Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
How do I find the serial number for my iPod on iTunes? I know I can see it when it's plugged in, but obviously I can't do that... Any help would be great. Thanks!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Have you connected any other iPods to your computer since you last connected the stolen one? If not, you should be able to go to this site and it will find your serial number for you.

wizwaz3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
Northern Arizona
Thank you! I was so p.o.'d when my iPod wasn't in my car this morning... I doubt it'll turn up, but the Police still wanted the SN... Thanx again!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
How do I find the serial number for my iPod on iTunes? I know I can see it when it's plugged in, but obviously I can't do that... Any help would be great. Thanks!

Apple should allow you to register your iPod and later report it stolen. Then if a stolen iPod if ever again connected to iTunes
  • the IP address of the computer could be used to find the iPod. Information would be sent to the registered owner
  • A large banner would be displayed on iTunes telling the user the iPod was stolen and giving instructions for how to return it to Apple for forwarding to it's owner
  • the iPod would be disabled and basically turned into a "brick" until returned to Apple

In addition Apple could make a database of stolen serial number available so a buyer could check before buying a used iPod.

If this system were in place there would be no market for stolen iPods. All of this would cost Apple nothing except for a bit of software in the iTunes store. But I bet Apple will never do this. Every stolen iPod means someone has to replace it. Apple makes money when iPods are stolen. They have disincentive to stop the thieves.

tilman

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
If this system were put in place, people would quickly study how to circumvent it. :)

...or find ways how to annoy other people by registering their iPods as stolen.

IMHO, tracking stolen goods is a job for law enforcement, not Apple.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Apple should allow you to register your iPod and later report it stolen. Then if a stolen iPod if ever again connected to iTunes
  • the IP address of the computer could be used to find the iPod. Information would be sent to the registered owner
  • A large banner would be displayed on iTunes telling the user the iPod was stolen and giving instructions for how to return it to Apple for forwarding to it's owner
  • the iPod would be disabled and basically turned into a "brick" until returned to Apple

In addition Apple could make a database of stolen serial number available so a buyer could check before buying a used iPod.

If this system were in place there would be no market for stolen iPods. All of this would cost Apple nothing except for a bit of software in the iTunes store. But I bet Apple will never do this. Every stolen iPod means someone has to replace it. Apple makes money when iPods are stolen. They have disincentive to stop the thieves.

but what happens if someone accidently puts in the wrong serial number and the iPod that you just bought from Apple comes up as stolen? I see to many potential problems for this to be a good idea.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
If this system were put in place, people would quickly study how to circumvent it. :)

Still, ChrisA's suggestion is better than doing nothing. I think it would make it less attractive stealing an iPod.

osufnl499

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2004

Ok im having the same problem, but ive connected my nano since the ipod video came up missing. That site says itunes keeps track of the most recently connected serial numberS so is there anyway to get these off of the computer?

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
Just reference the box if you still have it, or if you bought it at an apple store you can check your receipt or request a re-print of your receipt.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj

Well, at least Apple could make sure that stolen iPods (or laptops) are detected when they are sent in for repair. It's possible for cars and bikes, so why not for electronics?

msimmons267

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
Finding the Serial Number of stolen iPod

To find the serial numbers of all iPods which have been connected to a specific Windows XP machine; look in
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPodDevices.xml
Note: The "C:" drive letter in the path above may be different on your machine, but 99% of the time it will be C:.
Note: <user> is your Windows user name.

triobot

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
Milton Keynes
i lost my ipod a while back... tried track it, it is impossible or near to it...

The serial is on the box (if you bought retail)

if it is possible to find it can someone give me an idication rather than me emailing apple my S/N and see if they could track the serial...

hmmm where i live, there are chavs (a.k.a. fools) and i don't really want to approach them as such to get it back...

GMexNw

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
iPod Stolen, need serial number

So, my iPod got stolen, I was going to file a police report but I don't have the serial number and I didn't register my iPod. I was gonna look it up to see if it would show me the last iPod I connected but I connected my other iPod the other day like an idiot. Is there any way I can find the serial number?

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
So, my iPod got stolen, I was going to file a police report but I don't have the serial number and I didn't register my iPod. I was gonna look it up to see if it would show me the last iPod I connected but I connected my other iPod the other day like an idiot. Is there any way I can find the serial number?

If your windows:

To find the serial numbers of all iPods which have been connected to a specific Windows XP machine; look in
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPodDevices.xml
Note: The "C:" drive letter in the path above may be different on your machine, but 99% of the time it will be C:.
Note: <user> is your Windows user name.

Drako

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Help Plz!

hey is there ANYWAY for me to find out what the MAC address is on my stolen Ipod?? i know that it is still on my network somwhere but i need the MAC address to find it.... :confused:

Apple will give me nothing at all.... the cops will not do anything till after X-mas.... and that gives the person that has it a lot of time to pawn it....:eek:

Edited:
I use windows vista home premium on my computer that it was setup on.

Daisy96

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2010
ipod touch

I had an ipod touch and my step sister that doesnt live with me took it and she told her mom and my dad that its her friend taylors and taylor never asked for it back. Well that is highly unbelievable me and my dad both know she is lying but her mom believes her. So i got the serial number from that ipod so how do i figure out if its mine?

Sincerly,
Daisy

Rameneater90

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
@Daisy96

Ask to take a look at the back of the iPod. The serial number of that device is on the back of it. Also, go look for your box the iPod came in. That has the serial number of that one on it. If you do get it back, password lock it. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.