Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diyjoe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Hi

I've been searching (unsuccessfully) for something that will visually display the audio output of my mac (there's lots that will show input levels).

I'm working on a presentation which includes lots of pieces of audio - video, music, sound effect, etc. - and I need to make sure that levels match.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

fretlessadam

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
VU meter for MAC

I have also been searching, unsuccessfully for a VU meter that will simply display the outgoing volume of my audio output. If you have been looking since 2007, I might not have any luck... :confused: Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
This won't help the OP, but I figured out a pretty simple way of grabbing the output and "listening" to it in order to produce a VU meter.

You'll need Spectre (it provides the actual VU meter), and Audio HiJack Pro.

In AHP there is a stream capture that allows you to capture all output (not compatible in Lion) and then you can use a AUNetSend to Spectre to display a whole plethera of meters.

AHP also supports a multitude of meters through AU plugins.

If you use Spectre you can route the audio through Spectre and use it to output, and mute the main output from the system and avoid the noise over after 10 minutes of playback if you don't pay for the license, you'll have to have Spectre unlocked from the 15 day trial if you want to use it full time.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Hi
I'm working on a presentation which includes lots of pieces of audio - video, music, sound effect, etc. - and I need to make sure that levels match.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

What are using to build your presentation?

An easy method would be to import the audio into iTunes and look at the output levels on each piece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.