Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddohnggo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
i just got my 17" powerbook. would it be in my best interest to get applecare with it? is there a set amount of time of when i can get applecare or is it always something i can purchase?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: re: applecare

Originally posted by ddohnggo
i just got my 17" powerbook. would it be in my best interest to get applecare with it? is there a set amount of time of when i can get applecare or is it always something i can purchase?

You can purchase it anytime within the first year of free Applecare that comes with the machine.

For a laptop for some reason they are more prone to problems and I think AppleCare is a must for them.

ddohnggo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
oh sweet, i didn't know i had free applecare for a year. i'll probably purchase later on.

BigJayhawk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
New Jersey
Not free for a year . . . but CLOSE

Acutally you have Applecare "free" for 90 days. You do, however, have 1 year to add Applecare to your Mac. You also have 1 year of warranty for "free" -- you do not have 1 year "free" phone support just by purchasing your computer as you would if you purchased Applecare.

I'd recommend waiting until you need it (within the one year window, of course). Then purchase it.

Also, if you bought Monitor(s), Airport Base Stations and.or cards, keyboards, mice, Apple RAM, etc. they can be covered by the same Applecare purchase.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.