PDA

View Full Version : Getting More People To Fold




jimthorn
Jun 6, 2003, 03:01 PM
I was trying to think of ideas to get more people to Fold for the Macrumors team, and I came up with this...

Would there be some way to display the user's Folding stats (WUs and points) beneath the user name, status, and info when they post in the forums? This would make your Folding output a "status symbol", much like the number of posts is.

I don't know how easy/hard this would be to do, but what does everyone think?



Mr. Anderson
Jun 6, 2003, 03:08 PM
I don't know if that would be possible - putting it in your sig would be fine, but dynamic updates of that nature are something arn would have to do.

Also, you can put significant amounts of text in your location - could be an option.

D

jimthorn
Jun 6, 2003, 03:14 PM
I thought about the signature thing too, but a dynamic field that shows the genuine numbers would be the best. Also, having it next to the user stats would make it more noticeable for non-Folders, who may wonder how they can increase their numbers and gain "status".

I guess we need to see what arn has to say about this...

deryk
Jun 6, 2003, 03:18 PM
I would like to fold. At home, I am hesitant to do so. I am unable to purchase a high speed internet connection. Supposedly it will be coming this year! Once I get it at home, I will dedicate my two macs to folding.

I would like to add my work computer to the team, but am uncertain if I can do this. How does folding impact a network? I don't want my system administrators coming down on me.

Deryk

jimthorn
Jun 6, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by deryk
I would like to fold. At home, I am hesitant to do so. I am unable to purchase a high speed internet connection. Supposedly it will be coming this year! Once I get it at home, I will dedicate my two macs to folding.

You don't need high speed Internet for Folding. Your computer downloads a small work unit, crunches away at it until it's done, and then uploads the results. Modem is fine. You just need a decent processor.

MrMacMan
Jun 6, 2003, 08:21 PM
Yeah there are a couple modem folders.

I think the files are easy enough to download.

bousozoku
Jun 8, 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by deryk
I would like to fold. At home, I am hesitant to do so. I am unable to purchase a high speed internet connection. Supposedly it will be coming this year! Once I get it at home, I will dedicate my two macs to folding.

I would like to add my work computer to the team, but am uncertain if I can do this. How does folding impact a network? I don't want my system administrators coming down on me.

Deryk

I have been folding for well over a year and have only a modem. The time the modem is in use is minimal--5 to 10 minutes once the work unit finishes, which could be anywhere from 6 hours to 14 days.

As far as folding on a network, once again, there is no appreciable transmission time. It is the processor time that matters.

digitalgiant
Jun 8, 2003, 07:58 PM
I just finished my first protein!!!!!!!!!:D So I guess I am really on the team now. Feeling kind of good about myself,, and just wanted to pass it along.

Have a great day,, Digi;)

jimthorn
Jun 9, 2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by digitalgiant
I just finished my first protein!!!!!!!!!:D

Cool. Every one of those helps! From the stats page, it also looks like we had a really great day today (over 4800 points), so you can feel like you did your part for the team there too.

orangefoodie
Jun 9, 2003, 02:44 AM
*points to jimthorn's sig*

So you did that manually?

Vlade
Jun 9, 2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by digitalgiant
I just finished my first protein!!!!!!!!!:D

Me too :) Im 7% done with my second right now (55 pointer :))

jimthorn
Jun 9, 2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by orangefoodie
*points to jimthorn's sig*

So you did that manually?

Yeah, I just edited my signature manually, like Mr. Anderson suggested. It has less impact than having it over on the left under the user stats, but who knows, maybe it'll start a movement. :D

Vlade
Jun 9, 2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jimthorn
Yeah, I just edited my signature manually, like Mr. Anderson suggested. It has less impact than having it over on the left under the user stats, but who knows, maybe it'll start a movement. :D

I hope you don't mind but Im copying your sig, maybe others will too

Vlade
Jun 9, 2003, 07:06 PM
If anyone wants the code to insert into there sig here it is.

http://nuclearnova.com/folding.txt

jimthorn
Jun 9, 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
I hope you don't mind but Im copying your sig, maybe others will too

No, that's great. Copy away! :D

pEZ
Jun 9, 2003, 08:02 PM
Alright, following suit and copying. Might as well make it a team effort.....

iJon
Jun 9, 2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
I have been folding for well over a year and have only a modem. The time the modem is in use is minimal--5 to 10 minutes once the work unit finishes, which could be anywhere from 6 hours to 14 days.

As far as folding on a network, once again, there is no appreciable transmission time. It is the processor time that matters.
WTF, i thought you said werent coming here anymore?

iJon

pimentoLoaf
Jun 9, 2003, 11:55 PM
If you have a fast processor, consider crunching Genome@Home data -- if you can. Generating genomes takes less time in the long run (if you get under 80 chainlengths), so you should be able to get higher stats over the long run.

Just a thought...

jimthorn
Jun 11, 2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
If anyone wants the code to insert into there sig here it is.

http://nuclearnova.com/folding.txt

Anybody else want to participate? I think it'll help encourage more people to fold.

Veldek
Jun 11, 2003, 01:53 PM
At the moment, my mac is way to slow, but when the 970 arrives, I will start at once. So just wait some weeks...

jimthorn
Jun 11, 2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
If anyone wants the code to insert into there sig here it is.

http://nuclearnova.com/folding.txt

*sigh*

What I meant to say was: Does anyone else want to participate in showing your folding stats in your signature? I think it will encourage more people to fold for the team.

jethroted
Jun 11, 2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by jimthorn
*sigh*

What I meant to say was: Does anyone else want to participate in showing your folding stats in your signature? I think it will encourage more people to fold for the team.

I would, but it would be nice if they could update automatically. If we can't get arn to do something like that then I would be willing to do it once a week or so.

MrMacMan
Jun 11, 2003, 04:22 PM
Eh well most of us have some link to the team in our profiles... but I think for security reasons images and code cannot be put in your sig.

It only takes one, but the benifits are great they are. :rolleyes:

Speak Yoda Why do i?

jimthorn
Jun 13, 2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Eh well most of us have some link to the team in our profiles... but I think for security reasons images and code cannot be put in your sig.

Yes, but I was suggesting that if the non-Folding folks here in the forums saw other members with a "score", they might be inclined to ask about it and play along so that they could have a score to show off too. The spirit of competition and status here in the forums could drive MacRumors Team Folding's score higher overall.

I never said that dynamic code could be put in the sig, I was talking about it being part of the profile -- some kinda behind-the-scenes server code. But I don't know how realistic that is.

I know that lots of you have links to Folding info in your sigs, and that's great, but I'm talking about something that I think will have more effect. Interested people can manually insert their current score in their sig (like mine shows below). Vlade was even kind enough to put my sig code in a file you can download (a few posts above in this thread). Or do some variation on the idea. It's just to get people talking and interested and just a little competitive so that the team can gain some speed. After all, if we don't pick up some steam, we're not going to climb much higher overall, since the upper twenty or so teams outproduce us already. And a handful of newcomers are moving up very fast to pass us (remember when General Mayhem was way below us..?).

So come on everybody..!