Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
from MacAddict:

At, of all place, Disneyland Paris, Motorola announced that it's planning both a 3GHz PowerPC and a 2GHz dual-core chip (essentially two processors on the same chip). There was no word as to whether the announcements were made in Fantasyland -- but, hey, if Motorola gets into a gigahertz war with IBM's soon-to-be-released PowerPC 970, the winners could be all of us power-hungry Mac addicts.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
No timeline for delivery though. And if its like the other rumor here about the dual core chips we're talking '04. So that pretty much is too little too late as far as I'm concerned.

It is weird thougth that we're hearing this now with the pending debut of the IBM 970.

D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Dual core, RIO, 3GHz...

Are yesterday's news, they will not carry the Mac platform forward.

They lack 1 vital piece of information to bring joy to Apple users.

The damn 32-bit address bus is a brick wall Mac users are smacking into today (2 GB of memory folks then splat).

Unless Motorola talks about extending the address bus to 48- or 64-bits, this chip is pretty much EOLd.

We don't need a 64-bit chip, only a fast bus (in GB/S) and an extended address range.

But if the only way to get the address extension and big kick in the bus is with the 64-bit PPC 970, who are we to argue.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Dual core, RIO, 3GHz...

The damn 32-bit address bus is a brick wall Mac users are smacking into today (2 GB of memory folks then splat).

Unless Motorola talks about extending the address bus to 48- or 64-bits, this chip is pretty much EOLd.

We don't need a 64-bit chip, only a fast bus (in GB/S) and an extended address range.

But if the only way to get the address extension and big kick in the bus is with the 64-bit PPC 970, who are we to argue.
32bit can actually address 4GB of memory.

I do agree with you regarding bus speeds, we need more, now.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think this is simply a dream by motorola, they really should worry about getting to 2 gigs before they shout all over themself about 3 gigs. Take it with a grain of salt. With Motorola i would say seeing is believing, and we have seen nothing yet.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You should note the beginning paragraph: "with an updated roadmap for the development of the technology over the next two to three years."

It will be a while until we see any results.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Maybe the G4 will stay a psosibility for "low-end" Mac's: eMac (maybe eBook?).

If (big if), Motorola does suddenly want to keep on making procs for desktop computers, then having some options (competition) in the PPC world is good.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
It wouldn't surprise me to see Motorola kick things into gear with G4 development.

After reading more information than I ever cared to over at Ars, I'm of the opinion that Motorola stands to lose a significant portion of its revenue if it loses Apple. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me to see the announcement of significantly faster G4s even if heat and price become significant issues.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by rice_web
It wouldn't surprise me to see Motorola kick things into gear with G4 development.

After reading more information than I ever cared to over at Ars, I'm of the opinion that Motorola stands to lose a significant portion of its revenue if it loses Apple. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me to see the announcement of significantly faster G4s even if heat and price become significant issues.

I agree, but everyone knew that Apple had to jump ship, if Moto couldn't keep up.
So I can't imagine Moto just now waking up! maybe they suddenly found a way to do the job cheaper. Just half a year ago they stated that they would focus on making embedded chips..... and now this. Strange, to say the least.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Dual core, RIO, 3GHz...

4 GB is more than enough for 95% of consumers, you act like 32 bit is obsolete.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
what is this? five moto-related rumors/announcements this week? if moto can actually stay on track, this would lend some validiy to the cheap mac box idea...i'd imagine dual core 3ghz G4's would be pretty kick ass.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
2006 == 3GHz??

This road map was to take place over the next two to three years.

I am sorry, but I doubt a 3GHz PowerPC will have any different standing than the 1GHz PPC does today. Both are out dated. Furthermore, I didn't see where Moto was going to realy focus on a decent bus. More PC133 anyone? Howabout DDR 266?? These new chips **might** use most of that bandwidth...

Sorry, but Apple must use the 970, even if they never use a single 64-bit register.

Max

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
somebody over at motorola is smoking something way better than what i'm smoking, cause i don't believe a word of it...

except 'fantasy'...

:)
pnw

Cubeboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Bridgewater NJ
Unless if their's major core revisions (and this isn't just updating the front side bus), a dual core 3 Ghz G4 type processor isn't going to do much good against a Pentium 6 or Pentium 7 going at 10+ GHz with 8x hyperthreading, or a 7+ GHz PPC990 with somewhere around a 3+ Ghz system bus for that matter.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by Vlade
4 GB is more than enough for 95% of consumers, you act like 32 bit is obsolete.
Basically yes 32-bit memory addressing is obsolete, this Christmas will be the first holiday season a 64-bit PC will be offered to the masses.

Say hello to the Athalon-64s...

Look at the Motorola PowerPC they think 32- /36-bit memory addressing is all the customers really need for the next few years. (Reminds me of the prediction 640K is all anyone will ever need.)

Wave cheap PC with fast CPUs and access to lots of memory under the noses of Mac users, see them buy PCs.

Really starts looking a bit worse when you compare the 32-bit XServe to the 64-bit AMD chipped machines.

The chip core really isn't that bad, it's the lack of the address extensions and the faster bus here in the near future that looks bad.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Aren't Intel running into some serious technical and mechanical issues pushing Pentiums past 3 GHz?

And AFAIK, the next gen chips they're working on are significantly slower in clock speed than the current Pentiums, which, if you recall, doesn't mean they're slower in performance.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Originally posted by Cubeboy
Unless if their's major core revisions (and this isn't just updating the front side bus), a dual core 3 Ghz G4 type processor isn't going to do much good against a Pentium 6 or Pentium 7 going at 10+ GHz with 8x hyperthreading, or a 7+ GHz PPC990 with somewhere around a 3+ Ghz system bus for that matter.

This is what I'm talking about. Everyone assumes processors will be running at 10GHz by 2006. I don't see it happening. Not that fast anyway. Not without HUGE horizontal breakthroughs in technology.

It'd be like trying to break the sound barrier with propeller aircraft.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Aint going to burst anyones buble here ill leave that to moto or apple but at the speed of chips been increased in speed and size the current tek trend tends to be of course to shrink everything down to a size of a fleas ass...

A 3GHZ CHIP they havent even pushed it past 2 yet ..... AND WHY DISNEY LAND !!!!! And i though that the htz thing was one big con anyways ...... IBM MOTOROLA Of these 2 i choose ibm not because of the name the size of them or the products that they produce but because they dont do mobile phones.....

lol lol.....

Sabenth

Cubeboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Bridgewater NJ
Originally posted by pseudobrit
This is what I'm talking about. Everyone assumes processors will be running at 10GHz by 2006. I don't see it happening. Not that fast anyway. Not without HUGE horizontal breakthroughs in technology.

It'd be like trying to break the sound barrier with propeller aircraft.

Actually Intel has already publically stated it plans to push the Pentium 4 core over 10 Ghz by 2005. The currently accepted long term roadmap is that Prescott the Pentium 5 which is slated for release fourth quarter this year will scale to at least 5 Ghz (5.2 Ghz is the current figure) using .09 micron process and strained silicon technology before being replaced by Tejas, the Pentium 6 which will release late 2004/early 2005 and with .65 micron process, SOI, strained silicon, and whatever other technique available by this time is expected to scale to to least 9 GHz (9.6 Ghz is the current widely accepted figure) before being replaced by Nehalem which will scale above 10 Ghz in 2005. The 3 Ghz Rio is expected to appear 2-3 years from now, either in 2005 or 2006 likely after the Nehalem.

Also, is their any particuler reason you picked 10 Ghz as the barrier?

Cubeboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Bridgewater NJ
Aren't Intel running into some serious technical and mechanical issues pushing Pentiums past 3 GHz?

And AFAIK, the next gen chips they're working on are significantly slower in clock speed than the current Pentiums, which, if you recall, doesn't mean they're slower in performance.

Using .13 micron process, the Pentium 4s estimated peak is 3.6 Ghz and this is mostly due to heat as several hardware sites have overclocked 3 Ghz Pentium 4s to well over 4 Ghz. Also, exactly what next generation chip are you talking about? Pentium 5 will still follow the same basic principles as Pentium 4 (fewer instructions/cycle, lots more cycles/second) and using .09 micron process and strained silicon technique, will scale to 5+ Ghz.

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002

No, actually Intel has stated that they could have 3.2 / 3.4 Ghz chips released now, and Prescott around the corner, but they haven't pushed as hard as they could because they aren't facing much competition from AMD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.