PDA

View Full Version : I want to switch, but I am sick of peoples attitude

cwedl
Jun 5, 2003, 04:38 PM
I am a Student and want to switch to a mac in september before I go to university. I will be studying geology and can't wait to get my 12" powerbook, it will allow me to do everything I want to do.

I am fed up with all the shallow minded people I talk to about macs. I told a few people at my work about the switch and they just constantly make fun of me. They say that apples are useless.

Someone try to convince me not to switch, he said that their isn't wordprocessor, presentation suite that would be compatible with wintel machines, I told him about Microsoft Office v.X. If he didn't know anything about this major program package for mac, he had no right to tell me not to switch.

I am fed of people tring to sell their point of view without the knowledge that is needed to justify thier point of view.

What do you guys think?

shadowfax
Jun 5, 2003, 04:45 PM
don't feed the idiot trolls of your life. unless you are some kind of hardcore gamer, you should be able to find a zen of computing experience with your new mac. get it and show those schmucks up with it, which is something that you can easily do with an apple laptop because they almost always make jaws drop. they are so impressive in almost every way.

also, it sounds like you need to have a look at this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26640&perpage=25&pagenumber=1) thread for some entertainment a la the crap that veteran mac users have to put up with from certain PC users.

tazo
Jun 6, 2003, 12:05 AM
yeah i agree with shadowfax. you think what you have heard is bad, scroll through a few of the pages in the thread :)

Giaguara
Jun 6, 2003, 12:11 AM
yea as the others say, don't let them run your life. want a mac, get a mac. i enjoy my life 200 % more since getting my first mac. i now hate more than ever windows (i sold the peecee.. which run linux for ages) .. like after seeing something far better it was easier to realise which one does for me. not windows.
i think htye are just envious .. i want to see how they will look on your powerbook :D

Considering
Jun 6, 2003, 08:58 AM
I've found that the majority of people in life will offer an un-educated opinion, simply because not speaking up makes the feel uncomfortable.

Working as an MCSE for the last 4 years (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), I had a lot of people look at me funny when I told them I placed my order. But for the most part, I can just point em to these forums if they have questions :D

I think (like me, a few days ago) people have many misconceptions about mac from friends/coworkers who told them what they heard, which wasn't quite correct. I've found that if you correct them, tho, they normally tend to quit arguing fast.

Just think...now there is one more educated guy walking around, who knows that office comes on mac. Could that have been the info that causes him to switch? ;)

whooleytoo
Jun 6, 2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by cwedl
I am fed of people tring to sell their point of view without the knowledge that is needed to justify thier point of view.

What do you guys think?

There's only really one answer to this, try both and base your decision on what you like, not on what anyone (including me) tell you.

But if you do want an opinion... PC's are generally cheaper, and have greater software selection, but it only matters when it comes to things like games and utilities; there will always be a good word processor, spreadsheet, presentation program etc. on the Mac, and you only need one.

Macs have a better UI (in my opinion), are are more hassle free in general usage and when adding cameras/bluetooth devices/external disks etc.

Other than these advantages/disadvantages, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Mike.

zarathustra
Jun 6, 2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Considering
I've found that the majority of people in life will offer an un-educated opinion, simply because not speaking up makes them feel uncomfortable.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have to curb myself not to start screaming and running with my hands in the air when I eavesdrop on a BestBuy, CompUSA, etc. salesperson trying to convince buyers that they need this and that and this and a... (Hey....Ho...) :) and how macs suck. Also when in a office environment the IT guys stand around talking about the art department and their MAC's (I HATE that spelling!!!!). They snicker, adjust the pocket protectors:" and they can't even modify their registry!". Well you know what: ****** off! :p

yogi477
Jun 6, 2003, 10:23 AM
You are right about the attitude, I will be going off to uni this September with my 12" PB and I can't wait to see how everyone else's computer will have problems while my Mac continues as all the ones before it have with little or no trouble at all. BTW Which uni you going for?

patrick0brien
Jun 6, 2003, 11:57 AM
-Gents

Apologies for injecting some anthropology into this, but our experiance of this kind of discrimination and prejudice is a part of human nature.

People tend to attack things they don't understand. That's what is happening here. Most people I know who prefer PC's, but are knowlegable on Macs tend to not attack, and the Mac v. PC debate isn't really there in favor of a discussion on preference.

Just ask these attackers where they base their opinion on. Throw it back at them. I've won many converts and even a few switchers as a result - but it takes time and patience.

DreaminDirector
Jun 6, 2003, 12:37 PM
I have to agree with patrick0brien, most people who opening attack macs are those who don't know much about them. I've got several friends who used to drill me everytime they came over to my place. But when they needed a website, or a video or a dvd made, they started to see what was possible on the mac. Since then, they haven't said much and most of the conversation on computers I have with them have switched into questions and answers.

Just educate the people around you. If they dont want to listen, dont worry about them. They have enough problems to deal with. Us mac users are a really tight group, and if you need any support, we're all here to help out.

TimDaddy
Jun 6, 2003, 12:42 PM
When I was 19 my aunt bought an old mac at a yard sale. My dad told her that she had wasted her money. I forget the stats, but this was the year the iMac came out, and I was telling my dad about this many out of that many first-time computer buyers are buying macs. His response was that they are first-time buyers and too stupid to get a real computer.

When I was twenty I bought one of those stupid little iMacs. Everyone in my family has to call my dad up for help when they get a newcomputer, so I called him up, too. I didn't even open the box until he got there. He came in saying "I still think you wasted your money and you're gonna be dissapointed in a couple of weeks when the newness wears off." Whatever, I opened the box, plugged up the computer to the power and phone outlets, and said "Oh, I should've went with my first instinct, I don't need you.":D

Now, he is on a 2ghz Sony and I am on an 800mhz iMac. I keep Mail, iChat, Quicken, iTunes, and Safari open most of the time, with no slowdown in the program that I am using. I go to his house, and when he has a bunch of crap open, I ask him why his computer is so slow? What is the matter with his preemtive multitasking. He's like "Huh?" Then I'm like "You should've gotten a mac."

scem0
Jun 9, 2003, 04:55 PM
yeah, I get sick of people saying macs suck when they haven't touched a mac either at all or in the last 5 years. I also get sick of mac people who say that macs are better in all cases for all people. Or people who say macs are faster then PCs, etc.

scem0

iJon
Jun 9, 2003, 05:09 PM
all i can say is you will fit in nicely here. you can talk about stuff like this, and we all understand, and we can all laugh together. They have office for mac? Why would microsoft make anything for Mac ;)

iJon

cwedl
Jun 10, 2003, 02:57 AM
yogi477

I will going to southampton uni to study geology, I will probably go on to a law conversion course once that has finished.

Thanks everybody, I am on a gap year at the moment, I work in currys(electrical superstore - for people who live in other parts of the world). I get loads of people coming in who have not owned a computer before, I always give them the option of a mac or a pc, and explain the advantages and disadvantages of both in fact, I know that at least 20 people have gone for one, I have had many people who have been unsure which one to go for, I sit them down and gone through their problem a have had very happy customers. I also have other people coming in who want harddrive based mp3 player, I have also got people to buy the ipod, even though I had to send them down to pcworld.

Thanks everybody

solvs
Jun 10, 2003, 05:06 AM
Just smile when people say stuff like that. Let them think whatever they want and say whatever they want. I always shut people up when they say Macs suck when I ask them when the last time they used one was. And then I tell them I pity them for not being able to understand something they know nothing about. Some people just don't want to be "weird". Those people can't be helped.

Some people call themselves computer experts, but they wouldn't know what to do with Macs, Linux, etc. I am, because I do. Hate to tell some of these people, but MACS ARE COMPUTERS. Most of the IT people I know barely know their way around PCs.

I consider myself multi-platform (it's just a computer people), and I wouldn't say Macs are superior to PCs in every way. But there are a lot of things you couldn't pay me to use a PC for.

Let them make all the comments they want and play on their PCs, you can show them how you work on your Mac.

springscansing
Jun 10, 2003, 05:28 AM
Just simply ask people who say PCs suck what they do with their PCs.. especially if you know the answer will be games.

Then when they say games, say well I actually do PRODUCTIVE things with my computer such as A, B, and C, so I'm sorry if I don't have the latest shoot aliens in the head game.

Then punch them in the face and steal their girlfriend.

beez7777
Jun 10, 2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by springscansing
Then when they say games, say well I actually do PRODUCTIVE things with my computer such as A, B, and C, so I'm sorry if I don't have the latest shoot aliens in the head game.

Then punch them in the face and steal their girlfriend.

that was quite possibly the funniest thing i heard all day. (albeit it's 7 in the morning and i'm gonna be late for school) ;)

springscansing
Jun 10, 2003, 05:58 AM
Maybe its just me, but I feel brute force can really solve any problem.

If you apply enough of it. :-)

yzedf
Jun 10, 2003, 03:15 PM
The computer is just a tool. If it does what I want, and does it well, than I don't give a flying frick what it is, Mac, PC, or otherwise. I prefer Mac's to PC's for reasons mostly not related to the function of the tool itself. Nicer case design (iPod too), nicer to look at GUI etc. The BSD base is nothing special, I can get that lots of other places (cheaper $$$ too). The "just works" argument is somewhat valid, but not so much in the past 2 years.

On a daily basis I use Windows 98 (main work computer) and 2000, sometimes XP, Linux Mandrake 9.1 (home computer), FreeBSD x.x (not sure), and OS X 10.2.6 (roommates computer). They all have their uses, and they all work fine most of the time. My tastes seem to change on a daily basis, last week it was all about WindowMaker (minimalist GUI), this week I am liking KDE 3.1 (ugly but functional), and sometimes I yearn for win2k or OS X.

As long as it gets the job done...

rhpenguin
Jun 10, 2003, 04:24 PM
Dude, I just made my switch a few weeks ago after putting up with months of people calling me stupid. I have my MCSE and a ton of other certs and the people I work with constantly tell me how retarded I am for wanting a Mac let alone buy one.

I think my iBook was the best purchase I have ever made and OSX is totaly slick... Before this i have only use OSX for like 2 hours tops and since ive got my iBook ive been able to do every thing i want and its VERY STABLE doing it. My advice to you is just do it and make sure the people who ridicule you see how happy you are wiht your purchase and maybe someday once they actually use the platform maybe they will realize they were so wrong...

There... thats my two sense worth...

Cheers,
RHPeNgUiN

jefhatfield
Jun 11, 2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Considering

Working as an MCSE for the last 4 years (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), I had a lot of people look at me funny when I told them I placed my order. But for the most part, I can just point em to these forums if they have questions :D

i know this mcse who does not have any version of windows at home on his computers

he has a pc, but he runs linux on it...after a day of being a pc network administrator, and teaching pc networking at the college, the last thing he probably wants to see when he gets home is windows:p

nagromme
Jun 19, 2003, 01:30 AM
Just smile, say you used to think the same (possibly an exaggeration, but at least it avoids confrontation), and you love your Mac. Then sit with your PowerBook open and quietly enjoy any further abuse, knowing it stems half from jealousy!

You can't change people's ignorance, just give them a nudge that--along with other things they come across--MAY one day add up to a better understanding.

Fear not, the press AND the "masses" respect the Mac platform more with each coming month. Especially next month, I suspect!

PowerBook User
Jun 19, 2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by TimDaddy
When I was 19 my aunt bought an old mac at a yard sale. My dad told her that she had wasted her money. I forget the stats, but this was the year the iMac came out, and I was telling my dad about this many out of that many first-time computer buyers are buying macs. His response was that they are first-time buyers and too stupid to get a real computer.

When I was twenty I bought one of those stupid little iMacs. Everyone in my family has to call my dad up for help when they get a newcomputer, so I called him up, too. I didn't even open the box until he got there. He came in saying "I still think you wasted your money and you're gonna be dissapointed in a couple of weeks when the newness wears off." Whatever, I opened the box, plugged up the computer to the power and phone outlets, and said "Oh, I should've went with my first instinct, I don't need you.":D

Now, he is on a 2ghz Sony and I am on an 800mhz iMac. I keep Mail, iChat, Quicken, iTunes, and Safari open most of the time, with no slowdown in the program that I am using. I go to his house, and when he has a bunch of crap open, I ask him why his computer is so slow? What is the matter with his preemtive multitasking. He's like "Huh?" Then I'm like "You should've gotten a mac."
That's funny! :)

MacBandit
Jun 19, 2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
don't feed the idiot trolls of your life...........

Feed Them!!!! Feed them hot smoldering lead!!! Buahahahhaha

That is my un-educated opinion, simply because not speaking up makes me feel uncomfortable;)

Simply put the world is full of idiots and it is best if you just follow the RoadRunners example and sidestep them at the edge of the cliff and let them plunge to the valley floor belown in streaking ball of fur and fire.