PDA

View Full Version : How to de-stinkify an iBook?

livingfortoday
Mar 14, 2007, 08:59 AM
I recently bought a stripped iBook G3 from We Love Macs, and when I got it the first thing I noticed was how absolutely horrible it smelled when I opened it. Just a really bad smell of body odor. So. How can I fix this? I was hoping to either fix it up and resell it or to use it myself, but I can't possibly sell something that smells this awful.

Any ideas?

bill4588
Mar 14, 2007, 09:08 AM
pop it in the dishwasher, that should get rid of the smell ;) but honestly, the only thing I would recommend is shutting it off, remove the battery, and get a damp cloth and give it a good cleaning. Remember, no solvents or aerosol scent stuff. I'm guessing that the smell is mostly coming from the palm rests and keys, so maybe you could dampen up a dryer sheet and scrub it with that?

livingfortoday
Mar 14, 2007, 09:15 AM
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. When I take it apart again tonight maybe I'll clean the plastics with a damp cloth. Any particular cleaner you would recommend that would desmellify without harming it? It just kinda feels like the smell is a part of the iBook now - like they've merged. It's really pretty disgusting.

bill4588
Mar 14, 2007, 09:22 AM
well if you're going to completely take it apart (like removing the shell) then maybe you could use a cleaning solution. I don't have any recommendations because I'm not sure which ones are harmful. If I was in this situation I would just wipe it down with windex (NOT the screen of course), and once it dries, clean it again with cloth and water. But I would try to get some more recommendations from other people who know more about this than I do.

mick4394
Mar 14, 2007, 11:16 AM
I've destinkified several iBooks with isopropyl alcohol, inside and out.

macjay
Mar 14, 2007, 03:33 PM
I once bought a used iBook G3 with dead logic board off eBay. It absolutely WREAKED. I have a theory about it though: I think the odor had something to do with the logic board getting fried. The reason why I think this is that I also have an iBook G3 that I've had since new. I'm superclean with my laptop, and if I put my nose right up to the keyboard, there is a very, very faint version of the exact same smell that had been overpowering with that used one. I'm positive this odor is emanating from the internal components somehow.

interlaced
Mar 15, 2007, 09:17 AM
I second Isopropyl Alcohol. I used it to clean a powerbook that smelled like vodka.

mkrishnan
Mar 15, 2007, 09:27 AM
Your iBooks smell? :eek: Wowsers....

livingfortoday
Mar 15, 2007, 10:32 AM
Ok guys, thanks for the tips. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see if I can give it that new Mac smell again.

smokeyrabbit
Mar 15, 2007, 09:28 PM
Here's the last page of an undying thread on apple.com that deals with the sorrows of this issue: linky (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=207887&tstart=0&messageID=4054878#4054878). There's glue on a sticker under the keyboard that emits the iBOok smell, apparently.

OttawaGuy
Mar 15, 2007, 09:34 PM
"This is beyond B.O., this is is B.B.O.!" --George:D

macjay
Mar 15, 2007, 09:38 PM
Here's the last page of an undying thread on apple.com that deals with the sorrows of this issue: linky (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=207887&tstart=0&messageID=4054878#4054878). There's glue on a sticker under the keyboard that emits the iBOok smell, apparently.

I knew it! Thanks smokeyrabbit.

livingfortoday
Mar 15, 2007, 10:08 PM

Oh, but these two iBooks came without keyboards...

Schnebar
Mar 15, 2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah my dad had an iBook that started to smell like B.O.

But it was just the sticky stuff on the bottom of the keyboard.