PDA

View Full Version : 8-core Mac Pro Hints at Apple UK

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Mar 12, 2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple's UK Store offers a small slip which may indicate that 8-Core Mac Pros are coming soon.

When searching for "Mac" in the UK Apple Store, the listing for the Mac Pro is:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/03/12/8corer_300.png

Mac Pro

Now quad-core or 8-core processing power.
Configure yours today.

Rumors that Apple would incorporate Intel's Quad-core chips into a Mac Pro to produce an 8-core Mac Pro have been ongoing since late last year.

[[ digg this (http://digg.com/apple/8_core_Mac_Pro_Leak_at_Apple_UK) ]]

bossass
Mar 12, 2007, 04:46 PM
8-core? Jolly good!

Especially poignent since I've been waiting for this update for months. My guess is we'll see this tomorrow. Don't really want the 8-core, I just want the low or mid range MP with whatever upgrades may come, or to get the original 2.66 at a discounted price.

Eidorian
Mar 12, 2007, 04:47 PM
That's nice but what about other feature changes? :D

Steven1621
Mar 12, 2007, 04:48 PM
someone's getting a pink slip...

jimsowden
Confirmed, this is still up on the site. Good stuff, the regular Mac Pro just looks like a piece now.

Hodapp
8 core, great... but please tell me they're not still using the same Apple RAMBUS-esque memory that they used in the Rev A. Mac Pro.

studiomusic
Mar 12, 2007, 04:49 PM
Someone's gettin' thrown in the Thames more like!

Mgkwho
Mar 12, 2007, 04:49 PM
I see it! It's true!!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?find=mac+pro&btn.x=0&btn.y=0

NAB? Or sooner?

And does the picture mean no new case redesign just yet?

-=|Mgkwho

Phobophobia
Mar 12, 2007, 04:50 PM
The update could very well happen tomorrow, who knows...

CptnJustc
Mar 12, 2007, 04:51 PM
8 core, great... but please tell me they're not still using the same Apple RAMBUS-esque memory that they used in the Rev A. Mac Pro.

They're actually using a new kind, carved from bricks of intricately cut diamond and kryptonite.

studiomusic
Mar 12, 2007, 04:52 PM
They're actually using a new kind, carved from bricks of intricately cut diamond and kryptonite.

And you need to feed them 10 oz of caviar a day.
PER STICK!

MOM
Mar 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
Premature specification rasies its ugly head once again.

Hodapp

Sweet, that's probably the only way the memory the Mac Pro takes could get more expensive.

RoboCop001
Alright, I'm just curious....

Was this found by accident, or do people go searching in the Apple stores to look for things like this?

Mgkwho
digg it- http://digg.com/apple/8_core_Mac_Pro_Leak_at_Apple_UK

-=|Mgkwho

darwen
Mar 12, 2007, 04:54 PM
£1,699.00 ...how much is that in real money?

:) jk...

But in all seriousness, Is it the same price as the current high end processor?

chibianh
Mar 12, 2007, 04:54 PM
does that mean... 8-core mac pros tomorrow?

OllyW
Mar 12, 2007, 04:56 PM

Er........£1,699.00 :rolleyes:

Mgkwho
Mar 12, 2007, 04:56 PM
Maybe!

I guess the timing would fit. Why else would a slip come at this time?

Does anyone know the history of that g3 or g4 slip Jobs referenced in one of his keynotes?

-=|Mgkwho

timmillwood
Mar 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
8-core macs and Leopard tomorrow?

Mgkwho
Mar 12, 2007, 04:59 PM
8-core macs and Leopard tomorrow?

I personally hope they announce more of Leopard's features before they release it.

-=|Mgkwho

sccrrich
Mar 12, 2007, 05:01 PM
Hi all!
I realize that this is my first post, but I have been trolling Macrumors for years. I'm just curious if I'm the only one who has noticed the wording of the link. If you actually read the words, all it's saying it's quad-core processing. It doesn't say quad-core chips. If you click on the link, it sends you to the Mac Pro page and on the top it says Quad-Core processing. Maybe it's just me, but it seems we all want this so badly, we are grasping at ghosts.:p

P.S. Still waiting for a full lineup update!!:D

Edit:arn I guess I was focusing on the beginning of the sentence, but you're right, it dooes seem as if it were a slip. Apologies

centauratlas
Mar 12, 2007, 05:03 PM
The update could very well happen tomorrow, who knows...

Tomorrow IS Tuesday!

arn
Mar 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
Hi all!
I realize that this is my first post, but I have been trolling Macrumors for years. I'm just curious if I'm the only one who has noticed the wording of the link. If you actually read the words, all it's saying it's quad-core processing. It doesn't say quad-core chips. If you click on the link, it sends you to the Mac Pro page and on the top it says Quad-Core processing. Maybe it's just me, but it seems we all want this so badly, we are grasping at ghosts.:p

It says "quad-core or 8-core". 8 core would require 4 Dual-Core or 2 Quad-Core processors. Neither if which is an option right now.

arn

aranhamo
Mar 12, 2007, 05:05 PM
Hi all!

Uh, it says "8-core processing power"; that's either two quad-cores or 4 dual-cores, either way a change from the current lineup.

immaculate
I checked the Swiss stores (both French and German) and the Italian one and they all have the same text as the UK store. Interestingly, while the details about other products are in the respective national languages (as one would expect), the text in this case is in English and identical to the UK text.

OllyW
Hi all!

Yes, I think you are the only one :)

It definitely says 8-core processing on the search page.

slicedbread
Mar 12, 2007, 05:06 PM

£1699 is the default 2.66Ghz spec with 1GB ram, 250GB Hdd and 7300GT. No idea what the money will get you when the refresh comes till it comes :)

MacUser4_20
Mar 12, 2007, 05:07 PM
WOW! I didn't believe it until I did the search myself..... hmmmmm

Multimedia
Mar 12, 2007, 05:08 PM
Are we all leaving the 8-core January thread now?

Peace
Mar 12, 2007, 05:11 PM
Are we all leaving hte 8-core January thread now?

Well it's March..This would be a good time :p

AlBDamned
Mar 12, 2007, 05:13 PM
Please let this be true and they come out today. I've been persuading my mum to wait for the new Mac Pros for a good few weeks now but she's barely hanging on.

starnox
Mar 12, 2007, 05:14 PM
I work at an APR in the UK and all our suppliers have run out of MacBook's which seems pretty strange. My bets are on an updated MacBook line tomorrow as well.

Coca-Cola
Mar 12, 2007, 05:16 PM
Please let this be true and they come out today. I've been persuading my mum to wait for the new Mac Pros for a good few weeks now but she's barely hanging on.

My mom is currently in a similar holding pattern. She needs Leopard, iLife 07, iWork 07 before she can buy.

Macula
Mar 12, 2007, 05:16 PM

No, but certainly next Tuesday.

immaculate
Mar 12, 2007, 05:17 PM
Just to update - the same text (again in English) is up on the Apple stores in France, Spain, Denmark... but not the US or Australia.

aswitcher
Mar 12, 2007, 05:18 PM
Tuesday 8 Core Mac Pros :) For the same money as the current Xeons.

Heres hoping they give these guys a couple of Gig sticks as well for the same money.

chibianh
Mar 12, 2007, 05:19 PM
i still haven't been able to do anything to max all the cores in my mac pro. guess i'll hold off on upgrading.. ;)

rickdollar
Mar 12, 2007, 05:20 PM
but how much faster and what kind of difference is it really going to make in your daily tasks?

RichP
Mar 12, 2007, 05:22 PM
We are basically guaranteed an update tomorrow then, which is cool. That being said, may be even nicer to just get a sweet deal on a refurb'ed 3.0, I cant imagine maxing all those cores out save some 3D rendering or Final Cuttin!

iJawn108
Mar 12, 2007, 05:22 PM
Good thing I'm allmost out of disposable $ :p I need to wait till for those supposed 80 core processors intels said we'd have in 2008. lol

ppnkg
Mar 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
I work at an APR in the UK and all our suppliers have run out of MacBook's which seems pretty strange. My bets are on an updated MacBook line tomorrow as well.

Or maybe this is apple's response to the other thread about that poor guy's incendiary macbook...:p

Ryan2268
Mar 12, 2007, 05:27 PM
this is awesome! Now I can ditch my PC.

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 05:29 PM
Er........£1,699.00 :rolleyes:

pwned :rolleyes:

Just double £ to get $ in your struggling economy ;)

MartyMoe
Mar 12, 2007, 05:29 PM
Hi all!
I realize that this is my first post, but I have been trolling Macrumors for years.

I think you mean "lurking"... reading and not posting, as opposed to "trolling", where you deliberately provoke people to fire them up and get them to respond. For example, if I said "Aaaaah, who needs 8 cores anyway", I would be trolling and would get squashed like a grape. :D

This is from a former lurker, so we've all been there-- I would say Welcome, but I have only been posting for about a year myself so I don't know if there is some Official Procedure.

(P.S. Welcome!)

queshy
Mar 12, 2007, 05:30 PM
Or maybe this is apple's response to the other thread about that poor guy's incendiary macbook...:p

lmao ...they made it just for him

Ive never seen apple leak anything ...

Ok the rumor is done...when are the 16-core MPs coming??

Allotriophagy
Mar 12, 2007, 05:31 PM
This is just a tease. Tomorrow will see 16 core machines released.

koobcamuk
Mar 12, 2007, 05:34 PM
This is just a tease. Tomorrow will see 16 core machines released.

How fast would they be? Like, seriously? What could we do with one of those? Run a University? MacDonalds? I can't imagine that power. Maybe we could power the world's energy with it... :cool:

kromekat
Mar 12, 2007, 05:34 PM
Lets hope so! - it's about time! :) - would be good to get them in this current tax year too ;)

Adam

BornAgainMac
Mar 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
lmao ...they made it just for him

Ive never seen apple leak anything ...

Ok the rumor is done...when are the 16-core MPs coming??

They leaked the specs for the original Powermac G5 and Steve himself mentioned it at the developer's conference. He even created a joke out of it.

When people saw the specs, it was one of 3 things:
1) Too good to be true. It must be a typo.
2) It's true
3) This is excellent marketing by Apple

:)

appleguy
Mar 12, 2007, 05:36 PM
on the Apple NZ Store site
http://store.apple.com/0800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/nzstore.woa/wa/RSLID?find=Mac+Pro&btn.x=0&btn.y=0

ksz
Mar 12, 2007, 05:36 PM
Looks like the same case design based on the icon. Some will like it and some will not. Personally, I was (am) hoping for some new designs this year.

Anyway, I think it's a typo. Someone probably mistook "quad" for 8.

petej
Mar 12, 2007, 05:38 PM
8 core sounds so dull. Why not Octa-core.

Can't wait for the Hexadeca-Core.

giganten
Just to update - the same text (again in English) is up on the Apple stores in France, Spain, Denmark... but not the US or Australia.

And it is up on the store in sweden, norway too.

AlBDamned
My mom is currently in a similar holding pattern. She needs Leopard, iLife 07, iWork 07 before she can buy.

No need for those last two here thankfully :)

nsjoker
No Leopard tomorrow. They usually have some sort of countdown thing on the front page. Maybe that will show up tomorrow.

On a side note, are there applications out there properly threaded to take advantage of 8 cores??

Lord Nerdos
Mar 12, 2007, 05:39 PM
Finally some real news to get stuck into. It looks like my fears were correct, the 8-core option is likely expensive. I was hoping they would just update to 8-core across the board. Unfortunately, like the rest of the world, Apple doesn't exist just to please me!;)
Well Apple Japan still haven't returned my money from my cancelled mac pro quad... They said 5 days but it has been two weeks:mad: I hope they haven't sent it to someone else by mistake:eek:
Anyway... my money will be on its way back to you Apple very soon! Plus I get a free ipod nano at the Japan Edu store (with mail in rebate).
"Happy days are here again...":D
Oh, as long as Seaburg and his friend Stoakley are lurking around on the motherboard.
Now to convince my wife that I need the super expensive 8-core:o
It's Tuesday in Japan!!!

Pressure
Mar 12, 2007, 05:40 PM
Mmm, that tax return suddenly seems to come at a good time...

Although I will wait for Leopard and the new version of Final Cut before jumping on the boat :)

sam10685
Mar 12, 2007, 05:40 PM
i think this is the birth of A.I.

Peace
Mar 12, 2007, 05:41 PM
http://store.apple.com/0800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/nzstore.woa/wa/RSLID?find=Mac+Pro&btn.x=0&btn.y=0

Not only that it calls it a Mac Pro PPC G5

I think Apple is having a breakdown.

thats the old PPC Powermac

aswitcher
Mar 12, 2007, 05:42 PM

PowerPC G5...

CrouchingDonkey
Mar 12, 2007, 05:43 PM
I just did the same search on the Apple Store, Hong Kong site. Seems we've switched back to PowerPC here!

AlBDamned
Mar 12, 2007, 05:45 PM
PowerPC G5...

It does indeed say Mac Pros with Power PC G5's....

Maybe Apple's website server has been hacked ;)

Edit: says the same on the Oz store too.

appleguy
Mar 12, 2007, 05:46 PM
Not only that it calls it a Mac Pro PPC G5

I think Apple is having a breakdown.

thats the old PPC Powermac

yet if you still click on it, it takes you to the Mac Pro product page

MacRumorUser
Mar 12, 2007, 05:46 PM
Says the same on the Irish store too.

LOL!!

appleguy
Mar 12, 2007, 05:47 PM

Or maybe it has both G5's and Xeon :lol:

spriter
We are basically guaranteed an update tomorrow then, which is cool.

PowerBook G5 tomorrow :eek:

At last :D

Rocketman
This will kill the 8 core coming in January 2007 thread but not the Powerbook G5 threads and posts.

Rocketman

:D

giganten
Mar 12, 2007, 05:49 PM
up on Finland, Spain Apple store.

I think the text is up on all European Apple stores.

4np
I can confirm it is also present in the Dutch store

willybNL
Also the NL (netherlands) store:

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/nlstore.woa/wa/RSLID?find=mac&btn.x=0&btn.y=0

What is very strange is that this is the only hit that is not translated, and if you search for 8-core you will not find it!

---

.Mac
Haal alles uit uw Mac met een .Mac-account. Alles wat u maakt – foto's...

24hrs
Gratis geleverd
Eur 99,00 button_search_addtoorder.gif
MA356_search.jpg Mac Pro
Now quad-core or 8-core processing power. Configure yours today.

24hrs
Gratis geleverd
Eur 2.499,00 button_search_select.gif
MA407_search.jpg Apple lichtnetadapter (110 W) voor Mac...
Een extra adapter voor thuis of op het werk komt altijd van pas. Deze...

1 - 2 weken
Eur 55,00

---

mangis
Mar 12, 2007, 05:50 PM
It seems fishy to me. . . the GHz speeds haven't changed at all. I'm looking for some sort of speed bump there as well, not just an additional processor, which of course, I welcome.

Looking for 3.0 to be the middle machine. It has been years since Steve promised 3.0. Although it is the high end now, I want it cheaper.

psychofreak
Mar 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
PowerBook G5 tomorrow :eek:

At last :D
F U...that's right, I went there...

jonharris200
Mar 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
My, my, how excitable we all are tonight.

CTYankee
Mar 12, 2007, 05:54 PM
p-lease let this be true. Since I started shooting weddings I can't stand converting, batchings and processing ~1000 RAW files at a time on my Dual 867 G4!

EagerDragon
Mar 12, 2007, 05:56 PM
I see it! It's true!!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?find=mac+pro&btn.x=0&btn.y=0

NAB? Or sooner?

-=|Mgkwho

Interesting, it does show 8 cores in the search windows but if you click on it it shows you the normal quad core.

illustratorDavi
Mar 12, 2007, 05:58 PM
But why buy a new Mac pro tomorrow if it doesn't have Leopard installed ?

I wouldn't be surprised if macpro 8 core came tomorrow - its a tuesday and we haven't seen anything new for ages. But it has to have a Leopard deal attached - i like the idea of the countdown starting tomorrow.

Pressure
Mar 12, 2007, 06:01 PM
It seems fishy to me. . . the GHz speeds haven't changed at all. I'm looking for some sort of speed bump there as well, not just an additional processor, which of course, I welcome.

Looking for 3.0 to be the middle machine. It has been years since Steve promised 3.0. Although it is the high end now, I want it cheaper.

Intel hasn't released anything faster than a 3.0Ghz Xeon processor at this time, so connect your legs firmly to the ground instead of flying up in the skies ;)

Rocketman
Mar 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
But why buy a new Mac pro tomorrow if it doesn't have Leopard installed ?.

Tiger is 2x, 4x, 8x multi-core aware and is stable now.

Rocketman

LoganT
Mar 12, 2007, 06:04 PM
Someting similar happened with the Powermac G5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMHrFqeMgTc

j_maddison
Mar 12, 2007, 06:09 PM

In monopoly money its roughly $3,277 :p , but then you have to to remember Apple have to factor in the added cost for the privilage of living in Britain. So in the good old liberated USofA its $2499 :D

Basically its the cost of the standard config of a mac pro, as has previously been stated in this thread.

jay

AlBDamned
Mar 12, 2007, 06:09 PM

IIRC, the 3Ghz will still be the fastest, as the Quad core chips (eight-core models) only go up to 2.66Ghz? I also remember reading that the new chips would be cheaper but that could be wrong.

Xyl
Mar 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
Oh my!

It's updating now! :eek:

RichyHo
Mar 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
UK store down for updates

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore

...zut! And I WAS on my way to bed :-/

psychofreak
Mar 12, 2007, 06:11 PM

My heart is racing...

appleguy
Mar 12, 2007, 06:12 PM

more like down for fixing the bulls up

twoodcc
Mar 12, 2007, 06:13 PM

i think it's happening tomorrow!

JeffDM
Mar 12, 2007, 06:13 PM

I don't see anything that's going to change. It's not an Apple standard, it's an Intel one. It is the only type of memory Intel is currently using for their workstations. The prices of third party modules did seem to settle down a little bit so it's not much more expensive than regular ECC DIMMs.

but how much faster and what kind of difference is it really going to make in your daily tasks?

That depends on what your daily tasks are. If you aren't using pro apps, you probably can't max out a quad. Supposedly Photoshop CS3 can benefit from an 8-core but that's for some pretty intensive tasks. I hope Final Cut Studio will be better optimized for more cores.

Because the new chips aren't clocked any faster? I can see maybe the middle one being 3.0GHz quad where the fastest one would be a 2.66GHz 8-core.

Shaduu
Mar 12, 2007, 06:15 PM
I have no idea why I'm excited about a product I'm never going to buy, but this is as good as it gets. C'mon Apple, give us Leopard too!

mclihah2
Mar 12, 2007, 06:15 PM

My wife won't let me stay awake!

pilotError
Mar 12, 2007, 06:16 PM
Just clicked on the link in the first page (about 5 posts down) and the store had the "Updating the Store. Be Back Soon" page up.

Ooops...

willybNL
Mar 12, 2007, 06:17 PM
The NL store is now in mode....http://images.apple.com/r/store/backsoon/title_backsoon1.gif

Bobthemonkey
Mar 12, 2007, 06:18 PM
All of the Euro stores are down.

Maybe the updates are automatic and someone ballsed up the time, prehaps due to the recent change in US DST hours. Octo-core out tomorrow, shipping at NAB, with free upgrade to 10.5 in 30 days time, with a special event at shipping(again NAB) revealing the special features and highlighting the Octo-power. Pro announcement at a pro event, especially if some of the hidden features are targeted towards efficiency and compatibility (?FS-the new file system) rather than eye-candy.

nitynate
Mar 12, 2007, 06:18 PM
My heart is racing...
Calm down.

It's a computer. :p

twoodcc
Mar 12, 2007, 06:20 PM
Calm down.

no...........it's an Apple

EagerDragon
How fast would they be? Like, seriously? What could we do with one of those? Run a University? MacDonalds? I can't imagine that power. Maybe we could power the world's energy with it... :cool:

Each core is probably around 2.66 Mgz, if you run one program and that program does not do multitasking then 7 cores will be sitting down to play dominos. So it makes not much difference if you have 1 core or 8. Same speed.
While the other 7 cores will take care of other OS stuff going on, you will probably see them at around 5 to 10 percent used.

If on the other hand you have maxively paralel programs, you may want one with 64 cores as each will be busy with 1 or more tasks.

koobcamuk
I have no idea why I'm excited about a product I'm never going to buy, but this is as good as it gets. C'mon Apple, give us Leopard too!

Leopard is months away. Calm down mate. We are still on 10.4.8 and leopard is not at all finished (I know it isn't).

seashellz2
and wheres 10.4.9 already?

twoodcc
Mar 12, 2007, 06:22 PM
and wheres 10.4.9 already?

for real

psychofreak
Calm down.

A computer that has so far warranted about 100 responses about a possible-maybe-could-would-should be leak...

giganten
All of the Euro stores are down.

Maybe the updates are automatic and someone ballsed up the time, prehaps due to the recent change in US DST hours. Octo-core out tomorrow, shipping at NAB, with free upgrade to 10.5 in 30 days time, with a special event at shipping(again NAB) revealing the special features and highlighting the Octo-power. Pro announcement at a pro event, especially if some of the hidden features are targeted towards efficiency and compatibility (?FS-the new file system) rather than eye-candy.

That would be cool.

Markleshark
20 past 11 at night? Maintenance (Prolly to fix that problem) move along folks, nothing to see here...

nitynate
Mar 12, 2007, 06:23 PM
A computer that has so far warranted about 100 responses about a possible-maybe-could-would-should be leak...Shhhh!

Gah!
I have tremors. :D :D :D

Updating........ :D

psychofreak
Mar 12, 2007, 06:23 PM
Each core is probably around 2.66 Mgz

GHz

twoodcc
Mar 12, 2007, 06:25 PM
20 past 11 at night? Maintenance (Prolly to fix that problem) move along folks, nothing to see here...

they are probably fixing it, but it still could come tomorrow

Markleshark
Mar 12, 2007, 06:26 PM

Possible. Steve is just writing out a P45 as we speak...

psychofreak
Mar 12, 2007, 06:26 PM

I can't wait to use one...

mtrctyjoe
Mar 12, 2007, 06:27 PM
Doing a litle clean up in Cupertinoville?

How can that stuff get out....

killr_b
Mar 12, 2007, 06:28 PM
Garraaaggg!!

Does anyone remember if the quad core chips are drop-in replacements for the dual cores currently shipping?

My dumbass can't remember or find the thread… sorry

Markleshark
So I wonder why the store doesn't go down for things like that to get up there, but it does to take them away again... hmmm...

j_maddison

You're forgetting that its currently 4:29pm in California at the moment.....

arn
Mar 12, 2007, 06:29 PM
Garraaaggg!!

Does anyone remember if the quad core chips are drop-in replacements for the dual cores currently shipping?

My dumbass can't remember or find the thread… sorry

they are just drop in replacements

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/11/15/8-core-clovertown-mac-pro-benchmarks/

Donnacha
Mar 12, 2007, 06:29 PM
OK... SO... 8-core gets released tomorrow, the rush of pent-up demands sees a big wave of purchases, the machines get shipped with Tiger.

Then, 30 days later, when that first wave of buyers can no longer threaten to return their Tiger-loaded machines, Leopard gets released and they all have to pay to upgrade - all for the privilege of being the first kid on the block with 8 cores.

C'mon, we all knew this was how it was going to play out - new hardware and a new, must-have OS never get released within the same 30 days.

Personally, I'm hanging on for the software.

killr_b
Mar 12, 2007, 06:31 PM
they are just drop in replacements

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/11/15/8-core-clovertown-mac-pro-benchmarks/

I love you. :)

DMann
Mar 12, 2007, 06:32 PM
I see it! It's true!!

NAB? Or sooner?

-=|Mgkwho

This year will be an 'insanely great' one, for sure :)

Markleshark
Mar 12, 2007, 06:32 PM
You're forgetting that its currently 4:29pm in California at the moment.....

And? Because of course everything runs out of California. That would be silly. Decisions are made in California, things in Europe happen in Europe. You think its a good time of the day (or night, even) to release a new product? Near enough the middle of the night in most of Europe right now, great time to get people looking and buying...

Peace
Mar 12, 2007, 06:35 PM

Could also be because the :apple: TV is now shipping.

willybNL
Mar 12, 2007, 06:37 PM
I just bed it has to do with http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2102526,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Put 2 in... and it runs...

Donnacha
So I wonder why the store doesn't go down for things like that to get up there, but it does to take them away again... hmmm...
It's called panic: the apple UK site got more sites in the past hour than it usually gets in a month. The internal search engine just used more than it usually does in a year.

Somewhere, an alarm went off and a bunch of Apple employees, who thought they were about to whizz home on their Segways to the warm embrace of their Tivos, now have to spend all night figuring out what's happening and hoping they're not the ones who will get fired for this.

Hodapp
Who cares about what operating system it ships with? If you've got $3000+ for a decently geared out 8-core Mac Pro, I think you can scrounge up the ~$150 to upgrade when they release OS X 10.5.

Donnacha
Mar 12, 2007, 06:39 PM
And? Because of course everything runs out of California. That would be silly. Decisions are made in California, things in Europe happen in Europe. You think its a good time of the day (or night, even) to release a new product? Near enough the middle of the night in most of Europe right now, great time to get people looking and buying...
That's not how American corporations work, especially not Apple; Cupertino tightly controls everything, it always has.

willybNL
Mar 12, 2007, 06:40 PM
Leopard gets released and they all have to pay to upgrade - all for the privilege of being the first kid on the block with 8 cores.

We should all make some big open-letter to Steve: we want 10.5 for free if you orderd something with an intel :P (just to say thank you for the last year and all the trouble you guys had with the MacBetaooks's).

Saves steve a lot of support on 10.4 :P

j_maddison
Mar 12, 2007, 06:41 PM

No I don't, but there is no reason why a website needs to be run from Europe when it can be updated from a central location. it wouldn't surpise me if all of Apple's websites were updated from the USA, but then again they might not be. My point is still valid though, I doubt there is an IT team in the UK that stays awake to do website updates in the middle of the night.

psychofreak
Could also be because the :apple: TV is now shipping.

Yeah, but that's not as cool...

From Win to Mac
Did anyone find the same thing for the Macbook Pro ???

gugy
Mar 12, 2007, 06:45 PM
so, if it is coming tomorrow, then the case will not be redesign. interesting. I was pretty sure this new Octo would sport a new redesign case.
Apple will have a special event for that, so unless this is just a mistake from Apple or maybe a marketing ploy to keep folks excite until NAB.
Well,we'll see less than 24 hours to find out.

Markleshark
Mar 12, 2007, 06:46 PM
No I don't, but there is no reason why a website needs to be run from Europe when it can be updated from a central location. it wouldn't surpise me if all of Apple's websites were updated from the USA, but then again they might not be. My point is still valid though, I doubt there is an IT team in the UK that stays awake to do website updates in the middle of the night.

Try not to be an arse next time mr brave guy sitting behind a computer screen :p

Why would a team doing Routine Maintenance somewhere in Europe (I never said the UK), in the middle of the night surprise you? It's the middle of the night, traffic is low, best time, surely?

As for your theory, History tells us Europe updates happen between 12pm and 3pm GMT. I am of course always open to being proved wrong. If we get new MacPros now I will bare my arse, it's the middle of the night.

psychofreak
Mar 12, 2007, 06:48 PM

Try not to be an arse next time mr brave guy sitting behind a computer screen :p

They updated it to include the mistake...there must be someone...

-Alan-
Mar 12, 2007, 06:50 PM
so, if it is coming tomorrow, then the case will not be redesign. interesting. I was pretty sure this new Octo would sport a new redesign case.
Apple will have a special event for that, so unless this is just a mistake from Apple or maybe a marketing ploy to keep folks excite until NAB.
Well,we'll see less than 24 hours to find out.

Personally, if Apple does any changes to the box I hope they offer the same style but in black.

Tom B.
UK Store is down!!! :D

"We are busy updating the store for you and will be back shortly"

I'm really sorry if this has been said already :o

Donnacha
Who cares about what operating system it ships with? If you've got $3000+ for a decently geared out 8-core Mac Pro, I think you can scrounge up the ~$150 to upgrade when they release OS X 10.5.
OS X + iLife = $200 and there's no guarantee that the price won't go up for the next versions.

Also worth considering the time you'll waste upgrading your OS and software - sure, not a big deal but it's a few hours you'll never get back and, who knows, you might encounter some unexpected glitch causing you stress, frustration and further wasted time. It might just be a hold-over from my Windows days but I have a deep-rooted mistrust of OS upgrades.

Unless you need a computer RIGHT NOW, I say wait 30 days, let them deal with any initial hardware kinks, let the supply chain sort itself out and hop onboard when you the bundled Leopard and iLife '07 will save you almost 10% of the overall cost. The early adopters will probably have to wait a week or so for delivery anyway.

Peace
Mar 12, 2007, 06:51 PM

Losing their job..

AlBDamned
Mar 12, 2007, 06:51 PM
The NL store is now in mode....http://images.apple.com/r/store/backsoon/title_backsoon1.gif

Maybe they've realised the mess and they've pulled it down to repair and withdraw the mistake.

Hope not! :)

JeffDM
Mar 12, 2007, 06:53 PM

I wouldn't mind this. I had a few apps that had trouble with Tiger when it was first released, so I'd use the older OS until the problems are settled.

aLoC
Mar 12, 2007, 06:53 PM
I hope it also uses different memory. The stuff it currently uses is a crazy design.

AlBDamned
Mar 12, 2007, 06:54 PM

Why were you pretty sure? The stuff about a new case was just rumors :p ;)

BenRoethig
Mar 12, 2007, 06:56 PM
someone's getting a pink slip...

Or as the Brits would say, getting sacked.

monke
Mar 12, 2007, 06:57 PM
Oooooo 8 cores. :)

Wonder how fast this baby will run?

Markleshark
Mar 12, 2007, 06:57 PM

Aye, getting the old Spanish Archer...

El-Bow.

;)

saxondale.
Mar 12, 2007, 06:58 PM
i really cant see many programs being able to utilize this for a while

AppleMan101

or getting a P45...

Allotriophagy
Hi everyone.

I work for Apple but I am so senior that I will not get in trouble for posting this.

And Apple loves the MR community, so it is all good!

Here's the 411, dudes! We are about to release the following updated products:

1) 16 and 8 core Mac Pro machines which can use any industry standard graphics cards;

2) MacBooks and MacBook Pros in a whole range of screen sizes with 2 or 4 cores and dedicated 7600 or 7900 graphics;

3) 32" iMac but I will leave the details on this for now - it's going to shock you!

There will be no changes to the Mac Mini.

Love and kisses,

Cindy Apfelhexen
xxx

Cult Follower
Mar 12, 2007, 06:59 PM
I love these slip-ups, they get me excited.

psychofreak
Mar 12, 2007, 06:59 PM
Hi everyone.

I work for Apple but I am so senior that I will not get in trouble for posting this.

And Apple loves the MR community, so it is all good!

Here's the 411, dudes! We are about to release the following updated products:

1) 16 and 8 core Mac Pro machines which can use any industry standard graphics cards;

2) MacBooks and MacBook Pros in a whole range of screen sizes with 2 or 4 cores and dedicated 7600 or 7900 graphics;

3) 32" iMac but I will leave the details on this for now - it's going to shock you!

There will be no changes to the Mac Mini.

Love and kisses,

Cindy Apfelhexen
xxx
And Leopard?

Donnacha
Mar 12, 2007, 07:00 PM
Actually, 8-cores getting released tomorrow makes perfect sense, allows them to clear exactly 30 days before the next big announcement at NAB which, as we know, probably involves FCP which, in turn, we know will only run on Leopard.

Excellent: Leopard by mid-April; you heard it here first :p

CrackedButter
Mar 12, 2007, 07:01 PM
And Leopard?

Yes, what about Leopard, we want to know.

Allotriophagy
Mar 12, 2007, 07:01 PM
And Leopard?

Vapourware.

Cindy
xxx

CrackedButter
Mar 12, 2007, 07:02 PM
Vapourware.

Cindy
xxx

Beautiful...I can go buy Vista now and install it without fear of an impending upgrade.

psychofreak
Vapourware.

Cindy
xxx

Ok...Steve...I know its you! Cindy Apfelhexen my arse...

DaveICT
Most of the European sites are saying be back soon

drichx
Mar 12, 2007, 07:04 PM
When will these updates be released, Apple "senior"?

saxondale.
Mar 12, 2007, 07:05 PM
but not the most important...the US site. I think it could be automated and time differences have messed things up for people in Europe...maybe

Enrico
Mar 12, 2007, 07:05 PM
32" iMac has been the least discussed rumor so far!!!:confused:

Enrico

j_maddison
Mar 12, 2007, 07:07 PM
Why would a team doing Routine Maintenance somewhere in Europe (I never said the UK), in the middle of the night surprise you? It's the middle of the night, traffic is low, best time, surely?

As for your theory, History tells us Europe updates happen between 12pm and 3pm GMT. I am of course always open to being proved wrong. If we get new MacPros now I will bare my arse, it's the middle of the night.

I'll edit my original post, as my last sentence was a little harsh.

I just highly doubt there would be anyone working this time of night, or any time of night in any of the other European time zones, on something like this. This sort of task is generally done in the day during normal working hours. I’m basing this opinion on several years experience of dealing with IT managers in various companies in the UK, ranging from small corporate's to large multi nationals.

We live in times of centralisation, and website administration and maintenance is one of the easiest things to centralise. I can't see how Apple could gain anything by decentralising this aspect of its business. Sure the back end; warehousing, sales, logistics etc etc would run autonomously in each region, but I cant see why a website would.

I too am open to being proven wrong and have no problem with it

Jason

BenRoethig
Mar 12, 2007, 07:07 PM
I hope it also uses different memory. The stuff it currently uses is a crazy design.

Unless Apple has secretly designed its own Xeon motherboard, FB-DIMMs will be here for a while.

What you're probably going to see is the 2.0ghz and 2.33 ghz models released at the same price points as the 2.66 and 3.0ghz quad cores with a new 2.66ghz quad core model at the super high end. I would also expect blu-ray drives as pricey options and possibly additional video card options and a new 18x burner.

mandoman
Mar 12, 2007, 07:08 PM
OS X + iLife = $200 and there's no guarantee that the price won't go up for the next versions.

Also worth considering the time you'll waste upgrading your OS and software - sure, not a big deal but it's a few hours you'll never get back and, who knows, you might encounter some unexpected glitch causing you stress, frustration and further wasted time. It might just be a hold-over from my Windows days but I have a deep-rooted mistrust of OS upgrades.

Unless you need a computer RIGHT NOW, I say wait 30 days, let them deal with any initial hardware kinks, let the supply chain sort itself out and hop onboard when you the bundled Leopard and iLife '07 will save you almost 10% of the overall cost. The early adopters will probably have to wait a week or so for delivery anyway.

You are assuming leopard+ilife07 are coming in 30 days, but it probably won't be here until June...

j_maddison
Mar 12, 2007, 07:10 PM

That doesnt mean they're in the UK.... or Europe for that matter.....

BenRoethig
Mar 12, 2007, 07:10 PM
i really cant see many programs being able to utilize this for a while

Only the really really high end ones. Most of them can't full advantage of the core duo in the Mini.

CrackedButter
Mar 12, 2007, 07:13 PM
Only the really really high end ones. Most of them can't full advantage of the core duo in the Mini.

But if it had a graphics card, that would be a different matter.:p

willybNL
Mar 12, 2007, 07:13 PM
Cindy Apfelhexen...

hhaha... this is nice... for the ones that can understand German this is a real big joke...

translation of Apfelhexen = apple witch

Guess that's enough to not take that message serious :P... Hi Bill :P:P

psychofreak
Mar 12, 2007, 07:15 PM
hhaha... this is nice... for the ones that can understand German this is a real big joke...

translation of Apfelhexen = apple witch

Guess that's enough to not take that message serious :P... Hi Bill :P:P

I think there were less believable things than that...

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 07:16 PM

Or you could have multiple power-guzzling programs open. Requires plenty of memory, of course, but still:
Autodesk Maya
Adobe Photoshop
Apple iTunes
Apple Shake? (Never used it)
Apple Aperture (Again, never used it)
Safari
Handbrake
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe GoLive

Say that all these are going at once, perhaps doing batch processing... well, the more CPUs the better!

letaalio
Mar 12, 2007, 07:17 PM
That doesnt mean they're in the UK.... or Europe for that matter.....
That is true, but there was someone who changed something *only in the European stores*, which means it is not as centralised as some might think.

I am just saying that you could all be right. A thing like a website could easily be accessed from both Europe and USA.

mrkramer
Mar 12, 2007, 07:26 PM

What processors are you switching too for those quad MacBook Pros?

macenforcer
Mar 12, 2007, 07:26 PM
YEAH! Flashback to the G5 leak. That dude got CANNED!

TUESDAY!!! IS TOMORROW!!!!!!

AppleMan101
Mar 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
now 30 mins into tuesday here in the UK...woot.

AlBDamned
Mar 12, 2007, 07:31 PM
You are assuming leopard+ilife07 are coming in 30 days, but it probably won't be here until June...

June isn't "spring" though, is it. Leopard will be here in "the spring".

I think Leopard will be April or May. March is too soon ;)

JeffDM
Mar 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
What processors are you switching too for those quad MacBook Pros?

Right, because they won't exist for many months, if not next year. Maybe some clown notebook maker would use the low-power Kentfield in a desknote, but Apple likely won't use it.

aswitcher
Mar 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
Still down...maybe its soemthing else Europe specific...

zblaxberg
Mar 12, 2007, 07:33 PM
Well they are trying to attack vista on the U.S. site...Unfortunately everything seems alright over here on the U.S. store...not down for construction or anything...Although it could have been a photoshop prank, the UK store is down which is a big surprise because usually the stores are down when apple is doing something big. So far nothing big has happened but hopefully all the stores will be down within the next day and we all get our new Mac Pros!!!

I know my attached pix look photoshoped...cuz they are so I could fit them into one pic...easier to attach...check the site

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore

tyr2
Mar 12, 2007, 07:34 PM
Maybe the iSight finally got RoHS compliant and is making a comeback...

Perhaps not...

failsafe1
Mar 12, 2007, 07:35 PM
The UK store is down is it tomorrow there already? Guess we will find out here on Tuesday.

WildCowboy
June isn't "spring" though, is it.

Up until the 21st it is...at least in the Northern Hemisphere.

mrkramer
Right, because they won't exist for many months, if not next year. Maybe some clown notebook maker would use the low-power Kentfield in a desknote, but Apple likely won't use it.

That would be what I was trying to point out, so hopefully the people who are wanting them will realize that there have been none officially announced.

AppleMan101
Maybe the iSight finally got RoHS compliant and is making a comeback...

Perhaps not...

nah...apple love their lead too much

JeffDM
June isn't "spring" though, is it. Leopard will be here in "the spring".

I think Leopard will be April or May. March is too soon ;)

Summer begins June 21.

macenforcer
Mar 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
ROCKIT BABY!!!

http://208.249.125.30/ebay_images/cpux8.jpg

ro2nie
Mar 12, 2007, 07:40 PM
At last, some fuel for the rumor sites... I was starting to get bored....

whatever
Mar 12, 2007, 07:41 PM
Oops,

normang
Mar 12, 2007, 07:44 PM
Sure its taking a while to fix that oops, the UK Store and others have been posting the we'll be back soon signs for at least an hour.. maybe more.

whatever
Mar 12, 2007, 07:45 PM
Oops, we're all have a laugh over this one. But we just blamed it on the Day Light Savings Time patch (could that be why the US site did say this or could it be another reason).

No, update to the Mac Pro this month (or next month either).

However, you didn't hear it from me.

But that's a strange display on the desk here.....

Is that the ....

ro2nie
Mar 12, 2007, 07:46 PM
ROCKIT BABY!!!

http://208.249.125.30/ebay_images/cpux8.jpg

OH YEAH!!

http://ironnie.co.uk/cpux16.jpg

Zwhaler
Mar 12, 2007, 07:47 PM
My guess is that this shizz is released tomorrow. Hopefully

bdkennedy1
Mar 12, 2007, 07:47 PM
They wouldn't take the whole store down to change a graphic or add an 8 core Mac. If the US store goes down after midnight we'll know something big is happening.

whatever
Mar 12, 2007, 07:50 PM

Duh, you think.

Everyone knows that the flagship US store is always updated first.

Don't hold off your purchases, the 8-core is still two quarters away.

Donnacha
Mar 12, 2007, 07:53 PM
What have I been saying about a mid-April release at NAB?

This news item just hit page 2:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/12/leopard-to-pounce-in-mid-late-april/

June my arse.

When will you people learn to just shut up and LISTEN to THE DONNACHA?

SkyBell
Mar 12, 2007, 07:54 PM
I bet 10.4.9 will be released tomorrow, though,

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 07:55 PM
The data support no conclusions as of yet. The absence of activity in the U.S. suggests that this could be... just an exercise.

Suppose it's not an exercise? Suppose this is the beginning of releasing an 8-core?

Only Apple can speak to that.

AlBDamned
Mar 12, 2007, 07:56 PM
Up until the 21st it is...at least in the Northern Hemisphere.

Fair point. My apologies too, as WWDC is 11th - 15th so I see where he's coming from :o :)

whatever
Mar 12, 2007, 07:56 PM

Actually, like most of the world, everything is based on EST. Accept at Keynotes, most things are release between 10:00AM - 1:00 PM EST.

smythey
Mar 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
The data support no conclusions as of yet. The absence of activity in the U.S. suggests that this could be... just an exercise.

Suppose it's not an exercise? Suppose this is the beginning of releasing an 8-core?

The Hunt for Red October........

Cant sneak that one past me!

macenforcer
Mar 12, 2007, 08:01 PM
WOOT!

8 Core pricing! (http://208.249.125.30/ebay_images/8corepricing.jpg)

Bobthemonkey
Mar 12, 2007, 08:03 PM

I must emphasize the extreme sensitivity of this information and that it not leave the forum.Before sailing, Captain Schiller sent a letter to Admiral Steve Jobs,Chairman of the Apple Red Fleet northern political directorate. Now, the contents of the letter are unknown, but Admiral Jobs immediately demanded a meeting with Premier Chernenko, and within minutes of that meeting,the Apple fleet sailed with orders to find the Octo-Core leaker and sink her.

JeffDM
Mar 12, 2007, 08:09 PM
They wouldn't take the whole store down to change a graphic or add an 8 core Mac. If the US store goes down after midnight we'll know something big is happening.

Apple does take down the store from time to time when they update products. But as you say, it really isn't a certain thing until the US store has it.

Peace
Mar 12, 2007, 08:13 PM
Someone was in the middle of hacking the European stores.Apple stopped it.

Nothing to see here..

Move along.

educated guess of course ;)

Karpfish
Mar 12, 2007, 08:13 PM
Whats apple's policy on updated products? My dad's mac pro just came today, it opened already.

zblaxberg
Mar 12, 2007, 08:14 PM
At last, some fuel for the rumor sites... I was starting to get bored....

yea no offense mac rumors but you guys haven't had anything good the past 2-3 days

Oops, we're all have a laugh over this one. But we just blamed it on the Day Light Savings Time patch (could that be why the US site did say this or could it be another reason).

No, update to the Mac Pro this month (or next month either).

However, you didn't hear it from me.

But that's a strange display on the desk here.....

Is that the ....

haha verry funny but then again my octo mac pro is looking pretty good on my new desk...jkjk

MrCrowbar
Mar 12, 2007, 08:14 PM
OH YEAH!!

http://ironnie.co.uk/cpux16.jpg

Sweet... Wonder if you'll be able to make something out when you have the CPU history in the dock like I like it :)

UK store says "we'll be back soon" so I guess they're still working on it.

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
I must emphasize the extreme sensitivity of this information and that it not leave the forum.Before sailing, Captain Schiller sent a letter to Admiral Steve Jobs,Chairman of the Apple Red Fleet northern political directorate. Now, the contents of the letter are unknown, but Admiral Jobs immediately demanded a meeting with Premier Chernenko, and within minutes of that meeting,the Apple fleet sailed with orders to find the Octo-Core leaker and sink her.

Sink her?

My god they've got a madman/woman on their hands. Within 10 minutes this information reached the internet(s). The actual thing could be released tomorrow.

What if it's another possibility? What if the leaker is trying to defect? Well, s/he has access to the web servers, which would give him/her good opportunity. He/she may be a contractor - may not work for Apple, so Apple might not even be able to sink her. And, tomorrow is Tuesday.

rediffusion
Mar 12, 2007, 08:17 PM
Whats apple's policy on updated products? My dad's mac pro just came today, it opened already.

This isn't much help but always check the recommendations on here (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro) before buying any Apple products

Ryan5191
Mar 12, 2007, 08:19 PM
The Apple U.S. store has removed iLife '06 from their homepage. Major changes to the site indicate something more huge than 8-core Mac Pros. My money is on iLife, and we're very close to Leopard!

Copland
Mar 12, 2007, 08:21 PM
The Apple U.S. store has removed iLife '06 from their homepage. Major changes to the site indicate something more huge than 8-core Mac Pros. My money is on iLife, and we're very close to Leopard!
Still shows up for me:confused:

Bobthemonkey
Mar 12, 2007, 08:22 PM
Sink her?

My god they've got a madman/woman on their hands. Within 10 minutes this information reached the internet(s). The actual thing could be released tomorrow.

What if it's another possibility? What if the leaker is trying to defect? Well, s/he has access to the web servers, which would give him/her good opportunity. He/she may be a contractor - may not work for Apple, so Apple might not even be able to sink her. And, tomorrow is Tuesday.

This could go on all night until we have the entire screenplay in the forum.

Jaunty
Mar 12, 2007, 08:22 PM

and me....

letaalio
Mar 12, 2007, 08:23 PM

What are you talking about? It is still there.

edit: badly beaten.

bdkennedy1
Mar 12, 2007, 08:24 PM
Me too. What major changes? I've had a feeling they would update the 7-year-old looking website with something new this year.

Ryan5191
Mar 12, 2007, 08:24 PM

I have a pic of it...give me 2 minutes

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 08:26 PM
This could go on all night until we have the entire screenplay in the forum.

Sorry. Only I love quoting from movies. Especially Red October recently, as I like it and downloaded it off iTunes. (I had a $50 gift card, spent the first $35 or so on music and another movie, and then waited very very patiently for Red October to be released. I knew it would, as Steve's keynote about Paramount joining had a picture of it!)

But it did liven up the conversation a bit. I was wondering if anyone would catch the reference.

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 08:27 PM

Still shows up for me as well. Right under "iPod Store".

justflie
Mar 12, 2007, 08:28 PM
I think I'm going to go watch that now and constantly hit refresh on this website. The really sad thing is, I'm not even waiting for a Mac Pro.

kildraik
Mar 12, 2007, 08:29 PM
I bet 10.4.9 will be released tomorrow, though,

Don't they releasee finalized version of an OS upon the realease of a new one?

Will

Ryan5191
Mar 12, 2007, 08:30 PM
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/b/bbabcmembership/homepage.JPG

sorry this took so long

zblaxberg
Mar 12, 2007, 08:31 PM

stop tryin to photoshop it...

i wanna see the link...stop tryin to be cool

kildraik
Mar 12, 2007, 08:32 PM
<snip>
sorry this took so long

They shuffle the software section.

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 08:32 PM
I think I'm going to go watch that now and constantly hit refresh on this website. The really sad thing is, I'm not even waiting for a Mac Pro.

Me neither. Don't have the money. Though I do have a 30" monitor which would probably love to have one driving it. Sadly, it is stuck with my MacBook Pro. (Though that is brand new. My old one had serious problems, and after a ton of hassle (read: three and a half months) Apple finally replaced it.)

Don't they releasee finalized version of an OS upon the realease of a new one?

Will

They did last time. But they've also created new releases for new products. Didn't the Mac Mini or other such computer require a newer version to function? Or perhaps it was the original Mac Pros?

So, 10.4.9 could be an update for new Mac Pros, and then we'd have to wait even longer for 10.4.10.

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 08:33 PM
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/b/bbabcmembership/homepage.JPG

sorry this took so long

Are you logged in as a business, or school, or something like that? Because server software is usually not on the home page, I thought.

AlBDamned
Mar 12, 2007, 08:33 PM
WOOT!

8 Core pricing! (http://208.249.125.30/ebay_images/8corepricing.jpg)

Is that real?!

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
Are you logged in as a business, or school, or something like that? Because server software is usually not on the home page, I thought.

I just verified it. It is from the business store. Go to "find custom solutions to fit your business" on the right hand side.

4God
Mar 12, 2007, 08:37 PM
The OSX Tiger box looks a little different to me now. At least on the U.S. Store homepage.
I swear it used to look like the Aperture box right next to it.

zblaxberg
I just verified it. It is from the business store. Go to "find custom solutions to fit your business" on the right hand side.

both ilife and iwork 06 were on there when i searched under business...someone wants some attention...not cool

Karpfish
Is that real?!

It says enjot quad core, so no.

GoCubsGo
Well this is great news but someone in the UK is getting fired.

Ryan5191
Mar 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
I forgot to save the source or get an image of the link but i can assure that that is not photoshopped (i know because I suck at photoshopping).

zblaxberg
Mar 12, 2007, 08:39 PM
I forgot to save the source or get an image of the link but i can assure that that is not photoshopped (i know because I suck at photoshopping).

read what everyone else said...we found out it's the business page...don't get too excited cuz ilife and iwork are still there

kildraik
There are no prices on any items under the business store.... WTF?!?

aswitcher
How long has the UK store been down now? Seems like 1.5hrs+

bokdol
Mar 12, 2007, 08:40 PM
Didn't the Mac Mini or other such computer require a newer version to function? Or perhaps it was the original Mac Pros?

So, 10.4.9 could be an update for new Mac Pros, and then we'd have to wait even longer for 10.4.10.

when they switched to core 2 duo on the macbooks the os was 10.4.8
you could not use the core duo 10.4.6 to reformat them.(i tried)
would not work. so that might be the reason for the 10.4.9

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 08:41 PM

Your picture of the Apple store can be seen by anyone (at least me) by simply going to Apple's store and navigating to "Find custom solutions to fit your business."

My screen there looks exactly like your screenshot. However, when I go back to home, iLife is still there. (In your screenshot, iWork happens to be there still, as it is also on my screen)

ppnkg
Mar 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
for a minor correction, the update of the store takes way too long... Let's see. After all it's Tuesday today...

CoreWeb
Mar 12, 2007, 08:42 PM

I don't know. Always been that way, I think. Same with the Educational store.

iMikeT
Mar 12, 2007, 08:43 PM
It has been a while since an update. I hope Apple updates everything else as well.

Peace
Mar 12, 2007, 08:43 PM
Man you people are suckers for anything..

This is funny..:D

bretm
Mar 12, 2007, 08:44 PM

So who's the moron that thinks the G5 was announced on June 23, 2005? Fix that video already. Try June 2003! Geez. How young does someone need to be to feel like 2005 was a long time ago?

EagerDragon
Mar 12, 2007, 08:45 PM

From where?
I see it here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=86C20573&nplm=MA166Z%2FA

stagi
Mar 12, 2007, 08:48 PM
an 8 core computer does sound pretty sweet but my good old dual g5 still works pretty great and is fast. I am sure these 8 core machines would scream but I can get another year or two out of mine.

iCreate
Mar 12, 2007, 08:49 PM
Or you could have multiple power-guzzling programs open. Requires plenty of memory, of course, but still:
Autodesk Maya
Adobe Photoshop
Apple iTunes
Apple Shake? (Never used it)
Apple Aperture (Again, never used it)
Safari
Handbrake
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe GoLive

Say that all these are going at once, perhaps doing batch processing... well, the more CPUs the better!

Sure, but disk access would seem like it stopped spinning completely.

Multimedia
Mar 12, 2007, 08:50 PM
I guess this means a lot of folks want to buy an 8 core Mac Pro right? ;)Wow. Brilliant observation face. :DYeah I'm a regular Rocket Scientist! :eek:

Nothing like a cover piece to rekindle dormant demand commentary.

bokdol
Mar 12, 2007, 08:50 PM
I guess this means a lot of folks want to buy an 8 core Mac Pro right? ;)

yes

on a side note i am not longer a macrumors regular. i am finally a cpu. woot

macenforcer
Mar 12, 2007, 08:51 PM
I guess this means a lot of folks want to buy an 8 core Mac Pro right? ;)

Wow. Brilliant observation face. :D

CoreWeb
Sure, but disk access would seem like it stopped spinning completely.

Can you not have like 4 or more disks? Although, there is a slight problem with those several disks - I remember reading that Apple only allows output to one disk at a time, so it would still be like one disk only.

And who says they can't write to memory temporarily? Though, those programs probably do not... usually.

EagerDragon

Flexibility, for competitiors it cost more, for friendly media it cost less

TheManOfSilver
Mar 12, 2007, 08:57 PM
I know that this is big news because it seems to be clear confirmation about a widely suspected update to the Mac Pro ... but I'm underwhelmed. I mean, 8-cores sounds really cool ... and usually a web site glitch like this only happens shortly before an actual launch (so we should all expect to see the update tomorrow or next Tuesday I guess) ... but I'd be a lot more excited if software existed that could truly put all 4 (or 8) cores to work in truly parallel fashion. As it is though, I think the necessary software won't be seen for quite some time yet.

mrkramer
Mar 12, 2007, 08:57 PM
for a minor correction, the update of the store takes way too long... Let's see. After all it's Tuesday today...

Could they be keeping it down, to wait until they are officially released on Tuesday here in California? Only five more hours until tuesday here, I hope that they are released, or else we will have lots of threads complaining about it.

AlBDamned
Mar 12, 2007, 09:00 PM
Could they be keeping it down, to wait until they are officially released on Tuesday here in California? Only five more hours until tuesday here, I hope that they are released, or else we will have lots of threads complaining about it.

Would be an expensive few hours to keep it down for so long?

Counter
Mar 12, 2007, 09:08 PM
If Amazon had to shut all their worldwide stores down each time they added a new product they'd loose 3/4 of their entire revenue. LOLZ APPLE. Get your framework sorted so you don't have to down your stores to add products.

kildraik
Mar 12, 2007, 09:10 PM
... but I'd be a lot more excited if software existed that could truly put all 4 (or 8) cores to work in truly parallel fashion. As it is though, I think the necessary software won't be seen for quite some time yet.

10.4.9...... or leopard.

wildmac
Mar 12, 2007, 09:11 PM
one of the processors in my Dual-G5 (2ghz) died in December, so I've been waiting for a new machine... but I'm not really looking forward to paying for the memory upgrade... that's gonna be pricey.

But I need new hardware..... i guess it's finally here. Even if not tomorrow, soon enough.

AlBDamned
If Amazon had to shut all their worldwide stores down each time they added a new product they'd loose 3/4 of their entire revenue. LOLZ APPLE. Get your framework sorted so you don't have to down your stores to add products.

I'm sure they could do it without taking the stores down, but I doubt we'd see threads like this if they did.

I hear that there's a new plug-in for iLaunch that allows you to enable a similar "store down" website launchi as Apple ;)

CoreWeb

Yeah, but Amazon probably doesn't deal in secrets either. Remember the iLife 07 things they had available for purchase?

But still, Apple should probably change the site so that the store would stay live while they give keynotes, etc, and then exactly when 'da Steve announces the product (or finishes announcing it), put it online.

Of course, they could be worrying that then everyone and their dog would go overboard pressing "Reload" on their browser.

mrkramer
Mar 12, 2007, 09:12 PM
Would be an expensive few hours to keep it down for so long?

But would it be any more expensive than having it down to fix the mistake, putting it back up, taking it down again to update Mac Pros, and then after putting it back up, having to deal with more returns from people who bought Mac Pros during that short time it was back up?