Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kareem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Hey all,

Brand new mac user here, so I didn't waste any time getting vista installed on my macbook.
Install went smooth as silk with all the awesome information on this forum.

Here's my current setup.

I have a 160 gig drive
OSX: 40gig
Vista: 40gig
Extra partition: 80gig

The extra partition is for all my data.
I used bootcamp's standard procedures to get into the vista install. I then split the vista partition in two during the vista install. I didn't notice the "don't do that warning" until it was too late. I complete vista installation with drivers etc..

Everything works great. I can go back and forth between osx and vista. I can access my data partition from vista too. Just how I like it.

Here's the problem. In OSX, I can't see the data partition. The disk utility only shows osx and a "untitiled" single partition for the rest of the drive.

In the startup disk options, I only see the mac partition and the network option. No windows options.

How bad is this? Do I have to start over?

My goal is to have my data partition accessible from both osx and vista. I was planning on using macfuse for the osx side.

Is there any way I can fix this from here? I know my way around windows very well and am not a partition rookie. I just know nothing about osx or its filesystems.
Any help for how to correct my current situation or achieve my end goal would be great.

Thanks.

P.S. Loving the two finger scroll!

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
os x doesnt see the partition at all? did you try mounting the partition?

kareem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Using disk utility, it shows my drive split between "MacintoshHD" and "disk0s3".

The mount button is enable, but when I click it, it doesn't mount the partition and doesn't give any errors.
The info panel for that partition has some info that might be helpful(I hope).

It looks like it only recognizes it as the 3rd partition. This can't be good. :(

Name : disk0s3
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk0s3
Mount Point : Not mounted
Connection Bus : Serial ATA 2
Partition Type : Microsoft Basic Data
Device Tree : /PCI0@0/SATA@1F,2/PRT2@2/PMP@0/@0:3
Writable : Yes
Capacity : 108.7 GB (116,748,238,848 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : No
Can Turn Owners Off : No
Can Be Formatted : No
Bootable : No
Supports Journaling : No
Journaled : No
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.