Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
It could well be modded afterward. But if you look above the bar code in the middle it says serial number 0. I was wondering if anyone had seen this before on the back of a classic?

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Looks like a label. I never knew any Macs with barcodes on them directly, but lots of organizations, schools, etc. will label their computing equipment with a serial number. It might have been the school's first Mac. :shrug:

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Well I bought it anyway, urgh, I need to stop this, damn ebay. I will take some pics anyway when it gets here. At least I can put oregon trail on it and pretend Im 8 again. Here is the link. I think the cables, adapers and the scsi drive really sold it for me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320092853214&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fquery%3D320092853214%26MfcISAPICommand%3DGetResult%26ht%3D1%26ebaytag1%3Debayreg%26srchdesc%3Dn%26maxRecordsReturned%3D300%26maxRecordsPerPage%3D50%26SortProperty%3DMetaEndSort%26fvi%3D1

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
After looking at some other mac classics, the sticker that is on this one was a factory placed sticker. The other ones have the same bar code sticker, but where "serial number 0" is, it says "Manufactured June 1991". It does not have a not for resale sticker like other prototypes. But that could have been removed. It has the old external monitor port added on to it, but I need to dig up an old monitor, or get raped by the local apple man for the adaper (If he even still has one). This is a wierd one. It was worth the money for the head-scratching it has given me so far. I think im going to crack her open soon!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
There were some third party solutions to an external monitor for a Classic, but I also heard that Apple was thinking of including it with the original release or an update.

Keep us posted as to what it is...

If it's a proto, you've struck gold!

sonofjabba

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2007
Pa
Reminds me of the Apple II Plus I had bought at a salvation army about 12 years ago for 10 Bucks.. It had all these toggle switches all over it, and was loaded with practically every mod card you could imagine. Including the mega rare Mouse card. Which was the only reason why I bought it at the time.

I couldn't ever figure out how to get that one to work they had that thing so modded. I think it had two different Z80 Cards in it, a Graphing tablet Card, and some other stuff. I miss all my apple II's...

That II + Gave me a good Power Supply for my IIe when the one in mine Died. and I used the Mouse card. I think I might still have a stash of Apple II stuff around here somewhere. I know I have a Diskette Box Full of software still for apple II, and one for C64.

It's weird what some folks do to those older Apples...

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
I will post some pics later when I can crack it open. It might have a LC or something stashed in it. I am really anxious so play with it. The price was a little high, but its a complete setup. Why would one use a color scanner and printer on a mac classic? It may be a color mod. Oh the anticipation!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I will post some pics later when I can crack it open. It might have a LC or something stashed in it. I am really anxious so play with it. The price was a little high, but its a complete setup. Why would one use a color scanner and printer on a mac classic? It may be a color mod. Oh the anticipation!

One of the 3rd party Classic mods was a card that output to a color monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.