PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV Orders Being Charged to Credit Cards

MacRumors
Mar 12, 2007, 11:56 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Several individuals who ordered the Apple TV early have noticed that today (March 12th) their credit cards have been charged the full amount for their Apple TV order. No shipping notices have yet been issued and the "ship date" on the order status page still reflects a March 20th shipping date. A discussion thread at Apple (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=886845&tstart=0) also reflects these happenings.

Retail Apple stores are expecting their Apple TV shipments by the 20th or 21st for display to the public.

The Apple TV was original scheduled for shipment in February but was delayed (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/26/apple-tv-delayed-until-march/) until "mid-March".

twoodcc
Mar 13, 2007, 12:01 AM
good news! hopefully they'll be shipping soon :) :apple:

nightowl
Mar 13, 2007, 12:05 AM
Does anyone think that Apple will announce 720p downloads soon, to coincide with, or jumpstart, the sales of ATV?

twoodcc
Mar 13, 2007, 12:06 AM
Does anyone think that Apple will announce 720p downloads soon, to coincide with, or jumpstart, the sales of ATV?

i sure hope so

mduser63
Mar 13, 2007, 12:10 AM
I started a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=287076) on this earlier. Anyway, I had reason to call Apple about this earlier today, and was told specifically that AppleTVs are shipping March 20th, but I was also told that my card wouldn't be charged until my order shipped. It was charged just an hour or two later. So we'll see...

Flowbee
Mar 13, 2007, 12:16 AM
This is great news! I can't wait to start reading the reviews. Oh yeah... and the unboxing photos... [drool]...

Will the Apple TV really "change the way we watch TV?" Time will tell.

balamw
Mar 13, 2007, 12:22 AM
Yay! Maybe we won't have to wait for next week!

B

donlphi
Mar 13, 2007, 12:56 AM
How long will it take to download a movie in 720p?

Chundles
Mar 13, 2007, 12:58 AM
How long will it take to download a movie in 720p?

At the 5Mbps the AppleTV supports? A bloody long time I would think.

A DVD converted to AppleTV format via Quicktime kept it's native resolution and was encoded at 2.5Mbps in H.264 and it was massive.

spicyapple
Mar 13, 2007, 12:59 AM
AppleTV is the only viable option right now for savvy consumers who want to view their high definition home movies on their HD sets.

I'll buy the moment it comes out. I did some test exporting some HDV footage to AppleTV 720p video and it looks really good. I'm excited by this.

spicyapple
Mar 13, 2007, 01:07 AM
This is high definition at DVD bitrates. Really amazing considering 720P has about 3 times the resolution of 480P.

Schill359
Mar 13, 2007, 01:30 AM
My AppleTV that I ordered in mid-January has been charged to my credit card as well. After the announcement of the delayed shipping last month, I called Apple and switched the shipping to overnight for free due to the delay. Now I'll have the AppleTV by Wednesday at 10:30 AM.

Bring on the 720P! I'd probably even pay a dollar more. The quality of some of the tv shows on iTunes leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you Apple!

siurpeeman
Mar 13, 2007, 02:09 AM
Bring on the 720P! I'd probably even pay a dollar more. The quality of some of the tv shows on iTunes leaves a lot to be desired.

i agree. i'd definitely pay $2.99 per show for hd content. if only it didn't take so much space!

C00rDiNaT0r
Mar 13, 2007, 02:31 AM
Why doesn't Apple offer a 1080p version of :apple:tv at a premium price? People who spent lots of money on a nice true 1080p TV probably won't mind, as long as it works...

aswitcher
Mar 13, 2007, 02:49 AM

A DVD converted to AppleTV format via Quicktime kept it's native resolution and was encoded at 2.5Mbps in H.264 and it was massive.

I have 6MBPS broadband so I am right...if they actually decide to sell these downunder

sonofpismo
Mar 13, 2007, 03:06 AM
My account was pre-charged as well. Usually this would mean shipping with 3 business days (the charge will fall off if not finally authorized by then).

Also, Next Day shipping does not mean one should expect it literally the next day. Many Apple items come IP Direct Distribution from China. (Usually a 3 day transit time for me here on the east coast.)

ntg
Mar 13, 2007, 03:14 AM
as far as I remember, it is illegal to charge a credit-card in the UK until the goods actually ship from the company.

now, I haven't checked my credit-card, but if someone in the Uk sees a charge from Apple then it does indeed mean they are about to leave the factory..

here's hoping!!:cool:

nig.

weg
Mar 13, 2007, 05:25 AM
AppleTV is the only viable option right now for savvy consumers who want to view their high definition home movies on their HD sets.

And that is.. because you say so or because Steve Jobs said so?
The XBox 360 also supports HD streaming (WMV HD), btw.
But.. oh, I forgot.. if you buy it you haven't got much SAVVY!

weg
Mar 13, 2007, 05:27 AM
i agree. i'd definitely pay $2.99 per show for hd content. if only it didn't take so much space!

How many minutes of HD content would one be able to save on the 40GB HD of the Apple-TV?

spicyapple
Mar 13, 2007, 05:30 AM
And that is.. because you say so or because Steve Jobs said so?Because Steve is our saviour and his word is golden. :)
The XBox 360 also supports HD streaming (WMV HD), btw.
But.. oh, I forgot.. if you buy it you haven't got much SAVVY!
I'm not a gamer, will never own an Xbox and I'm not really interested in anything to do with MS or WMV.

AidenShaw
Mar 13, 2007, 06:21 AM
I'm not a gamer, will never own an Xbox and I'm not really interested in anything to do with MS or WMV.
I'm not a gamer either, but have the Xbox 360 because it's a much more capable Media Center Extender than an Apple TV.

Not liking MS doesn't justify pretending that they don't exist.

zeppiecr
Mar 13, 2007, 06:52 AM
I know there isn't currently any 720 content from itunes and I'm sure there would be eventually, but I wish they would have some 1080p content one day. I'm sure it would take months to download but it would solve my HDDVD or bluray dillema

Steamboatwillie
Mar 13, 2007, 07:04 AM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70109&stc=1&d=1173787375

Ship baby, ship!

Dagless
Mar 13, 2007, 07:55 AM
It's all kicking off now! I'd be interested to see how these go, but no SCART output? No buy from me :(

mrgreen4242
Mar 13, 2007, 08:08 AM

I'll buy the moment it comes out. I did some test exporting some HDV footage to AppleTV 720p video and it looks really good. I'm excited by this.

Er, how are you recording HD home movies? Presumably whatever is recording them can play them back, no?

Anyways, we'll see how the AppleTV does, but I'm not really sure it's going to be a smash success like the iPod is. It seems a bit limited, and the pricing of the whole thing is off, for me. $300 for the box. $2 for TV shows, maybe more if they go HD. $10+ for movies, no rental (which I maintain is a mistake).

TiVo has pledged to produce a more affordable HD recorder this year, so assuming they can get down to that $300 price (from the $700 it is now) you could get an HD DVR that plays back purchased AND rented content (via Amazon) and had a terrific UI (TiVo's UI is one of the best, although it has stagnated in the last few years). Amazon could EASILY launch an HD TV and movie service to go with the new TiVo HD DVR as well.

The 360, as mentioned, has plans to offer more streaming premium media, and does at least an adequate job of it (I've not used it, so I can't say if it's a great setup or not... but it at minimum gets the job done).

We'll see, but I think Apple needs to do something that separates it from the pack if they are going to succeed here.

spicyapple
Mar 13, 2007, 08:16 AM
Not liking MS doesn't justify pretending that they don't exist.It's not that I don't like MS, I just treat them as I would an ugly stepsister.

Er, how are you recording HD home movies? Presumably whatever is recording them can play them back, no?Shot in HDV, edited in HDV and exported out as Apple Intermediate Codec. This is with those HDV camcorders, mind you. It's possible to playout from the camcorder, but not recommended unless you want to wear out the heads.

I'm not willing to gamble on Apple selling HD movies on iTS anytime soon, so 720P might be just one of those specs that is "there" to please people like me. :)

NightStorm
Mar 13, 2007, 08:17 AM
As an owner of the Series3 Tivo, I was curious about the Amazon Unbox deal and signed up (free $15 credit if you sign up by the end of the month I think). Anyways, I'm pretty disappointed with the video specs; everything I have checked so far says that the Tivo downloads are 1.33:1. Definitely not something I want to be watching on my HDTV streaming from my HD Tivo.

Here's hoping Apple does something with their content soon. If they bumped the resolution of their content to 720p, I'd have a S3 Tivo for sale. :D

jruc4871
Mar 13, 2007, 08:40 AM
Why doesn't Apple offer a 1080p version of :apple:tv at a premium price? People who spent lots of money on a nice true 1080p TV probably won't mind, as long as it works...

They already do, it's called the Mac Mini.

markfc
Mar 13, 2007, 08:43 AM
as far as I remember, it is illegal to charge a credit-card in the UK until the goods actually ship from the company.

now, I haven't checked my credit-card, but if someone in the Uk sees a charge from Apple then it does indeed mean they are about to leave the factory..

nig.

What? That's not illegal at all.

berkleeboy210
Mar 13, 2007, 08:53 AM
Has anyone pre-ordered recently, like within the last week? I'm anxious to see if that 3/20 ship date is the same. I want to order one but don't feel like waiting till probably early April if they are backlogged. wonder if it would be better just picking one up in the store next week.

paulyras
Mar 13, 2007, 09:15 AM
Has anyone pre-ordered recently, like within the last week? I'm anxious to see if that 3/20 ship date is the same. I want to order one but don't feel like waiting till probably early April if they are backlogged. wonder if it would be better just picking one up in the store next week.

I ordered one on 2/26, in anticipation of the February shipping timeline, and within about 6 hours of ordering got bumped to the 3/20 ship date, which is still the case on my order status. I haven't seen my credit card get billed, but it could still be just a delay in sequentially processing the orders. My 3/20 email arrived about 4-5 hours after the first reports popped up, so it does appear they do things in order. I'll update if I get billed...

By the way, here are apple's terms for billing your credit card...

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#Payment%20Methods

"Credit card billing occurs when your order ships."

stillwater
Mar 13, 2007, 10:00 AM
My credit card has been charged as of this morning. I checked my order status and it still says "shipping by 3/20".

I ordered right after the Apple store came back on-line after the MWSF keynote.

berkleeboy210
Mar 13, 2007, 10:05 AM
I ordered one on 2/26, in anticipation of the February shipping timeline, and within about 6 hours of ordering got bumped to the 3/20 ship date, which is still the case on my order status. I haven't seen my credit card get billed, but it could still be just a delay in sequentially processing the orders. My 3/20 email arrived about 4-5 hours after the first reports popped up, so it does appear they do things in order. I'll update if I get billed...

By the way, here are apple's terms for billing your credit card...

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#Payment%20Methods

"Credit card billing occurs when your order ships."

Thanks! I just ordered and it still says 3/20 for shipping w/ delivery by 2/23 i upgraded to 2 day shipping there was no next day option which must mean it's coming from directly from China.

I'm one of those types of people who doesn't like to wait long for things! so I'm glad that shipping date is still the same.

I'll probably order a Mac Mini too to use a Media hub and have all my stuff loaded on it to free up my Laptop!

izzle22
Mar 13, 2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks! I just ordered and it still says 3/20 for shipping w/ delivery by 2/23 i upgraded to 2 day shipping there was no next day option which must mean it's coming from directly from China.

I'm one of those types of people who doesn't like to wait long for things! so I'm glad that shipping date is still the same.

I'll probably order a Mac Mini too to use a Media hub and have all my stuff loaded on it to free up my Laptop!

I doesn't matter if you order 2 day or not it will still get there the same time as if you choose regular shipping(on new unreleased products) They ship the same way to everyone. I've noticed this in the past on all my orders, and I've ordered alot of unreleased Apple products.

paulyras
Mar 13, 2007, 10:20 AM

Actually, I have a mini that I will continue to use on one of my TVs, and it works well. The appleTV is for the other. My recommendation is actually to either go with the N basestation. I've got a 250gb drive connected to it and it works pretty well (though networked iTunes libraries are a bit of a pain). If you wanted to really go all out, I'd spring for this guy...

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=509

Essentially it's an empty NAS enclosure that supports RAID mirroring, to protect your library. For the price of a core duo mini, if you shop around, you could probably get one and load it up with two 750gb drives and get the n basestation.

The only disappointing thing about that is that the ethernet on the basestation is only 100Mbps, so you'll be limited by ethernet speeds instead of wireless speeds. Kind of silly if you ask me...

ChrisA
Mar 13, 2007, 10:30 AM
How many minutes of HD content would one be able to save on the 40GB HD of the Apple-TV?

About 10 hours of HD content. H264 compressed to about 4GB per hour looks very good and many would be hapy with 1GB/hour. The internal disk is not for storage. The movie is first "sync'd to the disk from an iTunes library. The 40GB internal drive is just a local cache and the old stuff is deleted as ner content gets cached there. Also, if your network is fast enough you do not need to store any content on the internal 40Gb drive. It can be streamed from a Mac or PC

merman637
Mar 13, 2007, 10:43 AM

nig.

In Truth, Here in the U.S. it is illegal to charge a customer's credit card until AFTER an item has shipped. Other wise you could charge someone's card and then forget to ship an item...also known as fraud...also grounds to have your CC charge abilities taken away by the CC companies...
This tells me that these baby's have already shipped...NICE!

balamw
Mar 13, 2007, 10:46 AM
This tells me that these baby's have already shipped...NICE!
They could still be on a slow boat from China.

I requested 2 day shipping on mine and ordered it the day of the Keynote and have yet to have my CC charged. :(

B

gkarris
Mar 13, 2007, 11:11 AM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=70109&stc=1&d=1173787375

Ship baby, ship!

Well, the "pre-authorization" explains it. They really didn't charge your card. Apple is seeing if the card is still valid. The delay may have caused problems with credit cards that may have just expired...

Bonte
Mar 13, 2007, 11:18 AM
I'm not a gamer either, but have the Xbox 360 because it's a much more capable Media Center Extender than an Apple TV.

If it doesn't work with osX it doesn't exist.

kb9tuf
Mar 13, 2007, 11:27 AM
my credit card has also been authorized.

My apple store account still says

APPLE TV-USA
Not yet shipped
Ships by: Mar 20
Delivers by: Mar 26

berkleeboy210
Mar 13, 2007, 11:51 AM
hmmm very weird I just ordered the Apple TV this morning and just went to check my credit card. and there was a $324 charge from apple and then another $10 charge.

does anyone know what the $10 is from?

Peace
Mar 13, 2007, 11:57 AM
hmmm very weird I just ordered the Apple TV this morning and just went to check my credit card. and there was a $324 charge from apple and then another $10 charge.

does anyone know what the $10 is from?

Expedited shipping?

berkleeboy210
Mar 13, 2007, 12:01 PM
Expedited shipping?

that charge was already included in the $324 amount. original with tax was $314.

mdntcallr
Mar 13, 2007, 01:09 PM

While i want apple to do well with this. I have to disagree that it is the ONLY option.

1- moviebeam has a great solution, not selling but it works.
2- Xbox 360 - excellent movie store. albiet with long download times depending on your ISP connection
3- Playstation 3- they are about the launch a movie store, including HD movies.

so, while i think apple tv will be well positioned when launched but it will have competition.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 13, 2007, 01:11 PM
I can't wait till the Apple store gets these things so I can test it out and see how it looks. I agree with mrgreen that iTunes SHOULD have a rental service. This alone would make the ATV a knockout system to have.

As for the XBox...meh. I tried out the media center thing I just don't care for the look and feel of it. People go on and on about the HD capacity when it's completely meaningless.

I think people are being a bit unfair and should actually see how this thing performs in the real world before griping and trumping other hardware before it even hits stores.

Reverend Wally
Mar 13, 2007, 01:11 PM

WOW .... !

I always suspected that Apple was going to invent a time machine. Shipping on 3-20 and receiving it on 2-23 :confused:

Do you have to travel back to 2-23 to get it, then travel back to 3-20 to open the box .... Is Apple shipping the iTimetraveler yet?

:p

Just kidding .... :rolleyes:

I know it is just a typo .... but ........... :cool:

Yay :apple:

mdntcallr
Mar 13, 2007, 01:12 PM
They could still be on a slow boat from China.

I requested 2 day shipping on mine and ordered it the day of the Keynote and have yet to have my CC charged. :(

B

funny.

gopher
Mar 13, 2007, 01:37 PM
Mine went into pending charge status yesterday. But that doesn't mean it actually has shipped. Until it actually goes through, they might be waiting to send it out.

sfwalter
Mar 13, 2007, 02:22 PM
So to prepare for my Apple TV (arriving by next week I hope!) I checked the tech specs to see what cables were included. What's absent from the "In the box" section is any cables (either hdmi or component). I find this very un-Apple.

Does anyone know for sure if any cables are included?

izzle22
Mar 13, 2007, 02:29 PM
So to prepare for my Apple TV (arriving by next week I hope!) I checked the tech specs to see what cables were included. What's absent from the "In the box" section is any cables (either hdmi or component). I find this very un-Apple.

Power Cable is included.:D No other cables are included because Apple has no way of knowing what cables you are going to use. Also it's another cost which would be passed on to the customer.

eddyg
Mar 13, 2007, 03:08 PM

Did you not notice the page of cables that were offered to you on the Apple Store after selecting the Apple TV for purchase? The fact that there were so many different types is the reason that none are bundled. They are expensive, and you don't want to include the wrong one.

I needed a HDMI -> DVI for example.

Cheers, Ed.

donlphi
Mar 13, 2007, 03:53 PM
Can't wait to hear the RAVE reviews on this product. IT SHOULD BE AMAZING...

:rolleyes:

iMikeT
Mar 13, 2007, 04:40 PM
I guess this mean that :apple: tv is on its way?

thedonga
Mar 13, 2007, 08:53 PM
can't wait to see someone hack it to play divx files...
I mean I already have a dvd player that outputs hdtv and has a network jack so I can stream from my server....and it does just about every file format

It only cost me 200 bucks....
iodata avellink player2...been around for a looooooong time.
There are lots of them out there.

appletv is not some mind blowing new product. It's just apple's take on something that's been around for years.
ps mine doesn't need stupid ass itunes to organize and serve up my movies....any folder location works for me!
and yes it plays mp3, displays pictures, connects to podcasts online, grabs online content, plays all the good audio formats...not something you are going to find with appletv..did I mention it plays DVDs???????

izzle22
Mar 13, 2007, 11:42 PM
I mean I already have a dvd player that outputs hdtv and has a network jack so I can stream from my server....and it does just about every file format

appletv is not some mind blowing new product. It's just apple's take on something that's been around for years.
ps mine doesn't need stupid ass itunes to organize and serve up my movies....any folder location works for me!
and yes it plays mp3, displays pictures, connects to podcasts online, grabs online content, plays all the good audio formats...not something you are going to find with appletv..did I mention it plays DVDs???????

You are on the wrong thread BUDDY. Go to the tv bashing thread, this one is for people who are excited that the product they have already ordered might be shipping and their credit cards are showing a charge.

thedonga
Mar 14, 2007, 10:47 AM
You are on the wrong thread BUDDY. Go to the tv bashing thread, this one is for people who are excited that the product they have already ordered might be shipping and their credit cards are showing a charge.
ok BUDDY....you're still getting excited about something that's lame and old technology

gkarris
Mar 14, 2007, 12:36 PM
ok BUDDY....you're still getting excited about something that's lame and old technology

Your Windows compatible DVD player doesn't play protected iTunes content...

bbrosemer
Mar 14, 2007, 01:01 PM
Did anyone else notice that on the apple web site the only section of the opitions menu that they dont go into depth with is the sources menu.... Here's to hoping that the sources menu includes USB tv tuners and external HD's...

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 14, 2007, 02:38 PM

Actually, this is just Apple's method of expanding their content beyond the iPod and computer without having to connect cables to the television. It's just an iTunes client. Think of the ATV as a screenless TV-connected iPod.

I happen to like iTunes' organization of my movie files, and I love the coverflow feature which works very well.

theheadguy
Mar 14, 2007, 03:30 PM
Power Cable is included.:D No other cables are included because Apple has no way of knowing what cables you are going to use. Also it's another cost which would be passed on to the customer.
No need to defend :apple: . $250 is not cheap for the simple hardware you are buying. They could have included regular 480i cables for those who didn't mastermind their setup ahead of time, and this would add like, what, 5 cents? Oh, not to mention it would add a considerable amount of customer satisfaction.

theheadguy
Mar 14, 2007, 03:33 PM
Or 1080i like the ATV is! ;)

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 14, 2007, 03:38 PM
I think that sorta sucks that it doesn't come with at least one kind of cable start off with, and I know that good cables are not cheap (at least the kind I'd buy) and it would be much cheaper for Apple to include them in the box than it would be for me to go out and buy them myself.

Mar 14, 2007, 04:51 PM
I think that sorta sucks that it doesn't come with at least one kind of cable start off with, and I know that good cables are not cheap (at least the kind I'd buy) and it would be much cheaper for Apple to include them in the box than it would be for me to go out and buy them myself.

Apple will include them in the shipping box if you take two seconds to click and select the one you need on the AppleTV page where the accessories are listed right next to the product.

Most of the cables it *could* come with (e.g. HDMI, component video, toslink) are not cheap and also not manufactured by Apple. The result is that in order for them to include products made entirely by a third party, repackage/rebrand them as Apple and include them in the AppleTV packaging would cost more than you buying the cables separately because the costs of wholesale purchasing, plus repackaging, plus rebranding, end up adding to more than the cost plus margin of you buying it direct from the same vendor.

And audio/video cabling in particular gets really ugly with cost because most often the vendor doesn't even MAKE the cables. Most cabling companies buy the interconnects and the cable, solder them together, repackage and rebrand. So even buying direct you're already paying a huge markup... and you want to pay an even bigger markup?!

Cabling is the last thing you'd want packaged in with any product for this very reason.

Mar 14, 2007, 04:57 PM
No need to defend :apple: . $250 is not cheap for the simple hardware you are buying. They could have included regular 480i cables for those who didn't mastermind their setup ahead of time, and this would add like, what, 5 cents? Oh, not to mention it would add a considerable amount of customer satisfaction.

What other device are you comparing AppleTV's pricing to, exactly? Is there another device out there that uses 802.11n wi-fi to wirelessly stream 720p movies, photos, music (in formats ranging from MP3 to MPEG-4 to LPCM AIFF) from up to five computers with seamless onscreen, remote-controlled user interface integration with iTunes?

See, I have no problem with suggesting that AppleTV is not cheap... but in comparison to what?

There's nothing particularly cheap about a $3000 piece of machinery... but if that $3000 piece of machinery happens to be a car, let's say, then it does things that other $3000 pieces of machinery might not do.... and yet it's still dirt cheap compared to, say, a $42,000 car. But, to make my point, I'm willing to bet the $3000 car probably didn't come with heated leather seats, speed-sensitive audio, and rain sensing wipers.

Pricing is relative to features and benefits.

So, it's just sensible to... you know... Compare Apples to apples. :D

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 14, 2007, 11:13 PM
Apple will include them in the shipping box if you take two seconds to click and select the one you need on the AppleTV page where the accessories are listed right next to the product.

Most of the cables it *could* come with (e.g. HDMI, component video, toslink) are not cheap and also not manufactured by Apple. The result is that in order for them to include products made entirely by a third party, repackage/rebrand them as Apple and include them in the AppleTV packaging would cost more than you buying the cables separately because the costs of wholesale purchasing, plus repackaging, plus rebranding, end up adding to more than the cost plus margin of you buying it direct from the same vendor.

And audio/video cabling in particular gets really ugly with cost because most often the vendor doesn't even MAKE the cables. Most cabling companies buy the interconnects and the cable, solder them together, repackage and rebrand. So even buying direct you're already paying a huge markup... and you want to pay an even bigger markup?!

Cabling is the last thing you'd want packaged in with any product for this very reason.

Oh ok. Well, complaint retracted :D

I'm not the richest man in the world, but I can't seem to get it into my head that the ATV's price is terribly expensive given what it does. I did pay $400 for my 60GB iPod and $1,600 for my macbook though, so perhaps this is what's warping my wallet's eye view. =/

jlewis2k1
Mar 14, 2007, 11:39 PM
speaking of the iTV in our ad at target. for next week we are advertising iTunes TV cards. so does that say anything?

Mar 15, 2007, 08:39 AM
Oh ok. Well, complaint retracted :D

I'm not the richest man in the world, but I can't seem to get it into my head that the ATV's price is terribly expensive given what it does. I did pay $400 for my 60GB iPod and $1,600 for my macbook though, so perhaps this is what's warping my wallet's eye view. =/

I paid $400 for a 2nd generation 10GB iPod, $500 to upgrade my Power Mac 8500's 32MB of RAM to 128MB, and $1500 for an Apple IIc with no hard drive and 128 kilobytes of RAM.

What does that tell you?

sprescott1974
Mar 15, 2007, 09:08 AM
speaking of the iTV in our ad at target. for next week we are advertising iTunes TV cards. so does that say anything?

a quick browse through the weekly circular for target in lincoln, ne (where you're from right?) does not show the :apple:TV at all. got a scan?

btw ya'll my credit card pre-authorization seems to have dropped off so i guess these aren't shipping yet.

jlewis2k1
Mar 15, 2007, 09:33 AM
actually this cicrular is for all targets. but i probably can get a copy.i don't work till tomorrow so i probably won't be till after 5 or so.

edit: it is not this weeks, its for next week.

mduser63
Mar 15, 2007, 09:34 AM
btw ya'll my credit card pre-authorization seems to have dropped off so i guess these aren't shipping yet.

Mine's still there...

MacBoobsPro
Mar 15, 2007, 09:38 AM
Mine has been charged here in the UK. I ordered it yesterday. Im gonna give em a ring to see what they say. :D

EDIT: So I called them. "If you placed the order on a debit card then it will be billed immediately but if you used a credit card then a block is placed on it until the item has shipped".

I could of sworn previous items I have purchased were only billed when the item had shipped.

Anyhoo. For those talking about lack of cables. The reason is most likely there are none because there are so many different ways to hook up AppleTV that for Apple to supply all the different cables or even just one that may never be used would be like throwing money away. Simple really when you think about it.

sprescott1974
Mar 15, 2007, 09:53 AM
can't make any changes to the order because it is in processing. they said as soon as it becomes available it will ship out and they are estimating between 3/22 and 3/26.

longterm
Mar 15, 2007, 10:38 AM

Sure it does! I've had dismal experiences with M$ products, so I just step over anything having to do with M$. Works great for me...

Like SpicyApple, I have no plans to ever own an XBox because I'm not a gamer. What's more, I look forward to hooking the MacMini which lives in my stereo cabinet into the AppleTV, and being able to use FrontRow on my plasma TV.

It doesn't matter to me about XBox... I love Apple technology and design, and will support them at every turn.

aristobrat
Mar 15, 2007, 10:41 AM
Um, yeah. That's obvious... The iPod wasn't a mind blowing new product either. It was just Apple's take on something that'd been around for years.

They put the polish on it required for the average consumer to feel comfortable with the product. End result was a product ready for the mass market.

A typical AVSforum comment about your DVD player solution = "I still would not recommend this player for Joe Sixpack.

I will heartily recommend it if you are a video geek. (You know who you are.)"

That's *exactly* the opposite experience Apple wants to give.

Hate iTunes if you want, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the fact that with over 90 MILLION iPods having been sold, there's a HUGE (!!!!) base of "Joe Sixpacks" that are comfortable with knowing how to use iTunes to manage their library.

For those less-technically inclined (which I imagine to be the majority of the mass market), already being comfortable with the media management software (iTunes) is a HUGE plus in them chosing an AppleTV instead of a device like the I-O Data AVeL LinkPlayer2.

Real MP3 player geeks don't choose iPods.
I don't see why real video geeks would chose the AppleTV.

But to pretend that the AppleTV won't be a hit with the masses because you hate iTunes or because it doesn't play a format you like is pretty shortsighted, IMO.

theheadguy
Mar 15, 2007, 11:32 AM
What other device are you comparing AppleTV's pricing to, exactly? Is there another device out there that uses 802.11n wi-fi to wirelessly stream 720p movies, photos, music (in formats ranging from MP3 to MPEG-4 to LPCM AIFF) from up to five computers with seamless onscreen, remote-controlled user interface integration with iTunes?
There's nothing particularly cheap about a $3000 piece of machinery... but if that $3000 piece of machinery happens to be a car, let's say, then it does things that other $3000 pieces of machinery might not do.... and yet it's still dirt cheap compared to, say, a $42,000 car. But, to make my point, I'm willing to bet the $3000 car probably didn't come with heated leather seats, speed-sensitive audio, and rain sensing wipers.
Pricing is relative to features and benefits.

Totally agreed. However, a 5-cent video cable to make sure you can actually use the product when you take it out of the box is hardly heated leather seats, speed-sensitive audio and rain sensing wipers. It seems like people are so shocked and astounded we are finally getting a product like this that Apple could decide to NOT include a remote control and we'd have hundreds of users on here stating how justified that was. ;)

Cintos
Mar 15, 2007, 12:08 PM
Greetings:

Ongoing controversy re the cable;

However, a 5-cent video cable to make sure you can actually use the product when you take it out of the box is hardly heated leather seats, speed-sensitive audio and rain sensing wipers.

As pointed out earlier, this is not a 1-foot RCA cable set.... The interface cables ARE diverse, and expensive. Please don't put in a $10 HDMI cable when I need a $15 Component Video Cable instead. (OEM prices...) One important point is LENGTH. What good is including a 3-ft mini-HDMI when I need a 6-foot one to get to my flat panel - or maby 12 Ft? Way toooo many variables.

MacBoobsPro
Mar 15, 2007, 12:11 PM
Greetings:

Ongoing controversy re the cable;

As pointed out earlier, this is not a 1-foot RCA cable set.... The interface cables ARE diverse, and expensive. Please don't put in a $10 HDMI cable when I need a $15 Component Video Cable instead. (OEM prices...) One important point is LENGTH. What good is including a 3-ft mini-HDMI when I need a 6-foot one to get to my flat panel - or maby 12 Ft? Way toooo many variables.

Exactly.

If say they did provide a 3' cable of whatever type. You would be paying for that cable even if you dont need it. So it makes sense to not include any way.

BigHat
Mar 15, 2007, 01:16 PM
Exactly.

If say they did provide a 3' cable of whatever type. You would be paying for that cable even if you dont need it. So it makes sense to not include any way.

Additionally, it's clear that you need connecting cables when you order it. At least online). So it's not like you're going to be surprised when you open the box.
It's just like I don't need them to raise the price of an iPod by $10 by furnishing a case I have no intention of using.

theheadguy
Mar 15, 2007, 01:29 PM
Okay time to end it. All points are perfectly valid and we can agree to disagree. My closing statement (hehe) is when I bought my Powerbook G4 I in no way needed a mini-dvi to DVI adapter however I got it anyway (and therefor paid for it anyway)... What if I needed a mini-dvi to VGA? I don't know, maybe Apple can't figure out what to include with every new product it releases (less than 2 years ago they were including crappy cases with certain iPods, others had none)... Component video cables ARE very cheap, I get free ones all the time from Comcast every time they come to replace their crappy HD DVRs lol... Also, I bought a 6ft HDMI cable online for $7 that works perfectly. If I can buy it for $7, Apple can probably buy it for $2 (or less!). In any case, it comes with zero cabling, so it's BYOC.

That being said, it's fine by me because all I really care about is the fact that now I can finally watch The Office on my plasma without lugging my MBP to my TV and trying to convince my friends it really is the best way to do it haha! :D

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 15, 2007, 03:45 PM
I paid $400 for a 2nd generation 10GB iPod, $500 to upgrade my Power Mac 8500's 32MB of RAM to 128MB, and $1500 for an Apple IIc with no hard drive and 128 kilobytes of RAM.

What does that tell you?

That you'd do a fella a solid, and buy him an ATV. :p
I keed, no freeloaders allowed in my house.

I'm pretty excited about this device though. My iPod makes for a mighty fine outlet of my movies with the dock connected to the TV, but the ATV seems a lot easier and a LOT more convenient. I'd much rather sync wirelessly to a client attached to my television set than sync my iPod, disconnect it then dock it.

Starship77
Mar 16, 2007, 09:33 PM
Well... it's mid-March now. Where's the :apple: TV?? :confused: :confused:

stillwater
Mar 17, 2007, 06:31 AM
The charge that was put on my Visa card is now gone from my on-line statement.

Peace
Mar 17, 2007, 09:37 PM
I'm hoping they go out Monday the 19th but it will probably be Tuesday the 20th like most orders say.

The last couple of days the $10 charges a lot of people saw were actually confirmation charges ( depending on credit or debit card ) before the actual charge.The $10 charge will have dropped off and depending on your bank the actual charge will show up at your bank when they start physically shipping.

Here's a key :

If you are unable to cancel your order they are getting ready to ship it to you.

Mr. MacBook
Mar 17, 2007, 09:53 PM
i dont get the point of apple tv at all lol

jlewis2k1
Mar 18, 2007, 05:29 AM
I been meaning to get a snapshot of the ad (target) since friday but here is the ad showing the iTunes TV cards.

http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_rppi/331.0.88.0/target/large/070318_p11al_2nsep.jpg

BigHat
Mar 18, 2007, 06:20 AM
i dont get the point of apple tv at all lol

So don't buy one. Thousands do get the point.

mduser63
Mar 18, 2007, 08:57 AM
The last couple of days the $10 charges a lot of people saw were actually confirmation charges ( depending on credit or debit card ) before the actual charge.The $10 charge will have dropped off and depending on your bank the actual charge will show up at your bank when they start physically shipping.

It was not a $10 charge on my card, it was for the full amount (~$220 in my case, since I had $100 from a gift card).

Peace
Mar 18, 2007, 11:21 AM
It was not a $10 charge on my card, it was for the full amount (~$220 in my case, since I had $100 from a gift card).

Was it a debit card and has the charge dropped off ?