rare occurrence. I keep my macbook in sleep mode while plugged in overnight all the time, but I keep it on a cool rigid surface so that it doesn't get hot. It's my understanding that I can leave my computer plugged in all day and night if I wished and expect to have it fully functional. Shaken by this incident I am not.

Unspeaked
Mar 13, 2007, 02:26 PM
Having read this entire thread, there's two things I'm really taking away from it:

1. anim8or needs to learn to start backing up.

2. The person who owned the MacBook that caught fire lives in filth, and that's the most likely cause of this whole mess.

Thank you.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 13, 2007, 02:44 PM
lol..while I agree that the burn victim lives in a sty, I doubt that's the reason for the malfunctioning unit. A filthy couch and a messy linoleum floor aren't really the conditions for flaming laptops.

anim8or
Mar 13, 2007, 02:48 PM
Before putting in the new battery unplug your computer, use a good quality contact cleaner to clean the battery contact points on the computer. Do not spay the cleaner onto the contacts, spray it onto a q-tip. Do not do this to the contacts on the battery. Make sure everything is completely dry before powering up or putting the battery in. If you don't have contact cleaner you can use a high percentage rubbing alcohol, do not use Hydrogen Peroxide.

Any specific reason for doing this?

gothiquegirrl
Mar 13, 2007, 02:54 PM
Having read this entire thread, there's two things I'm really taking away from it:

1. anim8or needs to learn to start backing up.

2. The person who owned the MacBook that caught fire lives in filth, and that's the most likely cause of this whole mess.

Thank you.

lol..while I agree that the burn victim lives in a sty, I doubt that's the reason for the malfunctioning unit. A filthy couch and a messy linoleum floor aren't really the conditions for flaming laptops.

What is wrong with people?? WHY oh WHY can't people READ anymore? YOU guys haven't even Read THIS thread...

<my rant> AGAIN for those who are just NOT GONNA READ THE STORY...THE COUCH IS OUTSIDE FOR THE DOG. ON THE PORCH...YES, SOME PORCHES HAVE CRAPPY FLOORING ON THEM... DOGS ROLL IN DIRT... THAT IS WHAT DOGS DO. THIS IS WHY YOU GIVE INSIDE DOGS BATHS REGULARLY. </rant>

anim8or
Mar 13, 2007, 03:00 PM
And nobody at your entire university has a computer? There is no computer anywhere at the school that you could transfer your documents to, in order to keep working?

This smells very fishy to me. If it's true, then you're obviously using software that nobody else at the school supports. Perhaps you love your Mac so much that you're refusing to use the university-standard software (which may be PC or UNIX-based), which, while possibly enjoyable, leaves you wide open to your current situation - where a failure of your personal computer can destroy your ability to graduate.

Or perhaps there are other computers, and you just don't want to use them, because that would mean working from a studio instead of from home?
So when you first wrote that you were refusing to deal with your problem, out of fear of losing the computer, you in fact hadn't actually bothered to find out if you would end up losing it at all.

And the grand answer is that Apple is going to fix your problem without making you return it at all.
Well, more incidents that get reported on MacRumors.

Every year, there are plenty of house fires caused by toasters, space heaters, and other electric appliances. But they don't make headline news unless the manufacturer issues a recall.
The brand/model doesn't matter. If something is actually critical, then you need to have a backup for it. This means hardware as well as software. If you don't have a standby system available, then you're going to be royally screwed when it breaks. It doesn't matter if you're talking about a multinational bank or the laptop containing your PhD thesis, the principle is the same either way.

In this case, we're talking about a Mac laptop. IBM systems also fail. So do Sun servers and industrial mainframes. Eventually, even your Thinkpad will fail.

I use a mac, (OBVIOUSLY) and my animation course still uses PC they will not budge on getting any macs as the techie only knows PCs.

ITs not a computer animation course its traditional... ie cel, frame stop motion and all that. Each frame is a separate file around 10-20mb for a small image but usually bigger when using multi layered imaging as i do!

I use final cut pro, this doesnt exist on PC as you will know! To transfer to pc would require starting everything i have done since january again on the pcs using premiere which i have no time to do.

There are other departments with macs but at tis time of year they are also under heavy usage by graduating students so no go as their department gets priority.

SO LETS GET EVERYTHING STRAIGHT HERE SHALL WE....

I SIMPLY POSED THE QUESTION OF THE BLACK MARKS TO THE MASSES,

I OBVIOUSLY WASNT CLEAR ENOUGH THAT I DO BACK UP ALMOST EVERYDAY (ALMOST BECAUSE I DONT DO COMPUTER WORK EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE WEEK)

I NEVER REFUSED TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM IN FACT I WROTE THE QUESTION WHILST ON HOLD TO APPLE, I MERELY THOUGHT IT MAY SAVE TIME AND PHONE BILLS TO ASK ANYONE ELSE IF THIS HAD HAPPENED TO THEM.

I EXPLAINED WHY I HADNT REPORTED IT EARLIER AS I THOT IT MAY HAVE BEEN TRANSFER FROM THE NEOPRENE CASE I USED TO USE... YESTERDAY BEING THE ONLY TIME I THOUGHT TO CHCK SINCE STOPPING USING SAID CASE.

IT IS OBVIOUS TO ME THAT THIS FORUM HAS TURNED FROM A PLACE TO SEEK HELP AND/OR ADVICE TO SOMEWHERE THAT GEEKS SEEK TO CHALLENGE ANY NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT APPLE.

SO PERHAPS EVERYBODY SHOULD JUST STOP BLEATING ABOUT MY BACKUP PROCESS AND DISCUSS THE ISSUE AT HAND....

R.R.Mac
Mar 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
i feel quite sorry for the Macbook user. I have an iBook G4 myself and its worked a treat, for five years!

Snowcat
Mar 13, 2007, 03:19 PM
I use a mac, (OBVIOUSLY) and my animation blah blah blah blah blah blah STOP BLEATING ABOUT MY BACKUP PROCESS AND DISCUSS THE ISSUE AT HAND....

Maybe if your time is so incredibly valuable you should stop worrying about if some random guy on the other side of the world thinks you don't back up your work or not and get back to work.

CJD2112
Mar 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
When he gets his new Macbook, Apple can have these guys (http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech//joyimages/502.gif) deliver it. :D ;)

ROFL That's awesome :D

Unspeaked
Mar 13, 2007, 03:53 PM
What is wrong with people?? WHY oh WHY can't people READ anymore? YOU guys haven't even Read THIS thread...

<my rant> AGAIN for those who are just NOT GONNA READ THE STORY...THE COUCH IS OUTSIDE FOR THE DOG. ON THE PORCH...YES, SOME PORCHES HAVE CRAPPY FLOORING ON THEM... DOGS ROLL IN DIRT... THAT IS WHAT DOGS DO. THIS IS WHY YOU GIVE INSIDE DOGS BATHS REGULARLY. </rant>

I was actually being sarcastic, which I thought would be evident by pointing out the very two things that literally dozens of people have repeated over and over that are totally incorrect...

CJD2112
Mar 13, 2007, 03:57 PM

Wow, who would have thought my joke about the couch and linoleum flooring would spark such resentment and anger? I think people are:

a) reading way too much into online banter

b) taking their personal hostilities out on innocent Macrumors members

c) in need of more meds :p

Seriously peeps, perspective goes a long way...

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 13, 2007, 04:00 PM

Yeah, outside for the dog, suuuurrre it is :D

Perfect place to exhibit your burnt macbook. :rolleyes:

SiliconAddict
Mar 13, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'm intrigued as my system also wakes if I closed the lid and flip it in my hands. What did you really need to say or do besides show the geniuses the problem? Why exactly was the logic board replaced, as in what component on it was causing the problems?

Thanks,
-Brian

I'm not sure. My theory was that the sensors that detect motion and park the heads in your hard drive (If you drop the system) were malfunctioning but that was a guess and they never told me if that was or was not the problem. My issues revolved around two things.

-The system waking up when jostled a bit in a bag and as such overheating, and turning off.

-The system not going to sleep when I closed the lid. (In point of fact just before I went into the Apple store I was using a magnet along the right side of the system to put it to sleep manually.)

Krizoitz
Mar 13, 2007, 05:05 PM

If there is a cause then its not spontaneous....

shamino
Mar 13, 2007, 05:58 PM
I use a mac, (OBVIOUSLY) and my animation course still uses PC they will not budge on getting any macs as the techie only knows PCs.

ITs not a computer animation course its traditional... ie cel, frame stop motion and all that. Each frame is a separate file around 10-20mb for a small image but usually bigger when using multi layered imaging as i do!

I use final cut pro, this doesnt exist on PC as you will know! To transfer to pc would require starting everything i have done since january again on the pcs using premiere which i have no time to do.

There are other departments with macs but at tis time of year they are also under heavy usage by graduating students so no go as their department gets priority.
Which is pretty much as I figured.

I still say that you're creating your own problems here.

Using a unique computer system for critical work, when you have no spare hardware, and can't afford any wasted time, is a disaster waiting to happen.

As much as you like your Mac, you really have to consider the bigger picture here. If you only have one Mac, and the delay from a hardware failure can cause you to not graduate, then is it really worth it to not use the university-standard platform? (And yes, I'm aware that it's far too late to change now, so please don't go shouting it at me yet again.)

Legolamb
Mar 13, 2007, 06:42 PM
Are YOU not reading that he was talking about a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro or earlier PowerBook?
Have YOU not read posts (#13, 19, 23, 26, 40, 53, 56, 63, 80, 90, 120, 131, 132, 151, 156, ...) which report having had negative (albeit less dramatic) experiences with possibly heat related issues with the MBP, or who are concerned about the possible impact of these issues on their MBPs :confused: ?

And for all those who don't get anim8tor: For those who don't get anim8or's concerns, this NOT an issue of not backing up. Working with animation programs and/or video requires configuring your machine in ways that wp, gaming, or surfing does not. For those of us who work in these media, simply hopping on to your friend's or university's computer is not really a feasible option, especially in the midst of production.

And for anim8tor: You should be on your animation now, not here at MR:) Get back to work!!!

floatingspirit
Mar 13, 2007, 08:44 PM

Sure they are! Just add gas (or a few of these posts :) )

Evangelion
Mar 14, 2007, 08:00 AM
No, I am just saying that one case of fire cannot be misinterpreted as a widespread problem.

Except if it happens with a PC, right? But now that it happened with a Mac, you suddenly find all kinds of excuses.

scrambledwonder
Mar 14, 2007, 01:35 PM
isn't it cool when you don't read the whole story?

I stand corrected. . . maybe. We haven't seen photos of the rest of this dude's house! Am I supposed to believe that he keeps his porch nasty, but the rest of his house is spotless? I'll believe it when I see it.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 14, 2007, 03:55 PM
Except if it happens with a PC, right? But now that it happened with a Mac, you suddenly find all kinds of excuses.

What would you have Apple do anyway? They can't take action on one case beyond helping out the owner and replacing the unit. That would be pointless, as it would seriously lower the morale of their presently happy macbook owners despite having machines that are in good working order.

notsofatjames
Mar 14, 2007, 05:23 PM
i want to get a macbook ( out of my salary bonus! ) , but things like this put me off. I assume its just a one off occasion?? anyone else got any terror stories for the macbook??

Legolamb
Mar 14, 2007, 06:59 PM
i want to get a macbook ( out of my salary bonus! ) , but things like this put me off. I assume its just a one off occasion?? anyone else got any terror stories for the macbook??

I could count on one hand the number of cases this happens to. Actually it was two hands but that one was holding my flaming Mac:D
Just kidding. The vast majority of us are deliriously happy with our purchase. We just want absolute perfection.

fall3n
Mar 14, 2007, 07:42 PM
Hmm, if I were this guy I'd be pushing for lifetime Apple VIP service for sure. Can you imagine if he wasn't around, he could of lost his whole house because of Apple. Apple should be lucky he's not suing them (as far as we know).

somekool
Mar 15, 2007, 08:50 PM
How can anyone on this forum be fooled and believe these are pictures of a MacBook Pro. Come on guys, check out the Apple Website. This notebook is far from looking like an Apple.

somekool
Mar 15, 2007, 08:53 PM
I really would like to know when this guy bought his MacBook?

is it a recent model?

AdeFowler
Mar 16, 2007, 09:43 AM
How can anyone on this forum be fooled and believe these are pictures of a MacBook Pro. Come on guys, check out the Apple Website. This notebook is far from looking like an Apple.
That's the battery itself; not the notebook.

fall3n
Mar 16, 2007, 12:09 PM
That's the battery itself; not the notebook.

Lol

Diddiyo
Mar 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
I had been using the MacBook while being a passanger in a car, once I had completed my work I decided to shut the computer down. I didn't realise at the time but I closed the lid part way through the shut down process and placed the laptop back in its bag. On arrival to my meeting I pulled the laptop out of the bag which was at finger burning temp, it seemed to be locked in a state of running everything at full speed. It took a further 10 minutes to cool down enough to restart.

that exact thing happened to me also!

princealfie
Mar 20, 2007, 11:15 AM
i feel quite sorry for the Macbook user. I have an iBook G4 myself and its worked a treat, for five years!

I don't feel sorry. I think that there is a lurking conspiracy...

Skylark
Apr 13, 2007, 04:15 AM

I had this EXACT condition a couple of weeks ago. Brought it to my local Apple Store, where they made an ask-no-questions exchange... BUT... Today, the 2-week-old replacement started doing the same thing. Let's see if they give me another replacement when I go in this time. (I'm pretty sure it's the heat. My MacBook Pro 17 gets freakin' HOT!) (btw... I have another battery that's been in use for about a year without a problem.)