PDA

View Full Version : Funky Sawtooth motherboard, RAM opinions wanted

GeeYouEye
Mar 16, 2007, 03:24 PM
I need to make a Sawtooth last for the next 1 or 2 OS revisions. I've gotten to buying a video card (2x/4x version of the ATi 9800 Pro Mac Edition), and I need to put in more RAM. Here's the catch: the motherboard is unstable (hard crashes and freezes in OS 9, frequent KP's in X) with RAM in the second slot. Can I put RAM in only the 1st and 3rd slots, or do I need to fill them sequentially (and thus I should look to get a 1 GB DIMM)? Also, will a 1GB ECC registered DIMM work, or would I need to get non-ECC? For some reason ECC is much cheaper at that capacity in PC133 these days.

Sherman Homan
Mar 16, 2007, 03:35 PM
You mention PC133 and putting ram in the first and third slots... the Sawtooth had four slots and used PC100 chips. It should go to 2 gigs under OS X, even though System 9 would only go to 1.5 gigs. You can mix chip capacities in any slot. In any event, did you do the PMU reset? That can solve a lot of problems.

GeeYouEye
Mar 16, 2007, 03:39 PM
You mention PC133 and putting ram in the first and third slots... the Sawtooth had four slots and used PC100 chips. It should go to 2 gigs under OS X, even though System 9 would only go to 1.5 gigs. You can mix chip capacities in any slot. In any event, did you do the PMU reset? That can solve a lot of problems.

I know it's PC100, but you can run faster memory in a slower system, it just won't run at the rated speed. Besides, PC133 is cheaper. Did PMU reset, among other things. Wouldn't even boot the diagnostic CD with a stick in the second slot. I just didn't want to damage anything if they need to be installed sequentially. It seems that there's no non-ECC PC100 RAM at 1 GB.

Sherman Homan
Mar 16, 2007, 03:42 PM
I know it's PC100, but you can run faster memory in a slower system, it just won't run at the rated speed. True that, my question was really about the fourth ram slot. You can mix 'em up, no problem.

GeeYouEye
Mar 16, 2007, 03:46 PM
True that, my question was really about the fourth ram slot. You can mix 'em up, no problem.

Excellent, I'll test it out, and see if I can't get 1.5 GB in there.