PDA

View Full Version : Two iBook 12" very soiled

Ironduke
Mar 13, 2007, 02:27 PM
A mate passed me 2 ibooks up he was given over a month ago, they are water damaged, and skuffed to hell, however after a good clean the screens are pretty good.

the problem?

I cant power either of them up, because only 1 has a battery, and its probably well flat and their is no mains cable:confused:

so im kinda in a fuddle, the battery fits in both ibooks its model number is M8403.

1 ibook has iBook G4 printed below the screen and the other has just iBook printed and looks like it has an illuminous keyboard

the battery has a little dried orange stain in one corner which kinda makes me believe it could be a gonna.

both ibooks have the same power socket so i should be able to test them both, if i bought a power adapter.

both these ibooks could be completely dead, or they could be sleeping gems, any tips on what PSU to buy(uk) or any other help.

thanks chaps

deadpixels
Mar 13, 2007, 03:07 PM
you should get a psu for an ibook g4, the over ibook is probably a g3 (older, slower) but this psu can power up either i believe :D if it starts burning when you plug then ... you should unplug :D good luck.

Ironduke
Mar 13, 2007, 03:20 PM
you should get a psu for an ibook g4, the over ibook is probably a g3 (older, slower) but this psu can power up either i believe :D if it starts burning when you plug then ... you should unplug :D good luck.

hehe im gonna buy one of the flea in a minute.

wish me luck

Ironduke
Mar 15, 2007, 12:25 PM
Still waiting for the Power cable to arrive, both the ibooks cases are scratched to hell, does anyone know if the can be buffed up?

I spoke to my dad and he said there is nothing you can do as it looks so smooth because its moulded.

is there a place you can get spare housing cases

shu82
Mar 15, 2007, 01:05 PM
is there a place you can get spare housing cases

Search around the Marketplace. ibooks fry their logic boards all the time. The HD, ram and stuff gets scrapped. You should be able to get a decent case cheap. Love the accent. I can hear it in my head when I read your post!

shu82
Mar 15, 2007, 01:26 PM
whoops

Ironduke
Mar 16, 2007, 02:55 PM
well I got the Power adapter and

They Both start UP:D

The G4 boots with OSX 10.3
its a 800mhz PPC with 256MB with airport and a 30GB Harddrive
luckily the admin password was the Hint or I would be screwed as the previous owner had put alot of blocks on it.

The G3 starts but I get an icon that alternates between a finder and a question mark, thats all it does no boot, any ideas.

shu82
Mar 16, 2007, 02:59 PM
Sounds like the hard drive if you are lucky. I would try hooking it up to the other one via firewire and boot it in target disk mode. If that doesnt work you probably have a bad logic board, and then it goes into the parts bin.

Ironduke
Mar 17, 2007, 05:30 AM
Sounds like the hard drive if you are lucky. I would try hooking it up to the other one via firewire and boot it in target disk mode. If that doesnt work you probably have a bad logic board, and then it goes into the parts bin.

well it booted in T mode but there was only 1 folder there

shu82
Mar 17, 2007, 07:11 AM
Hmm, chould have been wiped. If it will take a fresh install, you should be fine. I would offer you some fresher case parts, but I don't believe you're in the US.

maccam
Mar 17, 2007, 08:05 AM
Well for the case go to ebay, there cheap $6-10 for screen case and for the bottom case not sure but I bet you could get all the cases (top, bottom, screen case and mybe a keyboard) for under $40 :)

Ironduke
Mar 18, 2007, 06:03 AM
the g3 is a 500mhz with 128mb ram and a 15gb hard drive
the only downside to all this has been the battery, its kaputzky

but their only 50 quid of the flea

Ironduke
Mar 18, 2007, 06:19 AM
one thing I have noticed is the g3 appears to have solar system lights that shine through the screen, is this right?

thejadedmonkey
Mar 18, 2007, 09:55 AM
one thing I have noticed is the g3 appears to have solar system lights that shine through the screen, is this right?

huh?

Ironduke
Mar 18, 2007, 10:37 AM
huh?

lol if this has been caused by the water damage then its pretty cool, it looks like stars on the screen, shall I post a pic?

Ironduke
Mar 19, 2007, 05:39 PM
damn the hd on the g4 has started showing signs of the click of death