PDA

View Full Version : iBook upgrading issues - 10.2.8>10.4.6

d_and_n5000
Mar 13, 2007, 02:42 PM
My school's updating all of our iBooks(600mhz, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD) from Jaguar to Tiger. However, in order to preserve space on the hard drive, we want to keep extra languages and print drivers from installing. OK, fine, no big deal, right? But when we pop in the CD and go through the installer, we can't uncheck the languages. The print drivers will uncheck, though. Does anybody have an idea as to why? For now, we're just letting it go, so if there isn't an easy fix, no big deal. But then how would I remove the extra languages and print drivers afterward? Thanks in advance, everyone.

mkrishnan
Mar 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
Are you installing OS X on the computers one at a time or are you installing a pre-config Tiger disk image to each computer?

If the latter, you can use Monolingual, etc, to strip down the build after you install it on a testbed, get it all set up, and then image it. If the former, then it seems like too much trouble.

d_and_n5000
Mar 13, 2007, 03:01 PM
Are you installing OS X on the computers one at a time or are you installing a pre-config Tiger disk image to each computer?

If the latter, you can use Monolingual, etc, to strip down the build after you install it on a testbed, get it all set up, and then image it. If the former, then it seems like too much trouble.

One at a time. And with CDs, it takes forever. I've been staying after until about 4:30, doing one at a time.

And I don't think its a huge issue if they're there, but it would be nice to retain some of that space. After all, we have two HP printers they'd be connected to, and we'll never switch them to a another language, so no real use in having them there. I might suggest at school to just do it one at a time as we have time, and now worry too much about it. Its not really a huge issue. Thanks though.

Multimedia
Mar 13, 2007, 03:01 PM

If the latter, you can use Monolingual (http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/), etc, to strip down the build after you install it on a testbed, get it all set up, and then image it. If the former, then it seems like too much trouble.The man has no link manners. Link to Monolingual (http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/)

mkrishnan
Mar 13, 2007, 03:03 PM
The man has no link manners. Link to Monolingual (http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/)

G.F.E. ;)

grapes911
Mar 13, 2007, 03:06 PM
Just install it on one and totally configure it. Then use Carbon Copy Cloner and firewire to copy it from one machine to another. Once you get a few done, you can have 4 or 5 copy at once. I used to do 40 PowerMacs in less than 4 hours. You may need to go in and change the computer name, IP address, or anything else machine specific, but it saves hours and hours of work.

d_and_n5000
Mar 13, 2007, 03:10 PM
Just install it on one and totally configure it. Then use Carbon Copy Cloner and firewire to copy it from one machine to another. Once you get a few done, you can have 4 or 5 copy at once. I used to do 40 PowerMacs in less than 4 hours. You may need to go in and change the computer name, IP address, or anything else machine specific, but it saves hours and hours of work.

Now why was it exactly I didn't come on here and get advice when I first learned about this little project?:rolleyes: I wish I would have been here asking this stuff a week ago, before we have all but three done:mad: :rolleyes: Not much use worrying about it now, we'll be done within the week.