Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I was looking around at CompUSA and noted all of the drives for discs possible. I saw the Sony Blu-Ray and a Memorex/Sony/LG DVD Superdrive and was wondering that if the box says that they are only PC, does that mean that they aren't compatible with Mac?

Also can these drives be reflashed for use on a Mac? I would be very interested in sticking the Blu-Ray Sony drive on my G3.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I am not sure if they would work on a mac but i am pretty sure they would if you running bootcamp. I ordred a LaCie external Blu-Ray DVD writter and cant wait for it to get here.

aj98

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2006
I was looking around at CompUSA and noted all of the drives for discs possible. I saw the Sony Blu-Ray and a Memorex/Sony/LG DVD Superdrive and was wondering that if the box says that they are only PC, does that mean that they aren't compatible with Mac?

Also can these drives be reflashed for use on a Mac? I would be very interested in sticking the Blu-Ray Sony drive on my G3.

That means any included software is Windows only.

That said, it does not mean OS X (DVD player, iDVD, Toast, etc) won't see it and/or work correctly.

xlr8yourmac has a drive compatibility database, where you can check for issues with (many different) brands.

Personally, I don't think a G3 has neither the processing or video horsepower to decode blue-ray (or any HD source) without jerky video.

1080HD QT.mov (downloaded from QT movie trailers site) were essentially unplayable on my single G4/867 - Audio was clean, but the video track was a series of stills about 30 seconds apart, and way behind the audio. It would play 720p video cleanly.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I plan to upgrade the video card majorly on my G3 (either ATI 9200 or Nvidia FX5200 reflash) so at least I get 128MB for Blu-Ray playback.

I think that Blu-Ray doesn't need high level of processing. But most importantly I can burn Blu-Ray backups on my B and W that would be cool!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Remember to playback either BluRay or HD-DVD movies on your computer your graphics card HAS to support HDCP on its DVI port and your monitor HAS to support HDCP too....

That's going to rule out a lot of exisiting powermacs and ACD's.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I plan to upgrade the video card majorly on my G3 (either ATI 9200 or Nvidia FX5200 reflash) so at least I get 128MB for Blu-Ray playback.

I think that Blu-Ray doesn't need high level of processing. But most importantly I can burn Blu-Ray backups on my B and W that would be cool!
As far as movie playing goes I would be surprised if your G3 could do it. Back when DVDs were new computers couldn't play them back w/o some sort of hardware assist and a similar thing is going to happen w/HiDef DVDs as well. H.264 is one of the HiDef DVD codecs (MPEG2 and VC-1 are the other two) so I'd hazard a guess that if your computer can't play back the HD trailers on apple.com that it won't playback a HiDef disc.

Remember to playback either BluRay or HD-DVD movies on your computer your graphics card HAS to support HDCP on its DVI port and your monitor HAS to support HDCP too....

It's pretty much going to rule out every existing Mac. I don't even think there are any HDCP compliant video cards out yet for the Mac (and maybe only a couple for the PC if any at all). Plus the player has to be HDCP compliant as well. Basically anything involved w/playing back and/or displaying the movie has to be HDCP compliant.

Lethal

ronni3

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL

You could always use Slysoft's AnyDVD HD. It may be banned here in the States, but I'm pretty sure there are other ways of getting this piece of software. It WILL allow you to play your Blue-Ray or HD-DVD videos by bypassing the HDCP token encryption, meaning all systems will be capable of playing the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.