PDA

View Full Version : Did my thread get deleted? And if so, why?

tpjunkie
Jun 5, 2003, 04:16 PM
After reading the "Christians?" thread I started one much the same only for those of the Jewish faith. Only it seems to have vanished without a trace...did a mod move it or delete it? If so, why?

medea
Jun 5, 2003, 04:21 PM
though you might have been serious about the topic, that thread quickly went off-topic with stupid comments about jewish women and homosexuals, idiots on here cause threads to get shut down sometimes so don't take it personal.

shadowfax
Jun 5, 2003, 04:22 PM
it's in the wasteland. i am sorry that it got removed like that, but some jackasses turned it into a spamfest, as you'll see if you look at it in the wasteland. sorry man, some people are jerks like that. maybe you can ask the mods if you can make another one and start it right, but be sure and ask first (pm mr anderson, rower cpu, eyelikeart, etc).

wow that's odd. it looks like it got completely deleted for some reason. probably for the better, that thread got really nasty in a hurry.

MrMacMan
Jun 5, 2003, 05:05 PM
Wow, I missed by religion's thread?

What the hell... when did that happen? :eek:

The Jewish thread... damn...

vniow
Jun 5, 2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
wow that's odd. it looks like it got completely deleted for some reason. probably for the better, that thread got really nasty in a hurry.

Naw, its still there....and I must admit I am guilty of spam murder myself..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28532

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2003, 05:21 PM
There's no reason you couldn't start another - just warn people that you're serious and would like it not to get trashed over stupidity.

Also, let the mods know about any posts that have issues and we'll help out as we can.

D

MacBandit
Jun 5, 2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by vniow
Naw, its still there....and I must admit I am guilty of spam murder myself..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28532

V! v! v! Shame on you. To think your a respected member of the top 10 members and talking like that. Oh, your one down now on that top 10 list.:p

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
To think your a respected member of the top 10 members and talking like that. Oh, your one down now on that top 10 list.:p

*cough* respected? :p

post count means nothing - the top ten list is just a list.

If you took out all of vniow's one liners he's posted he wouldn't be on the first page.

D

MrMacMan
Jun 5, 2003, 05:36 PM
Damn... how many comments were deleted, I see a quote to a post that aint there no more... :confused:

Damnit if people didn't have off topic discussions I could have made that work...

damn you! (kinda mean, but hey you people killed it)

MacBandit
Jun 5, 2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
*cough* respected? :p

post count means nothing - the top ten list is just a list.

If you took out all of vniow's one liners he's posted he wouldn't be on the first page.

D

The top 10 thing was more of a nudge at V then anything. She mentioned something about me going to pass her a few weeks ago.

Also I would not want to imply any sort of respect for anyone in the top 10 everyone in the top 10 is a bunch of wankers. :p

One liners? We all have a few of those. Some more then others.

vniow
Jun 5, 2003, 05:41 PM
The top 10 thing was more of a nudge at V then anything. She mentioned something about me going to pass her a few weeks ago.

Huh? When did I say that?

pseudobrit
Jun 5, 2003, 05:47 PM
You realise you're spamming another one of this guy's threads into oblivion, don't you -- cut him a break -- sheesh! :p

MrMacMan
Jun 5, 2003, 05:50 PM
Yeah I think we need a
'community discussion -- OFF TOPIC'
area.

Seriously that thread needed some posted deleted and needed to be re-started.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Yeah I think we need a
'community discussion -- OFF TOPIC'
area.

Ah, community spam forum? Don't think so - it would be too much work to weed out the problem posts (not spam, but the insults and stupidity that would run rampant).

D

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 5, 2003, 06:02 PM
its getting pretty bad when you cant comment,joke etc. anyone say over censor? Moderators are overmoderating in my opinion. These are chats, we are not publishing stories so how about acting when really needed instead of playing demigod/big brother or whatever.

MrMacMan
Jun 5, 2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
its getting pretty bad when you cant comment,joke etc. anyone say over censor? Moderators are overmoderating in my opinion. These are chats, we are not publishing stories so how about acting when really needed instead of playing demigod/big brother or whatever.

I would tend to agree, but overall it is good keeping it clean.

And if my school's filter BESS (:screams bloody evil EVIL:) sees anything that looks like a curse macrumors will be blocked... forever...

Seriously, even /. is blocked, I can see the forums being blocked, but the main page? :eek:

Sun Baked
Jun 5, 2003, 06:08 PM
Also I would not want to imply any sort of respect for anyone in the top 10 everyone in the top 10 is a bunch of wankers. :pI really can't think of an adequate reply...

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 5, 2003, 06:11 PM
Yeah sometimes i get carried away and will swear/ try to back down but i have never seen so many threads shut down for so little reason even now we may be off subject and this thread may get close. my god let people talk, sometimes subject matter may go off but usually someone will bring people back on subject without having to close a thread.

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2003, 06:52 PM
I don't believe u have the right to voice an opinion of "over-moderation" Dont Hurt Me...u have been the cause of a few thread reports this week. :rolleyes:

tpjunkie
Jun 5, 2003, 07:09 PM
And why I should check the forums more than twice or three times a day... :p

MrMacMan
Jun 5, 2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ah, community spam forum? Don't think so - it would be too much work to weed out the problem posts (not spam, but the insults and stupidity that would run rampant).

D

No, not what I would have pictured...

Originally posted by eyelikeart
I don't believe u have the right to voice an opinion of "over-moderation" Dont Hurt Me...u have been the cause of a few thread reports this week. :rolleyes:
As all of the mods quickly hit report to mod button seveal times. :o :D :rolleyes:

Now that wouldn't be a breach of ethics...

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2003, 08:30 PM
As all of the mods quickly hit report to mod button seveal times. :o :D :rolleyes:

Now that wouldn't be a breach of ethics...

well...none of us reported any threads...

are u joking or beingn serious?! :confused:

MrMacMan
Jun 5, 2003, 08:35 PM
well...none of us reported any threads...

are u joking or beingn serious?! :confused:

haha.

I was Serious. ;)

No really, joking, reporting someone like that just so you could prove a point would go a little tooo far.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 5, 2003, 08:45 PM
No really, joking, reporting someone like that just so you could prove a point would go a little tooo far.

Yes it would, and when you report it, the email we get tells us who's reporting them, so there's no way to avoid that.

As for Don't Hurt Me - you're missing a huge point here in making the assumption that everyone gets your *jokes*. This is an international forum for one, and english isn't the 1st language for quite a few members. That added to the the fact that sarcasm doesn't translate well in text and you don't add any smilies to indicate you're joking has caused quite a few misunderstandings. Generalizations and personal attacks never really go over well - and in most cases this is what we have to clean up. You think we like it?

We're not overmoderating, you're not posting by the rules, circumventing the profanity filter and spamming. We're supposed to ignore this and the reported posts?

Play nice and everything works out.

Thanks,

D

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2003, 08:46 PM

he he...well I've actually been reported before... :eek: ;)

Sun Baked
Jun 5, 2003, 09:07 PM
he he...well I've actually been reported before... :eek: ;) Hey the moderators kept saying report spam problems, and resist the temptation to join in...

I don't remember anything about spam problems from moderators being exempt.

Though a locked and moderated spam thread did pose an interesting intellectual challenge in deciphering the rules. :p

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 5, 2003, 09:09 PM
People can report people for anything they dont like, it can be profanity which every one should try to control( which i slip on occasion or it can be for simply stating another opinion,idea or whatever and the person with a opposing point of view looks for a reason to report. Look at the Hillary thread my god, we cant have humor, no jokes, what is this ??? In the U.S. we have freedom of Speech, Liberty,etc But on the net we do not? Maybe we should have a Mac forum for adults if so many are offended. Maybe for U.S Adults if so many foreigners are offended. Is this the Barney show? What makes Macrumors Great is this Freedom. What makes the U.S. great is this Freedom. Sorry if i offended someone.

wdlove
Jun 5, 2003, 09:09 PM
I think that for the most part everyone on this forum is very respectful. The moderators do a good job, I'm sure it's not that easy. They deserve our respect!

eyelikeart
Jun 5, 2003, 09:29 PM
There's no double standard for anyone around here. The mods are here to make sure things don't get out of hand for the most part, contrary to recent popular belief.

It has nothing to with freedom of speech when someone flamebaits another member on the forums or a thread is just not worthy of keeping open for the sake of killing bandwidth & wasting space on the site.

shadowfax
Jun 5, 2003, 10:11 PM
he he...well I've actually been reported before... :eek: ;) ha ha, yeah, i reported him to himself for double posting, the devious little bastard!

wdlove--even the most respectful of people can get extremely annoying when they start posting worthless spam, no matter how nice it is.

medea
Jun 6, 2003, 02:48 PM
well almost everyone that has posted in this thread is basically spamming it, the thread was a simple question on why the previous thread was closed, it was answered so case closed,
how many of this guys threads are you going to spam......

and yes I realize I'm only adding to the spam by posting this.