PDA

View Full Version : Point and shoot with usable RAW?

ewinemiller
Mar 15, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hi folks,

I've got a Nikon 5700 I've been using for the last few years that I really like, but recently I started playing around in Lightroom and the difference between what I can do with JPG and RAW becomes really noticeable. Unfortunately, while the 5700 has RAW, it's not particularly usable. It takes about 30 seconds to save a raw image even with a really fast card.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a point and shoot with reasonable zoom(10x or so) and RAW support that's actually fast enough to use?

Thanks,
Eric

filmamigo
Mar 15, 2007, 03:18 PM
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any suggestions for a point and shoot with reasonable zoom(10x or so) and RAW support that's actually fast enough to use?

Thanks,
Eric

I'm shooting with a Fuji S5000 that includes RAW. I don't find any speed difference between RAW and JPG at all. The increase in flexibility/quality really has no downside.

You might want to check out other (newer) Fujis.

PkennethV
Mar 16, 2007, 04:37 PM
You may like the Panasonic Lumix FZ-50 (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06071905panasonicfz50.asp) Shoots RAW and has a12Xoptical zoom.

Grimace
Mar 16, 2007, 05:35 PM
I experimented with a different Panasonic Lumix camera (an actual point-and-shoot) and loved it. It's native resolution was widescreen, and I really liked that for shots. I'll post the model number if I can remember -- it is a current offering.

PkennethV
Mar 16, 2007, 05:38 PM
I experimented with a different Panasonic Lumix camera (an actual point-and-shoot) and loved it. It's native resolution was widescreen, and I really liked that for shots. I'll post the model number if I can remember -- it is a current offering.

Just a note. *Some* Lumix cameras are nativly widescreen-not all are (The FZ 50 isn't).

artalliance
Mar 16, 2007, 05:40 PM

I think you are talking about the Panasonic Lumix LX 2.

In addition, you can also check out its slightly more expensive sister model, the Leica D-Lux 3.

xfiftyfour
Mar 16, 2007, 06:38 PM
I had the Fujifilm e900 and it was a great little camera with RAW support.