Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What kind of expert are YOU?

• im an old timer mac expert

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • im a unix convert mac expert

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • im so not any kind of expert

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Well OSX has really changed the landscape of who uses osx. all of us who have been along with apple for the full ride had become to think of ourselves as quite the mac experts.

Then OSX with its unix core came out and changed things forever.

Wondering these threads one becomes aware of a new mac expert in town — the unix convert. These guys can tweak out a system like us oldtimers wouldnt believe.

I still tweak out osx quite a bit. i dive into the terminal when i have to, but most of my work is icon pushing. Which makes me think that there is quite a divide between how a unix guy would optimize his system compared to how an oldtimer would optimize his system. Im very curious to know what you unix guys are doing. descriptions and screenshots would be very cool. shown em if u got em.

So now im wondering, how many walk among us? are us old guys obsolete? and what are you unix folks up to?

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Unix and Classic.

I'm both a Unix/Linux junkie and a Classic Mac OS junkie. So I find myself using hacks and tricks from both worlds.

I love the various interface hacks out there (Tinkertool and TransparentDock are the bomb!). But I'm also always digging in the command line. I've set up NFS shares on my "server" computer, setup swap drives on all of my machines and constantly use the command line for permissioning and user groups. Not to mention deleting pesky files with sudo rm, cp, mv, ps and the kill command, top, fink, lynx, ping, traceroute, netstat, etc., etc. etc...

Plus I do a lot of compiling/coding from the command line *and* in Cocoa via project builder. Its a great development OS.

I have to say that OS X is my perfect system. I can get over the little gripes I have with it be because it satisfies so many of my other needs.

Matthew

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
PS

You need another category in the poll for Mac loving CS graduates like me. :)

Matthew

edgecurve

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2002
Seattle
OSX only

I, for one, love OSX. It is sleek, powerful, and beautiful. I avoid OS 9 completely and the classic environment as much as possible.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I love the way X runs....looks...etc, etc...

but I know nothing about Unix....and I can do a lot more technically with 9 & under...

I don't think I'm too interested in learning all about Unix either....so I guess I'll eventually be just a "user" more than an "advanced user"...

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Non-Unix

I have been using Macs since System 3, System 7, OS 8.5, then 9.1. When I saw OS X 10.1 appear on the Apple website I decided I had to switch. I did.

I have a mediocre background on older Macs and the Classic OS, but now I am trying to devour the new OS X and learn as much as possible.

I never use UNIX.

Even for my inexperienced age (16) I have been able to create incredible 2D and 3D graphics in Appleworks and Strata, respectively, and I look forward to use Macs in college, built with OS 10, 11, whatever.

If I have to use PCs at the University (of Southern Maine) have Steve Jobs help me and get me a well-paying job, designing graphics with Appleworks!

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Non-Unix

I have been using Macs since System 3, System 7, OS 8.5, then 9.1. When I saw OS X 10.1 appear on the Apple website I decided I had to switch. I did.

I have a mediocre background on older Macs and the Classic OS, but now I am trying to devour the new OS X and learn as much as possible. I also use Classic some of the time, so I would be more of an old-timer.

I never use UNIX.

Even for my inexperienced age (16) I have been able to create incredible 2D and 3D graphics in Appleworks and Strata, respectively, and I look forward to use Macs in college, built with OS 10, 11, whatever.

If I have to use PCs at the University (of Southern Maine) have Steve Jobs help me and get me a well-paying job, designing graphics with Appleworks!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: Whoops!

Originally posted by King Cobra
My bad! I didn't realize that I hit the submit button twice!

Keep talking...

u know u can delete a post....that is...of course....u want to get the extra post in....he he he...

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
*laughs at eyelikeart and king cobra*

i take eyelikearts position....

im not too interested in the unix code to do stuff with my system. something about typing in really confusing words/terms and or symbols just to change the location of a certain folder does not interest me much.

i much rather push them pixels and do it visually. im a graphic artist...it happens.

:D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by krossfyter
*laughs at eyelikeart and king cobra*

i take eyelikearts position....

im not too interested in the unix code to do stuff with my system. something about typing in really confusing words/terms and or symbols just to change the location of a certain folder does not interest me much.

i much rather push them pixels and do it visually. im a graphic artist...it happens.

:D

many a wysiwyg web designer claim that once they learn how to code, it is actually easier to make things happen...but that may not be the case for other types of design, though

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by jefhatfield
many a wysiwyg web designer claim that once they learn how to code, it is actually easier to make things happen...but that may not be the case for other types of design, though

while I'm not a complete "know-it-all"...I'd agree u are right with that...

so far in my experience....knowing code would have done nothing for whatsoever...

now for web people...that's a completely different story...I'm sure it would be beneficial....

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
OS X all the time!

Im OS X all the time at home. I still have some learning to do but I have much of the UNIX stuff down. Im a UNIX sytem admin at work so .. .I have some experance. I run Solaris at work wich is a diffrent blend of UNIX than the BSD version that OS X is built on so things are a little diffrent than what I am used to. Im still learning UNIX and OS X UNIX.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I suck you can't edit the resources in OS X(if it has any)
like you could with resedit in OS 9

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by jefhatfield

That is what a friend of mine was saying to me. He says that alot of graphic designers these days actually lack knowledge of any kind in computing (surprising i know), so when they find out how to code they understand what tools they are using and how to use them.
I suppose its just like learning how to use the tools you need to create something.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
OS X in about an hour...

I'm a broadcast designer and have some experience with Irix, but just enough to be dangerous. "Is 'rm all' a bad thing to type?"

In about an hour I'm making the bold leap from 9 to X, although I'm a little bummed that M$ doesn't make X compatible explorer trackball software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.