PDA

View Full Version : 10.4.9 Brings Additional Phone Support

MacRumors
Mar 16, 2007, 09:25 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacUser notes that the 10.4.9 update has brought additional phone support (http://www.macuser.com/updates/1049_brings_new_phone_sync_com.php) to Apple's iSync.

According to the site, the following devices have been added to the official device list (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html):

* Motorola K1 Bluetooth + USB
* Motorola K1m Bluetooth + USB
* Motorola V3m Bluetooth + USB
* Motorola L2 Bluetooth + USB
* Samsung D600 Bluetooth
* Samsung D900 Bluetooth
* Nokia N80 Bluetooth + USB
* Nokia E61 Bluetooth + USB
* Nokia E62 Bluetooth + USB
* Nokia N71 Bluetooth + USB
* Nokia N72 Bluetooth + USB
* Nokia N73 Bluetooth + USB
* Nokia N91 Bluetooth + USB
* Nokia N93 Bluetooth + USB
* Nokia 6102 Bluetooth
* Nokia 6103 Bluetooth
* Nokia 6131 Bluetooth + USB
* Sony Ericsson K610i Bluetooth + USB
* Sony Ericsson K790i Bluetooth + USB
* Sony Ericsson K800i Bluetooth + USB
* Sony Ericsson Z525a Bluetooth + USB

mrrory
Mar 16, 2007, 09:27 AM
no sidekick 3 yet then...

storage
Mar 16, 2007, 09:27 AM
* Nokia 6131 Bluetooth + USB
YES!

lexus
Mar 16, 2007, 09:30 AM
No Vertu phones:mad:

longofest
Mar 16, 2007, 09:32 AM
For users of additional phones, people might be interested in this (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29029).

nagromme
It seems that people who choose non-Apple phones will not be left out in the cold :)

superleccy
Nokia N80. About flippin' time. :eek:

SL

Piarco
Mar 16, 2007, 09:35 AM
It always seem to be the minute that Apple get around to adding support for the phone I currently have, I'm about to upgrade to the newer model. :rolleyes:

Ah well, there are some good scripts out there for SE phones, so all's not entirely lost!

cubbie5150
Mar 16, 2007, 09:40 AM
Huh, the OP list includes the SE k70i, but I use a K790a....wonder if it'll work anyway; I'll have to try over the weekend...

Data
Mar 16, 2007, 09:42 AM
Hi all, i tried to browse a nokia N 70 phone with the usb cable attached, until now i was unable to browse the device or it would even crash my macbook if i tried to open the device, is that now supported to ?

qubex
Mar 16, 2007, 09:43 AM
I've employed a variety of hacks to iSync my Nokia N80 since I bought it in May 2006. Almost a year later, I finally get official support... though recently I upgraded to a Nokia E61, also supported!

Wouldn't it be sensible for Apple and/or cellphone manufacturers to release decent iSync plugins for their phones whenever new ones are released? I'm betting that if I run out and buy a Nokia N95 when it is finally released in a few weeks it won't be supported on iSync by neither Apple nor Nokia... but within hours the correct script will turn up on the Internet, heroically cludged together with virtually no tools and no quality control, released "as is" to glue the two halves of my technological crown together.

I truly respect these people, but their enormous efforts shouldn't be necessary. If it takes a motivated reverse-engineer less than a day to get iSync and a swanky new model of cellphone talking and syncing, it certainly wouldn't absorb any noticeable resources inside a major telecoms multinational.

Why don't companies just do it themselves, and avoid the angst and embarrassment?

JoolsG4
Mar 16, 2007, 09:44 AM
If you were disappointed to find that your shiny new Sony Ericsson phone wasn't included this time, this might make you happy!

iSync 2.3 and 2.4 Phone Plugins for the following new SE phones are available here (http://mobile.feisar.com/plugins.html):

Sony Ericsson K320
Sony Ericsson K510
Sony Ericsson K550
Sony Ericsson K618
Sony Ericsson K810
Sony Ericsson W300
Sony Ericsson W610
Sony Ericsson W700
Sony Ericsson W710
Sony Ericsson W850
Sony Ericsson W880
Sony Ericsson Z610
Sony Ericsson Z550
Sony Ericsson Z710
Sony Ericsson Z558
Sony Ericsson V630

http://mobile.feisar.com/plugins.html

These plugins are actually being demonstrated by Sony Ericsson themselves on their stand at the CeBIT 2007 techno-fair.

dextertangocci
Mar 16, 2007, 09:45 AM
Samsung D600, D900, no X820:(

MacSamurai
Mar 16, 2007, 09:45 AM
aaaaah the phones of yesterday...brings back memories

Spanky Deluxe
Mar 16, 2007, 09:52 AM
Weren't all of these unofficially supported already? I've had my N80 syncing all the time by only making one tiny edit to a plist file.

koobcamuk
Mar 16, 2007, 09:54 AM
This is not really 'news'... it even has this list on the isync site. Oh well. No good rumours I guess...

It'll be a nice day when they get a phone from Sharp supported. No biggy. :D

jvega1976
Mar 16, 2007, 09:55 AM
This suck!!!

koobcamuk
Mar 16, 2007, 09:59 AM
Weren't all of these unofficially supported already? I've had my N80 syncing all the time by only making one tiny edit to a plist file.

There's a guy here that sells that kind of thing .... :rolleyes:

Anyway,we're all just waiting for iphone now, aren't we? :eek:

I dunno... at first, I was really looking forward to it. It's still a year away, here in England. Lame. Good things come to those who wait, I guess. Although I never really wait that long.

I just got a sharp 903SH, and whilst it doesn't have isync, it does have a 3.2MP camera with 2x optical zoom - and it's 3G, which is great for emails and/or any net usage.:apple:

CaptainScarlet
Mar 16, 2007, 10:01 AM
I doubt Blackjack will be supported any time soon....:(

Alex3231
Mar 16, 2007, 10:02 AM
I have a motorola K1m (MotoKRZR) and it doesn't sync with iSync...why is this?

zephead
Mar 16, 2007, 10:05 AM
Still no Samsung Sync (A707) support... Anyone have one of those that they got to work with iSync?

calvin2006
Mar 16, 2007, 10:06 AM
I have the Red Motorola RAZR v3m but iSync says my device is not supported. Anyone else find this to be a problem? Or know of a plug in I can download?

N10248
Mar 16, 2007, 10:12 AM
YAY, my V3i works via bluetooth now, it used to crash the phone when i tried to browse it.

Alex3231
Mar 16, 2007, 10:14 AM
http://i18.tinypic.com/3ycc8dl.gif
And that is a K1m Krzr phone...SO I'm confused

ezzie
Mar 16, 2007, 10:18 AM
I have the Red Motorola RAZR v3m but iSync says my device is not supported. Anyone else find this to be a problem? Or know of a plug in I can download?

same here....but i'm stupid about bluetooth and iSync in general. :rolleyes:

am i doing something wrong?

reubs
Mar 16, 2007, 10:19 AM
So I'm guessing this means there is still no easy to sync up an LG phone, right?

Shagrat
Mar 16, 2007, 10:23 AM

But at least it works (tried yesterday after OSX upgrade) for my d600, and my girlfriends d900!

Nice actually having a phone i can sync in OSX!

onebloodonelife
Mar 16, 2007, 10:25 AM

I've got the same problem...I can put ringtones I made and everything on the phone, but still can't use iSync.

briangrapes
Mar 16, 2007, 10:28 AM
So I'm guessing this means there is still no easy to sync up an LG phone, right?Doesn't sound like it. Hmmm.

mac.life
Mar 16, 2007, 10:29 AM
Just great.

My hack allowing my Nokia E70 to sync over bluetooth (flawlessly) is now broken after this update (which, for some reason, does not included this phone which is in the same Nokia class as the others that were just added!)

I guess I'll try my hack again!

lacohido
Mar 16, 2007, 10:30 AM
Does Mac support BB Pearl yet?

koobcamuk
Mar 16, 2007, 10:30 AM
So I'm guessing this means there is still no easy to sync up an LG phone, right?

Nope. Try writing your own (easier under leopard). :D

itsme92
Mar 16, 2007, 10:32 AM

I can't seem to get my LG VX 5300 to sync either. But mabye that's because the bluetooth is locked down. (thanks a lot verizon :rolleyes: )

bommai
Mar 16, 2007, 10:59 AM
YES!

I have been using my own 6133 profile to sync my Nokia 6133 for more than a month. Apple is really slow in providing support. If they support 6131 only now, how long should normal users wait for 6133 support.

I did some hacking to get my 6133 to work.

imacdaddy
Mar 16, 2007, 11:02 AM
E61...ITS ABOUT TIME!!! Anyway, thanks Apple.

tkidBOSTON
Mar 16, 2007, 11:06 AM
I tried checking out the links already posted for additional support without success... does anyone know of a way to sync the Moto A1200 Ming?

Thanks.

emotion
Mar 16, 2007, 11:08 AM
That Samsung support is a nice surprise.

Maestro64
Mar 16, 2007, 11:08 AM
I can't seem to get my LG VX 5300 to sync either. But mabye that's because the bluetooth is locked down. (thanks a lot verizon :rolleyes: )

Your right Verizon does disable some of the bluetooth features, they want you to pay them to move information back and forth on your phone.

Tymmz
Mar 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
nice, finally i can sync my contacts with my d600. but when i try to sync my calendar my phone restarts and isync can't finish syncing.

but i'm happy i can sync contacts.

EDIT: deleted my phone's calendar entries. now i can copy my iCal dates to the phone.

syncing works flawless!

jrhone
Mar 16, 2007, 11:11 AM
Those millions of users will be pissed and not really consider the mac as a real business machine....its ridiculous...its one of the only smartphones out there thats not connected to Windows mobile and yet they cant use the bluetooth or any very cool address book features of the Mac...it pisses me off that my old motorola has more functionality with the Mac than my brand new Blackberry. I plan to seriously look at the iPhone, but it pisses me off I cant easily do stuff with my blackberry.....

yg17
Mar 16, 2007, 11:17 AM
Those millions of users will be pissed and not really consider the mac as a real business machine....its ridiculous...its one of the only smartphones out there thats not connected to Windows mobile and yet they cant use the bluetooth or any very cool address book features of the Mac...it pisses me off that my old motorola has more functionality with the Mac than my brand new Blackberry. I plan to seriously look at the iPhone, but it pisses me off I cant easily do stuff with my blackberry.....

You can sync with a BlackBerry. Just download PocketMac, it's free, and it works. I do it all the time with my Pearl.

The only minor annoyance is that I can't sync over Bluetooth, I have to use USB, but it's not that big of a deal.

EagerDragon
Mar 16, 2007, 11:35 AM
Wow missing the iPhone, I wonder if they will ever support it.

Shagrat
Mar 16, 2007, 11:36 AM
That Samsung support is a nice surprise.

Certainly is!

Let's hope this bodes better for Leopard and phone syncing.

Yvan256
No LG phones are supported, let alone my LG6200. Not that I have the USB cable anyway, but synching the address book from my Mac to my phone would be nice.

Shagrat

About 11 months after it's released...?;)

emotion
Mar 16, 2007, 11:37 AM

Where can I buy this "iPhone" you speak of?

;)

EagerDragon
Mar 16, 2007, 11:45 AM
Where can I buy this "iPhone" you speak of?

;)

Sorry is still vaporware

emotion
Mar 16, 2007, 11:48 AM
Sorry is still vaporware

Speaking of vapour. They need Googlephone (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=288063) support in there.

MacRy
Mar 16, 2007, 11:49 AM
I bought a SLVR L7 a couple of days ago and I can't seem to sync my contacts from it into my address book on my PowerBook. I can connect via bluetooth no problem and it says it's syncing through isync but the contacts just don't appear. Can anyone give me any advice on how to do this?

Yahtzee
Mar 16, 2007, 11:50 AM
I could sync my SE 800i no problem with one of the third party plug-ins before 10.4.9 but now it's broken.

Everything starts off fine (the phone is seen and starts comparing contacts) but then iSync just gives up after a few seconds saying 'The synchronization may have been cancelled on the phone'.

I'm only trying to sync one group of contacts from Address Book, not the calendar.

Maccus Aurelius
Mar 16, 2007, 11:53 AM
Certainly nice to see more supported. Lack of LG support may be the doing of evil Verison :p

Glad to sync flawlessly with my prehistoric SE T610 :D

Stella
Mar 16, 2007, 11:56 AM
The E70 has more or less the same software internally as the E61 so I suspect it will work**. At least, iSync works for me fine, since the update, and I've got a E70 too.

** actually, N70, N80, etc.. they are all Symbian 9.x phones using more or less the same firmware - with a few differences. Calendar I believe is no different from other S60 symbian 7, 8 etc phones ( which is quite lame because it needs an update fast!)

I'm surprised Apple added USB support, I suspect thats got something to do with the iPhone.

Just great.

My hack allowing my Nokia E70 to sync over bluetooth (flawlessly) is now broken after this update (which, for some reason, does not included this phone which is in the same Nokia class as the others that were just added!)

I guess I'll try my hack again!

splifft
Mar 16, 2007, 11:57 AM
still it's a shame that apple is not supporting the SE p990, m600 models as any other uiq 3 phone. isync is still way outdated; they should put some more ressources on it

Robort
Mar 16, 2007, 12:00 PM
Disappointment - still no support for the RAZR 3xx currently being issued by Cingular.

yzp
Mar 16, 2007, 12:02 PM
Motorola L2 Bluetooth + USB

i found a hack to enable my L2 in iSync......

too late ;)

tiswas
Mar 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
Since the update isync won't open on my machine, it has a problem with the new plug-ins. Anybody else found this problem?

Stella
Mar 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
still it's a shame that apple is not supporting the SE p990, m600 models as any other uiq 3 phone. isync is still way outdated; they should put some more ressources on it

I'm somewhat surprised that Apple haven't taken the line of

"If you want to sync your phone, then buy the iPhone", and stopped development of iSync.

(*of course iPhone isn't out yet ).

yzp
Mar 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
I could sync my SE 800i no problem with one of the third party plug-ins before 10.4.9 but now it's broken.

try removing contacts from your SE...... and then start over?

it wont have to compare contacts, no contacts will be ;)!

willybNL
Mar 16, 2007, 12:23 PM
We should be able to update the supported phones by an 'on the fly' update... It pretty much su**s that you have to update whole OSX to get a little XML file that is compatible with your phone.

willybNL
Mar 16, 2007, 12:25 PM

"If you want to sync your phone, then buy the iPhone", and stopped development of iSync.

Sure, and I really would quit using every apple application. Think again! Not everybody is even able to buy an iPhone as it is not available everywhere.

XIII
Mar 16, 2007, 12:27 PM
d900 supported is great news. :D

ejl10
Mar 16, 2007, 12:27 PM

No T509, either. Super slim phone for the disconnected professional.

splifft
Mar 16, 2007, 12:32 PM

I'm considering that too and since the iphone is going to sync with itunes this is likely to become true.
but still i think the iphone is not a real business device, so i feel like this is sort of a wrong marketing-strategy not supporting the smartphone line..and assuming that all those people with blackberry, p990 etc. are going to buy iphones..

Stella
Mar 16, 2007, 12:38 PM
Sure, and I really would quit using every apple application. Think again! Not everybody is even able to buy an iPhone as it is not available everywhere.

btw: If Apple did this, it would absolutely stink. But I wouldn't be too surprised if Apple did drop support for every phone except for its own cell phones, partly citing the reasons of:
- iPhone syncs better ( even though there is no reason why Apple wouldn't sync other phones just as well, such as Nokia Series60 etc )
- To encourage more sales of iPhone
- Better 'user experience' - iPhone
- Too much resources to update the growing list of cell phones.

but still i think the iphone is not a real business device, so i feel like this is sort of a wrong marketing-strategy not supporting the smartphone line..and assuming that all those people with blackberry, p990 etc. are going to buy iphones..

Spot on, the iPhone is not a business phone. All other smartphones are, though.

Digital Skunk
Mar 16, 2007, 12:43 PM
I just saw some of the features and video of the iPhone and I have to say that Apple had better put these in the next iPod. It is time for an update to that UI. It was great 8 years ago now it is time for change. I especially love the way the full screen iPod features/UI looks in the iPhone. I will hold out for ver1 of the full/touch screeen iPod (Gen 6). Even if it is buggy I will cherish it if it can do all of the iPhone's iPod features.

I would also like it to have flash memory, (... a hush falls over the crowd...) :eek: I know I know that isn't enough space... yadda yadda... but I would love to have a device that could last all day while playing music. Maybe 5 - 6 hours of video playback... Not to worried about video playback but the music playback is my big thing. And just having the thing last as long as my shuffle would make me melt into it.

Where's my vPod !! :mad:

Digital Skunk
Mar 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
Certainly nice to see more supported. Lack of LG support may be the doing of evil Verison :p

Glad to sync flawlessly with my prehistoric SE T610 :D

I think LG phones just suck. I have an LG 325 and I can't stand it! It is the worst phone i have ever owned. It is a piece of useless junk plastic that I don't think needs to be kept around for much longer.

My battery never lasts until the end of the day and i can only make 5 or 6 calls before it hits 1 bar of battery life. The reception sucks and i lose my signal in random and sporatic places, (No it isn't Sprint... it's the LG trust me:mad: ) and the thing just SUCKS :mad:

I hope no one ever supports LG phones because they all just SUCK ***K

Errgh! There goes my signal again and my phone just died on me.

WHERE'S MY Sprint IPHONE!:D

ready2switch
Mar 16, 2007, 12:53 PM
* Sony Ericsson Z525a Bluetooth + USB

Nice. No reason for me to have to switch to the iPhone now.

:p

Yahtzee
Mar 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
try removing contacts from your SE...... and then start over?

it wont have to compare contacts, no contacts will be ;)!

I'm very reluctant to do that in case it still doesn't work. Don't really want to have to re-enter all my numbers back in the phone manually.

Stella
Mar 16, 2007, 01:19 PM
I'm very reluctant to do that in case it still doesn't work. Don't really want to have to re-enter all my numbers back in the phone manually.

Use the SE Backup application that was shipped on a CD with the phone to back up your phone ( assuming you have a windows machine ).

ATG
Mar 16, 2007, 01:20 PM
Woohoo, D900!!! :D

corywoolf
Mar 16, 2007, 01:25 PM
I wish Apple liked Samsung a little more, I have the Trace and it is a great phone, except that it can't sync with iSync. At least I can still transfer files over Bluetooth with it though.

k2k koos
Mar 16, 2007, 01:34 PM
With BLuetooth file exchange, I can't browse my Blackberry 8700, it says that "the device does not have the neccesary services"...
Does that mean this blackberry model is basically useless (my thought), or is it that apple has not supported it fully yet.....

Yahtzee
Mar 16, 2007, 01:39 PM
Use the SE Backup application that was shipped on a CD with the phone to back up your phone ( assuming you have a windows machine ).

I most certainly don't have a Windows machine...

This really shouldn't be a problem - everything worked fine up to a couple of days ago under 10.4.8 with a 3rd party plug-in. The same thing happens when connected via USB so I don't think it's a Bluetooth problem.

k2k koos
Mar 16, 2007, 01:42 PM
Uhhhh, I seem to have found the answer to my own question...

http://www.discoverblackberry.com/discover/mac_solutions.jsp

mfacey
Mar 16, 2007, 01:45 PM
Have any of the Nokia E61 users managed to get their phone to connect to address book via bluetooth? I try but it just tells me to enter a passcode after which nothing happens!

I used to have the novamedia plugins installed to sync my E61 but I'm since then removed them. iSync works fine!

Any ideas?

Data
Mar 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
I still can't send SMS messages trew my phone using adressbook, that always worked fine with my SE T610, but since i have a p910i it just aint working no more, i really miss that functionality,but it seems it is something that apple does not care about only syncing works for them i guess.

mfacey
Mar 16, 2007, 01:50 PM
I stikll can't send SMS messages trew my phone using adressbook, that always worked fine with my SE T610, but since i have a p910i it just aint workuing no more, i really muiss that functionality,but it seems it is something that apple does not acre abiout only syncen works for them i guess

Whoaw dude! Spelling checker and punctuation please!

The address book integration seems to be a more widespread issue though. Its very annoying. Being able to send messages from address book is quite a nice feature normally.

aafuss1
Mar 16, 2007, 02:21 PM
iPhone-I remember from the MWSF coverage,that it's synced through iTunes.

CJD2112
Mar 16, 2007, 02:31 PM
http://i18.tinypic.com/3ycc8dl.gif
And that is a K1m Krzr phone...SO I'm confused

It is important to note that some of the syncing issues may NOT be with Mac OS X but with the service provider. Note that Verizon has intentionally crippled many of the bluetooth capabilities of their phones in order to force subscribers to use their pay services such as "Get It Now" and uploading of contact lists. If Mac users are still having difficulties syncing their phones, chances are if you're a Verizon customer it may be for those reasons. As an ex-Verizon customer I had difficulties syncing my RAZR v3 and later discovered it was due to Verizons crippling of OBEX and later crippling of contact exchange. I switched to Cingular and have none of those problems with my RAZR v3.

BLACK MAC
Mar 16, 2007, 02:47 PM
I have a motorola K1m (MotoKRZR) and it doesn't sync with iSync...why is this?

I have the same exact phone and it worked just fine. You check your phone display as you are trying to connect via bluetooth.

lorductape
Mar 16, 2007, 02:52 PM
it's like they're encouraging me NOT to buy an iphone :rolleyes:

iBookG4user
Mar 16, 2007, 02:56 PM
My Samsung SGH-T509 is still not compatible :(. I was using BluePhoneElite2 but I can't get that to work anymore without changing the date to February.

kudzudog
Mar 16, 2007, 03:00 PM
It is important to note that some of the syncing issues may NOT be with Mac OS X but with the service provider. Note that Verizon has intentionally crippled many of the bluetooth capabilities of their phones in order to force subscribers to use their pay services such as "Get It Now" and uploading of contact lists. If Mac users are still having difficulties syncing their phones, chances are if you're a Verizon customer it may be for those reasons. As an ex-Verizon customer I had difficulties syncing my RAZR v3 and later discovered it was due to Verizons crippling of OBEX and later crippling of contact exchange. I switched to Cingular and have none of those problems with my RAZR v3.

I had this problem, but found that if I shut off Bluetooth and got rediscovered through iSync, I was recognized.

Good luck!

matticus008
Mar 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't it be sensible for Apple and/or cellphone manufacturers to release decent iSync plugins for their phones whenever new ones are released?
[...]
Why don't companies just do it themselves, and avoid the angst and embarrassment?
The bigger issue is, "why does every phone manufacturer need to reinvent the wheel with each minor model variation?" Even if each manufacturer didn't buy into a single standard, why can't they at least use their own proprietary one across the line? That way, if you have a Samsung phone and your sync application of choice supports SamsungSyncProtocol, you're off to the races instead of fiddling around because the 8300gx works but the 8300gz doesn't (not real model numbers, I know).

I plan to seriously look at the iPhone, but it pisses me off I cant easily do stuff with my blackberry.....
Look into the solutions posted already, or try Google. As a former Blackberry user and a Mac user, I don't see where the problem lies. There are a few features that are possible only with their own Windows software, which is RIM's fault and no one else's.

That would be absurd. That would be like taking away support for non-Apple displays and keyboards. Apple can't kill iSync, because it's for more than just phones, and it's built with Bluetooth and USB syncing, for which there are standard profiles. They could stop developing fixes for finicky phones, but it shouldn't be up to the OS to make itself compatible with the devices. The manufacturers should make a greater effort to be compatible with Macs--the fact that Apple works to make phones compatible is bonus, not an expectation.
Spot on, the iPhone is not a business phone. All other smartphones are, though.
What makes it not a business phone? If the "install anything you want" aspect is what you're thinking, I've got news for you: most corporate phone users don't install additional software, and many are prohibited from doing so on company hardware; whatever third party software is ultimately available will probably cover all the essentials used for add-in software (IM, a few games, RSS reader, Salling Clicker). The iPhone seems to work with Exchange, and that's really the big sticking point. Text input will really be something decisive, but we just don't know yet.

Stella
Mar 16, 2007, 03:31 PM
I most certainly don't have a Windows machine...

You make it sound like its something from Satan!!

:-)

Stella
Mar 16, 2007, 03:34 PM
Yes, it would be absured.

Realistically, there isn't much incentive for phone manufacturers to make OSX software for their cell phones - there just isn't the market share.

That would be absurd. That would be like taking away support for non-Apple displays and keyboards. Apple can't kill iSync, because it's for more than just phones, and it's built with Bluetooth and USB syncing, for which there are standard profiles. They could stop developing fixes for finicky phones, but it shouldn't be up to the OS to make itself compatible with the devices. The manufacturers should make a greater effort to be compatible with Macs--the fact that Apple works to make phones compatible is bonus, not an expectation.

The iPhone lacks too many features, such as Exchange integration, also no Blackberry support. Apple may add that, or allow a 3rd party app... but its not 100% certain.

Also, the iPhone is locked to high heaven, especially to the cell networks. Not to mention its price. Blackberry dominate the corporate world and I don't think the iPhone will make a dent. The iPhone a consumer device and that is how Apple is marketing it. There are smartphones ( suitable for the corporate world ) and then there's the iPhone ( the consumer device). Worlds apart.

Additionally, there aren't any MS office viewers like found on other smartphones such as Nokia, SE, Backberry, etc. When it comes to IM - I expect the iPhone will support AIM, but the vast majority of people use MSN ( or Blackberry messaging ).

bilbo--baggins
Mar 16, 2007, 03:36 PM
Bangs head against wall...:mad:

Stella
Mar 16, 2007, 03:44 PM
I still can't send SMS messages trew my phone using adressbook, that always worked fine with my SE T610, but since i have a p910i it just aint working no more, i really miss that functionality,but it seems it is something that apple does not care about only syncing works for them i guess.

My P900 wouldn't work with AddressBook either and sending of SMS.

There was an addon for AdressBook to allow limited functionality, but it still wouldn't send SMS.

rspress
Mar 16, 2007, 04:27 PM
While I have had several phones that have been support by iSync I have not had one that was supported in Address Book.

I have a Motorola V3 RAZR, probably the most popular phone out there right now.....until the iPhone gets here and while the my phone numbers, email address, etc. sync just fine I cannot use address book to display incoming cell phone calls or send SMS messages right from address book.

I can get most of these functions by using Blue Phone Elite but it does not tie into the system like address book does. Since Blue Phone can do this with the V3 there should be no reason Apple can not do it.

When the bluetooth button pops up in Address Book and I try to pair my already paired phone it appears to work but nothing happens. At least I get the full sync function from iSync just not the bells and whistles in address book.

Tymmz
Mar 16, 2007, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know, if it is possible to go online with my Samsung D600, if I have a valid phone number, username and password?

thx!

EagerDragon
Mar 16, 2007, 05:05 PM
it's like they're encouraging me NOT to buy an iphone :rolleyes:

makes sense not to buy one at first and wait for the next version instead. 3G, more memory, less bugs, maybe 802.11n, more features.

EagerDragon
Mar 16, 2007, 05:09 PM
The one thing I want real bad is the ability to sync the calendars with multiple machines (one PC (work) and one Mac (my baby)). Obviously to the correct calendar.

So far not an easy task

superleccy
Mar 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
The one thing I want real bad is the ability to sync the calendars with multiple machines (one PC (work) and one Mac (my baby)). Obviously to the correct calendar.

Hmmm... I've been doing this successfully for quite a while.

At home I sync my Nokia N80 with my iBook (Contacts & Calendars) using iSync. Before 10.4.9 I used the Novomedia plugin.

At work I sync my Outlook calendar (I don't bother with the contacts - that does just screw things up) with my N80 using Nokia's PC suite. Apart from some tweaking of duplicate entries because (until now) iSync wouldn't sync daynotes correctly... it just works! Every time I add an appointment to either my N80, iBook or Work PC, it eventually ripples through to the other two.

To be on the safe side I also take regular backups of my OS X calendar and address book - just in case it screws up on me one day.

I also did this with my Nokia 7610 before I got my N80

SL

EagerDragon
Mar 16, 2007, 05:38 PM
Hmmm... I've been doing this successfully for quite a while.

At home I sync my Nokia N80 with my iBook (Contacts & Calendars) using iSync. Before 10.4.9 I used the Novomedia plugin.

At work I sync my Outlook calendar (I don't bother with the contacts - that does just screw things up) with my N80 using Nokia's PC suite. Apart from some tweaking of duplicate entries because (until now) iSync wouldn't sync daynotes correctly... it just works! Every time I add an appointment to either my N80, iBook or Work PC, it eventually ripples through to the other two.

To be on the safe side I also take regular backups of my OS X calendar and address book - just in case it screws up on me one day.

I also did this with my Nokia 7610 before I got my N80

SL

Does it kept them separate on the computers or does it mix them?
Do the work ones end up on the phone work calendar and the home ones in the home calendar?

superleccy
Mar 16, 2007, 06:12 PM
Does it kept them separate on the computers or does it mix them?
Do the work ones end up on the phone work calendar and the home ones in the home calendar?

It mixes them. The Mac can handle multiple calendars, as can MS Outlook, but the N80 only has 1 calendar - so everything merges on that.

SL

netdog
Mar 16, 2007, 06:15 PM
No Chocolate support yet? Just incredible.

gikku
Mar 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
lets rejoice;
* Sony Ericsson K610i Bluetooth + USB + woo hoo

it's only been about a year since release.

Surely this is major benefit to many, why wasn't this detail included in the Apple "about this.." rather than the bland and meaningless "recommended for all users" ?

MacAodh
Mar 16, 2007, 06:41 PM
You make it sound like its something from Satan!!

:-)

Isn't it????

But lads!!!! still no sagem, please please please apple... support my baby!!!

but then again, please please please sagem, support my baby!!! (yea, probably more on target :D )

zenntench_oni
Mar 16, 2007, 07:16 PM
no sidekick 3 yet then...

lol yup apple just left the sidekick on the side. . :(

madog
Mar 16, 2007, 07:38 PM

Is it really Apple's fault? Don't most of the phones that iSync support not have their own software that comes with the phone, such as with Palm phones and Blackberry and WinCE phones? Palm is just one of the companies that have their own software specifically for mac and with BB and CE you need some third party software for support.

Isn't that one of the reasons Apple is coming out with the iPhone in the first place? To fill that giant gap for business users. How effective it will be is a different story.

RedTomato
Mar 16, 2007, 08:50 PM
I look after some smartphones that run Windows Mobile 5.

Anyone here had any luck with Missing Sync from Mark/Space? I'd really like to get some feedback on what does / doesnt work before buying this software.

Phones: o2 XDA mini s (x2) and T-mobile Vario II, both on UK networks.

jrhone
Mar 16, 2007, 09:06 PM
You can sync with a BlackBerry. Just download PocketMac, it's free, and it works. I do it all the time with my Pearl.

The only minor annoyance is that I can't sync over Bluetooth, I have to use USB, but it's not that big of a deal.

syncing is only like 5% of functionality....SMS using address book. Speakerphone via the apple mic and speakers, answering the cell phone from the apple. When your cell phone rings it pops up on your mac from the address book and you can decide to answer it or not, from the mac keyboard....it turns your mac into an extension of your phone and you can set your phone to teh side and use your computer to control it. Very cool if you work in front of your computer...turn your ringer off and you can work and be notified of SMS, or actual calls right on your screen....I did this all with my old motorola phone, but cant with my blackberry....

http://www.apple.com/macbook/wireless.html

thats some things that "dumb" phones can do when they can sync with bluetooth....

matticus008
Mar 16, 2007, 10:04 PM
The iPhone lacks too many features, such as Exchange integration, also no Blackberry support.
The iPhone does work with Exchange, and Windows and Palm smartphones also lack "Blackberry support," whatever that is.
Also, the iPhone is locked to high heaven, especially to the cell networks. Not to mention its price.
So are smartphones, which are the same price as the iPhone. Unlocking them both is perfectly legal. You show me an 8GB smartphone for $600 unsubsidized anywhere, and we'll talk price.
Additionally, there aren't any MS office viewers like found on other smartphones such as Nokia, SE, Backberry, etc.
All of which, except for the upcoming version's promises, absolutely suck. You can't compose on them, and you can't make any edits without completely destroying the formatting--that's even after you go through all sorts of contortions just to be able to view a standard pleading template because of the nested tables and text areas. Business users don't use Pocket Word or Excel. A simple rich text editor like TextEdit is about all that's needed. Powerpoint would be handy if it could zoom in and out to review presentations, but because it's got a stripped down engine, it can't even properly display anything but the most basic slides. You don't have fonts, proofing tools, full formatting support, ability to manipulate charts or other embedded objects or even a way to print directly from the thing.

I suspect you think those features are more important than they are. In reality, they're nothing but a nuisance. Yes, I own a Windows Mobile smartphone, and yes, I love it. The iPhone absolutely could replace it, though. As long as it supports Salling Clicker and IM when it launches, I know a building with hundreds of professionals who will be clamoring for one.
When it comes to IM - I expect the iPhone will support AIM, but the vast majority of people use MSN ( or Blackberry messaging ).
Not in the US, they don't, but I don't see why there wouldn't be multi-protocol support for the sake of global interoperability.

Stella
Mar 16, 2007, 10:07 PM
Its Apple's fault only as far as they have poor market share, so cell phone manufacturers will not port their software to OSX.

The iPhone was a consumer smartphone. Its not aimed at business users since it lacks the capabilities. This is made very clear in the SJ SF keynote.

Is it really Apple's fault? Don't most of the phones that iSync support not have their own software that comes with the phone, such as with Palm phones and Blackberry and WinCE phones? Palm is just one of the companies that have their own software specifically for mac and with BB and CE you need some third party software for support.

Isn't that one of the reasons Apple is coming out with the iPhone in the first place? To fill that giant gap for business users. How effective it will be is a different story.

CJD2112
Mar 17, 2007, 01:46 AM

Yeah, but every body wants to blame somebody even when it's not their fault (that is Apple isn't to blame for the lack of mobile manufacturers software). Isn't that the American way? :(

wirdschonklappe
Mar 17, 2007, 03:48 AM
Still, I can't sync postal addresses and pictures with my v3i!

splifft
Mar 17, 2007, 08:29 AM
The iPhone was a consumer smartphone. Its not aimed at business users since it lacks the capabilities. This is made very clear in the SJ SF keynote.

for example:

- no e-mail push service (well push from yahoo...that's a joke! anyone using yahoo at their corporate?)

- vpn? (even if i could push mails...there is no access to my corporate network)

the iphone is never beingt able to do all that stuff you can do with a real smartphone: syncing and pushing mail, calendar, todo-lists, adress book with ms exchange and lotus notes.
Maybe things will change when they allow 3rd-party software on the iphone...like a true vpn client. but i'm pretty sure that won't happen.

RMD68
Mar 17, 2007, 10:24 AM
No LG's yet. I'm guessing that's because my LG is a Verizon phone. Most likely the Verizon compatible phones will not work with iSync. I think it's time to make a switch.

stephenl
Mar 17, 2007, 11:23 AM
I've been using iSync to sync the contacts on my KRZR from Cingular with a little description file I found easily on the web. It synced (sunk?) the names and phone #'s just fine, but that was it, no pictures or addresses.

Since this update, it still doesn't upload my address book contact photos to my phone, but if I have different contact pictures on my phone, it asks me which one I want to use. If I choose the one on my phone, it downloads it to my computer. If I choose the one on my computer, nothing happens.

I have no idea what this means, but it seems like something different is going on under the hood for contact syncing.

And speaking of phone syncing, I've given up on iCal, and now sync my phone to my google calendar with goosync and it's worked wonderfully so far.

Mammoth
Mar 17, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hm, no Samsung a640. Shame.

ajgray
Mar 17, 2007, 01:36 PM
Pretty lazy of Apple not to include Samsung D600E support alongside the D600. It's basically the exact same phone, only with a different antenna for the European market.

It's a popular phone in the UK, so here's a quick hack:

(1) Find the file 'MetaClasses.plist' via the following path:

/Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/Samsung-D600.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources/MetaClasses.plist

(2) Using TextEdit or similar, change the line 'SAMSUNG+SAMSUNG SGH-D600' to 'SAMSUNG+SAMSUNG SGH-D600E'.

(3) There's no step 3. :)

Lanbrown
Mar 17, 2007, 01:59 PM
I've employed a variety of hacks to iSync my Nokia N80 since I bought it in May 2006. Almost a year later, I finally get official support... though recently I upgraded to a Nokia E61, also supported!

Wouldn't it be sensible for Apple and/or cellphone manufacturers to release decent iSync plugins for their phones whenever new ones are released? I'm betting that if I run out and buy a Nokia N95 when it is finally released in a few weeks it won't be supported on iSync by neither Apple nor Nokia... but within hours the correct script will turn up on the Internet, heroically cludged together with virtually no tools and no quality control, released "as is" to glue the two halves of my technological crown together.

I truly respect these people, but their enormous efforts shouldn't be necessary. If it takes a motivated reverse-engineer less than a day to get iSync and a swanky new model of cellphone talking and syncing, it certainly wouldn't absorb any noticeable resources inside a major telecoms multinational.

Simple, because Nokia doesn’t support any platform other than windows and Apple makes changes to iSync and can break the plug-ins. If Apple would have a set framework and allow plug-ins it would make the life of everyone easier. Then Nokia, SE and others may actually develop their own plug-ins. Until iSync is opened up, this won’t happen.

Pretty lazy of Apple not to include Samsung D600E support alongside the D600. It's basically the exact same phone, only with a different antenna for the European market.

It's a popular phone in the UK, so here's a quick hack:

(1) Find the file 'MetaClasses.plist' via the following path:

/Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/PlugIns/Samsung-D600.phoneplugin/Contents/Resources/MetaClasses.plist

(2) Using TextEdit or similar, change the line 'SAMSUNG+SAMSUNG SGH-D600' to 'SAMSUNG+SAMSUNG SGH-D600E'.

(3) There's no step 3. :)

The same for other phones announced from Nokia, the E61i. It will eb here in the next few months and is just a slight change to the existing phone, i.e. different keypad and the addition of a camera. The N80i has been available. I think it is great that Apple is adding phones, but it takes them too long. Some of these phones have been available for a year or longer and their replacements are almost available.

matticus008
Mar 17, 2007, 02:37 PM
- no e-mail push service (well push from yahoo...that's a joke! anyone using yahoo at their corporate?)
Who cares? Use IMAP and set it to poll every minute (or 30 seconds if you're really that desperate). You'll save in download times in the end anyway.
- vpn? (even if i could push mails...there is no access to my corporate network)
VPN providers will have to provide their own VPN clients. It's not like VPN is a magical catch-all.
the iphone is never beingt able to do all that stuff you can do with a real smartphone: syncing and pushing mail, calendar, todo-lists, adress book with ms exchange and lotus notes.
The iPhone can do all of those things just as well as Windows. Exchange address books require additional software on WM5, and Lotus Notes is a third-party application.

I'm not saying everyone should go out and get an iPhone, but discounting it on false notions of what it supposedly can't do is just plain asinine. Where do Symbian phones fall in with regard to Exchange global address lists? Yeah, I thought so.

Cult Follower
Mar 17, 2007, 03:14 PM
I'm glad they are expanding support.

twoodcc
Mar 17, 2007, 07:56 PM
more phone support the better i guess

iJawn108
Mar 17, 2007, 10:24 PM
Anyone notice on their macbooks that their HDDs now register as Serial ATA 2 rather than Serial ATA? in disk util.

iMikeT
Mar 17, 2007, 11:36 PM
I guess all the negatives comes from all the people who don't see their phone in that list eh?

I think I'm going to give this a negative because the iPhone isn't in that list.:p

rspress
Mar 17, 2007, 11:50 PM

I can believe some of the providers do cripple their phones but when I try to access the extra features of bluetooth phones and Address Book it will not work, yet when using Blue Phone Elite it does work. This means that either the programmers at Blue Phone found a workaround or Apples programmers can't figure out how to provide these features.

Since the V3 RAZR's are so common I find it hard to believe that Apple has not added these features to Address Book yet. I guess I will put another feature request on the feedback page at Apple.com.

thesheep
Mar 18, 2007, 02:47 AM
I'm planning to buy a new phone in the next couple of weeks and I'd like it to work with iSync, including sending SMS from my Mac, etc.

Does anyone have any really good experiences with a particular model of phone and how it works with their Mac?

(I'm not interested in a real smart-phone, just a fairly normal phone).

notsofatjames
Mar 18, 2007, 12:59 PM
its kinda like windows. but now we cant even download drivers for our phones. To sync a phone on windows means you have to get the drivers and the software. at least with os x you dont have the hassle of having to find the software for every phone. and then finding the driver. then having to restart. then having to find the usb cable.

iSync makes things a lot easier, and the amount of phones it supports is huge when you compare it to say how many phones windows supports without installing additional software. I think there should be a thread for people to moan that windows doesnt support their phone out of the box!

LSS
Mar 18, 2007, 02:09 PM
* Nokia N73 Bluetooth + USB

USB is not working for me on my N73.

The funny thing is, it worked fine before the update.
(I used the mactomster iSync plugin, but I don't know, if it had any effect on the USB.)

[EDIT:]
And I mean mounting the phone's file system via USB. Don't know about synching with USB.

Stella
Mar 18, 2007, 05:30 PM
Businesses do. That what Blackberry messaging is.

VPN - VPN providers can't provide their own VPN clients for iPhone because its a restricted environment.

But as you say, iPhone isn't for everyone ; like all products.

I would argue that iPhone can't do things as well as other smarpthones, i.e., Symbian, windows etc because the 3rd party software environment will be limited. It may have the potential - most definitely, but its been throttled.

Who cares? Use IMAP and set it to poll every minute (or 30 seconds if you're really that desperate). You'll save in download times in the end anyway.

VPN providers will have to provide their own VPN clients. It's not like VPN is a magical catch-all.

The iPhone can do all of those things just as well as Windows. Exchange address books require additional software on WM5, and Lotus Notes is a third-party application.

I'm not saying everyone should go out and get an iPhone, but discounting it on false notions of what it supposedly can't do is just plain asinine. Where do Symbian phones fall in with regard to Exchange global address lists? Yeah, I thought so.

matticus008
Mar 18, 2007, 06:47 PM
Businesses do. That what Blackberry messaging is.
They only care because they've been told to by salespeople. There's no difference between using IMAP at 1 minute and using push email, except that you might get a few messages a few seconds later (if 30 second email delays will kill you, a) you need a vacation and b) how did you survive two years ago?). IMAP even offers the benefit of allowing you to see the subjects before you waste time and bandwidth downloading unimportant messages and maintaining a persistent connection.
VPN - VPN providers can't provide their own VPN clients for iPhone because its a restricted environment.
Why? What corporate environment do you know that has a VPN client written by a 20something developer on the weekends? The VPN services will release an iPhone client if they choose to--just like they choose whether or not to release them now on other, existing platforms.

abadr
Mar 18, 2007, 06:48 PM
*cry*

DerChef
Mar 19, 2007, 09:05 AM
Great Apple and Samsung are getting a tiny bit closer together. Love my D900:)

Pity Apple would not support the excellant Samsung T9 MP3 player (but I guess thats off the menu :p :rolleyes: )

Makes iPod Nano look like a kids plastic toy from the past :(

ChrisBrightwell
Mar 19, 2007, 03:02 PM
According to the site, the following devices have been added to the official device list (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html):
* Motorola K1m Bluetooth + USB
* Motorola V3m Bluetooth + USB

Can any Verizon customers verify this? My wife and I will be buying these phones in the next 10 days. iSync compatibility would be HUGE.

foureyedsoul
Mar 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
Could anyone verify that the Sony Ericsson Z525a Bluetooth + USB support is working? Especially via Cingular? I'm looking to get a new cellphone and really would prefer that it syncs with iCal. Glitch-free address book support would be nice, but iCal is the important one.

(And yes, of course I'd prefer an iPhone, but I'm one of those who'll be priced out of the first round at least. Here's lookin' at you, version 3 - can't wait until we meet!)

SuperSnake2012
Mar 21, 2007, 12:10 AM

What about Sprint? I have a Sprint RAZR V3m and I'm having similar issues. However I can file transfer via Bluetooth as I wish... I can put files on the phone and take files off fine. :confused:

DavoMrMac
Mar 21, 2007, 01:43 PM
It would be nice to see a lot more pocket pc based mobile phone and PDA support.

MacJoe
Mar 22, 2007, 04:51 PM
What about Sprint? I have a Sprint RAZR V3m and I'm having similar issues. However I can file transfer via Bluetooth as I wish... I can put files on the phone and take files off fine. :confused:

I'm having precisely the same problem here! I can transfer wallpaper files to and from the phone but iSync simply refuses to connect to my RAZR V3m, also Sprint. The ONLY thing iSync will let me do is set up an Internet gateway, which I don't want to do.

iBookG4user
Mar 22, 2007, 10:05 PM
I'm having precisely the same problem here! I can transfer wallpaper files to and from the phone but iSync simply refuses to connect to my RAZR V3m, also Sprint. The ONLY thing iSync will let me do is set up an Internet gateway, which I don't want to do.

I think that transferring bluetooth files to and from a phone can be done on any bluetooth phone. As I have a Samsung SGH-T509 and it is not supported by iSync but I can transfer files to and from the phone using bluetooth.

ErasmusŪ
Apr 12, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hi Guys, I was just wondering if someone experienced a sincronization with a nokia 6288 as I was interessed into buying one. This page shows it isn't compatible with iSync but honestly I can't believe it http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

jtp66
Apr 16, 2007, 06:49 AM
Hi All,

I have found that Nokia has started to support Mac users at last!
From page http://europe.nokia.com/mac/
you can download iSync plug-ins also for the latest N- and E-Series phones like N95 and E65... I got plug-in for my E50 and after removing my old "hacked" plug-in it started to work ok.

meshuga
Apr 16, 2007, 07:24 AM
If you were disappointed to find that your shiny new Sony Ericsson phone wasn't included this time, this might make you happy!

iSync 2.3 and 2.4 Phone Plugins for the following new SE phones are available here (http://mobile.feisar.com/plugins.html):

Sony Ericsson K320
Sony Ericsson K510
Sony Ericsson K550
Sony Ericsson K618
Sony Ericsson K810
Sony Ericsson W300
Sony Ericsson W610
Sony Ericsson W700
Sony Ericsson W710
Sony Ericsson W850
Sony Ericsson W880
Sony Ericsson Z610
Sony Ericsson Z550
Sony Ericsson Z710
Sony Ericsson Z558
Sony Ericsson V630

http://mobile.feisar.com/plugins.html

These plugins are actually being demonstrated by Sony Ericsson themselves on their stand at the CeBIT 2007 techno-fair.

STILL NO P990 This sucks! :(

ErasmusŪ
Apr 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hi guys, does someone know how to take pictures keeping the phone horizontally with a nokia n70? I cannot find the way out... thanks